The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on October 05, 2005, 07:44:44 am

Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: jough on October 05, 2005, 07:44:44 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10052005

Wow, that's a whole lot of nothin' frames there.

So which one of you are going to register the domain?
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Doc on October 05, 2005, 08:55:57 am
Why is Molly saying 'Beef! Wait!' and then she's not there for the rest of the strip, and for that matter how can she see there's no return address when she's standing looking down at the front?

Actually on rereading this one isn't so bad, I do like Molly's apparent fear of the letter with no return address.

Also thread should have been titled 'RAY!'
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: char * on October 05, 2005, 10:53:38 am
Quote from: "Doc"
how can she see there's no return address when she's standing looking down at the front?


Sometimes They print the return address on the front. Upper left corner.
Title: Re: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: southworth813 on October 05, 2005, 11:50:33 am
Quote from: "jough"
Wow, that's a whole lot of nothin' frames there.


Yes, I agree. Every panel should be packed to the borders with text from now on. Come on, Onstad. Stop setting up pacing, establishing a mood, and making the payoff that much better for having waited for it! I demand a punchline in every panel, and a bare minimum of 75 panels in each strip!

Do it you wife-beating hack. Write and draw this comic the way I want you to draw it. Stop being a comic genius and listen to me.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: misterqueue on October 05, 2005, 12:17:46 pm
Greeeeat.. now someone here is going out right now to start appologies4men.com I just know it.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 05, 2005, 12:22:12 pm
I think this is another case of a strip where the actual strip isn't that funny, but several of the concepts contained within are hilarious:
1) Ray being so totally chickenshit that he can't face-to-face apologize to his best childhood friend, who lives in his pool house, and instead sends this particular letter; and
2) The concept of apologies4men.com and a general "male-apology-over-the-Internet" industry. Bonus points for the concept of Ray using the worst (and likely cheapest) one.

So, yeah. I'm laughing, but for weird reasons.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Null on October 05, 2005, 01:03:51 pm
I agree that it's all in the details.  Molly's refusal to pick up the envelope, coupled with her apparent terror that Beef is actually going to touch it.   Beef's expressions.   The utter cheapness of the message.  

And I like the "Hi" welcome mat, though I wonder why it's not in Beef's favorite font.  Unless Beef is still in Ray's guesthouse, which makes the mail all the stranger.

I liked it.  
________________

100 posts of utter blather!
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 05, 2005, 01:54:15 pm
Ray obviously found apologies4men.com after what he would consider an exhaustive Google search.  Apologies4men.com had "the highest qualaty [sic] service for the sensitive man on the go" in the search result description.  That's what Ray thinks of himself, so that's the one he went with.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Paisley on October 05, 2005, 02:09:51 pm
Quote from: "Null"
I like the "Hi" welcome mat, though I wonder why it's not in Beef's favorite font.  


Because either a) Molly bought it for him (having gotten tired of tracking Ray's garden substrate du jour into the pool house),  or b) they're at her apartment.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: cellardoor on October 05, 2005, 02:20:12 pm
Heh, El Gloppo. I know of a similar place, where all the spaniards flock.
I'm going to call it El Gloppo from now on.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: robot_god on October 05, 2005, 02:28:43 pm
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 05, 2005, 03:21:58 pm
Quote from: "*****_god"
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p

That just makes it better. He's willing to hand-deliver an Internet-generated apology letter but is not willing to actually stick around and say "dude, sorry about this whole stupid Jaime the Science Friend thing?" Classic.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Choop on October 05, 2005, 03:46:47 pm
Hey, it has a stamp. If it's postmarked, it's been through the USPS; if not, apologies4men.com has an envelope printing template as well.

I'm sure Beef's been camping out at Molly's since Jaime came crashing to a halt.

Why do flip-flops annoy me? Why did I know that Molly is a flip-flop-wearer? Because Molly annoys me, and Onstad can read my thoughts?


where's the aluminum foil?
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: CortJstr on October 05, 2005, 04:04:40 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "*****_god"
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p

That just makes it better. He's willing to hand-deliver an Internet-generated apology letter but is not willing to actually stick around and say "dude, sorry about this whole stupid Jaime the Science Friend thing?" Classic.

Not wanting to be present for the actual apology is what makes it "4men." What with us having problems sharing and all.

My SO wears flip-flops to work. It boggles the very mind.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Null on October 05, 2005, 06:07:43 pm
Ray must have delivered it.  Actually, he probably had it mailed to Beef's room, realised Beef was hiding at Molly's, took it out of the mailbox and hand delivered it.

He's probably hiding in nearby bushes even now.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: robot_god on October 05, 2005, 06:08:05 pm
Quote from: "Doc"
Why is Molly saying 'Beef! Wait!' and then she's not there for the rest of the strip


Well if you saw an anthrax letter would you stick around for someone to open it? (Yes.)

Come to think of it, this strip would have birthed Achewood's greatest story arc if the letter read 'take penicillin now, death to america.'
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: hello_jello on October 05, 2005, 06:42:26 pm
Quote from: "*****_god"
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p


 

they can't just go having mailboxes for cats now can they

can they?


actually i am unsure of the answer to this!
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Roger on October 05, 2005, 07:43:19 pm
As for Ray's lame apologies, I still prefer the Mix Tape That Actually Wasn't. As seen in http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06032002
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Simms on October 05, 2005, 08:49:34 pm
Quote from: "hello_jello"
Quote from: "*****_god"
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p


 

they can't just go having mailboxes for cats now can they

can they?


actually i am unsure of the answer to this!


It's possible Ray mailed it to his own house, went out and got the letter, then delivered it to his pool house.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: AugustWest on October 05, 2005, 09:00:00 pm
Quote from: "Simms"
Quote from: "hello_jello"
Quote from: "*****_god"
It seems like Ray delivered the letter.

Unless I'm wrong and mailmen knock on the door where you live. =p


 

they can't just go having mailboxes for cats now can they

can they?


actually i am unsure of the answer to this!


It's possible Ray mailed it to his own house, went out and got the letter, then delivered it to his pool house.


That would seem to me to be the most likely scenario, given that it's Ray that we're talking about.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: antioch on October 06, 2005, 01:40:02 am
Why would Ray knock on a door and then run from the door? He doesn't physically do things for others except pour them drinks and maybe grill them something. Seriously, find me a strip where he does an errand or takes something to another place.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: JordanB on October 06, 2005, 02:53:32 am
Were I Molly, I'd be suspicious of a letter
with no return address, thinking it had a celestial source.

Why is it I imagine Molly's life after escaping
from Heaven to be remarkably similar to the lives
Nazi officers must have led after fleeing to South America?
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Limmo on October 06, 2005, 06:15:14 pm
Visions of Adolf Eichmann lounging around in a sweatshirt ( with hot sauce stains spelling out MEET ME AT TACO HELL ), eating a tub of warm potato salad and reading Us Weekly.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: piepants on October 08, 2005, 06:10:29 pm
i'm the one who registered it.  does anyone know how to script or at least get started on scripting a legit apologies 4 men website?  .... would it cost me any cash?  it's just.. .. forwarding email?  i think it would be boss to have a working version.  i know some graphic designers who could do a simple little layout.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 09, 2005, 06:44:06 am
Now that's well thought out....
 I would write a business plan, build it up and sell the rights immediately if I were you.

You might actually make a little money.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: piepants on October 09, 2005, 09:59:47 am
it would be strictly non profit for nerds.  if money was made it would be donated to mr. onstad's baby food collection.  but i'm putting the website on the backburner unless anyone here wanted to throw down a little java script code that could adlib some men mail i.e. the comic strip.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2005, 07:24:53 am
You are a fool with no vision.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 08:40:20 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
You are a fool with no vision.


Zing!

AD - the above quote looks like it belongs in a fortune cookie, in fact a fortune cookie which Beef should get with ding-dong soup.  I always lament the lack of bad fortunes in cookies.  WTF?

Pie#####, why not start a negative-message fortune cookie shop as a way of funding your website.  Funding a horrible idea with a horrible idea is bound to pay off for you.  

BTW: I once broke off a date with someone in a office setting by sending them an email while in the same room as them.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 02:41:00 pm
Dude, getting dumped via email has to be the worst.

To: You
From: Me
Subject: We Need To Talk



That reminds me of the first amateur poetry journal I edited while back in college.  We sent out rejections on post cards that simply said:

"Thanks, but no."
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 10, 2005, 03:45:32 pm
Fortune cookies would gain credibility in my eye if every once in a while someone got something like "You will die of colon cancer before you turn 40."  And it's their thirty-ninth birthday.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2005, 04:20:47 pm
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"
Fortune cookies would gain credibility in my eye if every once in a while someone got something like "You will die of colon cancer before you turn 40."  And it's their thirty-ninth birthday.

Even better if they were 41.  They would be saddened that their life would soon be over, but happy that they had cheated death for a year.

~Paul
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2005, 04:23:16 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Dude, getting dumped via email has to be the worst.

To: You
From: Me
Subject: We Need To Talk



That reminds me of the first amateur poetry journal I edited while back in college.  We sent out rejections on post cards that simply said:

"Thanks, but no."

I gotta say Jough, this flirtation you are having with Mel has brought out the best in you.  I hope my pointing this out doesn't ruin it.

~Paul
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 05:26:29 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"

I gotta say Jough, this flirtation you are having with Mel has brought out the best in you.  I hope my pointing this out doesn't ruin it.


Flirtation brings out the best in everyone.  

Also, you've ruined it now.  WTF, Paul?
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 10:37:10 pm
Wait, did someone just let the air out of a ballon or something?  WTF? What was that deflating sort of sound?  Oh, wait.  I was just my heart.  Thanks a lot Paul.  Thanks a lot.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2005, 03:25:36 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Wait, did someone just let the air out of a ballon or something?  WTF? What was that deflating sort of sound?  Oh, wait.  I was just my heart.  Thanks a lot Paul.  Thanks a lot.

Believe me, you'll thank me in the long run.

~Paul
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 03:29:03 am
Long runs suck.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Bozack on October 11, 2005, 04:37:14 am
Nonononono. The harshest way of being dumped, ever, has only recently been available.
Perhaps you have heard of the Facebook. The Facebook is a social community website based around colleges; basically, if you are a student or alumni of a college, you get your own little page with your information and witty profile, and you get connected to your friends and classmates. As lame as it sounds, it's actually really good for getting contact information for people in your classes.
In your profile, there is a "Relationship Status" field; you can actually say that you're in a relationship, and link your profile to your significant other.
My point is this- on the page where you can edit your profile, right underneath the field that says "In A Relationship With: *Your Significant Other Here*", is a tiny hyperlink that says "cancel relationship," all in lower case.

cancel relationship.
relationship canceled.

Is that not the worst thing you've ever heard? Jesus. I'll bet every time two Facebook people break up, they have a fuck*ng race to their computers to be the first one to cancel the relationship.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2005, 04:51:22 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Nonononono. The harshest way of being dumped, ever, has only recently been available.
Perhaps you have heard of the Facebook. The Facebook is a social community website based around colleges; basically, if you are a student or alumni of a college, you get your own little page with your information and witty profile, and you get connected to your friends and classmates. As lame as it sounds, it's actually really good for getting contact information for people in your classes.
In your profile, there is a "Relationship Status" field; you can actually say that you're in a relationship, and link your profile to your significant other.
My point is this- on the page where you can edit your profile, right underneath the field that says "In A Relationship With: *Your Significant Other Here*", is a tiny hyperlink that says "cancel relationship," all in lower case.

cancel relationship.
relationship canceled.

Is that not the worst thing you've ever heard? Jesus. I'll bet every time two Facebook people break up, they have a fuck*ng race to their computers to be the first one to cancel the relationship.

Facebook really is sort of social cancer, huh?

Also, didn't they recently advertise their public-announcement thing as the perfect way to break up with an irritating SO? That would also be pretty terrible.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 05:42:10 am
Quote from: "Bozack"

Perhaps you have heard of the Facebook. .


Not that I'm a name-dropper or anything, but...

(http://www.armeniancaper.com/images/e-mail.png)


I am also married to the guy that lives down the hall from me, as far as facebook is concerned.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: jough on October 12, 2005, 05:46:54 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Wait, did someone just let the air out of a ballon or something?  WTF? What was that deflating sort of sound?  Oh, wait.  I was just my heart.


We'll always have TOUAMB.
Title: Apologies4Men.com - 5 Oct. 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2005, 05:50:26 am
Casablanca references are the best.  Very classy Jough.

~Paul