The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on October 16, 2005, 07:48:19 pm
-
Two beauties for your perusal:
Unicorns LA
What do you get when you combine legwarmer-wearing hipsters, interminably cheesy electroclash music and the worst D&D costumes you can imagine? You get this. (http://www.mybarbarian.com/mb-web/video/unicorns_hi.mov) It gets progressively more and more insane toward the end, so even if you think you've seen it all, trust me, wait till the seizure-inducing climax followed by the poofiest park choreography on earth.
Baby Got Back
To cleanse your palate, here's something that will restore your faith in humanity, until you play it 300 times in a row and get sick of it: acoustic folk remake of "Baby Got Back" (http://www.jonathancoulton.com/music/thingaweek/BabyGotBack.mp3). Remaking rap songs as acoustic songs is so 2001, but it still is pretty fun to listen to if you don't tell anyone.
Edit: Please move this to A&E. my bad.
-
In a late-night Skype session with some of my wacky Internet friends, I sent that Baby Got Back cover to someone else under the filename derekkurth-bgb.mp3 (the filename under which it is available on the singer's website). Not knowing what it was, he listened to the first few bars of acoustic noodling, dismissed it, and turned it off.
Later in the conversation, he suddenly began laughing loudly and could not regain his breath for several minutes. He had apparently unbeknownst to us gotten curious and started listening to it, and been ambushed by what it turned out to be.
I have found that it sort of works better at 150% tempo, though. And either way it is of generally lower performance quality than The Gourds' cover of Gin & Juice.
EDIT: Because I am an idiot, I was actually talking about an entirely different and less good acoustic folk cover of Baby Got Back. Whoops.
-
That bluegrass cover of "Gin & Juice" is just incredible, though. And of significantly more musical quality than the original!
-
That bluegrass cover of "Gin & Juice" is just incredible, though. And of significantly more musical quality than the original!
Concur. It's got to the point where, if I try to think of the song, I can only imagine the Gourds version.
-
Alright Bobby I love you again. Unicorns LA!!! It's not Only the greatest thing on earth ever (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/bollywood_beatles.wmv), but it's pretty good.
~Paul
-
Alright Bobby I love you again. Unicorns LA!!! It's not Only the greatest thing on earth ever (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/bollywood_beatles.wmv), but it's pretty good.
~Paul
You stopped loving me?
Did I miss the memo?
-
One worth checking out that this reminded me of, which you've probably all heard, is the almost folky version of Straight Outta Compton.
I did have it but can't find it. Now however I really want to track down this Gourds track.
-
Remember when the Dynamite Hack version of Boyz-N-The Hood used to be on the radio every 9 minutes? Apparently DC101 still plays that several times a week.
-
One worth checking out that this reminded me of, which you've probably all heard, is the almost folky version of Straight Outta Compton.
I did have it but can't find it. Now however I really want to track down this Gourds track.
Maybe you're thinking of this (http://www.ninagordon.com/audio/straightouttacompton.mp3)?
-
Remember when the Dynamite Hack version of Boyz-N-The Hood used to be on the radio every 9 minutes? Apparently DC101 still plays that several times a week.
89-91 when i lived in northern virginia i thought that was the best radio station ever. for a freshman in high school, i thought the Greaseman was incredibly important. Is he still on the air?
-
acoustic folk remake of "Baby Got Back"
Also, thanks for posting this. The chorus part where the backup harmony is singing "L.A. face with an Oakland booty" while the guy who wants to be Conor Oberst is singing "Baby got baaaaaack" is truly one of music's most transcendent moments.
-
89-91 when i lived in northern virginia i thought that was the best radio station ever. for a freshman in high school, i thought the Greaseman was incredibly important. Is he still on the air?
Just saw his face on the back of a bus this morning, for some AM station. I actually caught him on the air one day a couple years ago, and he was doing the exact same bits that we enjoyed in the late 80's. I, too, thought he was the funniest thing ever at the time, but he's been unable to update his schtick.
-
Remember when the Dynamite Hack version of Boyz-N-The Hood used to be on the radio every 9 minutes? Apparently DC101 still plays that several times a week.
89-91 when i lived in northern virginia i thought that was the best radio station ever. for a freshman in high school, i thought the Greaseman was incredibly important. Is he still on the air?
I only ever listened to hfs because the DC101 DJs made me want to stab myself in the ears. Well, moreso than other DJs. I have yet to find anybody who can justify why we, as a society, allow Elliot to continue breathing. There's also the fact that they try to be a classic and new rock station so they play Paradise City every single day in between Trapt or whoever the kids are listening to these days. I'll stick with WNRN thankyouverymuch.
-
Remember when the Dynamite Hack version of Boyz-N-The Hood used to be on the radio every 9 minutes? Apparently DC101 still plays that several times a week.
89-91 when i lived in northern virginia i thought that was the best radio station ever. for a freshman in high school, i thought the Greaseman was incredibly important. Is he still on the air?
I only ever listened to hfs because the DC101 DJs made me want to stab myself in the ears. Well, moreso than other DJs. I have yet to find anybody who can justify why we, as a society, allow Elliot to continue breathing. There's also the fact that they try to be a classic and new rock station so they play Paradise City every single day in between Trapt or whoever the kids are listening to these days. I'll stick with WNRN thankyouverymuch.
um, i remember hearing Alice in Chain's Man in a Box for the first time, i thought it was cool to hear a 4 in a row of Led Zeppelin and i giggled at the Greaseman's skits about batman neing gay.
other than Man in a Box, i do not miss High School.
-
The woman singing in "Straight Out Of Compton" is named Nina Gordon.
-
The woman singing in "Straight Out Of Compton" is named Nina Gordon.
Friend of a friend did an EBM version here. (http://mike.13th-floor.org/compton.mp3)
-
I have yet to find anybody who can justify why we, as a society, allow Elliot to continue breathing.
He does good interviews, actually. The rest of the time, though, yeah, he should be beaten to a pulp. He laughs at his own jokes more than anyone in the history of the universe.
-
For the sake of completeness, there is also Ben Folds' cover of Bitches Ain't Shit (http://www.sonymusic.com/clips/selection/fu/071897/071897_01_01_full_100.asx). (annoying 96kbps windows media link, sorry, but worth it, I think)
-
Maybe you're thinking of this (http://www.ninagordon.com/audio/straightouttacompton.mp3)?
That indeed, is the one...
I had it in my head the last three days!