The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on October 18, 2005, 10:53:00 pm

Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 18, 2005, 10:53:00 pm
Live Celebrity Sex Change (http://people.monstersandcritics.com/article_1055580.php/Courtney_Coxs_brother-in-law_to_have_sex_change_live_on_TV)
Title: Re: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Mantonio on October 18, 2005, 11:16:39 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Live Celebrity Sex Change (http://people.monstersandcritics.com/article_1055580.php/Courtney_Coxs_brother-in-law_to_have_sex_change_live_on_TV)


Oh, I don't think I'll be watchin' that. Even if I had a tv, I probably wouldn't watch it.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 18, 2005, 11:55:15 pm
Who the fuck is Courtney Cox?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 18, 2005, 11:56:51 pm
That's the girl from the "Dancing in the Dark" video who grew up to have big boobies and star on 'Friends' as the one with the big boobies. With the dark hair.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: sjlimmer on October 19, 2005, 02:23:56 am
I just want to apologize for voting beofre reading the first post.  I thought it was just a general question.

"Yes, I like entertaining television."

Dear god, why do we need this?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2005, 02:29:02 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That's the girl from the "Dancing in the Dark" video who grew up to have big boobies and star on 'Friends' as the one with the big boobies. With the dark hair.

Did you see the Longest Yard.  Her Boobies had a feature roll.

~Paul
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 19, 2005, 02:35:31 am
Ugh, "Friends."

I officially despise anyone who liked that show.  Same goes for people who think Will Farrell movies are funny.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: pmcd9 on October 19, 2005, 02:39:52 am
Friends was mildly entertaining for about a season or two.  Will Ferrell movies are a mixed bag, but Old School and Anchorman are funny as hell.  But it's his work on SNL that really makes me laugh.  I guess we just can't be friends then eh IS...

~Paul
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 19, 2005, 02:43:00 am
You just made The List, buddy.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Choop on October 19, 2005, 03:08:20 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Friends was mildly entertaining for about a season or two.  Will Ferrell movies are a mixed bag, but Old School and Anchorman are funny as hell.  But it's his work on SNL that really makes me laugh.  I guess we just can't be friends then eh IS...


If Paul's on your list, then so am I. He speaks truth here.

Besides, I had a roommate once who taped every episode of Friends, and not on a junk tape, but For Posterity. I'm no fan of obsessive fans of average sitcoms, but hey, they ain't hurting me.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: side_show on October 19, 2005, 03:21:17 am
Just to clairify, I know my celebrities so well that I can tell you that Alexis Arquette played the Boy George impersonater in The Wedding Singer.

I feel so dirty.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 19, 2005, 03:48:29 am
I'll show you!  I'll show all of you!
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: side_show on October 19, 2005, 05:13:54 am
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"
Ugh, "Friends."

I officially despise anyone who liked that show.  Same goes for people who think Will Farrell movies are funny.


I have recently been working with a young woman who didn't seem to be understanding the very basic work-related emails I had been sending her with simple tasks that she need to perform.  Basic things like "call the actors and find out which dates are good for them to rehearse on."  So I finally tracked her down, she came to rehearsal, I asked her to read part of the script out load to the actors, and that is when I discovered that she is basically illiterate, which was quite shocking since she's in second-year university.  So I was pretty surprised as to how over-all dull she is, and at the next meeting I attended, she was wearing a "Friends" t-shirt, and I understood all.  It was just one of those indicators for me.  Like when you realize on the second date that there will be no third date because the guy talks about his mother all night - the T-shirt was like that for me.  At first I felt bad for her, then I realized I would have to do half her job on top of mine, and I just got annoyed.  I would ask her to do the simple basic tasks related to her job and she would just look at me like I was not speaking English.

Yeah, yeah, some of you smarty p*nts on the board like "Friends," but you're also smart enough to list off a dozen other activities you'd enjoy doing instead of watching that show.  You're not still sad that it's cancelled.  You don't have a Gilmore Girls screen saver like this girl does.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: arkabee on October 19, 2005, 01:26:30 pm
no, i wouldn't watch it, the word "needle" makes me woozy.

i like the Friends show.  it's funny.  the characters are insecure in a reassuring manner.  except the blonde, who i wished had fallen off the balcony.  she is trite.

i'm going to make a large, sweeping guesstimate that most people who watch[ed] Friends are assholes.

i'm also going to state that most people are Assholes.


off Dawg's linked ariticle, an example of What The Fuck in action:

" Most Popular Articles on People Today
1.
   Kirsten Dunst reportedly drunk at premiere
2.
   Courtney Cox's brother-in-law to have sex change live on TV
3.
   Jude Law has a date with Salma Hayek
4.
   Paris Hilton's has penned 'sorry' note to Nicole Richie
5.
   Sharon Stone nothing to hide at store opening
6.
   Is Jolie Working Black Magic on Brad Pitt?
7.
   Michael Jackson gives hotel staff a fright
8.
   Photos confirm Aniston and Vaughn romance?
9.
   Photos spark speculation Holmes is more than 3 months gone
10.
   Paris Hilton has reportedly auctioned off engagement ring "


IS THERE A fuck*ng DAMNED THING THAT IS ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM IMPORTANT IN THAT DAMN LIST?!?!?!


the magazine is "People"?  I CALL BULLSHIT! Name it "Celebrity", but stop calling it people alrady!  i know, call it "fuck*ng People" or something.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 19, 2005, 01:49:46 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
she was wearing a "Friends" t-shirt, and I understood all.  It was just one of those indicators for me.  Like when you realize on the second date that there will be no third date because the guy talks about his mother all night - the T-shirt was like that for me.

This reminds me of a friend who decided there would be no 2nd date because the guy used "cromulent" in a sentence. She didn't know what it meant but learned the origin the next day while discussing the date with another friend. Personally this choice makes me doubt keeping her as a friend. It's a perfectly cromulent word.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: acoxcae on October 19, 2005, 02:09:34 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
This reminds me of a friend who decided there would be no 2nd date because the guy used "cromulent" in a sentence. She didn't know what it meant but learned the origin the next day while discussing the date with another friend. Personally this choice makes me doubt keeping her as a friend. It's a perfectly cromulent word.


You're damn right - cromulent is the very definition of cromulency, and I fully support its future wordification by the people who do those kinds of things.

It's certainly not a reason to break a date.

And - I continue to be astounded, shocked, and deeply disappointed at what qualifies for TV.  Apparently, if a celebrity is doing something, it's immediately TV-worthy, even if that celebrity is the no-talent brother of a minimal-talent actor who's married to a girl that hasn't had cultural relevancy for 5 years.  I'm just gonna go watch MythBusters and Good Eats until somebody finds out where all the TV writers have gone.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: jough on October 19, 2005, 02:28:01 pm
No, she was right to never want to see the dude who just COULD NOT KEEP HIS fuck*ng MOUTH SHUT ABOUT A SIMPSON'S REFERENCE because let's face it, if he couldn't hold back the geekery on the FIRST date, she was in for a two hour "Knights Who Say Ni"-a-thon when she met his best friend in a few weeks.

HONEY, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING

GET OUT NOW BEFORE THE DR. WHO REFERENCES START
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: misterqueue on October 19, 2005, 02:40:44 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

IS THERE A fuck*ng DAMNED THING THAT IS ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM IMPORTANT IN THAT DAMN LIST?!?!?!


the magazine is "People"?  I CALL BULLSHIT! Name it "Celebrity", but stop calling it people alrady!  i know, call it "fuck*ng People" or something.


Not to start sucking dicks just yet, but I love this comment... I love it so much
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: V-Adore on October 19, 2005, 03:15:10 pm
Quote from: "jough"
No, she was right to never want to see the dude who just COULD NOT KEEP HIS fuck*ng MOUTH SHUT ABOUT A SIMPSON'S REFERENCE because let's face it, if he couldn't hold back the geekery on the FIRST date, she was in for a two hour "Knights Who Say Ni"-a-thon when she met his best friend in a few weeks.

HONEY, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING

GET OUT NOW BEFORE THE DR. WHO REFERENCES START

See, at this point I don't even use "cromulent" as a Simpsons reference. It's just a good, cromulent word. Like "grok."

(Is my holistic gestalt grokkable?)
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 19, 2005, 04:06:45 pm
Quote from: "jough"
No, she was right to never want to see the dude who just COULD NOT KEEP HIS fuck*ng MOUTH SHUT ABOUT A SIMPSON'S REFERENCE because let's face it, if he couldn't hold back the geekery on the FIRST date, she was in for a two hour "Knights Who Say Ni"-a-thon when she met his best friend in a few weeks.

HONEY, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING

GET OUT NOW BEFORE THE DR. WHO REFERENCES START

Actually I think the guy got off easy. It was only a matter of time before he found out that she is a vegetarian who doesn't own a TV, only reads non-fiction, and used to work for a senator. The girl doesn't know Alton Brown from a hole in the ground.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: andalucia on October 19, 2005, 05:01:55 pm
This girl I live with owns three seasons of Friends, two on VHS, one on DVD, also the official Friends trivia game.  You guys are making me feel like less of a bad person for wishing I had known this earlier.  I had held out on not watching these infernal Friends for a very long time, only to find myself having to watch it in a cultural studies class.  Sadly, this is true of many things, but mostly I think I am fairly oblivious to celebrities and the wacky things they do.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Max on October 19, 2005, 06:04:27 pm
I think Will Ferrel is pretty damn funny.  Especially Anchorman.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 19, 2005, 06:09:49 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

i'm also going to state that most people are Assholes..


You broke the code!


As for celebrity worship, I have only one thing to say.  If you get excited about Britney Spear's wedding plans, or David Arquette's sex change, or anything Michael Jackson does short of raise the dead and walk on water, do me a favor and kill yourself.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Bozack on October 19, 2005, 07:11:58 pm
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"

As for celebrity worship, I have only one thing to say.  If you get excited about Britney Spear's wedding plans, or David Arquette's sex change, or anything Michael Jackson does short of raise the dead and walk on water, do me a favor and kill yourself.


God. YES. PLEASE. STOP fuck*ng ENCOURAGING THE CELEBRITIES!

I blame John Travolta for the Scientologists giving "free stress tests" in the middle of the fuck*ng 42nd street/Times Square subway stop, at rush hour. FUCKERS.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: slink on October 19, 2005, 08:09:04 pm
Personally I hate Will Farrell, Ferrell, Ferrel, Farrel... whatever the fuck it is.
Though not quite as much as I hate Jimmy Fallon. God what an asshole he is. "What gives you the right?"

And while I did watch Friends way back, I got incredibly sick of it after my ex watched it over and over. She was one of those who videotaped it every time it was on and watched them constantly.

Now I have less than no inclination to see it again.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 19, 2005, 08:09:05 pm
The SO's sister was visiting this weekend and had a copy of US from the plane trip. She kept talking about stuff in the magazine and I was very proud that I'd only even heard of one person she was talking about (what's-her-name from Alias. With the big forehead).
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: miles on October 19, 2005, 08:36:24 pm
Quote from: "jough"
No, she was right to never want to see the dude who just COULD NOT KEEP HIS fuck*ng MOUTH SHUT ABOUT A SIMPSON'S REFERENCE because let's face it, if he couldn't hold back the geekery on the FIRST date, she was in for a two hour "Knights Who Say Ni"-a-thon when she met his best friend in a few weeks.

HONEY, YOU DID THE RIGHT THING

GET OUT NOW BEFORE THE DR. WHO REFERENCES START


Thank you Jough.  The Simpsons are great, and pop culture references are fine among fellow geeks.  And clearly, the writers of the Simpsons are (or maybe were) very clever.  But dropping a reference is not an example of cleverness, like so many think.  It's being a geek.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2005, 12:01:19 am
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"
You just made The List, buddy.

This must be your list of the most awesome people ever.

~Paul
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 20, 2005, 12:56:30 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"
You just made The List, buddy.

This must be your list of the most awesome people ever.

It's the mustache
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Mantonio on October 20, 2005, 04:29:53 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"
You just made The List, buddy.

This must be your list of the most awesome people ever.

It's the mustache


I don't much care for Bashar al Assad, but I must admit the Imperator is growing on me.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 20, 2005, 05:30:32 am
Indeed, Will Farrell just does fart jokes for frat daddies, but Jimmy Fallon is more than that.  He's truly offensive.  In the good old days, we nailed his sort to trees.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: miles on October 20, 2005, 05:33:27 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
...(what's-her-name from Alias. With the big forehead).


Kinda looks like a hoss?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Bozack on October 20, 2005, 05:40:10 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
(what's-her-name from Alias. With the big forehead).


I read that and thought, oh, ******** ******!
(name removed to protect the children)
Then I realized that I knew her name and recoiled in horror. I spent the next hour crying.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: slink on October 20, 2005, 07:43:08 am
Quote from: "Imperator Severn"
Indeed, Will Farrell just does fart jokes for frat daddies, but Jimmy Fallon is more than that.  He's truly offensive.  In the good old days, we nailed his sort to trees.


And guess who is apparently in the movie of I Dream of Jeanie. Ugh. Can he manage to not look at the fuck*ng camera?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 20, 2005, 10:25:12 am
The real question is, "Can he manage to not be in front of the camera?"
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 20, 2005, 04:24:34 pm
How do you think Anchorman is funny. How do you do it. I thought Will Ferell was actually pretty good in it, but it was everyone around him I hated. Especially Steve Carell's character. He made me want to slit my wrists towards the end of the movie. I thank god every day that they have yet to make Hot Topic shirts with Steve Carrell quotes from Anchorman on them.

Anyways, that just brings up a weird thing about Will Ferell for me. I hate pretty much every movie he's been in. Old School, Ancorman, Bewitched, that one soccer one. And yet, I still like him somehow.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: jough on October 20, 2005, 04:49:27 pm
I liked Elf.  It was actually a pretty decent holiday movie (although the last half hour I think I started checking my email on my PDA).

Kicking & Screaming was pretty funny too, although it oscillated between really annoying/stupid and funny.

The show Arrested Development is like that too.  It'll go from unbelieveably inspid, the worst that sitcoms have to offer, to twisted and funny, often during the same show segment.  It's infuriating at times, because when it's funny, it's REALLY funny, but dang, the Forrest Gump brother (Buster) just needs to be left out of the show.

And Portia di Rossi needs to wear a lot less.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 20, 2005, 05:04:25 pm
Double the post, double the fun.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 20, 2005, 05:05:14 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I liked Elf.  It was actually a pretty decent holiday movie (although the last half hour I think I started checking my email on my PDA).

Kicking & Screaming was pretty funny too, although it oscillated between really annoying/stupid and funny.

The show Arrested Development is like that too.  It'll go from unbelieveably inspid, the worst that sitcoms have to offer, to twisted and funny, often during the same show segment.  It's infuriating at times, because when it's funny, it's REALLY funny, but dang, the Forrest Gump brother (Buster) just needs to be left out of the show.

And Portia di Rossi needs to wear a lot less.


How often do you watch AD? Buster isn't anything like Forrest Gump. Also, please cite specific examples of insipidness. Not because I want to go on some rabid obsessive fan rant about how you're wrong, I just am kind of curious as to what you have found to be bad on the show.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: slink on October 20, 2005, 05:46:06 pm
Quote from: "jough"


And Portia di Rossi needs to wear a lot less.


Oh yes...

And erm, I guess it's because Buster kind of reminds me of someone I know that makes it slightly less annoying.
It can be fairly mediocre, and even a bit trite at points, but it can also be damned funny. I enjoyed it thoroughly as something to download and watch while feeling shitty.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Golfhaus on October 20, 2005, 05:49:55 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I blame John Travolta for the Scientologists giving "free stress tests" in the middle of the fuck*ng 42nd street/Times Square subway stop, at rush hour. FUCKERS.


Boz, you DO realize that by posting this on the Internet, The Scientologists will now sue you for saying it... Jough for hosting it... me for commenting on it... and everyone else here for reading it, right?

Word has it they'll use our money to buy Katie Holmes a new family.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Bozack on October 20, 2005, 05:52:44 pm
No, they'll probably just steal my fuck*ng brain using the hypnotic powers of Tom Cruise's giant teeth.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 20, 2005, 06:06:30 pm
Yeah, they are kind of touchy. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_vs._the_Internet)
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: jough on October 20, 2005, 06:08:04 pm
I'm just done the second disc of the first season.  When I get the third I'll start to post an insipid journal.

But for example, pretty much anything involving Buster is unfunny.  Although I did laugh at "Hey Hermano" and also laughed at how quickly (like, five shows) that it took them to make a joke about the seemingly un-jokeable catch phrase "Hey brother."

Liza Minelli just being on the show is not in itself "funny."  You have to give her funny things to do.  Trying to keep her balance isn't funny.  It's insipid.  It's annoying.

And in general I like physical comedy, slapstick, etc.

The mother character can at times be a bit trite and annoying too.  

Will Arnett should be in pretty much every scene.  I never would have thought the phrase "I should go to South America" would ever be hilarious, but it is when he says it.

Anyway, I'll cite more specific examples when I watch another episode.  There's something incredibly stupid in each one!

<just then an arm goes flying onto your screen>

AND THAT IS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T QUESTION SOMEONE ELSE'S OPINION ON THE INTERNET
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 20, 2005, 06:19:03 pm
There are things that crack me up in the general background of that show that keep me watching (that and Portia Di Rossia..holy crap)

The staircase truck
The banana stand
The dad's twin brother
The spelling of Gob's name
Gob's Segway
The general presence of David Cross
The general presence of Henry Winkler
Maebe's name and the tension between the cousins


I kind of look at this show kind of like 'Soap' (any of y'all remember 'Soap'?) - it's tough to like EVERYTHING because there is way more going on than in a normal TV program week-to-week, but there is definitely stuff you like and follow.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: jough on October 20, 2005, 06:21:18 pm
Quote
The dad's twin brother


???

Have I just not gotten there yet?

Yeah, pretty much everything about the GOB character is great.  Do we ever know what the O stands for?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 20, 2005, 07:30:10 pm
Sorry! I don't think that should count as a spoiler since you're looking way back - rest assured, though, amusement will ensue when you get there and I haven't really wrecked anything for you.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 20, 2005, 08:02:22 pm
I forget the Gob thing, somebody remind me.

I enjoy that the "next time on" and "previously on" bits are things we never actually see but are apparently canon anyway. Not to mention the narrator's occasional touchiness and defense of all things Ron Howard while referring to him in the 3rd person.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: slink on October 20, 2005, 08:18:27 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I forget the Gob thing, somebody remind me.

I enjoy that the "next time on" and "previously on" bits are things we never actually see but are apparently canon anyway.


I did particularly like the 'next time on' stuff. Oft times the episode was at least worth watching for those. And Gob in general cracks me up. I did rather like some of Tobias' stuff too. The later stuff with the 'do you even listen to yourself speak' was good.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: arkabee on October 20, 2005, 08:45:26 pm
Soap was a great show.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 20, 2005, 09:40:55 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote
The dad's twin brother


???

Have I just not gotten there yet?

Yeah, pretty much everything about the GOB character is great.  Do we ever know what the O stands for?


GOB's name is George Oscar Bluth II.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: side_show on October 20, 2005, 11:17:47 pm
Well, moving from being against celebrity gossip, to the titilated telling of, perhaps you boys should check out Portia Di Rossi's  "official" coming out article in the Advocate (http://www2.advocate.com/issue_letters_ektid946.asp).  Somehow I think this makes her more attractive.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: jough on October 21, 2005, 12:33:00 am
Yeah, I already knew that she preferred the company of women, but really, in my mind, most women like to get it on with both men and women AT THE SAME TIME anyway*.  So it's never much of a stretch to take in the fact of some new celebrity outing.



* And of course, in my mind, I AM THAT MAN.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: side_show on October 21, 2005, 01:36:43 am
Being that I have always been one to like both the men and the ladies (ooh, was that just a board outing?  Ahhh, you all know I work in theatre, so you can fill in the rest) I have to note, that it is the "AT THE SAME TIME" thing that I can't get around.  Waaay too much work.

Anyway, the idea of Portia Di Rossi and Angelina Jolie in one room together, nevermind in a love scene?  w00t!  It's like a totally amped up Betty and Veronica thing!
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 21, 2005, 01:50:28 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Being that I have always been one to like both the men and the ladies (ooh, was that just a board outing?  Ahhh, you all know I work in theatre, so you can fill in the rest)

I'm not gonna search right now but I'm almost positive that you've mentioned this before. I think in the same post/thread as when you told us you had to wear a school girl uniform. Or I made the whole thing up and look like a huge pervert now. Whichever.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AugustWest on October 21, 2005, 02:57:17 am
I'd just like to point out that Arrested Development doesn't make me laugh.  I've watched it several times and it just hasn't done it for me.  I don't dislike it, but I don't feel compelled to watch it again.

My Name is Earl, on the other hand, that's comedy GOLD.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 21, 2005, 03:36:35 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'd just like to point out that Arrested Development doesn't make me laugh.  I've watched it several times and it just hasn't done it for me.  I don't dislike it, but I don't feel compelled to watch it again.

My Name is Earl, on the other hand, that's comedy GOLD.


That's pretty much exactly what everyone says at first. In fact, I think I wrote the exact same thing in a blog post about a year ago...here we go:

Quote from: "me, December 7th, 2004"
As for my thoughts on the show...I've tried to watch it about 3 times and it always fails to grab me. Is it funny? Sure, but not enough that I want to drop everything and watch it. It's way better than most of the network fare, that's for sure, but I just can't get into it.


It's a damn hard show to get into. The best test is to just rent the first disc of Season 1. If you don't like it by the time you finish that, then you never will. I gave the show one last chance and rented the first disc, and now I am seriously hooked. I'm not saying you'll be, but it's the best way to find out once and for all.

T JOUGH I actually agree with your complaints about the show. Or at least, Liza Manelli. I wouldn't really classify them as insipid myself. But then, it's probably my favorite show ever right after MST3K and classic Simpsons, so I can't claim much objectivity. I will say that I think you'll probably find less insipidness on disc 3. It contains some of the best episodes in the series. The show really takes off once they get past all the Lucille 2/Marta stuff.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2005, 04:01:29 am
Bob Loblaw.

~Paul
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AugustWest on October 21, 2005, 04:54:56 am
I don't have complaints about it and I've watched nigh on 8 hours.  It just doesn't grab me.  It's OK.  You can enjoy it.  I don't so much.  Life goes on.

For what it's worth, I felt the same way about Soap 25 years ago.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: side_show on October 21, 2005, 05:09:58 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "side_show"
Being that I have always been one to like both the men and the ladies (ooh, was that just a board outing?  Ahhh, you all know I work in theatre, so you can fill in the rest)

I'm not gonna search right now but I'm almost positive that you've mentioned this before. I think in the same post/thread as when you told us you had to wear a school girl uniform. Or I made the whole thing up and look like a huge pervert now. Whichever.


Yeah, I probably did mention this in a more off-hand, flirty way a while back.  I tend to feel like it doesn't really matter, it never really mattered in my circle who I was dating before I settled down into monogamy anyway, and especially since I've been in the same relationship for almost four years now, and it's with the boy, and will be with the same boy from now til my head pops off my neck, so the whole issue is moot, really.  Still, come on she's foxy, is all I'm sayin.'
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 21, 2005, 06:03:01 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I don't have complaints about it and I've watched nigh on 8 hours.  It just doesn't grab me.  It's OK.  You can enjoy it.  I don't so much.  Life goes on.

For what it's worth, I felt the same way about Soap 25 years ago.


Oh. Sorry, I didn't want to come off like I was pushing the show on you. I really hate it when people do that and the last thing I want to do is go all browncoat (http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/) on anyone. I just find it interesting that we both had pretty much the same initial perceptions of the show. I would imagine a lot of people feel the same way and it's probably what's holding the show back in the ratings.

Interesting that you mention Soap too. I've heard that comparison pretty often, but I know nothing about the show. I guess I'm too young.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Bozack on October 21, 2005, 07:14:24 am
Quote from: "side_show"
...from now til my head pops off my neck...


Is...is this something that concievably might happen? Should we be emotionally prepared? Are you actually a Rock'em, Sock'em *****?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Golfhaus on October 21, 2005, 12:01:30 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "side_show"
...from now til my head pops off my neck...


Is...is this something that concievably might happen? Should we be emotionally prepared? Are you actually a Rock'em, Sock'em #####?


Nah, it's just part of her insane new dance move (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07112003).
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 21, 2005, 01:29:29 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Oh. Sorry, I didn't want to come off like I was pushing the show on you. I really hate it when people do that and the last thing I want to do is go all browncoat (http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/) on anyone.

Thank you! The worst are Firefly fans who won't watch Farscape despite it having the same basic plot and being out first. Not to mention some chunks of Trigun. That said, it's a decent show and an OK flick.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: V-Adore on October 21, 2005, 01:41:48 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Oh. Sorry, I didn't want to come off like I was pushing the show on you. I really hate it when people do that and the last thing I want to do is go all browncoat (http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/serenity/) on anyone.

Thank you! The worst are Firefly fans who won't watch Farscape despite it having the same basic plot and being out first. Not to mention some chunks of Trigun. That said, it's a decent show and an OK flick.

Speaking as a big Firefly fan here: I get really frustrated when people act like Firefly was the first space western ever, and especially when they act like Joss is creating pure magic in using very basic tropes of the Western genre. (For example, I've seen lots of praise of Inara as an "innovative" character, and while I agree she's an excellent implementation of her trope, the Hooker With a Heart of Gold Who's Stronger Than She Looks is a pretty standard trope of the genre, people. Joss did not make most of this up.) Perspective, people!
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: aparrish on October 21, 2005, 01:52:19 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Speaking as a big Firefly fan here: I get really frustrated when people act like Firefly was the first space western ever, and especially when they act like Joss is creating pure magic in using very basic tropes of the Western genre. (For example, I've seen lots of praise of Inara as an "innovative" character, and while I agree she's an excellent implementation of her trope, the Hooker With a Heart of Gold Who's Stronger Than She Looks is a pretty standard trope of the genre, people. Joss did not make most of this up.) Perspective, people!


Nonsense.  Joss Whedon is made of solid gold and he created sunshine.  Also he gave birth to the baby Jesus.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 21, 2005, 02:09:30 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Speaking as a big Firefly fan here: I get really frustrated when people act like Firefly was the first space western ever, and especially when they act like Joss is creating pure magic in using very basic tropes of the Western genre. (For example, I've seen lots of praise of Inara as an "innovative" character, and while I agree she's an excellent implementation of her trope, the Hooker With a Heart of Gold Who's Stronger Than She Looks is a pretty standard trope of the genre, people. Joss did not make most of this up.) Perspective, people!

Nonsense.  Joss Whedon is made of solid gold and he created sunshine.  Also he gave birth to the baby Jesus.

Aparrish, clearly you need to buy 7 of these (http://www.thinkgeek.com/pvp/swag/77da/).

V-Adore, somehow I knew I could count on you to be a non-insane fan. The couple of Firefly fans I know it real life not only drank the Whedon Kool-Aid but bathe in it daily. So they will here nothing spoken against any of this shows no matter how valid the points are.

Now Ben Edlund. There is a man who can do no wrong.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: V-Adore on October 21, 2005, 02:21:53 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
V-Adore, somehow I knew I could count on you to be a non-insane fan. The couple of Firefly fans I know it real life not only drank the Whedon Kool-Aid but bathe in it daily. So they will here nothing spoken against any of this shows no matter how valid the points are.

Thanks.

This really irritated me while I was talking to friends about Serenity. While I really enjoyed the movie, I wasn't very impressed with some plot points, but talking to the True Browncoat Believers is like talking to a brick wall. The arguments tend to be "hey, it's better than no more Firefly" (fair enough) and "it's JOSS, what are you TALKING ABOUT?" (aaargh).
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: misterqueue on October 21, 2005, 02:26:09 pm
Every time I hear Joss Wheadons name my colon tries to shoot up through my body and slam into my brain repeatedly until I expire.

Just once I'd like to hear him admit his shit is camp and stop pretending he's re-creating the magna carta (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09102004)

But no, it's always, "Well the essence of this scene was captured by the tenuous relat-"  DUDE YOU HAVE SHOWTUNE DEMONS OKAY?

In conclusion, thanks for the brain bruises you guys... I love you all.  *passes out*
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Bozack on October 21, 2005, 04:42:10 pm
I liked "Serenity." I think I might rent "Firefly." And I liked his run on "the Astonishing X-Men."

But I HATE Buffy.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: jough on October 21, 2005, 06:35:06 pm
I'm really into Veronica Mars.  What a great show.

Lost is pretty decent, although this season so far hasn't been enthralling.

Curb Your Enthusiasm has gotten stale.

I don't really watch the Simpsons anymore.

South Park's mid-season premier was predictable.

My Name is Earl started out much stronger than I would've thought.  Nice surprise there.

I really like the American version of The Office.  It's not an exact clone of its British superiour, and this season it's finding its own legs.  I predict that by next season it'll be one of the "classic" tv comedies on its own.

Everybody Hates Chris is funny, although I don't know if they can keep it up for a whole season, let alone multiple seasons.  Already they're repeating jokes.

I've actually been watching more TV lately due to:

a) my PVR that lets me easily record stuff
b) my PDA which lets me carry TV shows with me, or watch them while laying in bed comfortably
c) the lack of decent movies coming out to DVD

Although when I say "watching tv" I don't mean on an actual television.  I tend to watch stuff either on my PC or PDA, with the PDA gaining more time lately.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Golfhaus on October 21, 2005, 07:13:47 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Although when I say "watching tv" I don't mean on an actual television.  I tend to watch stuff either on my PC or PDA, with the PDA gaining more time lately.


Because it wouldn't be jough if you weren't being the uber-nerd about it.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 21, 2005, 07:24:50 pm
Quote from: "misterqueue"
Every time I hear Joss Wheadons name my colon tries to shoot up through my body and slam into my brain repeatedly until I expire.

Just once I'd like to hear him admit his shit is camp and stop pretending he's re-creating the magna carta (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09102004)

But no, it's always, "Well the essence of this scene was captured by the tenuous relat-"  DUDE YOU HAVE SHOWTUNE DEMONS OKAY?

In conclusion, thanks for the brain bruises you guys... I love you all.  *passes out*


Joss Whedon's writing style on its own irritates me. But if that was it, I could just ignore him and be fine with it. But the goddamned Whedonites. My god. I've heard someone say he is better than Shakespere and they were 100 percent serious. Or how about the guy that paid over 3000 dollars to buy all the tickets for a showing of Serenity and then handed them out to random people?

It's mostly the Browncoats that get me. I can grant you being and obsessive fan of Buffy or Angel, they both lasted 5 or 6 seasons, right? Browncoats terrify me because they are getting all Scientologist over something that had 12 episodes. I just cannot understand how such a rabid fandom can spring up over such a short-lived series. I have a feeling these people would commit suicide if Whedon told them to (and I'm surprised he didn't after Serenity's box office take).

And I should make it clear that I am not speaking of everyone who likes Joss Whedon. I know there are some of you on this board that are fans, and I can respect that. It's just the creepy cultists I hate.

I wonder what it is about Whedon that brings out this scary obsessiveness in people.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Ben-San on October 21, 2005, 09:13:18 pm
I saw one episode of Firefly and liked it pretty well. To establish that I am a gigantic dork, I saw it as part of the showings of Hugo-nominated sf films and TV at Worldcon, so I wasn't exactly surprised that it was pretty good. Probably not something I would become a hardcore fan of, but I would enjoy watching the rest of the series and probably will sometime.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: V-Adore on October 22, 2005, 12:50:08 am
I have never been able to get into Buffy or Angel. The SO really likes both, but... eh, I don't hate them, but they really don't compel me to watch them at all. I'm not sure why I like Firefly better; my pet theory is that Firefly is a show that actually contains adult characters as the primary movers and shakers, but it might be the genre. Who knows?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: slink on October 22, 2005, 10:33:11 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have never been able to get into Buffy or Angel. The SO really likes both, but... eh, I don't hate them, but they really don't compel me to watch them at all. I'm not sure why I like Firefly better; my pet theory is that Firefly is a show that actually contains adult characters as the primary movers and shakers, but it might be the genre. Who knows?


Plus the dialogue, no?
I just grok the way they speak so much. The mix of, well as Joss puts it, Quaker, Western and Austen and such. It just makes me fuzzy inside.
I am however a great big Whedon fan...

As Jough mentioned though, veronica Mars is also really good. I think they are showing it over here now, but seeing as I'm into season 2... Lost is pretty cool, not stunning, but better than season 1 was I reckon.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: side_show on October 22, 2005, 04:47:25 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "side_show"
...from now til my head pops off my neck...


Is...is this something that concievably might happen? Should we be emotionally prepared? Are you actually a Rock'em, Sock'em #####?


Nah, it's just part of her insane new dance move (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07112003).


Ah, yes - that's me, and if I can perfect that move, I will leave my SO and travel the world making millions, my soul a hollow husk.  

Also, more on topic, as the wine bottle grew empty a couple nights ago, my SO answered the phone and a telemarketer talked him into signing us up for 200 channel digital cable through our phone line.  They will be coming in a couple weeks, and I am very afraid.  But it's winter, so why not hibernate, right?

I excitedly realized that I will get to watch Iron Chef again, and re-runs of Sex in the City.  Also, I always watched Arrested Development on the bunny ears, and I've always enjoyed it.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: V-Adore on October 22, 2005, 07:18:57 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have never been able to get into Buffy or Angel. The SO really likes both, but... eh, I don't hate them, but they really don't compel me to watch them at all. I'm not sure why I like Firefly better; my pet theory is that Firefly is a show that actually contains adult characters as the primary movers and shakers, but it might be the genre. Who knows?


Plus the dialogue, no?
I just grok the way they speak so much. The mix of, well as Joss puts it, Quaker, Western and Austen and such. It just makes me fuzzy inside.
I am however a great big Whedon fan...

See, that's the funny thing. I find the dialogue in Buffy and Angel twee and grating over an entire episode's span -- it makes for funny one-liners, but I have a hard time suspending disbelief for very long that real people would talk like this. I have no idea why Firefly doesn't do the same, except that maybe I've become inured to non-realistic-styled dialogue in more overtly "genre" productions.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Golfhaus on October 23, 2005, 01:19:03 am
Quote from: "side_show"
I excitedly realized that I will get to watch Iron Chef again, and re-runs of Sex in the City.  Also, I always watched Arrested Development on the bunny ears, and I've always enjoyed it.


My SO has gotten me hooked on Iron Chef - it routinely takes up 2/3 of the space in our DVR. Food Network has recently gotten to the point where it's no longer Michiba as IC Japanese, but Nakamura.

I wonder if Sakai comes off as wussy in realtime as the dubbers make him out to be - they have gone on the record to say that a lot of what they say ("Always a pleasure," "Flam-ola!," etc.) is stuff they bullshat up in the studio.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: side_show on October 23, 2005, 06:07:53 am
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
Quote from: "side_show"
I excitedly realized that I will get to watch Iron Chef again, and re-runs of Sex in the City.  Also, I always watched Arrested Development on the bunny ears, and I've always enjoyed it.


My SO has gotten me hooked on Iron Chef - it routinely takes up 2/3 of the space in our DVR. Food Network has recently gotten to the point where it's no longer Michiba as IC Japanese, but Nakamura.

I wonder if Sakai comes off as wussy in realtime as the dubbers make him out to be - they have gone on the record to say that a lot of what they say ("Always a pleasure," "Flam-ola!," etc.) is stuff they bullshat up in the studio.


Oooh!  I tingle with anticipation
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: pmcd9 on October 23, 2005, 07:57:02 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
space western

I just watched Air Bud 4:  Seventh Inning Fetch.

~Paul
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Lister on October 23, 2005, 08:49:17 pm
Re: fandom

I was (and to some extent, am) a MSTie.  I seriously loved me some Mystery Science Theater 3000.  I ran up huge bills on AOL (2400bps!) chatting with other MSTies.  I joined the fan club.  I bought T-shirts.  I volunteered at the convention.

I evangelized.  When EVIL COMEDY CENTRAL had the gall to cancel it, I tried to get it taken off local cable networks*.  I couldn't understand how anyone could not love the show.  I drove 100 miles to see the movie when it opened, and felt sure that it would've been a huge hit if only it had been promoted and put into wide release.

I assume that this is how Browncoats feel about Firefly.  I don't get the show, myself, and really don't think I could care that much about a show again.  But having been in a similar situation, I can empathize.  When you're in a world of fandom, constantly in contact with other fans, you can easily lose sight of the fact that there's a huge, indifferent world out there, and you aren't going to change their opinion because they don't have one.

It's tough to admit that your own niche fandom is just one of thousands, and that the world at large doesn't care.

If I had a point, I think I forgot it.  Anyway, I hope Serenity makes/made money.  But I don't care, really.

*I made a tape of particularly offensive shows and sent it to churches.  No lie.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Ben-San on October 24, 2005, 07:20:33 pm
Quote from: "Lister"
I was (and to some extent, am) a MSTie.  I seriously loved me some Mystery Science Theater 3000.  I ran up huge bills on AOL (2400bps!) chatting with other MSTies.  I joined the fan club.  I bought T-shirts.  I volunteered at the convention.


Did you write Mystery Science Theater fanfiction?


(I did.)
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Lister on October 24, 2005, 07:39:14 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Did you write Mystery Science Theater fanfiction?


No, but I participated in "live MSTings," where a bunch of us would watch a broadcast of a movie and make fun of it in a chatroom.  Roadhouse was epic.

But back on topic: In entertainment/arts, it seems that the depth to which a particular work affects people is often inversely proportional to the number of people who are affected at all.  It's almost like something has to be obscure to be appreciated.

Maybe the interweb will eventually make life so awesome that a small group of deeply-affected fans can support creative ventures that are currently too expensive to self-produce.  Or maybe everyone will be innoculated with the "I blindly love pop" virus and it won't be an issue any more...
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: V-Adore on October 24, 2005, 08:07:27 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "Lister"
I was (and to some extent, am) a MSTie.  I seriously loved me some Mystery Science Theater 3000.  I ran up huge bills on AOL (2400bps!) chatting with other MSTies.  I joined the fan club.  I bought T-shirts.  I volunteered at the convention.


Did you write Mystery Science Theater fanfiction?


(I did.)

Man, I wrote MST3K fanfiction and shared it with my mom. (She was nonplussed.)
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Bozack on October 24, 2005, 10:56:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "Lister"
I was (and to some extent, am) a MSTie.  I seriously loved me some Mystery Science Theater 3000.  I ran up huge bills on AOL (2400bps!) chatting with other MSTies.  I joined the fan club.  I bought T-shirts.  I volunteered at the convention.


Did you write Mystery Science Theater fanfiction?


(I did.)

Man, I wrote MST3K fanfiction and shared it with my mom. (She was nonplussed.)


Whoaaa! Not too much sharing, guys- this isn't an EST meeting.

I've seen every episode that's ever been released on DVD or VHS. I own the book.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: wombat on October 25, 2005, 12:12:29 am
Wait a minute, what would this fan fiction consist of?  You wrote dialogue making fun of movies?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Ben-San on October 25, 2005, 12:36:41 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Wait a minute, what would this fan fiction consist of?  You wrote dialogue making fun of movies?


The way one writes MST3K fanfiction is to find humorously bad online fiction/fanfiction, USENET posts, or spam, and use that in place of the movie.

Most MST3K fanfiction is not very funny but that did not stop me.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 25, 2005, 12:53:44 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "Lister"
I was (and to some extent, am) a MSTie.  I seriously loved me some Mystery Science Theater 3000.  I ran up huge bills on AOL (2400bps!) chatting with other MSTies.  I joined the fan club.  I bought T-shirts.  I volunteered at the convention.


Did you write Mystery Science Theater fanfiction?


(I did.)

Man, I wrote MST3K fanfiction and shared it with my mom. (She was nonplussed.)


Whoaaa! Not too much sharing, guys- this isn't an EST meeting.

I've seen every episode that's ever been released on
DVD or VHS. I own the book.


Pfft. I have every episode. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: wombat on October 25, 2005, 01:08:46 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Quote from: "wombat"
Wait a minute, what would this fan fiction consist of?  You wrote dialogue making fun of movies?


The way one writes MST3K fanfiction is to find humorously bad online fiction/fanfiction, USENET posts, or spam, and use that in place of the movie.



Oooohhhhh.  That's very, um, meta-something or other.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: pmcd9 on October 25, 2005, 01:22:20 am
I'd never heard of Farscape before this thread, but then last last night while spinning the dial looking for something, anything, I happened upon it.  Man what a steaming pile that was.

~Paul
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Mantonio on October 25, 2005, 01:39:15 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'd never heard of Farscape before this thread, but then last last night while spinning the dial looking for something, anything, I happened upon it.  Man what a steaming pile that was.

~Paul


FWIW, I've heard it reffered to as Fartscape before. Having never seen it, I don't know if that is a well earned nickname or not.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2005, 02:44:23 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'd never heard of Farscape before this thread, but then last last night while spinning the dial looking for something, anything, I happened upon it.  Man what a steaming pile that was.

You clearly didn't see a Scorpius episode.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Bozack on October 25, 2005, 03:24:36 am
Can I confess something here?

I fuck*ng love Stargate. I love that show so damn much. There's all of these seasonal plot arcs, and they NEVER MATTER, because whenever you turn the show on, some guys with shaved heads wearing peasant garb are fighting McGuyver.

Also, Law & Order. And Law & Order: SVU. I haven't seen "Criminal Intent."

CSI is beneath comment.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: AugustWest on October 25, 2005, 03:49:29 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I fuck*ng love Stargate. I love that show so damn much. There's all of these seasonal plot arcs, and they NEVER MATTER, because whenever you turn the show on, some guys with shaved heads wearing peasant garb are fighting McGuyver.


Wow.  

I will confess that I have seen a few episodes of Stargate.  It comes on Sunday afternoon here and I've caught it a few times on the kitchen TV (no satellite) while I'm cooking something.   When faced with the choice between Stargate, an infomercial and a golf tournament, Stargate won.

Bozack, you pretty much summed up the random episodes that I've seen.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: jough on October 25, 2005, 05:10:16 am
Yeah, the Stargate movie was shite but the TV show rocks. Actually, it used to rock.  This current season was really painfully bad.

The Battlestar Galactica series (the new one) is really good, though.  I mean, I wish someone would maybe crack a smile once in a while (the show's kinda morose) but overall it's very compelling, and not at all like the kitchy Star Wars rip-off from whence it spawned.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: Doc on October 25, 2005, 06:54:22 am
I am reasonably into firefly (saw the movie, borrowed the eps of a friend, working my way through them in between assignments) but I think one of the biggest reasons for rabidness was that the show got pretty shafted on it's initial broadcast so people have this thing in their head of how it would have been if treated right. Which might be true, but it doesn't help anything.

As someone who is in australia and anxiously waiting the shows you guys take for granted could I get some feedback on new series of lost and battlestar galactica? Those two shows were the first time in ages that I've actually watched something week to week (as opposed to seeing it once saying I should watch it and then forgetting or borrowing entire series from my friend mr internet) and I am longing for them to come back but I fear that (especially for lost) it might turn out their plot arcs aren't really going anywhere.
I've got this horrible vision in my head where Lost ends up being like the X-Files, did anyone else even watch the last episode of the X-files? Jesus.

RE: Farscape, I never got to see as much as I'd like but Paul I think you might be deserving of your place on Imperator's list for such bold comments. Even in the later series when it got pretty dodgy it was still fun. Plus scantily clad blue chick.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: slink on October 25, 2005, 12:05:44 pm
Quote from: "Doc"

I've got this horrible vision in my head where Lost ends up being like the X-Files, did anyone else even watch the last episode of the X-files? Jesus.


Somehow I half-saw the last episode I think. It looked like utter shite, but then I had stopped watching the X-Files (except for the odd episode in the middle series' that were supposed to be good) by the end of season 3.

The new series of Lost, easily attainable from teh interweb, I am enjoying more than the first.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2005, 01:19:15 pm
I think the best part about Stargate is that in their universe nobody but us ever invented gunpowder. So all the other people they meet went straight from bow and arrow to plasma rifle and are thus dumfounded when bullets penetrate their energy shields.

On the newest season the play between Ben Browder and Claudia Black has really been the only part worth watching.

SG: Atlantis I find way lame. I have to watch it because the SO likes it, but I find it boring to sit through.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: arkabee on October 25, 2005, 01:41:45 pm
i thought the early farscape was a pretty fun show to watch, but then it got pretty serious and wasn't so fun to watch.

but then i never really watched it regularly, and caught most of the episodes i'd seen after the fact and mostly out of order.

it was very pretty to look at as well.
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: slink on October 25, 2005, 02:04:38 pm
I caught an episode of Atlantis the other night, and... Oh my. It was dreadful. I mean, it struck me as unwatchably dreadful. Bad writing, bad effects, bad acting...
What's the draw?
Title: Really Entertaining TV
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2005, 02:59:44 pm
Any show that wraps up it's final season with shows called the We're So Screwed Trilogy* can't be all bad.


*Yes, I'm aware that Bad Timing was the last-last episode but the trilogy was next-to-last.