The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: andalucia on August 28, 2003, 12:35:28 am
-
jough, I just went to your website for the first time, and I want you to know that I nearly perished of glee when I saw that you had a James Joyce site. He is my favourite thing in all the world. I just registered, and I am filled with supreme glee.
-
And here, my incredible pedestrian, not-Joyce-appreciating stream-of-semi-consciousness self read the title of the forum not once but THREE times as
"joy clean" dot com and I clicked just to see what the hell that was all about.
::slinking off into the abyss of average literature:::
-
My late-night, staying-up-burning-cds coffee: spat all over my #####, thanks to alohadawg.
best.
comment.
ever,
-
I used to have Joycean.COM before Verisign inexplicably sold the domain to a pornographer, who in turn sold it to someone else.
It's basically getting passed around like a whore.
But I have Joycean.org and JamesJoyce.tv for the site now.
And I haven't updated it in a year and a half. Oops!
BUT THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS.
Go and read most of Joyce's collected works for free. The typos are not mine, but rather those of graduate students scanning in pages from public-domain manuscripts.
And they are many (the typos). But Joyce would've loved the typos. And the internet.
And all of you.
-
I spent plenty of time there today. Inspired my current sig as well.
-
I may end up spending a lot of time at joycean.org in order to repair the gaping hole in my psyche caused by the knowledge that all of my Joycean knowledge is derived from the secondhand references present in "The Waste Land" and the rest of T.S. Eliot's work, and also, to a large extent, my inability to end a sentence (in the style of Faulkner (or possibly someone else, but mostly Faulkner) yet not Joyce).
-
V-Adore, the pure tangential nature of that post is a force with which to be reckoned.
-
Recommend me how to get started with Joyce. Should I just dive into Ulysses or is there some kiddie pool I could get acclimated in first?
-
Eliot wrote a very favourable essay about Joyce's Ulysses, and Joyce returned the favour by writing a parody of the Waste Land in... something...
dang, I can't find it now...
But if you want to read some more Eliot, check out the www address of this very site.
-- Jough
-
August, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is the ‘prequel’ to Ulysses. It’s a great place to start, I’d read it first. I would read Dubliners before U. too, just to acquaint yourself with Joyce’s style before you tackle the more-experimental Ulysses.
-
I would recommend reading the books in order, as they get progressively experimental as you go (and each subsequent book, while not a sequel really, does make references to things that happened in the previous books).
Dubliners is a collection of short stories, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is a "coming of age" novel, and Ulysses is an encyclopedia. It's volumous and rewarding.
Then if you're brave you'll continue on to Finnegans Wake, but keep in mind that much of it is not written in English.
-
Yeah, listen to jough, I am reading James Joyce all backwards-like.... Ulysses, then Portrait, now FW, and I will probably never get to Dubliners since I am stuck in the hard middle part of fw.
-
I'm almost inspired to read James Joyce. Almost. My brain is stiff and old, though. Any further inspirations to put me over the edge would be helpful here.
-
Uh... I used to drink Tullamore Dew over rocks at the James Joyce Pub in Tampa... does that count?
-
I was hoping this was all about Joyce DeWitt.
-
I was hoping this was all about Joyce DeWitt.
That would be dewittean.com.
And wasn't she mega-hott on 3's Company?
-
I googled to find out how she spells her name - for someone who has dropped off the face of the earth, 92,700 replies seems like a lot. Her homepage, unfortunately, is under construction.
-
She was the cutest! I want a threesome with me and her and Suzanne Pleshette.
God I feel DIRTY just thinking about being naked in the same state with those two.
I need penance and self flagellation.
I'll start with the self flagellation.
this is going bad places.
Bye.
-
Mmmm, give me Suzanne Pleshette and Dawn Wells.
Why is it that the "second bannana" hot chicks on sitcoms are invariably hotter than the hotties the network execs pick?
-
I'll definitely second Dawn Wells. Serve her up with the brunette that played the really dumb girl on Petticoat Junction.
I dunno about the second banana theory - it seems to hold, though - I think for every outrageously dumb life-support-system for a pair of boobies there has also to be a cute, mostly regular-looking girl firmly grounded in reality and commonsense. Have you noticed that they seem also often to be scripted as characters from the midwest? We midwesterners are apparently known for cute-but-plain brunettes with good common sense.
I guess I lucked out, I got one with big boobs too... :twisted:
::Edited to include the words JAMES JOYCE, dammit.
-
I’m not even going to mess with Finnegan’s Wake until I have another ten or twenty years of literary knowledge built up to help me interpret it.
-
I started Portrait, but never finished it. I don't know if it's because I am too dum to get it or because I was going through a particularly tough (busy) time and it was actually the tiredness that put me to sleep whenever I picked it up. I'm going with the second one. I'll have to give it another try.
~Paul
-
If you couldn't get through Portrait (which is great yet pretty accessible) you'll never make it through the first chapter (episode) of Ulysses.
Think about the two books as companion pieces: Portrait is about a young artist getting his wings, and at the end he takes off. Ulysses begins with his sudden crash. There's an Icarus metaphor in there, but of course Ulysses was modelled (loosely) after Homer's Odyssey (about as much as the Coen Bros. film "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" was).
But Ulysses is a comedy. You just have to have the history of western literary tradition in your back pocket to "get" much of it. However, even if you just pick up the obvious stuff, the plays on words, the poon-hound Leopold Bloom or the full of himself young twit of Stephen Dedalus (Joyce's alter-ego of sorts) you'll have a good read.
But it's not really something you'd bring to the beach, unless you're a geek like me.
And if you want a decent version of Ulysses, you have to read the one edited by Hans Gabler. It *does* too matter.
-- Jough
-
What about the annotated version of Ulysses? I'm reasonably well-read, but I think footnotes would help me "get it". Is that one (don't have the editor's name handy atm) any good?
-
I would advise against any "annotated versions" or anything by "professor" Kidd.
There's a "Rose" edition that is particularly awful.
If you want to follow along with an expert (I'd suggest trying to read through it once on your own first, but chacun a son gout[/a]) then I'd recommend "The New Bloomsday Book" by Harry Blamires. It's basic enough for anyone to follow and covers enough of the book that you can ruin it for yourself on your first read.
If you're looking for annotations you're basically leaving yourself open for your intelligence to be insulted, but that's a small price to pay for understanding, I suppose.
-
I myself like annotated editions, but you have to be choosy.