The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: evan on September 29, 2005, 07:03:57 am

Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: evan on September 29, 2005, 07:03:57 am
Damn. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09292005)

Good thing Roast Beef's got the little fake moustache. Raoul Cousins, we heardly knew ye.

Note that the little pig and science apparatus on the first cover today also appeared in the yesterday's strip.

There's some fun little continuity in there as well, Prime Time Studios is Ray's record label that we haven't heard anything about for a few years.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: misterqueue on September 29, 2005, 10:23:09 am
I like how the pig shares the cover of Hispanic Scientist.

Plus who hasn't thought "?Beaker!", but really shouldn't it be "żBeaker?!"
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: V-Adore on September 29, 2005, 01:32:08 pm
I think the gnaborreti might even be appropriate in this instance.

Anyway, I think this is the first Jaime the Science Friend strip that has actually made me laugh. The graphic design is also pretty classy, and I like that Ray was apparently smart enough to not actually name Roast Beef in his hideous failed project.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Golfhaus on September 29, 2005, 06:14:24 pm
Well, he has some experience (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02042004) with performing under a pseudonym.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: ferocious j on September 29, 2005, 06:43:27 pm
I enjoy that all three anti-Jaime publications chose the exact same Jaime pose to depict their mortal enemy, as if zeroing in precisely on his most offensive moment.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2005, 06:55:28 pm
Is it possible that these headlines are in Beef's imagination?  That they're just what he worries will happen if they go forward?
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: James on September 29, 2005, 07:17:02 pm
That was my first thought, but the level of detail suggests not: surely Beef's nightmares wouldn't include the get-out clause of a pseudonym.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Formica on September 29, 2005, 08:32:02 pm
Quote from: "James"
That was my first thought, but the level of detail suggests not: surely Beef's nightmares wouldn't include the get-out clause of a pseudonym.

On the contrary, I think they would. There are many words that describe Beef, but amongst the chief ones I would use is "meticulous". (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03172004)
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Karva on September 29, 2005, 08:51:45 pm
Doesn't "Chinga" mean "fuck" in Spanish?

If so how can they get away with that on magazine covers?  I'm thinking this is all in RB's mind.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Doc on September 30, 2005, 03:20:39 am
Quote from: "Karva"
how can they get away with that on magazine covers?  


Because this has just pissed everyone off that no one will complain.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Doctor C on September 30, 2005, 05:54:19 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Is it possible that these headlines are in Beef's imagination?  That they're just what he worries will happen if they go forward?

Nah, based on past form if it was all in Beef's head we'd see the magazines in a series of thought bubbles above an ever-more distressed/agitated Roast Beef
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Null on September 30, 2005, 08:11:34 pm
The alt-text is great.  It's very convenient to have all those listings for blibbity-bloo.   I can see where that will save time both for work and leisure.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: jough on September 30, 2005, 10:36:09 pm
I'm a little annoyed that in the latest version of Firefox (1.0.7/WinXP) the title attribute no longer appears as a tool tip.

WTF?
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Choop on September 30, 2005, 11:24:13 pm
It does for me.

But then, I've also got Greasemonkey installed with the Comics Alt Text script active on achewood (I modified it to work with dinosaur comics too), so it just prints the title real nice-like just below the strip for me.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: CortJstr on October 01, 2005, 03:13:01 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
It does for me.

But then, I've also got Greasemonkey installed with the Comics Alt Text script active on achewood (I modified it to work with dinosaur comics too), so it just prints the title real nice-like just below the strip for me.

Actually the latest version of that script inclues Dinosaur Comics by default. There used to be a version for Diesel Sweeties but now they title appears at the top anyway.

My favorite is the script that copies the alt tag into the title field if the title field is empty. That's a dandy little script. I only wish I could use Greasemonkey at work.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2005, 05:48:44 am
Actually, the alteration I made for dinocomix was different, but complementary: it prints the email subject above the strip.

What keeps you from using Greasemonkey at work?
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: CortJstr on October 01, 2005, 03:39:52 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
What keeps you from using Greasemonkey at work?

I can't install Firefox so I'm just using an unzipped version. So it won't show Flash, Shockwave, or java/javascript (I can never keep those two straight). I'm also still stuck on 0.7 because later ones don't work as well just unzipped. I suppose I could do the USB flash drive installation but frankly the it doesn't bother me that much. And it's still better than IE.
Title: 9/29/05 - KILL THIS MAN!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2005, 03:29:41 am
HISPANIC SCIENTIST.  Not just a science magazine, but one specifically devoted to Hispanic Scientist.

~Paul