The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on October 10, 2005, 06:57:31 am

Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 06:57:31 am
Well, he did warn us that Milklin would return Monday.

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10102005
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: MattFish on October 10, 2005, 07:06:21 am
You'd think "Mayor Rufus Kissing Mommy Where She Pees" would sell like hotcakes.

Okay so Milklin is a sad, pathetic individual. At least we get some funny ads out of this. I wonder if Mr. Dan is reminiscent of Mr. Gary.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 10, 2005, 07:08:15 am
Still don't like him. Oh well, they can't all be Cartilage Head.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 08:06:44 am
"I saw Mayor Rufus Kissing Mommy Where She Pees" - the idea of the sort of situation that would lead someone wanting to buy this book for a child is just magnificent.  The moral of the story?  Knock on the door before you enter a room in which you are unsure of the activities taking place and their suitability for your young eyes and mind."
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: cellardoor on October 10, 2005, 09:37:29 am
I bet that was the same mayor that got hot bloody fat sprayed all over him.
Kinky.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: misterqueue on October 10, 2005, 10:35:26 am
See RBK is sort of saddened but with a style and a pride that you can appreciate.

This new cat (as in cool cat, not literal cat, though now that I mention it...) is just kind of... pathetic so far.  I am a member of the Disinterested. (My new band.. see us on Thursday at the local Swill n' Grill playing cover songs of bands with purposefully misspelled names)
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2005, 12:56:56 pm
Come on old Gil needs this sale!
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2005, 01:58:14 pm
I wish we'd been shown the sermon bad enough to make people leave the Jehovah's Witnesses and not this particular strip. That said, "Milklin Honniker" is verging on a perfect name for him.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 02:26:47 pm
Milklin Filbert Honniker

Milklin Rufus Honniker

He just cries out for an even more terrible middle name.

Milklin Woodrow (Woody)Honniker.

Also, my own middle and last name are both extremely unpronounceable, especially when paired together, unless you grew up speaking French, which strangly I did not, so I can't really pronounce my own name.  It's pretty silly.  I am named after my great grandmother, who was named after an ancestor who died in the early 17's in Paris - she was a nun.  The only records of her are her cloistering and her death and the comment in the church register at the time of her death - translated to basically read:  "lived a chaste life."
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2005, 02:34:08 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Milklin Filbert Honniker

Milklin Rufus Honniker

He just cries out for an even more terrible middle name.

Milklin Woodrow (Woody)Honniker.

Is it wrong that I think "M. Rufus Honniker" sounds pretty good, in a sort of "genteel 1920's bootlegger" way?

Agreed, though, that Milklin has to have a middle name so ghastly that he would prefer to go by Milklin. I'm picturing something else that is also loserish and has unpleasant assonances with Honniker, like... Toastifer.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 02:36:15 pm
Quote from: "side_show"

Also, my own middle and last name are both extremely unpronounceable, especially when paired together, unless you grew up speaking French, which strangly I did not, so I can't really pronounce my own name.  It's pretty silly.  I am named after my great grandmother, who was named after an ancestor who died in the early 17's in Paris - she was a nun.  The only records of her are her cloistering and her death and the comment in the church register at the time of her death - translated to basically read:  "lived a chaste life."


Ahem.  So, uh, what is it?
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 03:02:19 pm
Real names?  On the internet?  I dunno about this...

My actual name is:

(edited out to prevent abduction by angry hobos)

It is supposed to be pronounced as such:

(edited out to prevent abduction by pee stinking hobos)
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: misterqueue on October 10, 2005, 03:03:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Agreed, though, that Milklin has to have a middle name so ghastly that he would prefer to go by Milklin.


Milklin Bueford?
Milklin Arvid?
Milklin Bosephus?
Milklin Jeddidiah?
Milklin Gilbreath?
Milklin Zebbes?


Oh I do go on... (and on.. and on.. and on..)
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2005, 03:08:34 pm
Arvid is actually a pretty cool name (at least, when pronounced in the German style), but the rest are about the quality we're looking at here, yeah.

My old MP3 player is named Arvid. He's been a good little machine.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 10, 2005, 03:18:44 pm
My middle name is Herbert, which many people find to be funny, although I don't.


What's funny is that until the last minute my first name was supposed to be Ethelbert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethelbert_of_Kent), which would have made me Ethelbert Herbert Severn.

And since Herbert was for Herbert Hoover, my name would have been three heads of state-- A King, a President, and an Emperor.



And "Ethelbert Herbert" is just hysterical.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 03:24:22 pm
Quote from: side_show
Real names?  On the internet?  I dunno about this...

My actual name is:

(edited to prevent hobo abduction)

I used to use a fake name on the internet but then a few years ago I figured I'd make myself more available to people who may Google me.

However, having said that, you may want to remove traces of your name from here lest they show up in Google.  A place like this can ruin a girl's reputation.

Although checking the big G for (edited to prevent hobo abduction) revealed that you already posted your name to a thread here back in April.

And evidently Google thinks that you are: "(edited to prevent hobo abduction), a mentally challenged girl who harbours a secret of her own."
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 10, 2005, 03:26:41 pm
The best course of action is to get a famous entertainer with the same name as you.


Extra points for it not being Michael Bolton.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: jough on October 10, 2005, 03:28:55 pm
Office Space references always win me over, but that still doesn't look like an apology, I_S.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: robot_god on October 10, 2005, 03:30:02 pm
My like for Milklin has diminished now that I've seen his handwriting.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: side_show on October 10, 2005, 03:37:43 pm
Quote from: jough
And evidently Google thinks that you are: "(edited to prevent hobo abduction), a mentally challenged girl who harbours a secret of her own."

Yes, until I switched over to directing, I eeked out a career as the go-to-girl when directors were looking for someone to play a retard.  I write "retard" not as a derogatory toward mentally challenged people, but as a derogatory toward myself, who lacks the high art acting skills to play a well developed mentally challenged character, and hence instead presented my characters as broadly painted retards, perhaps lacking in the nuiances needed to be as fully formed as needed.  Also, I did harbour a secret, the secret that I didn't bother to research actual mentally disabled people to play that role, but instead based my performance on the off hand observations I had made of people on the bus.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: MattFish on October 10, 2005, 04:12:09 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Also, I did harbour a secret, the secret that I didn't bother to research actual mentally disabled people to play that role, but instead based my performance on the off hand observations I had made of people on the bus.


But isn't that the best way? I think we all fondly remember our "DURRR!" days of elementary school playground teasing.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Is it wrong that I think "M. Rufus Honniker" sounds pretty good, in a sort of "genteel 1920's bootlegger" way?


But then he'd be Mayor Rufus, kissing Mommy where she pees from. IT'S ALL COMING INTO PLACE NOW
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 10, 2005, 05:26:05 pm
"Milklin, Witness Once Rescinded" would be a great new low level rank for noobs.  I think it would fit nicely between "Dr. Kisses" and "Your Old Friend Blister."

~Paul
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2005, 05:32:33 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Milklin Filbert Honniker

Milklin Rufus Honniker

He just cries out for an even more terrible middle name.

Milklin Woodrow (Woody)Honniker.

Do you people remember nothing that Night Court taught you? The worst possible name in any situation is Reinhold. Reinhold Weege. Reinhold "Dan" Fielding. Milklin Reinhold Honniker. Terrible. Just terrible.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2005, 05:36:53 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Milklin Filbert Honniker

Milklin Rufus Honniker

He just cries out for an even more terrible middle name.

Milklin Woodrow (Woody)Honniker.

Also, my own middle and last name are both extremely unpronounceable, especially when paired together, unless you grew up speaking French, which strangly I did not, so I can't really pronounce my own name.  It's pretty silly.  I am named after my great grandmother, who was named after an ancestor who died in the early 17's in Paris - she was a nun.  The only records of her are her cloistering and her death and the comment in the church register at the time of her death - translated to basically read:  "lived a chaste life."


How is it that someone who died a virgin turned out to also be a great grandmother?
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 10, 2005, 05:37:49 pm
Hard work and perseverance.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Golfhaus on October 10, 2005, 05:39:50 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
How is it that someone who died a virgin turned out to also be a great grandmother?


If I read it correctly, I believe the great-grandma was named after the virgin.

EDIT: And being the first post on this page, that makes for a HELLA GREAT outta-context sentence.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2005, 05:41:57 pm
That's what happens when I try to read and post before 8 am. Thanks for clearing that up.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Suckin_Dick on October 10, 2005, 06:00:26 pm
man i could really use one of those patricians...  seriously.  i cannot tell you how many times roasting a perfect bird has been a problem for me.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Roger on October 10, 2005, 06:13:43 pm
That's a scary-looking machine, the Patrician™.
But the slogan is a work of genius, specially with that period: "Roasting a bird has never been a problem. For this machine".
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: hoborg on October 10, 2005, 06:31:24 pm
Isn't Honniker the last name of most of the characters from Cat's Cradle?
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2005, 07:19:23 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "side_show"
Milklin Filbert Honniker

Milklin Rufus Honniker

He just cries out for an even more terrible middle name.

Milklin Woodrow (Woody)Honniker.

Also, my own middle and last name are both extremely unpronounceable, especially when paired together, unless you grew up speaking French, which strangly I did not, so I can't really pronounce my own name.  It's pretty silly.  I am named after my great grandmother, who was named after an ancestor who died in the early 17's in Paris - she was a nun.  The only records of her are her cloistering and her death and the comment in the church register at the time of her death - translated to basically read:  "lived a chaste life."


How is it that someone who died a virgin turned out to also be a great grandmother?

If I'm reading this right, what happened is that there was a relative who lived a chaste life and died a nun. (Presumably she was a many-great aunts or something similar.) Some time later (remember, this nun died in the 1700's), side_show's great-grandmother was named after the nun, and then side_show was named after her great-grandmother.

I think.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2005, 07:24:27 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That's what happens when I try to read and post before 8 am. Thanks for clearing that up.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 10, 2005, 07:29:29 pm
... This is also what happens when I don't notice there's a second page of posts and just go off and reply. Mea culpa.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: CortJstr on October 10, 2005, 08:16:06 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
... This is also what happens when I don't notice there's a second page of posts and just go off and reply. Mea culpa.

This happens to me all the time. If somebody out there hasn't come up with a name for this phenomenon I will lose faith in the internet. Somebody came up with the term "ninja edit" so I demand a term for this as well.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 10, 2005, 08:28:51 pm
Postula Prematura Pagina Previs
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Suckin_Dick on October 10, 2005, 08:29:38 pm
how 'bout "premature e-post-ulation"?

okay it's a stretch but it's the best i got.  dammit.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: Suckin_Dick on October 10, 2005, 08:30:18 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Postula Prematura Pagina Previs


you sir, win.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: MattFish on October 11, 2005, 02:13:55 am
Quote from: "Suckin_Dick"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Postula Prematura Pagina Previs


you sir, win.


or Fourpee for short.
Title: On Backorder - 10 October 2005
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 11, 2005, 04:00:38 am
Quote from: "hoborg"
Isn't Honniker the last name of most of the characters from Cat's Cradle?


Yes it is. I just read that book last month. What a fuck*ng trip.