The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: 1Lofapilot on October 14, 2005, 05:43:00 am

Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: 1Lofapilot on October 14, 2005, 05:43:00 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10142005

I had to register, finally, just to post in re. this strip.  Is Ray donating his own heart to Sick Children?  We've gone way beyond Milklin here.  Also, why is Ray alive while holding his own heart?

This is the most confusing strip I've ever read.  Philippe could stand on thousands of manuals and still make more sense than this.  Help me, Achewood Community, to understand Ray's Ultimate Sacrifice.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: mudokon on October 14, 2005, 05:49:29 am
Dear lord, this wasn't a dream sequence. Why wasn't this a dream sequence?

Anyhow, no, Ray is not donating his heart to sick children. The doctor just notes that Ray's donation will go towards helping the sick children.

Ray merely paid an exorbitant amount to have a surgeon cut him open so he could play with his own heart. That is what an eccentric cat does. This was pretty funny.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2005, 05:51:29 am
This was a dream/deus ex machina sequence.

Mark my words!
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: rumpy doppelganger on October 14, 2005, 06:01:54 am
ker-blop
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2005, 06:07:59 am
The failure to cope with the demands of raising a child has driven the artist insane.

~Paul
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: miles on October 14, 2005, 06:15:53 am
Daaamn! Man, this is special!
Title: teh funny.
Post by: char * on October 14, 2005, 06:29:12 am
CLASSIC RAY.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: jough on October 14, 2005, 06:37:55 am
I once had a hole in my knee and I totally put my finger inside of it.

Ray wanted a photo of him holding his own still beating heart.


TINY HAT: $68

OPENING A NEW CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL: $47,000,000

BRIBING A DOCTOR TO HELP YOU TAKE A CHRISTMAS CARD PHOTO OF YOU HOLDING YOUR OWN HEART: PRICELESS

FOR EVERYTHING MONEY CAN'T BUY, THERE'S THE RAY CARD (TM)
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 14, 2005, 06:41:50 am
eeeeewwwwwwwwwww
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: evan on October 14, 2005, 07:12:47 am
Quote from: "jough"

FOR EVERYTHING MONEY CAN'T BUY, THERE'S THE SMUCKLESCARD (TM)


Surely you mean The Ray Card (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07062005)?
Title: Re: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: starlight on October 14, 2005, 08:04:10 am
Quote from: "1Lofapilot"
Also, why is Ray alive while holding his own heart?


This is the only question that went through my mind when I saw this strip

...then I remembered it was achewood.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: jough on October 14, 2005, 08:24:36 am
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "jough"

FOR EVERYTHING MONEY CAN'T BUY, THERE'S THE SMUCKLESCARD (TM)


Surely you mean The Ray Card (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07062005)?


Fah.  Too tired to post.

Fix'd.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: misterqueue on October 14, 2005, 10:27:13 am
Total Ray all the way.

Plus the alt text.. kissing it would've been over the top.

You just know he's putting that photo over his mantle.  Beef will be all "dang ray why you have to keep that nasty old photo of yours up where everyone can see how clogged your arteries are dawg"
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: V-Adore on October 14, 2005, 11:59:15 am
This strip is incredible and unsettling. And that's the way I like my Achewood.

Question: what kind of tiny hat did he get for his heart?
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Null on October 14, 2005, 12:17:33 pm
This was...disturbing.

Ray should remember he can always PhotoShop the hat onto the heart, for the purpose of making his Christmas card more festive.

I would imagine that the hat, it is a tiny Tyrolean hat.
Title: Re: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Null on October 14, 2005, 12:21:47 pm
Quote from: "1Lofapilot"
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10142005
Also, why is Ray alive while holding his own heart?


The heart is still attached if you look closely, but he should at least be in severe shock and probably, thus, dead.  (I can't imagine Ray can take severe shock.)

Onstad has probably been alternating David Lynch with Lucio Fulci on the DVD 5-disk player.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 14, 2005, 12:39:57 pm
Ol' Ray, he has a big heart.


Seriously, that thing's like a roast.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: cellardoor on October 14, 2005, 12:51:13 pm
Whilst questioning the internal logic of this strip (holding his own heart?) please remember these are cartoon cats.
I think the hat would've been a little santas hat and if I received that christmas card I would've puked all over my front door.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: andalucia on October 14, 2005, 01:09:57 pm
Man, so I did this MRI study in which I did math problems in a tube while Scientists took pictures of my brain, on account of they paid me $80 for it, but then I asked them to email me some pictures of my brain, and they said they would.  And the idea of Christmas card fodder had not occurred to me, but IT HAS NOW, and no, I'm definitely not above photoshopping a jolly wee hat onto my exposed brainy-picture.

Thanks, Achewood!
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: aparrish on October 14, 2005, 01:40:39 pm
I'm hoping it was a jimmy hat.  Now there's a way to say "Happy Holidays."
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: MattFish on October 14, 2005, 02:15:45 pm
I think it's the constant "ker-blop ker-blop" that sells this.

I enjoyed this strip! More random disturbing imagery!
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: 1Lofapilot on October 14, 2005, 04:50:49 pm
[The rest of this post was removed because if I'd read the thread I'd have realized it said the Exact Same Thing as another post.  I don't deserve the Internet.]

You. Go. Ray.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Golfhaus on October 14, 2005, 05:06:35 pm
Yes. This hits on all the little things that make Achewood great.

GOD BLESS.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Mantonio on October 14, 2005, 05:31:03 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Yes. This hits on all the little things that make Achewood great.

GOD BLESS.


Yes. This strip makes up for all those Philippe Times Friday Fun Facts. This is one for the ages.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: acoxcae on October 14, 2005, 05:34:14 pm
The way that I originally read this, instead of donating a new clinic for children, Ray was donating one of his own organs or something to a child, and Andretti was just letting him hold his own heart since he was already in there.

Now that I reread it, and notice the difference, I think it's better this way.  I like to picture the conversation Ray must have had with Andretti:

Ray: "So, I'm thinkin' about maybe making a children's clinic.  How's that for you?"

Andretti: "Ray!  How absolutely generous and thoughful of you!  I'll get the paperwork underway."

Ray: "Yeah, about that - do you think that first, you could snap a picture of me holding my own heart for a Christmas card?  It's a kinda conceptual thing I wanted to try out."

Andretti: "Ah...hmm....."

Or something like that.  Good strip, would read again.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Roger on October 14, 2005, 06:17:46 pm
And here I was ready for another nice, harmless installment of Friday Facts.
This is soooooo much better.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: CortJstr on October 14, 2005, 06:18:15 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "jough"

FOR EVERYTHING MONEY CAN'T BUY, THERE'S THE SMUCKLESCARD (TM)

Surely you mean The Ray Card (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07062005)?

It's nice to know that when I take a sick day you people can look after yourselves.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: miles on October 14, 2005, 06:21:39 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"
The way that I originally read this, instead of donating a new clinic for children, Ray was donating one of his own organs or something to a child, and Andretti was just letting him hold his own heart since he was already in there.

Now that I reread it, and notice the difference, I think it's better this way...


Yeah, I had a similar experience with it, though I really had no fuck*ng idea what was going on at first.  But organ donation was my first thought.

I like the idea of Ray suggesting the donation, and using it as leverage to get what he wants.  Dr. Andretti's a good guy, and if Ray had simply offered him a large sum of money, he might have declined.  But, this is for the kids!  Children are pretty good, you know.

Although, I think the picture of Ray with the heart was more of an afterthought.  I think Ray wanted to hold his heart because it's a Ray kind of idea to have--something that rich cats do.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2005, 06:25:01 pm
What's disturbing to me is that there are real people who are as rich as Ray out there.  Lots of them.  I think they do stuff that is just a crazy that we never find out about.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Golfhaus on October 14, 2005, 07:26:33 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"
Or something like that.  Good strip, would read again.


Hell, I would buy a high-res, autographed version of this. This would be a good one to have.

Then again, if he ever offers the Cartilage Head series as a single unit, I'd have to mortgage the house if it came to that.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 14, 2005, 07:41:35 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, so I did this MRI study in which I did math problems in a tube while Scientists took pictures of my brain, on account of they paid me $80 for it, but then I asked them to email me some pictures of my brain, and they said they would.  And the idea of Christmas card fodder had not occurred to me, but IT HAS NOW, and no, I'm definitely not above photoshopping a jolly wee hat onto my exposed brainy-picture.

Thanks, Achewood!


I gave pictures of my colonoscopy as gift cards -- it wasn't christmas, but it was still festive enough and a good way to share my pain.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 14, 2005, 07:56:36 pm
I have some photos of the inside of my stomach I can use for that too. I could photoshop Santa's Workshop in there.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2005, 08:13:11 pm
Here's me getting a root canal...  Should I be wearing a sweater with snowflakes and reindeers on it?
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN1721-E-450-Getting_a_Root_Canal.jpg)

~Paul
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: AugustWest on October 14, 2005, 09:49:49 pm
Paul, how do you afford the camera crew that follows you everywhere?
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2005, 09:56:28 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Paul, how do you afford the camera crew that follows you everywhere?

I had to buy her lunch.

~Paul
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 14, 2005, 10:18:40 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Here's me getting a root canal...  Should I be wearing a sweater with snowflakes and reindeers on it?
(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN1721-E-450-Getting_a_Root_Canal.jpg)

~Paul


SIX PENCE AND A HUZZAH TO THE FIRST STRAPPING YOUNG GENT OR LASS WHO WILL PHOTOSHOP GENITALIA DESCENDING UPON THIS POOR SOUL'S OPEN MOUTH.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: pmcd9 on October 14, 2005, 10:44:47 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
SIX PENCE AND A HUZZAH TO THE FIRST STRAPPING YOUNG GENT OR LASS WHO WILL PHOTOSHOP GENITALIA DESCENDING UPON THIS POOR SOUL'S OPEN MOUTH.

I have such pictures [unphotoshopped] of genetalia descending upon this happy souls mouth.  Or vice versa actually.  Although not the same brand of genetalia you are referring to i'm quite sure.  Don't worry people, i'm not going to post that.

~Paul
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: V-Adore on October 14, 2005, 10:55:28 pm
Paul, you are some kind of photo-miracle.

Anyway, I unfortunately have no documentation of my one invasive surgery (adenoid removal), or I'd be making the best cards ever. "Merry Christmas from V and V'S ADENOIDS, IN A LITTLE JAR, FOR SAFEKEEPING"
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: MattFish on October 15, 2005, 12:22:40 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Anyway, I unfortunately have no documentation of my one invasive surgery (adenoid removal), or I'd be making the best cards ever. "Merry Christmas from V and V'S ADENOIDS, IN A LITTLE JAR, FOR SAFEKEEPING"


God bless our adenoids, every one.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 15, 2005, 02:44:58 am
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"


God bless our adenoids, every one.


That is one of the most cloying and idiotic plays ever written, but the worst part of all is how most every production does that line.  Logically, it should be

"God blesses everyone!"

A simple enough, if foolishly optimistic statement.  Everyone can be happy or something to that effect.

But instead we get

"God bless us, everyone!"

So we have a command, "God, bless us!" and an extraneous "everyone!"  Perhaps it means "Bless everyone, God!"  An act of hubris to be sure.  I'm not sure I like a god that puts up with that.  I mean, when Niobe opened her fat mouth, did Leto just sit back and take it?  Hell, no, she sent Apollo and Artemis to kill all the bitch's children.  Now, that's the sort of goddess I can rally behind.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: jough on October 15, 2005, 03:43:26 am
It's not a play - at least not originally.

It was from the character of Tiny Tim, in Charles Dickins's novel "A Christmas Carol."

fuck*ng philistines.  Well, at least you didn't say it was a one-man show starring Patrick Stewart, or a movie starring George C. Scott.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: pmcd9 on October 15, 2005, 03:52:21 am
Quote from: "jough"
A Christmas Carol...was a one-man show starring Patrick Stewart

No Shit?

~Paul
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: miles on October 15, 2005, 05:08:35 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "jough"
A Christmas Carol...was a one-man show starring Patrick Stewart

No Shit?


Nice use of the ellipsis there, Paul.

Edit:  I'm a retard when it comes to puncuation.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Ben-San on October 15, 2005, 05:11:25 am
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"

So we have a command, "God, bless us!" and an extraneous "everyone!"  Perhaps it means "Bless everyone, God!"  An act of hubris to be sure.  I'm not sure I like a god that puts up with that.  I mean, when Niobe opened her fat mouth, did Leto just sit back and take it?  Hell, no, she sent Apollo and Artemis to kill all the bitch's children.  Now, that's the sort of goddess I can rally behind.


Leaving aside the "play" thing.. "God bless you/us/him" is and was a standard accepted shortening of "May God bless you/us/him". As for the "every one": part of the point of A Christmas Carol is that everyone deserves God's blessing. Even an asshole like Scrooge has good somewhere in there. "God bless us, every one" diagrams out equivalently to "May God bless every one of us": less naive than "God blesses everyone" (which would imply a lot less suffering in the world), and rather hopeful.

I still don't like A Christmas Carol, but that line's not the reason.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 15, 2005, 06:12:05 am
I realize it was written by Dickens, but I thought he wrote it as a play.

Having seen numerous film/televison versions of it, and having found every last one of them to be saccharine and preachy, I never felt any desire to pick up a copy of it.

Now, Keith Laumer, that is literature.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Beatrice on October 19, 2005, 06:35:07 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "jough"
A Christmas Carol...was a one-man show starring Patrick Stewart

No Shit?



I would watch that, and I would love it
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: jough on October 20, 2005, 01:53:03 am
Well, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but if he does it again this year it's worth getting on a plane to see.  It is awesome.

Stewart totally made it so.

And thus my geek points are used up for the day.
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Mantonio on October 20, 2005, 04:21:22 am
Quote from: "jough"
Well, I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but if he does it again this year it's worth getting on a plane to see.  It is awesome.

Stewart totally made it so.

And thus my geek points are used up for the day.


I'd go see it. The only thing cooler than Stewart reading a Christmas Carol would be Avery Brooks playing Othello. (Alas I can't quite afford to pop on down to DC for that.)
Title: 10-14-05 Children are pretty good, you know.
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 20, 2005, 05:09:27 am
And Spot could play Rumpelteazer.