The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Ben-San on September 29, 2005, 12:46:43 am

Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: Ben-San on September 29, 2005, 12:46:43 am
Japanese scientists have successfully taken photographs of a living adult giant squid for the first time. (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/0927_050927_giant_squid.html)
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: side_show on September 30, 2005, 03:50:22 am
Well I do love calamari.
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: robot_roll_call on September 30, 2005, 06:57:49 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Well I do love calamari.


Not from ammonium-based squids you don't.
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2005, 11:53:56 pm
That is beautiful.

~Paul
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: side_show on October 01, 2005, 05:08:49 am
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "side_show"
Well I do love calamari.


Not from ammonium-based squids you don't.


Hey man, you don't know what I love man.
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: Beatrice on November 07, 2005, 03:01:41 am
okay, Squids.  that is a thing i have.  "having a thing" meaning: i hate (but and almost terribly interested in) three things most of all:


1.squids (since forever)

2. vampires (since i read the illustated classics version of Dracula in second grade)

3. things in my ear (this is not an interest, i just hate it)


In fifth grade i was shown a video in class about deep sea exploration and what did they discover but a VAMPIRE SQUID SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT IN MY EAR.  it made me a fatalist.


But so squids in general, I loathe and am enraptured by them and recently found a two dollar book covering basically everything that's been found out about them since some Dutch guy figured out it's every sea monster ever to make sailors shit their #####.  skivvies, even.

So this topic, uhm.  awesomely creepy.  I knew about it but hadn't seen pictures.  

ALSO:
Quote
The study team reports that the severed tentacle repeatedly gripped the boat deck and crew after it was hauled aboard.


CRAP!

also, Bozack, Adam L. has really pushed these fears home.  this is why i hate him.
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: V-Adore on November 07, 2005, 04:28:18 am
Quote from: "Beatrice"
In fifth grade i was shown a video in class about deep sea exploration and what did they discover but a VAMPIRE SQUID SMALL ENOUGH TO FIT IN MY EAR.  it made me a fatalist.

Man, I like squids, and that's still a nightmare made flesh. I have terrifying images, but I won't share.

eeeeeeeek
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: Beatrice on November 07, 2005, 07:44:05 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
images


I bet I've seen them, and I bet they've made unborn babies cry.
Title: Holy crap, a giant squid
Post by: Bozack on November 08, 2005, 03:23:42 am
Scientists give giant squid a sensous deep-tissue massage. (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/giant_squid/images/primary/squid6.jpg)