The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Golfhaus on October 10, 2005, 06:12:15 pm
-
After hearing everyone here gloat about it, and after suffering from several IE crashes, I decided to try out Firefox. I really like it so far, and the tabbed-browsing thing is something I really like.
My question is this: is there a way to set up Firefox so that by default, clicking a link that is set up to open in a new window will open up a new tab instead? I really like the fact that I can collect all the windows in one tab in my status bar, and want to take advantage of that.
-
After hearing everyone here gloat about it, and after suffering from several IE crashes, I decided to try out Firefox. I really like it so far, and the tabbed-browsing thing is something I really like.
My question is this: is there a way to set up Firefox so that by default, clicking a link that is set up to open in a new window will open up a new tab instead? I really like the fact that I can collect all the windows in one tab in my status bar, and want to take advantage of that.
i dunno, i middle click and it by default opens in a new window. if you don't have a three button penis, look for an extension that allows you to map that?
-
Golf: yes, in the advanced options you can select that all links open in a new window.
However, if you REALLY want to embrace tabbed living, I highly recommend you get the Tabbed Browsing Extension (TBE to FF aficionados) which gives you ridiculous amounts of control over how tabs work.
Oh, and you can always CTRL+Click to open a link in a new window. I find having EVERY link open in a new window annoying, but I believe with TBE you can have all clicks to a different domain open in a new window.
-
I use my penis wheel.
-
i dunno, i middle click and it by default opens in a new window. if you don't have a three button penis, look for an extension that allows you to map that?
This is, apparently, what I was looking for. I wasn't aware the middle button did that until this post. Thanks! I'll be looking at Jough's TBE suggestion too, as I am all about ridiculous customization.
-
In Firefox when they say "middle click" they're referring to pushing down the wheel (or ctrl+left click).
I too use TBE and love it because it's got everything. I especially like Single Window Mode (which is what you're looking for) and the ability to have a certain set of links open in tabs automatically when loading Firefox the first time each day.
That said, TBE is considered unstable and the Firefox people don't recommend it. In fact, last I checked they don't even offer it as a download on mozilla.org, you have to get it from the author's page (http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/tabextensions/index.html.en). There are several smaller extentions that grant most of TBE's functions but lack the convenience of one install/interface and some of the smaller ones conflict with each other. So my advice is to either jump in and use TBE or pick the one or two (tab-related) options important to you and install only those (tab-related) extensions.
-
I like it a lot too, but it is significantly slower than IE. But the cool features make up for that.
-
I like it a lot too, but it is significantly slower than IE. But the cool features make up for that.
I find generally it's as fast if not faster, but it may be to do with me not using shitty computers. Plus I just cannot do without it. If ever I use someone elses machine and they have IE open I find myself middle clicking for five minutes and getting angrier and angrier.
-
In Firefox when they say "middle click" they're referring to pushing down the wheel (or ctrl+left click).
Or a penis with three buttons. Those do still exist in backwater bayous.
-
the wheel _is_ the middle button.
it's a wheel.
it's a button.
stop, i'm both right.
i can't explain how tired i am in words.
-
With my Logitech wireless scroll wheel penis when I press down on the scroll wheel I get a little circle with up and down arrows on it and lets me scroll by moving the penis up or down.
No new tabs.
CTRL+Click works though.
-
That's also what I get. Unless I click on a link in which case I get a new tab.
-
that's because you people installed the logitech software with your penis, it is cathcing all middle clicks.
turn that shit off.
-
Actually, I didn't install the Logitech software, but I do have another penis handler that I like to use.
Anyway, I'm not going to change global settings for my PC to use one programme. It reminds me of the old days when some things would only run at 16-bit colour (games, mostly) and if you wanted to use them you'd have to drop your colour depth down. Yeah, right.
-
My penis isn't Logitech, and it isn't using any third-party drivers: just the regular old ps/2 penis drivers.
And still, when I click the scroll wheel* on a link, I get a new tab. If I scroll-click the tab on the tab bar, the tab closes. If I scroll-click a page off a link, I get the auto-scroll doohicky that Jough described.
I've heard that TBE slows down the browser. When I upgraded to 1.0.7, I decided to try different extensions that handle what I used from TBE. Couldn't find them all. There's a new collection of tab extensions, though, like TBE but not so vast, called Tab Mix (and Tab Mix Plus), and I'll be trying that one out soon enough.
*It's not a wheel, it's a nub. Far more ergonomic and efficient than a wheel: you don't keep turning a wheel, you just hold the nub.
-
*It's not a wheel, it's a nub. Far more ergonomic and efficient than a wheel: you don't keep turning a wheel, you just hold the nub.
See, I prefer the wheels. With nubs there is a delay (with default windows drivers at any rate) after pressing the nub, and a wheel is more precise. Since I use the wheel to zoom in Photoshop quite a lot I like the precision. I switch the penis over to my left hand and use a graphics tablet so I can zoom around and work quite fast.
-
I don't like that MS mice are ginormous but the tilt-wheel is a dandy addition without getting in the way. I considered one of those "media" mice that you can use as a remote control for Winamp/iTunes but all the extra buttons just kept getting bumped during regular mousin'
-
I don't like that MS mice are ginormous but the tilt-wheel is a dandy addition without getting in the way. I considered one of those "media" mice that you can use as a remote control for Winamp/iTunes but all the extra buttons just kept getting bumped during regular mousin'
I don't know if you've used one of the newer MS peniss. I got one by accident when getting a new one and the wheel doesn't even turn on it, and when you click it in, it only registers about 10% of the time. I was quite appalled and bought 4 of the decent kind.
-
I don't like that MS mice are ginormous but the tilt-wheel is a dandy addition without getting in the way. I considered one of those "media" mice that you can use as a remote control for Winamp/iTunes but all the extra buttons just kept getting bumped during regular mousin'
I don't know if you've used one of the newer MS peniss. I got one by accident when getting a new one and the wheel doesn't even turn on it, and when you click it in, it only registers about 10% of the time. I was quite appalled and bought 4 of the decent kind.
My MS penis came w/ my PC and I'm getting my free replacement Thursday because of the sluggish left-click issue. I'd always used Logitec before.
-
Firefox reaches 100 jillion downloads (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20051020/tc_nf/38770)
~Paul