The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: miles on October 11, 2005, 05:49:03 am

Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: miles on October 11, 2005, 05:49:03 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10112005

I like the idea of Ray being so pissed at the sight of a Jehovah's Witness that he has to get the hose, and I like the third panel.  Like Milklin didn't react in the right way to Ray's threat, so Ray has to emphasize it in the last panel.  But I'm still waiting for the big Milklin payoff.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: jough on October 11, 2005, 05:53:46 am
I feel so gypped by 3-panel strips now.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 05:54:00 am
I'm waiting for Ray to actually get THE HOSE.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: AugustWest on October 11, 2005, 05:55:51 am
Ah Beef, this just makes me love you all the more.  What an empathic, thoughtful guy you are.  

Sure, the proselytizer is completely alien to everything you believe in.  Yet you can understand him and sympathize with his pathetic life enough to take him to Ray's house with you.


...and poor Milklin.  This isn't going to turn out well for you, is it?
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 06:24:00 am
He made him sit on the porch, folks.


One day when I'm good enough to have a porch, that is exactly what I will do.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 11, 2005, 06:33:50 am
I think the shove is "The Hose."  He's all let me get the hose and then all unexpected like, badamm, you've been hosed.

~Paul
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: robot_god on October 11, 2005, 06:39:12 am
Am I forgetting something, or is that the angriest Ray has ever been?


Is Phillipe the only character who doesn't hate Jesus?
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: miles on October 11, 2005, 06:42:32 am
Quote from: "*****_god"
Is Phillipe the only character who doesn't hate Jesus?


I don't think that hating Jehovah's Witnesses means hating Jesus.  In fact, I think a lot of people who hate JWs probably love Jesus very much.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2005, 06:45:16 am
This feels like about half a strip. Am I spoiled?
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 11, 2005, 06:55:00 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I think the shove is "The Hose."  He's all let me get the hose and then all unexpected like, badamm, you've been hosed.

~Paul


I agree. Also, Beef will defend Milikin and his mild support will win Milikin's unwanted friendship (a la Barry Bass).
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 07:29:49 am
Yeah, it's tough being a magnet for losers.  I guess I'm pretty much a saint.  A saint for irritating people who voice their logically-inconsistent opinions loudly.


And I don't think Ray hates Jesus.  Jesus didn't go around door-to-door telling people they were going to rot in hell unless they did exactly as he said.

Or maybe he did.  I'm really not up on current events.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: starlight on October 11, 2005, 09:32:55 am
For some reason this one makes me laugh... a lot.

HOSE!

The more I think of this word, the stranger it looks.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 09:42:40 am
That works with every word, ever, including zymurgy.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: misterqueue on October 11, 2005, 10:31:40 am
Today I will shove someone and shout out "THE HOSE".

Maybe for emphasis I will wear pantyhose on my head while doing it.. maybe since I'm halfway there I'll just hijack a bus and ride it on down to Cuba (Libres for all!  And hot libras for all too!  I prefer Scorpio!  WOOO)

And for the record, beef can do better somersaults.  This has been proven.  With science it has been proven.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: aparrish on October 11, 2005, 02:08:40 pm
Damn.  I used to hate Milklin (you may recall that I called for his gruesome demise by steep mountain hill/oncoming bus), but now that Onstad has invested so much pathos in him ... I can't help but feel for the guy.

I guess Ray's promise to "never be a dick to a stranger" doesn't apply to Jehovah's Witnesses.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: aparrish on October 11, 2005, 02:18:06 pm
Shit, I said "dick" when I meant "cock."
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2005, 02:18:19 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
I guess Ray's promise to "never be a dick to a stranger" doesn't apply to Jehovah's Witnesses.

When somebody gets all evangelistic they're no longer a stranger they are a threat to be dealt with. It's self-defense man.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: misterqueue on October 11, 2005, 02:20:13 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
I guess Ray's promise to "never be a dick to a stranger" doesn't apply to Jehovah's Witnesses.


Look man, the dude was high (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01272005), he had ideals then; IDEALS!

Besides, I would say a JW a knock-knockin on your front door automatically calls for the hose in his book, stranger or not.  THE HOSE.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 02:25:18 pm
Being in trouble is a fake idea.



So profound and... yet... so...   hey, muffins!
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: robot_god on October 11, 2005, 02:26:59 pm
Do you have to pay to become a Jehova's Witness?

The only way that religion would make any sense would be if it involved some sort of pyramid scheme.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 11, 2005, 02:42:54 pm
You get to devour every soul you get after the first five.  Those go up the chain.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: Bozack on October 11, 2005, 02:52:59 pm
I like how Ray's entrance is about who can do the best somersault. And the Hose is awesome. I assume that Ray was expecting Milklin to run off at the mere mention of the Hose; when he appeared unpertubed, Ray decided to start him on his way.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: CortJstr on October 11, 2005, 04:13:30 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I like how Ray's entrance is about who can do the best somersault.

This makes Beef's dream (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10132003) about Ray even more believable.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 11, 2005, 06:43:59 pm
Quote from: "*****_god"
Am I forgetting something, or is that the angriest Ray has ever been?


He looked pretty angry when he pulled of his whole head off to ask about the Frittata.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: misterqueue on October 11, 2005, 07:50:40 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "*****_god"
Am I forgetting something, or is that the angriest Ray has ever been?


He looked pretty angry when he pulled of his whole head to ask about the Frittata.


It is the angriest a person can be, to do this (http://www.achewood.com/comic.php?date=05162002).

However it was a dream, so it doesn't count anyway.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 11, 2005, 08:31:22 pm
It was a dream being had by a fictitious cat - I would say it counts as much as anything else does in a cartoon.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: misterqueue on October 11, 2005, 08:35:58 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It was a dream being had by a fictitious cat - I would say it counts as much as anything else does in a cartoon.


Then I guess it must be     Schrodinger's Cat!!!

Oh I am a cad and a card; a hoot and a holler... a complete and utter nitwit.

I think I'll nip off and shoot myself now.  THX4CALLINLOLTTYL!!!!
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: MattFish on October 11, 2005, 11:30:03 pm
Quote from: "misterqueue"
Oh I am a cad and a card; a hoot and a holler... a complete and utter nitwit.

I think I'll nip off and shoot myself now.  THX4CALLINLOLTTYL!!!!


Calm down, sir, people are beginning to stare.

I like the idea of "The Hose". There's not much else to this strip.
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2005, 02:47:04 am
Who had  Schrodinger's Cat in their sig for like forever?  I've forgotten now.

~Paul
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: pmcd9 on October 12, 2005, 02:52:35 am
Oh yeah, and the hose is gold.  I love the hose.  Let me get the hose, it's so Hulk Hogan.

~Paul
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2005, 03:02:34 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Who had  Schrodinger's Cat in their sig for like forever?  I've forgotten now.

That was me. Want to eat your cake and have it too? Try new Schröedinger's Cake!
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: MattFish on October 12, 2005, 03:39:18 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
That was me. Want to eat your cake and have it too? Try new Schröedinger's Cake!


is there a reason you transposed "eat" and "have"? was it just to keep from having to type the cliché verbatum? or is there a secret joke-within-the-joke I'm missing here?
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: JordanB on October 12, 2005, 03:43:12 am
"Eat your cake and have it" is thought by some
to be a more logical construction.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-hav2.htm
Title: Let me get the hose -- 11 October 2005
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 12, 2005, 07:17:58 am
Indeed, but also in the greater context of the Schrodinger's Cat construction, it also makes more sense.

A fun link here: The Interactive Schrodinger's Cat (http://www.phobe.com/s_cat/s_cat.html)

A funner link here: Cecil Adams' Epic Poem on Schrodinger's Cat (http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_122.html)