The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on October 09, 2005, 07:41:35 pm

Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 09, 2005, 07:41:35 pm
Yay!  Turkey and stuffing and sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie!  Yay!  Yaaaaaay!

It is a seriously beautiful day here - the golden leaves are falling from the trees and make that wonderful crunching noise, and we're off for a drive in the country to spend time with the SO's folks!

The holiday season begins................................. ..............now!
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: jough on October 09, 2005, 08:11:30 pm
Hi Smells,

You make be erudite and artistic, but man, you sure don't know your calendar.

Thanksgiving is at the end of NOVEMBER.  Last Thursday of the month.

You're not even close.

Screwy Canadians.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 03:39:22 am
Yeah, well, I had Turkey.  Did you have turkey?  Swanson's frozen dinners do not count by the way.

Actually, my calendar is a little screwy - the legitimate Canadian Thanksgiving is actually tomorrow, Monday, where I will again be eating turkey, but this time at my sister's place.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2005, 03:58:19 am
Did you give thanks that Hockey is back 'cos that's what i'm thinking a Canadian would be thankful about?

~Paul
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 04:28:13 am
Actually, at the meal my SO's uncle asked if anyone had watched "the game," but no one had, or had any interest.  We don't have an NHL team in my neck of the woods, and all the men I'm around are sporty in the "camping, giraffeing and hiking" way, not the "organized sports" way, so there's a general disinterest in Hockey most of the time any way.  e.g.: my SO's dad was too busy harvesting potatoes, and my SO's uncle trains retreivers and carves decoy ducks.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 10, 2005, 05:03:00 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Yeah, well, I had Turkey.  Did you have turkey?  Swanson's frozen dinners do not count by the way.


Does canned turkey chilli count?  I practically live off that stuff.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 07:32:54 am
No, Sunday at Chez Jough is Big Veggie Omelet Day, where the real dish is sauteed green peppers and onions (sometimes mushrooms) and the egg is merely there to hold the veggies together.

Also, today I ate with my dad (his birthday was yesterday) and made bacon too.  I haven't had bacon in I can't even remember when, but I was instantly reminded that it is the most delicious substance on the whole damned planet.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: arkabee on October 10, 2005, 01:29:50 pm
Quote from: "jough"
 I haven't had bacon in I can't even remember when, but I was instantly reminded that it is the most delicious substance on the whole damned planet.


have you had maple bacon?  i found it at walmart, but none of the other chains herebouts carry it.

oh my god it is i lahk to die so good.

however, my gurl got so addicted to it i made bacon everyday for 2 weeks and then she didn't want anymore except every once in awhile.

be warned.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 02:13:03 pm
Maple Bacon on a Bison Burger with Swiss Cheese and Fried Onions and a fresh Kaiser lightly toasted with all the fixin's is so good, you wonder why you would ever go to Burger King ever again.  It is so good, that it is very hard to eat other burgers for quite a while after.  It is the Golden Standard.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2005, 02:24:27 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Maple Bacon on a Bison Burger with Swiss Cheese and Fried Onions and a fresh Kaiser lightly toasted with all the fixin's is so good, you wonder why you would ever go to Burger King ever again.  It is so good, that it is very hard to eat other burgers for quite a while after.  It is the Golden Standard.

Oh my God.

Now I have to find bison. And maple bacon.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 02:27:51 pm
I think the phrase is the "gold standard."

I've always been more of a beef man when it came to burgers.  I've had burgers made from bison, ostrich, 'roo meat, chicken, and pork, but I always return to good not-so-lean beef to get not only the right flavour, but the right texture.  A burger should have a burgery mouth-feel.

I feel pretty strongly about this.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 02:38:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I think the phrase is the "gold standard."

I've always been more of a beef man when it came to burgers.  I've had burgers made from bison, ostrich, 'roo meat, chicken, and pork, but I always return to good not-so-lean beef to get not only the right flavour, but the right texture.  A burger should have a burgery mouth-feel.

I feel pretty strongly about this.


Oops - yes, lets not connect the delicious burger with anything like Golden Showers.  It is the Gold Standard.  Gold.

But yes, both V and Jough, Ark is right, if you like Bacon, get the Maple Stuff. It is the best.  

Also, Jough, the Bison burgers I get are the only type of burger that I think of as better than beef - they are the "President's Choice" brand, only available here in Canada.  They are so thick and meaty and juicy, and their texture is more like a burger and steak combo.  Sooo good.  If you like the sort of crumble thing that beef burger does in your mouth, I can understand your aversion to this.  For me a Bison burger is what I go for when I want something a step up from a steak, not a burger.  

Anyway, as a person who's ancestral history with the eating & prep of Bison goes way, way back, I can tell you that most people don't know how to cook Bison right.  It's way, way leaner than beef, so it can't be treated the same way at all.  It takes much less cooking time, and keeping it moist is totally key.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 02:44:20 pm
Next time I'm in Canadia I'll have to give the "President's Choice" a try.

However, shouldn't that be "Prime Minister's Choice" up there?
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 03:17:24 pm
It is the "President" of the company, not the country, that this line of products refers to.  In fact, this is the same company I used to work for with the credit card - Loblaws/SuperStore.  Each of their products is usually put out in two versions the "no name" variety, with the yellow packaging, and content of the lowest possible quality, and the "President's Choice" varity, with nicely photographed images and well designed packaging - usually the top-most quality product available, yet usually still cheeper than any of the non-store brands supplied on their shelves.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2005, 03:50:46 pm
OMG, you've met Bob Loblaw?

~Paul
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 03:59:35 pm
No, but he did walk past my cubicle once.  He brought everyone in the office (200 + people) chicken fingers and fries and cake for lunch.  It was nice.

I did meet the President and First Lady of Portugal once, when I managed the art gallery.  I gave them a private tour of the gallery with the artist.  The First Lady was clearly annoyed by the number of pre-teen nude sculptures, and I tried to be as apologetic as possible.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2005, 05:10:10 pm
A restaurant around here has bison burgers on their menu so I tried one once. Too gamey for me. But then I once had to ask a "sportsman" what sport he plays so I'm clearly not into the whole wild animals thing.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: Golfhaus on October 10, 2005, 05:58:43 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
A restaurant around here has bison burgers on their menu so I tried one once.


Yeah, we have Ruby Tuesday's around here too.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2005, 06:01:06 pm
I used to get President's Choice branded stuff all the time - either in Chicago or Cleveland, or maybe both. It was either at Giant Eagle stores or Jewel/Osco.

In fact, I think I can get some products here too - it might be that all the grocery stores that fall under "Albertson's" (Including Jewel and Safeway) carry it or did.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: andalucia on October 10, 2005, 06:30:38 pm
I went out to a vegetarian Thanksgiving potluck (entirely bisonless, I'm afraid)-- I brought roasted vegetables (zucchini, mushroom, potato, three colours of pepper, lots of garlic, with rosemary and thyme), which was most enjoyable, but the get-together was kind of annoying and I wasn't in a party-type mood, so I went home and watched a nice wholesome PT Anderson film (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118749/) with the boyfriend.

No elaborate meals, no dealing with families: a very pleasant Thanksgiving.  And I've got today off to write all the essays that are due this week.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2005, 06:36:21 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
No elaborate meals, no dealing with families: a very pleasant Thanksgiving.  And I've got today off to write all the essays that are due this week.

We're glad you've decided to spend the day with us.

PS- The roasted veggies sounds super tasty.

~Paul
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2005, 07:22:35 pm
I recall buying President's Choice products at Fred Meyer when we lived in Alaska. They usually were top-shelf, even compared to "real" brands; I remember their cookies being incandescently fantastic.

(If there's one thing I miss Alaska for, it's Freddie's. Well, also the incredible natural beauty. But Freddie's was awesome.)
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2005, 07:48:50 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
A restaurant around here has bison burgers on their menu so I tried one once.

Yeah, we have Ruby Tuesday's around here too.

I dunno, calling Ruby Tuesday a restaurant is kind of stretching things. Maybe I should've said "nice restaurant." I was referring to Clyde's, for those in the area.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: wombat on October 10, 2005, 07:54:10 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


In fact, I think I can get some products here too - it might be that all the grocery stores that fall under "Albertson's" (Including Jewel and Safeway) carry it or did.


Ah HA.  This explains why they have those cookies at the Safeway that look EXACTLY like the ones they had in the supermarket when I lived in Toronto.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: miles on October 10, 2005, 08:11:40 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I recall buying President's Choice products at Fred Meyer when we lived in Alaska. They usually were top-shelf, even compared to "real" brands; I remember their cookies being incandescently fantastic.

(If there's one thing I miss Alaska for, it's Freddie's. Well, also the incredible natural beauty. But Freddie's was awesome.)


Fred Meyer just closed down here in Utah (well, within the last two years...I think) but it's still alive and well in Seattle.  There is a new one really close to my parents, and it's even better than the one I went to growing up.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: sjlimmer on October 10, 2005, 10:27:00 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I recall buying President's Choice products at Fred Meyer when we lived in Alaska. They usually were top-shelf, even compared to "real" brands; I remember their cookies being incandescently fantastic.

(If there's one thing I miss Alaska for, it's Freddie's. Well, also the incredible natural beauty. But Freddie's was awesome.)


Fred Meyer just closed down here in Utah (well, within the last two years...I think) but it's still alive and well in Seattle.  There is a new one really close to my parents, and it's even better than the one I went to growing up.


As a former Fred Meyer employee (hey, I had to pay the bills somehow when I was in college), I can't say I miss them all that much.  Plus, they went to hell when Kroger bought them anyway.  Stupid Kroger.  If they weren’t better than Wal-Mart, I’d never shop there.  (Not a lot of grocery options in this backwater hick 'burg).
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2005, 03:51:37 am
Well this is the 27th. post in this thread, I thought someone should get around to mentioning the giving of the thanks it being Thanksgiving and all.  I'm sure we all have a lot to be thankful for.  I know I do.  Me, i'm thankful that i'm alive and well and healthy and happy.  I'm gainfully employed, I have a nice place to call home.  I have friends and family who love me.  I don't have a lot of money, but I never lack for any of life's necessities.  I have reliable transportation.  I have been shown kindness and favors by friends, family and strangers alike, many of which can never be fully repaid.  In turn I've tried to show kindness and do favors for others in need as has been done for me time and time again.  I have been hurt, lied to, stolen from, cheated on, betrayed, and wronged in many ways, but never in a way that has ever left a lasting scar either physically or mentally.   In my life there have been disapointments and defeats, but there have been accomplishments and goals attained as well.  In the end I know it doesn't matter and i'm satisfied with who I am and where my life is headed.  For all of these things and many more i'm thankful.

Thank You
~Paul
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 11, 2005, 06:57:10 pm
I'm thankful the Italian-Americans have an excuse to have a parade and that Columbus crew may have been the primary importers of Syphilis to europe. Good going, guys.

I'll ponder my thanks more deeply when Thanksgiving comes.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: wombat on October 11, 2005, 07:27:37 pm
Paul's sentiments are touching and surely appropriately Canadian, because a United Statesian would undoubtedly whine more.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 11, 2005, 07:40:10 pm
I roasted a turkey on Sunday.

Not for anyone's Thanksgiving, but because turkey is good and it was on sale.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 11, 2005, 08:35:47 pm
Those are surely better reasons, Carlos.

I usually smoke one or two ducks on Thanksgiving.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 11, 2005, 08:37:14 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Paul's sentiments are touching and surely appropriately Canadian, because a United Statesian would undoubtedly whine more.


Canadians whine plenty, there just so damned polite about it. Americans are definitely more rude than Canadians but not more whiney.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: Ben-San on October 11, 2005, 10:20:30 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Those are surely better reasons, Carlos.

I usually smoke one or two ducks on Thanksgiving.


How do you fit them in the pipe?
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 12, 2005, 04:53:59 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "wombat"
Paul's sentiments are touching and surely appropriately Canadian, because a United Statesian would undoubtedly whine more.


Canadians whine plenty, there just so damned polite about it. Americans are definitely more rude than Canadians but not more whiney.


Ohhhh,  I'm soooorrry.  Did I hurt your feelings that I didn't post an actual list of why I'm thankful?  See, my wrist hurts, and my SO's car broke down, and I'm really busy these days.  But I'm sorry to whine.  Thanks for listening to my problems, and I'm sorry if I said too much.  I'm really sorry.  Is that okay?

Also, I wrote about why I'm thankful in my blog, so I'm really sorry I didn't do it here.  But I didn't want to, you know, hog the board, so read it if you have the time, and if you want to.  And thank you if you do (I know AD and Jough did, but since I'm actually posting there regularly now, I'm encouraging new readership!)
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2005, 04:59:21 am
Smells, I've met the Dawg in person, and I can assure you that he was either exagerrating a stereotype or at least referencing a portion of the Canadians he has met. Either that, or he was making a joke.

I'm banking on the last of the options.





Why do we have to fight?
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 12, 2005, 05:05:24 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Smells, I've met the Dawg in person, and I can assure you that he was either exagerrating a stereotype or at least referencing a portion of the Canadians he has met. Either that, or he was making a joke.

I'm banking on the last of the options.





Why do we have to fight?


Umm.. did you not get that my repeated use of the words "sorry" and "thank you" and such was my attempt to be overly pollite to the point of silly?  I suppose that maybe the tone came off as sarcastic instead.  I'm not really sorry at all.   Okay, yes I am.

please forgive me.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: Choop on October 12, 2005, 05:13:06 am
Dangit!

I feel like a flippin' moron now!



Idiot!
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: jough on October 12, 2005, 05:36:06 am
Yeah, it's hard to do "overly polite" in print as it just comes across as sarcastic.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that no matter how fucked up our lives may be there are still always things for which to be thankful.

And even though it is only fake Thanksgiving because the Canadians are a backwards, primative society, it's not like you'll be all spent-out of introspection if you take a moment to ponder that for which you are thankful now in addition to the last Thursday in November, when the real Thanksgiving occurs.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: jough on October 12, 2005, 05:39:56 am
And speaking of your blog, Smells, it's been like, a whole day without an update.  If you don't start making with the content soon I'm going to take it out of my daily bookmark list.

Also, whenever I see the title I think of the Rich poem.

Also, whenever I see your description (" I am a former Catholic School Girl turned Hedonist.") I can't help think about the little plaid Catholic School Girl jumper and all of the debauchery that accompanies it (in my head, anyway).

Also, from my posts here over the past few days I think I have said too much about what gets me all riled up.

But at least I can answer the "Turn Ons" section in my Playmate Profile (or whatever it's called) with alacrity and gusto.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 12, 2005, 07:34:23 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "wombat"
Paul's sentiments are touching and surely appropriately Canadian, because a United Statesian would undoubtedly whine more.


Canadians whine plenty, there just so damned polite about it. Americans are definitely more rude than Canadians but not more whiney.


Ohhhh,  I'm soooorrry.  Did I hurt your feelings that I didn't post an actual list of why I'm thankful?  See, my wrist hurts, and my SO's car broke down, and I'm really busy these days.  But I'm sorry to whine.  Thanks for listening to my problems, and I'm sorry if I said too much.  I'm really sorry.  Is that okay?

Also, I wrote about why I'm thankful in my blog, so I'm really sorry I didn't do it here.  But I didn't want to, you know, hog the board, so read it if you have the time, and if you want to.  And thank you if you do (I know AD and Jough did, but since I'm actually posting there regularly now, I'm encouraging new readership!)


Imagine a very American and very rude response here.  :twisted:

Love ya, fluffy and bouncey.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 13, 2005, 02:17:40 am
Quote from: "jough"
And speaking of your blog, Smells, it's been like, a whole day without an update.  If you don't start making with the content soon I'm going to take it out of my daily bookmark list.


God damn it Jough, now I'm fifteen minutes late for sex! (http://sideshowmelanie.blogspot.com)
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: Bozack on October 13, 2005, 05:20:46 am
A friend of mine lives in a one-bedroom apartment with one of her friends. They basically have all the same classes, and hang out all the time, except from 3-6 on Tuesdays, during which my friend masturbates. Continuously. For THREE HOURS. I often call around 4:30, just to see how she's doing and offer moral support.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: CortJstr on October 13, 2005, 01:19:53 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
A friend of mine lives in a one-bedroom apartment with one of her friends. They basically have all the same classes, and hang out all the time, except from 3-6 on Tuesdays, during which my friend masturbates. Continuously. For THREE HOURS. I often call around 4:30, just to see how she's doing and offer moral support.

God dammit Bozack! Somebody has to say this, you've forced our collective hand:

What about "oral support"?

LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME SAY!
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: andalucia on October 13, 2005, 02:20:36 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
God damn it Jough, now I'm fifteen minutes late for sex! (http://sideshowmelanie.blogspot.com)


Quote from: "Bozack"
from 3-6 on Tuesdays, during which my friend masturbates. Continuously. For THREE HOURS


Man, what's with kids these days?  All with the regimented, scheduled sex/self-abuse?  Not how we did it in my day, I tell you.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: jough on October 13, 2005, 04:29:04 pm
Quote from: "side_show"

God damn it Jough, now I'm fifteen minutes late for sex! (http://sideshowmelanie.blogspot.com)


Scheduling a start time for sex isn't that bad.  At least you know you'll be gettin' some.

It's when you schedule the end time that things may be getting a little stale, especially if you pencil in the sex from say, "10:00PM to 10:04PM" or something.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 14, 2005, 02:26:08 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "side_show"

God damn it Jough, now I'm fifteen minutes late for sex! (http://sideshowmelanie.blogspot.com)


Scheduling a start time for sex isn't that bad.  At least you know you'll be gettin' some.

It's when you schedule the end time that things may be getting a little stale, especially if you pencil in the sex from say, "10:00PM to 10:04PM" or something.


Ha!  I think it would be really sort of fun and intimidating to do the reverse and schedule sex for a really long time.  I wonder how long too long is?  How long is too long?  I suppose it would depend on the situation... How long is too long folks?
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: V-Adore on October 14, 2005, 02:27:00 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "side_show"

God damn it Jough, now I'm fifteen minutes late for sex! (http://sideshowmelanie.blogspot.com)


Scheduling a start time for sex isn't that bad.  At least you know you'll be gettin' some.

It's when you schedule the end time that things may be getting a little stale, especially if you pencil in the sex from say, "10:00PM to 10:04PM" or something.


Ha!  I think it would be really sort of fun and intimidating to do the reverse and schedule sex for a really long time.  I wonder how too long is?  How long is too long?  I suppose it would depend on the situation... How long is too long folks?

I would say that three hours of constant masturbation is too much, but I'm not Bozack's friend.
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: side_show on October 14, 2005, 02:58:56 am
Reeaally?  See, I definitly don't consider masterbation to be anywhere near as taxing as getting it on with a partner, but when I was a teen... three hours was no big deal - but then I had so much more time on my hands (wah, wah, waaaah!).

Also, as this is post #999 for me, I feel a lot of pressure to make my next post ultra cool, but it will probably be about picking my bum or popping a zit or something.  Gah!)
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: V-Adore on October 14, 2005, 03:05:09 am
Fair enough. I mean, it depends on the intensity of the act, you know? If most of it's pretty light, that's cool. On the other hand, if she was really gettin' into it all three hours, every day... wouldn't she get sore eventually?

(I am also vaguely amused by the idea that, during the only three hours a day she had alone, all she did was jill off. That's dedication!)
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 14, 2005, 04:34:27 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Fair enough. I mean, it depends on the intensity of the act, you know? If most of it's pretty light, that's cool. On the other hand, if she was really gettin' into it all three hours, every day... wouldn't she get sore eventually?

(I am also vaguely amused by the idea that, during the only three hours a day she had alone, all she did was jill off. That's dedication!)


And I am amused by the term "jill off".
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: miles on October 14, 2005, 04:49:42 am
Three hours?  Fuck, wouldn't you get bored?  I mean, sex, even with yourself, is great and all, but three hours?  Three consecutive hours?  Every day?
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2005, 05:20:23 am
Quote from: "miles"
Three hours?  Fuck, wouldn't you get bored?  I mean, sex, even with yourself, is great and all, but three hours?  Three consecutive hours?  Every day?


Only on Tuesdays.

~Paul
Title: Happy Turkey Day!
Post by: miles on October 14, 2005, 05:36:30 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "miles"
Three hours?  Fuck, wouldn't you get bored?  I mean, sex, even with yourself, is great and all, but three hours?  Three consecutive hours?  Every day?


Only on Tuesdays.

~Paul


Oops.  My mistake.

Still, though.