The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 05:04:26 pm

Title: Games People Play
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 05:04:26 pm
My spouse has suddenly become obsessed with games that are played with cards.  He recently bought a set of "Once Upon a Time (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1001.html)" cards, and they are neat.  We also have various other games, including Wizard, 5 Crowns, Quiddler, Rook, Uno, Skip-Bo, Magic (TG), and the Star Wars ccg.  Has anybody else played some cool card games lately?  Have any childhood favorites?  We need some reccomendations for games that are good to play with two people.  This is because we don't have any friends.

Sorry, I edited this to help you out with the phpBB code for a link. -- jough
Title: Cheapass Games
Post by: Vinz Clortho on August 01, 2003, 05:07:57 pm
JL, you should check out  Cheapass Games (http://www.cheapass.com). They've got a bunch of awesome games that are, well, cheap, and lately have been focusing on card games.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: doomglobe on August 01, 2003, 07:27:14 pm
my friends and I play tichu, gang of four, the bean game (bonanza is its official title), was sticht, klunker, and many other card games. these have been listed in order of fun, but tichu is only for four players.

I dont really like collectible card games, but a friend of mine swears that the lotr trading card game was really great.

also there are card/tile games that are really REALLY fun that I have been playing with friends lateley, like carcasone and settlers of catan.

since this is the touch forum, though, the most tactile game I have ever played is this beautiful 2 player strategy board game called abalone. I think that abalone is the closest to sex that a board game will ever get.

if there are any games that I listed that you cannot find for mail order online, let me know, because at least one of my friends has all of these.
Title: Re: Games People Play
Post by: ferocious j on August 01, 2003, 08:06:53 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
"Once Upon a Time (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG1001.html)" cards,

I remember these!  Some friends of mine had a set way back in the day -- like in high school -- and they were pretty goddamn rad.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: misterhaan on August 01, 2003, 08:08:48 pm
i somewhat recently picked up balderdash off ebay--in excellent condition too! :)
Title: Games People Play
Post by: slink on August 01, 2003, 08:11:09 pm
Yea, my Bro has Once Upon a Time. Not had a chance to play it with him yet.
We used to collect and play Illuminati: New World Order which was good. STeve Jackson Games card game that one.
When I was but a kid I used to o  alot of roleplaying, Cyberpunk and the likes, though for fun Toon was a classic. Keep meaning to get together a game or two at some point.
As for more recently, I've spent far more time playing computer games, got a few on preorder atm, Republic, Deus Ex 2, HL2, X2 The Threat...
Need something new to waste what little free time I'm supposed to have since completing Vice City.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 08:12:31 pm
I think I'm a little turned off on cards after hours upon hours of playing Spades and Egyptian Rat Screw (AKA Mongolian Monkey Fuck) to pass the time at summer camp. Plus this one bastard Noah could count cards and was essentially unbeatable.
Title: Rat Screw
Post by: Vinz Clortho on August 01, 2003, 08:52:43 pm
Rat Screw's one where you have to slap your hand down on cards at one point, right?  Ultra-competitive girls in high school used to love that game, mostly because they would put deep bloody gouges in the back of your hand with their fingernails if you were quicker.

We were soon conditioned to lose.
Title: memories
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 01, 2003, 10:35:43 pm
Wow.. brought back some memories as an only child, friday nights playing cards and such with parents and grandparents.. Rook, Mille Bornes, Oh Heck(oh Hell), Golf, Tripoly, and I always ran away when they brought out the cribbage board.
:edit: oh, yeah, Pit the card game, Stratego(I think that's what it was called)
Title: Games People Play
Post by: Choop on August 01, 2003, 10:42:20 pm
The best fun card game is the bestest! it's called Fluxx, and the rules change as you play. google it, it's not that expensive. plus, it comes with a blank card that you can into your own new card for the game! how cool is that?
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on August 01, 2003, 10:46:02 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
The best fun card game is the bestest! it's called Fluxx, and the rules change as you play. google it, it's not that expensive. plus, it comes with a blank card that you can into your own new card for the game! how cool is that?

Sounds like Calvin Ball but without the wickets.
Title: remember these
Post by: The Wonderous Me on August 01, 2003, 10:47:02 pm
Does anyone remember the book case games, Oh Wah Ri (I think it was something like that.  Oh and Invention with the little thing that bings when ya stick the card into the patent machine thing.
Title: Fluxx!
Post by: Vinz Clortho on August 01, 2003, 11:28:42 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
The best fun card game is the bestest! it's called Fluxx


Yes, Fluxx!  What an excellent and confusing game that is. No other game I know of lets you win by combining Donuts with Nuclear Power.

There's another game by the same makers, but I don't remember the name. With twice as many cards as Fluxx and some kind of time travel theme, it's more baffling than Back to the Future II.
Title: Re: Fluxx!
Post by: V-Adore on August 01, 2003, 11:42:55 pm
Quote from: "Vinz Clortho"

Yes, Fluxx!  What an excellent and confusing game that is. No other game I know of lets you win by combining Donuts with Nuclear Power.

There's another game by the same makers, but I don't remember the name. With twice as many cards as Fluxx and some kind of time travel theme, it's more baffling than Back to the Future II.


You're thinking of Chrononauts, which is extremely awesome. I recommend it pretty highly; there's enough competition and tactics for those people who play games hardcore, and for those who prefer cardgames in a social context, Chrononauts is a great party card game and can accomodate huge crowds of nerds pretty well.

On the subject of Calvinball-like card games, I've recently gotten pretty into Dvorak (http://www.dvorakgame.co.uk) -- a very basic framework of rules used to create themed decks of varying complexity and playability. The system somehow gave birth to a game based on Timecube (http://www.timecube.com), making it possibly the best meta-card game ever, or at least the one with the most nerd cred.
Title: Re: memories
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2003, 12:10:24 am
Quote from: "The Wonderous Me"
Wow.. brought back some memories as an only child, friday nights playing cards and such with parents and grandparents.. Rook, Mille Bornes, Oh Heck(oh Hell), Golf, Tripoly, and I always ran away when they brought out the cribbage board.
:edit: oh, yeah, Pit the card game, Stratego(I think that's what it was called)


Only child high five! ::smack::

To this day I hate the game Gin Rummy because my grandma would totally whoop ass in it on Saturday nights when she was babysitting me.

Also, the Uno people have another game out called Bombo, IIRC. I haven't really looked at it, as I'm a Skip-Bo man, myself.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2003, 02:25:12 am
Not exactly a game, but you can have fun with these cards. (http://www.rtqe.net/ObliqueStrategies/)
Title: Games People Play
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 02, 2003, 09:00:46 am
I first read about this in Games magazine. It sounds awesome. I have not enough cool gameheads around to play it well, though. If four of you come to Hawaii let me know.

http://www.leaked.info/mzo/cards/bwcards.html

The Game of 1000 Blank White Cards.

Really.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2003, 03:47:00 pm
1000 Blank White Cards seems like it would require as much time to read the rules as you'd need to play the game.

Like Fluxx. I'm in.

Speaking of Fluxx (again) they've updated to version 3.0 (http://www.wunderland.com/LooneyLabs/Fluxx/Default.html), which like XHTML 2 deprecates some of the less useful elements and introduces some new ones. I may have to upgrade. At least they don't mail you CDs every week.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 04, 2003, 08:42:19 am
Choop: by "in" you mean you are on you're way to Hawaii to play? Cool! 3 more people and I can light the grill!
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on August 04, 2003, 01:19:08 pm
Have people actually played 1000 Blank Cards? I mean, it sounds neat in theory but it looks like there's so many things that could go wrong.

Does it make more sense once you have a starter deck?
Title: Games People Play
Post by: Flenker on August 04, 2003, 04:42:54 pm
Whenever we visit my grandparents, we'd always play Rummikube (sp?).  And recently I've enjoyed playing Cranium.  But mostly when my friends gather, we either play Beyond Balderdash (which usually boils down to everyone pretty much giving up and writing some pretty hilarious stuff) or Texas Hold 'em poker.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: V-Adore on August 04, 2003, 11:17:54 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Have people actually played 1000 Blank Cards? I mean, it sounds neat in theory but it looks like there's so many things that could go wrong.

Does it make more sense once you have a starter deck?

I honestly have no idea. I think the thing about 1000BWC is it's actually just an excuse to draw random weird crap on cards and play them on each other -- it's confusing in that it looks like it should have rules or a point, but it really doesn't. Personally, if I'm with a group of cool gamer geeks, I'd rather either play a real game or just talk, not do some sort of half-assed hybrid.

That said, if 1000BWC is a unique and/or fun experience, it'd be good to know. Maybe I'd give it a try again.
Title: Re: Cheapass Games
Post by: CortJstr on August 05, 2003, 12:10:38 am
Quote from: "Vinz Clortho"
JL, you should check out  Cheapass Games (http://www.cheapass.com). They've got a bunch of awesome games that are, well, cheap, and lately have been focusing on card games.

Any particular recommendations? I poked around that site and they have a pretty large selection and the descriptions aren't always clear.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: jough on August 05, 2003, 12:25:16 am
I used to play Mille Bournes a ton when I was a kid.

And XHTML 2.0 isn't a card game, although the backwards incompatibility with XHTML/HTML makes it about as useful as one.

That, and the fact that we can't expect browser ubiquity.... well, EVER.  So what good is a standard that no one uses?

Like that 1,000 BWC game.  Will anyone ever play it?

If a card game falls in a forest...
Title: Games People Play
Post by: Choop on August 05, 2003, 02:23:34 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Choop: by "in" you mean you are on you're way to Hawaii to play? Cool! 3 more people and I can light the grill!


Uh.. I think I may have misconstrued my statement. Or you did, or something. Yeah. Something. Anyway, I'm not gonna be able to make it to Hawaii.

What I'm "in" on is getting a bunch of index cards and playing 1000BWCs. Here. In Atlanta.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on August 11, 2003, 02:28:48 am
I got Fluxx over the weekend. Rocks!
Title: Games People Play
Post by: Choop on August 11, 2003, 02:44:47 am
Didja win? Which version did you get?

Don't go and make your blank into a card just yet. Google Fluxx and there are fan sites with lists of new cards people have made, etc.

Yes, I know, it's sad and scary, not just that there are, but also that I knew that without doing it right now.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 11, 2003, 03:10:17 am
Aww, Choop, break my heart and don't come to Hawaii. Although mostly I'm serious about the invitation to <most> of the cool people on this board, I didn't yet clear out the guest room for you yet.

I do make it to Atlanta now and then since I work for the CDC and all. That's not a warning or anything.

If ANYONE really does play the 1000BWC let me know - it would be interesting to know how it went.  I think it sounds like something fun to do in an altered state with a group of people you know but not too well....yet...it would be a good way to get to know people better.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on August 13, 2003, 01:48:43 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Didja win? Which version did you get?

Don't go and make your blank into a card just yet. Google Fluxx and there are fan sites with lists of new cards people have made, etc.

Yes, I know, it's sad and scary, not just that there are, but also that I knew that without doing it right now.


3.0 Beyotch. It didn't come with any blank ones but I can think of some fun new rules. Off the top of my head I'd make a Blind Keepers new rule, where everybody has their keepers face-down so nobody else knows what they are.

We also got Chrononauts which took a couple practice games but we now consider fun.

Unfortunately the Game Keeper only had 2 Cheap Ass Games, so I haven't bought any of those yet.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: Choop on August 13, 2003, 04:30:55 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It didn't come with any blank ones but I can think of some fun new rules. Off the top of my head I'd make a Blind Keepers new rule, where everybody has their keepers face-down so nobody else knows what they are.


No blanks? NO BLANKS?? What a rip! Jeez those people got all sorts of twisted in their limited success!

Also: Is there no more "Government Cover-Up" card? That basically said all Keepers must be hidden (face-down) as long as the rule was in effect.

Not there any more? Damn. I think I'll stick to whatever version I've got, thanks.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on August 13, 2003, 11:01:52 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It didn't come with any blank ones but I can think of some fun new rules. Off the top of my head I'd make a Blind Keepers new rule, where everybody has their keepers face-down so nobody else knows what they are.


No blanks? NO BLANKS?? What a rip! Jeez those people got all sorts of twisted in their limited success!

Also: Is there no more "Government Cover-Up" card? That basically said all Keepers must be hidden (face-down) as long as the rule was in effect.

Not there any more? Damn. I think I'll stick to whatever version I've got, thanks.


Apparently there's some new fun stuff in there like the ever-popular X=X+1 (although I'd have called it X++).

http://wunderland.com/WhatsOld/2002/WN.11.14.02.html
Title: Games People Play
Post by: ferocious j on August 13, 2003, 11:33:07 pm
I've been playing the hell out of this dumb little Flash thing (http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~pyang/flash/snowcraft.htm).  Death to green.  DEATH.
Title: Games People Play
Post by: Choop on August 13, 2003, 11:46:02 pm
I've found via another site the end-all, be-all (http://www.coffeebreakarcade.com/index.html) of web game sites.

they're all right there. holy nice pete. (good one, jl!)
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on August 14, 2003, 02:41:41 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
I've found via another site the end-all, be-all (http://www.coffeebreakarcade.com/index.html) of web game sites.

they're all right there. holy nice pete. (good one, jl!)

It looks like they mainly just took the GameHouse and Popcap games and put them all together in one site. Although I'd be able to tell better if my crappy job didn't use WebSense (http://www.peacefire.org/censorware/WebSENSE/).
Title: Games People Play
Post by: revdj on August 20, 2003, 08:16:43 pm
Back to the poster's original question re: card games.

Someone mentioned Settlers of Catan - while that isn't a card game proper, I think it is one of the most wonderful games I've seen.  But it really needs four players.

For two players, I don't think anything beats a standard deck of 52 cards.  Get on the 'net or buy a book of card game rules, and find a new favorite!
Title: Games People Play
Post by: CortJstr on September 10, 2003, 04:38:02 pm
So I finally ordered some Cheapass games and I'm quite pleased. Hell, just the descriptions and directions on some of these are worth the price.

My favorite part so far is in the directions for Steam Tunnel there's a Variations section that reads "It took us a while to get this game to the point that we really loved it. Along the way we discarded several inferior versions which we will now describe as 'variants' to simulate added value. Enjoy!"

That rocks.