The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Suckin_Dick on October 04, 2005, 05:42:03 am

Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Suckin_Dick on October 04, 2005, 05:42:03 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10042005

hooo-wee!
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2005, 05:44:30 am
What a fabulous excuse.

Also, it's good to see the word "Jewess" deployed in its only proper context: freaking white supremacists out.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: jough on October 04, 2005, 06:31:48 am
I don't think "pickles on parade" is the most inventive non-catch-phrase that Onstad has invented - not even recently.

I think I'm going to sit this storyline out.

I'll be over here if anyone needs me.



Edit: Sweet Sticky Jesus on a bun!  4,000 posts!!!
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Doc on October 04, 2005, 07:47:22 am
Roast Beef is exactly the right person to have this conversation, he knows exactly where to take it in a polite yet show stopping manner.

*takes a moment to bask in the ludicrous number of post glory*
I don't know about you Jough but with a post count like that I'd be hesitant to post again, just because I'd hate to spoil the nice round number, though I guess now you can aim for 4444.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: filas on October 04, 2005, 08:58:03 am
okay this is a totally annoying thing to pick out, but i did so now if you don't want to be annoyed don't read the rest of this

so the white knight knows that Jaime is a cat, right? but he tells Beef that they had a "geek chinaman" what could kill and cook a civet cat.  does Beef's Jaime-moustache fool the TV audience into thinking he is a man?  a man named Raoul Cousins that worked "on computers"?

i do like the knight character, though.  he's all interrupty and complimenty.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: southworth813 on October 04, 2005, 11:45:38 am
Quote from: "jough"
I don't think "pickles on parade" is the most inventive non-catch-phrase that Onstad has invented - not even recently.

I think I'm going to sit this storyline out.

I'll be over here if anyone needs me.



Edit: Sweet Sticky Jesus on a bun!  4,000 posts!!!


Man, "pickles on parade" is all kinds of better than "sweet sticky jesus on a bun". I think I'm going to sit this thread out. I'll be over here if anyone needs me.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: misterqueue on October 04, 2005, 12:25:38 pm
Pickles on parade is an interesting image, though not a handy phrase I will co-opt any time soon.

You know.. just one pickle at the front with a feather hat and a baton all blowing on his whistle.  Maybe 62 Dill marching behind him blaring various horns.  One trips on a rock and you just know he was fresh cause he goes all CRUNCH when he hits the pavement.

Either that or it's a euphamism for c*ckes (er.. penii?) on parade.. which is a whole other image actually come to think of it.  (there now, didn't that brighten up your morning?  Vigorous!)
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Doc on October 04, 2005, 12:33:39 pm
For me the pickles on parde thing is somewhere between raining on a parade and rubbing salt in a wound so... pickles.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: MattFish on October 04, 2005, 12:36:28 pm
Quote from: "misterqueue"
Pickles on parade is an interesting image, though not a handy phrase I will co-opt any time soon.

You know.. just one pickle at the front with a feather hat and a baton all blowing on his whistle.  Maybe 62 Dill marching behind him blaring various horns.  One trips on a rock and you just know he was fresh cause he goes all CRUNCH when he hits the pavement.


Looks like it's time for me to fire up easytoon and finally make my forum avatar.

I enjoyed this strip because I love reading Beef-dialogue and for not many other reasons. It's really hard for me to get a proper image of the guy on the phone just from his implied southern dialect because he doesn't have an appropriately racist font. The squarish, dropshadow bubbles come close, but those only seem to evoke volume, and possibly old-fashionedness, not truly White Supremacy.

Nigger Minstrels might be a good name for a rock band if the world was a place of only peace and love
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Null on October 04, 2005, 12:44:13 pm
"Pickles" is a euphemism for defecation:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01302003

Though the image of pickles wearing hats and playing various brass instruments is a novel one.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: misterqueue on October 04, 2005, 01:41:24 pm
Quote from: "Null"
"Pickles" is a euphemism for defecation:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01302003

Though the image of pickles wearing hats and playing various brass instruments is a novel one.


I really should've remembered that...

damn you though... now I have images of Excrement Links wearing hats and dancing.. and that's just. not. right!
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Roger on October 04, 2005, 01:47:34 pm
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
It's really hard for me to get a proper image of the guy on the phone just from his implied southern dialect because he doesn't have an appropriately racist font. The squarish, dropshadow bubbles come close, but those only seem to evoke volume, and possibly old-fashionedness, not truly White Supremacy.


What would be a White Suprematist font? Fraktur?
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Emergent_C on October 04, 2005, 02:10:07 pm
Quote from: "filas"
so the white knight knows that Jaime is a cat, right? but he tells Beef that they had a "geek chinaman" what could kill and cook a civet cat.


A civet cat is actually a skunk, so this doesn't really represent a conflict of interest.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: miles on October 04, 2005, 02:42:01 pm
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
Quote from: "filas"
so the white knight knows that Jaime is a cat, right? but he tells Beef that they had a "geek chinaman" what could kill and cook a civet cat.


A civet cat is actually a skunk, so this doesn't really represent a conflict of interest.


Did you know (http://slate.msn.com/id/2093538/)?

I didn't.  I had no idea.  And I didn't really like today's strip that much.  In fact, this thread isn't doing much for me.  Little bits and pieces are great, but I don't think I've laughed out loud more once.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 04, 2005, 02:59:19 pm
When Ray and Beef say it, I hear "Hy-may" in my head but when the racist on the phone says it, I hear "Jay-mee."  

So is Beef a Jew just because of that whole Yo' Mama Law of Judaism?  I remember the Greek Orthodoxy being a big part of his upbringing...
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2005, 03:51:03 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
When Ray and Beef say it, I hear "Hy-may" in my head but when the racist on the phone says it, I hear "Jay-mee."  

So is Beef a Jew just because of that whole Yo' Mama Law of Judaism?  I remember the Greek Orthodoxy being a big part of his upbringing...

I suspect he's making the Jew thing up; his mother certainly doesn't appear to have been of Jewish extraction, and by the Yo' Mama Law, his father doesn't exactly count.

Also, you're exactly right on the pronunciations, I think. I suspect even Ray can pronounce it "HI-may" by now.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Roger on October 04, 2005, 04:43:11 pm
Well, technically Beef only said that his father did "lay with a Jewess", that doesn't necessarily imply he was talking about his mother...
Maybe Beef just can't lie; the worst he can do is, um... twist the truth a little?

And yes, Hi-may is exactly right.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Doctor C on October 04, 2005, 05:35:01 pm
Am I the only one who sees this arc ending up with crosses burning on Roast Beef's (okay, technically Ray's) lawn?
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 04, 2005, 06:00:46 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I don't think "pickles on parade" is the most inventive non-catch-phrase that Onstad has invented - not even recently.

I think I'm going to sit this storyline out.

I'll be over here if anyone needs me.


We won't, trust us.

Though you could use your copious spare time to move the site like you've been threatening between bitching about the price of things versus the Olden Days and yelling at those kids ot get off your lawn.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 04, 2005, 06:01:40 pm
Quote from: "filas"
okay this is a totally annoying thing to pick out, but i did so now if you don't want to be annoyed don't read the rest of this

so the white knight knows that Jaime is a cat, right? but he tells Beef that they had a "geek chinaman" what could kill and cook a civet cat.  does Beef's Jaime-moustache fool the TV audience into thinking he is a man?  a man named Raoul Cousins that worked "on computers"?

i do like the knight character, though.  he's all interrupty and complimenty.


A civet cat is not a cat. It is, I believe, a mustelid.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: filas on October 04, 2005, 06:46:21 pm
i read that they were large carnivorous cats in like africa and people get some sort of perfume from their smelliness.  maybe i should have researched deeper.

but that's not really my question . . . does the tv audience think that Jaime is a man or a cat?
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: James on October 04, 2005, 07:27:33 pm
I don't get it. I googled for "pickles on parade" and it seems like it's a thing, but everyone in this thread is talking like Onstad made it up. Is it a thing or isn't it a thing?
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 04, 2005, 08:27:44 pm
Quote from: "James"
I don't get it. I googled for "pickles on parade" and it seems like it's a thing, but everyone in this thread is talking like Onstad made it up. Is it a thing or isn't it a thing?


It's more to fun than the strip to picture someone pathetic enough that this would bother them.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: James on October 04, 2005, 09:17:59 pm
Holy shit dude, I was just wondering. I guess wondering is not cool, but being a dick to people on the internet is!
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: miles on October 04, 2005, 09:23:56 pm
Quote from: "James"
Holy shit dude, I was just wondering. I guess wondering is not cool, but being a dick to people on the internet is!


Getting your panties in a bunch isn't, though.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: jough on October 04, 2005, 09:33:45 pm
You know, Bobby, posting on an internet message board is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: AugustWest on October 04, 2005, 10:06:01 pm
Look, am I gonna have to handing down the mandatory kissing and dry humping in this thread too?
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Mantonio on October 04, 2005, 10:21:52 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Look, am I gonna have to handing down the mandatory kissing and dry humping in this thread too?

 
And I'm not too keen to start speculating which fictional animal comic characters* Cathy might bone, but if need be, I will. Trust me I will.

*Fred Basset
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 04, 2005, 11:00:52 pm
Quote from: "James"
Holy shit dude, I was just wondering. I guess wondering is not cool, but being a dick to people on the internet is!


It's more fun than the strip to watch noobies give themselves wedgies over something a total stranger typed into a box on the internet.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Suckin_Dick on October 04, 2005, 11:39:46 pm
okay re:noob bashing...

the way i see it (as a relative noob) is that we don't need to be making any personal attacks on anyone, noob or not, and then we don't need to be getting upset about these "attacks" (it is the internet after all) and we don't need to exacerbate the situation further by jumping on people who get upset.  i know this stuff has been said before, but i thought i'd put in my two cents.

and re: the strip,

i have to admit i laughed out loud at the last panel.  the implied awkward pause combined with the imagined tone of a man who just is very, very upset by this news he has just received is pretty darn funny.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 05, 2005, 12:16:01 am
My goodness, I hope y'all aren't seriously accusing me of n00b bashing - I haven't even started my warmups yet.

It's almost like someone getting bent out of shape because someone else said "It is silly to like the Cure".

Which it is.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Doc on October 05, 2005, 06:01:21 am
Today's episode of n00b (is that the standard nomenclature now?) theatre was far inferior to yesterdays, just wasn't any fun, I keep waiting for someone to hand out an Onion Offence (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02102005) card.

Seriously though I think most people here are assholes to some extent, this is the internets after all, no need to take offence at it.

Except of course for Jough who is so wonderful that he volounteers at a soup kitchen four times a week and feeds the stray cats from his neighbourhood every night.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: hello_jello on October 05, 2005, 06:31:00 am
Quote from: "Doc"
Today's episode of n00b (is that the standard nomenclature now?) theatre was far inferior to yesterdays


what we need more of is jello

I will settle all of your worries

by letting you know

pickles on parade? is a thing that means YOUR LEGS ARE ON FIRE DUE TO CANCER


seriously and that is no good because who likes cancer and fire at the same time? NO ONE. let's hug
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 05, 2005, 07:53:27 pm
Now I'm pining for THE SUGAH RAIN to return.






PS Someone, anyone, edit the "THE" out of the topic title. It's pickles on parade, not pickles on THE parade.

For shit's sake, people. Pay attention.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: AugustWest on October 05, 2005, 08:35:50 pm
Or that "To the crows with you!" guy.
Title: ain't that just pickles on the parade? 4oct05
Post by: Bozack on October 06, 2005, 06:05:32 pm
I like how the white supremacist makes sure to tell Jaime that it's pickles on the parade for BOTH of them. He's courteous.