The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: miles on October 04, 2005, 04:03:25 pm

Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: miles on October 04, 2005, 04:03:25 pm
So I'm going to Ohio tomorrow to visit some people.  But I will be spending one night (Thursday) in Louisville to see Built to Spill at Headliner's Music Hall.  Do any of you know anything about the venue?  I read somewhere that it's something like a 'no-frills' music hall.  So does that mean no booze?  Will I have to get shitfaced before I attend the show?  And if so, what's a good bar in the downtown area?
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: AugustWest on October 04, 2005, 05:19:35 pm
Headliners is not really downtown, but it is a couple of blocks away from where I used to live.  I've never been to a show there so I don't know about the availabilty of booze on site.  Two suggestions of good bars that are very close -- Spring Street Inn is about a block up Payne Street to the east.  Baxter Station is about 3 blocks up Payne Street in the other direction.  Spring Street is more of drinkin' bar.  Baxter Station is nicer and has really excellent food.

There are also tons of bars on Bardstown Road/Baxter Ave.  Also, several more upscale/neighborhood type bars on Frankfort Ave, which is one block over from Payne Street once you get past Spring Street.

Bozack, Beatrice, any input?  Where is Bozack anyway?  He and Zart have disappeared on us.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2005, 05:48:10 pm
Last I heard, Bozack was having some issues with regards to his lifestyle. He might not have computer access at the moment -- sucky, but explicable. It's Zartan I'm starting to get worried about, truth be told. You alive out there, dude?
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: CortJstr on October 04, 2005, 10:50:16 pm
Zart got hit by the "other duties as assigned" clause at work. But he's still very much alive and occasionally active at Last.fm (http://www.last.fm/user/St_Zartan/)
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: Bozack on October 06, 2005, 06:10:17 pm
Whoa, I'm here. Yeah, Headliners has quite an extensive booze catalogue. Cahoots is a good bar on Bardstown road.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: AugustWest on October 06, 2005, 07:06:16 pm
Bozack!
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: AugustWest on October 07, 2005, 03:03:49 pm
So how was the show?
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: miles on October 10, 2005, 06:07:02 am
It was...good.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 06:31:55 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Zart got hit by the "other duties as assigned" clause at work. But he's still very much alive and occasionally active at Last.fm (http://www.last.fm/user/St_Zartan/)


Alright tracker-keeper of the board, where's wombat?  She hasn't been around for a while, and she is missed!

P.S. calling you the tracker-keeper reminded me of the Trapper-Keeper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapper_Keeper), remember that thing?  It was awesome.  I would fill mine until the velcro wouldn't close anymore.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2005, 01:00:12 pm
Hey, you're right. Where the hell is Wombat?
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 01:37:23 pm
According to this encyclopedia, the wombat's natural enemy is the dingo.

Court?  You and Scooby head down to the zoo and see what I can find.  Fred, you stay here and make sure Old Man Withers stays put.  Daphne and I will take the Mystery Machine head down to the airport to pick up some tickets to Austrailia.  We'll meet back at the gates to the abandoned amusement part at dusk to check in.  Let's go team!
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2005, 05:52:55 pm
I knew you were going to be Velma at the first line of your post. She was pretty hot in that leather outfit in the second movie.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2005, 08:04:05 pm
I have not been eaten by dingos.  Internet access at work has been down all day.  Which of course means you have all gone CRAZY posting and it's going to take hours just to read it.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: miles on October 10, 2005, 08:06:46 pm
Yeah, what gives man?

If I ever go a day or two without checking, everyone goes apeshit in posting.  If I check a couple or so times a day, it's dead.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: AugustWest on October 10, 2005, 08:11:07 pm
So did you drink at any of the bars we recommended or just at Headliners?
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: miles on October 10, 2005, 08:20:48 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
So did you drink at any of the bars we recommended or just at Headliners?


Just Headliners.  Not because I don't trust and respect your opinions, of course.  My oldest friend's parents live in Louisville now, and his father has been battling cancer for some time now, so I spent most of the evening with them.  I haven't seen them in years, and his prognosis isn't great.

I drank too much anyway.  Getting drunk at concerts is kind of like eating at McDonald's for me.  I do it very infrequently because it always ends very badly.  But the time between the occurrences is long enough that I forget the bad experience.

I can barely remember the show, is the problem, and whether or not I made an ass of myself.

Getting drunk any other time usually works out quite well, though.
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: Beatrice on October 27, 2005, 02:58:25 pm
well i TOTALLY missed this one.  we could have met! and been ACHEWOOD BUDDIES!
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: jough on October 28, 2005, 12:32:09 am
Maybe ju an' Miles are AMIGOS!
Title: Louisville -- Venues and Bars
Post by: miles on October 29, 2005, 05:52:18 am
I did have an Achewood Buddy once.  Then he got married.  Now I'm lucky to talk to him once a month.