The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Beatrice on October 20, 2005, 11:52:41 pm

Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Beatrice on October 20, 2005, 11:52:41 pm
I am a nineteen year old female low on cash but creatively able and in need of costume ideas for Halloween OH! FIVE!  I can sew and I can go to thrift stores but I already dressed up for a zombie movie last month so that's my back-up plan since i've got the dress and the makeup and the blood all right.  

What are you kids going to be?  Or what are your kids going to be?

Let's talk about it, and maybe an idea will spark for me.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: V-Adore on October 21, 2005, 12:11:52 am
I heard a joke recently about zombie Eskimos having sixty words for BRAAAAAAAINS, so I've decided that, if I do a costume this year, I'll be a zombie Eskimo.

This is especially ironic given that I probably will not wear said costume anywhere except my Neuroscience seminar.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: jough on October 21, 2005, 12:25:35 am
I'm going to be a surly convergence technology consultant with a thick patina of cynicism.

Oh. You meant for Halloween.

Alas, I'm an adult, so no more trick or treating for me.

I will be giving out the best damn candy on the block, though.  Totally got Snickers bars and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Butterfingers up in this piece.

I keep meaning to order full sized candy bars way ahead of time, but one of these years I'm going to give out those big movie-theatre-sized Hershey bars to kids.

I only get a few dozen trick and/or treaters each year anyway.

Oh, and I will be watching the car from the window so that I can turn on a water hose and soak anyone who comes near my yard on Mischief Night.

I also will have a large supply of Maple Syrup Balloons (they're like water balloons, only filled with Maple Syrup).
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: V-Adore on October 21, 2005, 02:47:23 am
Oh, man, it's great buying the really good candy. It works out either way: if kids come by, you're the Halloween Hero because you're not handing out weird individually-packaged soy nuts, and if they don't come by, delicious miniature candy for you.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: sjlimmer on October 21, 2005, 03:32:22 am
I always try to convince myself to borrow stuff from the lab, so as to dress up as a slightly more mad scientist than I actually am.  But I never do, so this year it's likely to be the walking dead again (I'm getting quite good at the bullet hole in my forehead, if I do say so myself).

Then again, I feel pretty sad dressing up if I don't go out, so maybe I'll just watch movies and die a little inside, instead.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Choop on October 21, 2005, 05:22:33 am
The wife and I are cow-boy and Indian. I'll post a picture after.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: misterqueue on October 21, 2005, 10:22:39 am
Julius Caesar

In homage to the to the first time I did it (http://www.misterqueue.com/caesar.jpg).
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Golfhaus on October 21, 2005, 11:52:19 am
I haven't dressed up for Halloween since I was about 11. The closest I've come was a Halloween party a few days after the fact, that was the cause of my first ever drunken experience (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1323&start=0). I've never really gotten into Halloween as a post-kid; since I bought my condo, I've always managed to work Halloween night, so I don't even know if kids show up around here.

Sara managed to trick me by buying Halloween candy in anticipation of the date. I asked why she was buying it on 15 September, and she said, "So we have it ready in case the stores start running out of good stuff." Well, now WE'RE running out of good stuff because she's eaten it all.

I am ALL ABOUT candy shopping on 1 November, however.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Imperator Severn on October 21, 2005, 12:48:11 pm
I'm going to be. . .  studying.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bozack on October 21, 2005, 04:35:34 pm
Jesus, you people are awful. Is fun not allowed here?
I resolutely dress up every year, in costumes which are invariably last-minute and ill-planned. I've decided this year to just buy a creepy animal mask and wear it to the Mountain Goats concert. I'm getting the mask today, so I can wear it to a party that my lady is taking me to, which she has referred to only as a "lesbian party." I'll post a picture.*


*of my mask, not of the lesbian party. But if the lesbian party gets really interesting, then, yes, I might take pictures of that too.
Title: Re: Trick or Treat?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2005, 06:00:12 pm
Quote from: "Beatrice"
Let's talk about it, and maybe an idea will spark for me.

I hate to be the one who has to tell you this, but if you don't dress up as an Achewood character you are wasting everyones time.  My suggestion, Philippe.

~Paul
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: CortJstr on October 21, 2005, 06:02:41 pm
Last year I made my costume entirely out of things I found around the house at 8am despite the fact that I should leave for work at 7:50. I went as the Chainsaw Vigilante. I made the mask at work.
Title: Re: Trick or Treat?
Post by: misterqueue on October 21, 2005, 06:02:57 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Beatrice"
Let's talk about it, and maybe an idea will spark for me.

I hate to be the one who has to tell you this, but if you don't dress up as an Achewood character you are wasting everyones time.  My suggestion, Philippe.

~Paul


Oh yes!!  And picsplsthx!   Actually if anyone dresses up as an Achewood character (yes.. even a be-thonged ray), picsplskthx!
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Golfhaus on October 21, 2005, 06:08:02 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Jesus, you people are awful. Is fun not allowed here?


My fun is found at the bottom of a square bottle with a black label and Lem Motlow's name all over it.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: V-Adore on October 22, 2005, 12:51:25 am
I considered being Molly-in-heaven two years ago, but I wasn't able to get it together. (Ideally it would be a ridiculously low-effort costume: white robe, angel wings, and cat ears.)
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bozack on October 22, 2005, 06:48:28 am
Plans have changed, due to lack of masks. I am now the White Rabbit, which means that I bought a horrifying rabbit mask today and own a pocket watch.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: side_show on October 22, 2005, 05:07:23 pm
Bea,

Being a theatre person I have seen many, many a wonderful costume.

Most successful costume at a large party?  Waldo.  All night people will have a hoot looking for you in the crowd, and you can wear a costume that is comfortable.  It's simple enough - knitted hat, red and white striped shirt, Harry Potter plastic glasses, walking stick, etc.

Best costume I ever made for myself?  Jesus.  Yep.  I was Jesus for Halloween at a goth club party.  I had a bloody crown of thorns made of dried willows and toothpicks, wrist stigmata action, I gave myself stubble with a stipple make-up sponge, and I wore Birkenstocks and a robe made out of cheap old burlap.  It was the best costume because of the reaction I got.  Everyone wants to be Jesus' buddy - they buy you drinks, make water-wine jokes, they hug you.  It was good.  Everyone was saying "Hey Jesus!" all night, and since most people didn't recognise me, even people who I didn't usually get along with wanted to be my buddy.  I have a clear memory of standing around with total strangers, someone gleefully exclaiming "I'm smoking weed with Jesus!"  Later that night in the bathroom someone exclaimed "Jesus pees sitting down!"  Also a goth intentionaly bumped into me, and said something to the effect "Sorry, I couldn't see you, since I don't believe in you." There were two Hunter S.  Thompson's - both strangers - that night and each of them helped me become more and more intoxicated.  It was a good night all 'round.

As for you, it depends what you're doing - are you going out to a par-tay?  What sort of party?  I always think function is as important as presentation.  You'll never fail if you go as a famous movie fictional character that people have said you resemble.  I once was Hester Pryne - I wore a bonnet, black dress and a large scarlet "A" on my chest - a nice comphy costume for the dance floor, easy costume to make, but also a clear and sort of sexy message.

Last year I was Kelly Osbourne, cause in an unrelated to a halloween event, my hairdresser gave me a mohawk a few days prior, and I didn't really have time to shop. Wost people just though I was just being more cool and fashionable than usual, so it was sort of a failure.  This year, I don't know.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: andalucia on October 22, 2005, 06:05:24 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Most successful costume at a large party?  Waldo.  All night people will have a hoot looking for you in the crowd, and you can wear a costume that is comfortable.  It's simple enough - knitted hat, red and white striped shirt, Harry Potter plastic glasses, walking stick, etc.


Dude.  Last year my boyfriend was Waldo for Hallowe'en, and we thought it was real clever, until he ran into ANOTHER Waldo when we were on the metro to the party.  It was pretty awkward, and also not unlike the inevitable Spot Waldo in the World of Men Who Look More or  Less Like Him puzzles those books always contained.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: V-Adore on October 22, 2005, 07:22:43 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "side_show"
Most successful costume at a large party?  Waldo.  All night people will have a hoot looking for you in the crowd, and you can wear a costume that is comfortable.  It's simple enough - knitted hat, red and white striped shirt, Harry Potter plastic glasses, walking stick, etc.


Dude.  Last year my boyfriend was Waldo for Hallowe'en, and we thought it was real clever, until he ran into ANOTHER Waldo when we were on the metro to the party.  It was pretty awkward, and also not unlike the inevitable Spot Waldo in the World of Men Who Look More or  Less Like Him puzzles those books always contained.

See, I'm sorry, but I find this kind of great. If I had costumed as Waldo and found another Waldo, I would have spent the whole night coordinating being as far from them as possible, and maybe coordinating occasionally taking off accessories so as to be the Guy Who Looks Like Waldo But Is Missing A Hat, Ha Ha, You Hosers who was so eternally popular in the books.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Gimpson on October 22, 2005, 11:31:40 pm
A brownie (http://www.gimpysoft.com/mtblog/archives/001982.html#001982).  I'll actually have a wig for tonight's costume party.  I feel like I let the rest of the troop down not wearing one last Saturday.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: antioch on October 23, 2005, 06:38:20 am
That is a devastating brownie costume.
 This year I'm going to attend parties in my normal clothes. When I indroduce myself to people, I'll tell them my name (Chris), but that they should call me "Steve", because that's my costume. So when they're like, "hey, chris!" I'm going to get all uppity, but also if they say "hey, steve!" (Not a bad costume idea either...) I'm going to get up in arms about "my costume not defining who I am." I'm actually not sure if this idea is creative and cute or if I'm a jerk.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: V-Adore on October 23, 2005, 08:06:02 am
Quote from: "antioch"
That is a devastating brownie costume.
 This year I'm going to attend parties in my normal clothes. When I indroduce myself to people, I'll tell them my name (Chris), but that they should call me "Steve", because that's my costume. So when they're like, "hey, chris!" I'm going to get all uppity, but also if they say "hey, steve!" (Not a bad costume idea either...) I'm going to get up in arms about "my costume not defining who I am." I'm actually not sure if this idea is creative and cute or if I'm a jerk.

I know a guy who is like this in everyday life, except that he answers to both names. (He apparently gave the wrong name at one point, as a joke, and ever since it's stuck to him.) My vote is that you're not necessarily a jerk as long as you go to the right parties.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: wombat on October 23, 2005, 03:10:15 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
That is a devastating brownie costume.
 


Quite startling if you expected a chocolate brownie.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: pmcd9 on October 23, 2005, 03:18:25 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "antioch"
That is a devastating brownie costume.
 


Quite startling if you expected a chocolate brownie.

This post demands I tell my favorite tired old joke.

Hey did you know I got thrown out of the Cub Scouts?

Oh really why is that?

I was caught eating a brownie.

Thank you.

~Paul
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Golfhaus on October 23, 2005, 10:23:02 pm
A classic, to be sure.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: misterqueue on October 24, 2005, 02:11:22 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "antioch"
That is a devastating brownie costume.
 


Quite startling if you expected a chocolate brownie.

This post demands I tell my favorite tired old joke.

Hey did you know I got thrown out of the Cub Scouts?

Oh really why is that?

I was caught eating a brownie.

Thank you.

~Paul


Sir that is truly the limit.  How is your mother? (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10092001)
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Beatrice on October 24, 2005, 06:47:01 pm
well i think perhaps i am going to be Green Eggs and Ham with my friend. Im thinking paper mache hats, one with eggs, the other the ham, on paper plates and red and white striped shirts (just cause that's associated in my mind with dr.suess via Cat in the Hat).  

Too dorky?

The jesus thing is awesome, but i want to do that combined costume so that'swhat i've got now.  

Also, brownie = awesome.  i've got my girl scout stuff, and was going to trash it but it's probably good for keeping for similar uses in the future.   LOL!


I say awesome too much.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Boring K on October 25, 2005, 08:02:51 pm
I and a bunch of my friends were going to do the Reservoir Dogs thing for Halloween.  I realize that it's probably trite everywhere else, but in the midwest it's still hip and original.  Except I don't think any of them are going to bother with it--hell, I haven't got a costume yet either.  But I think I might try to get it together from thrift stores over the next couple of days, and if I'm the only one who does it, I can say I'm sole survivor Mr. Pink.

Along similarly Tarantinesque lines, I also thought about going as George Clooney's character in From Dusk 'Til Dawn.  The main thing there would be drawing on the awesome tattoo George has in the movie.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: misterqueue on October 25, 2005, 08:44:07 pm
Being in the midwest myself I can say that this is still trite here.

But maybe that's only because I'm a pedant and want to point out that Mr. Pink does die, it's just offscreen.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Gimpson on October 25, 2005, 09:10:50 pm
Quote from: "misterqueue"
But maybe that's only because I'm a pedant and want to point out that Mr. Pink does die, it's just offscreen.


TAKE THAT BACK!!!  TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!!!
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bozack on October 25, 2005, 09:33:59 pm
He does? When? Actually, PM me the answer. Don't want spoilers.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: misterqueue on October 25, 2005, 10:36:41 pm
To both of you I say this, and I say it only once...

listen to the audio very closely when he runs out the door.... veeerrry closely...

listen to it like you're an obsessive fanboy as I was when I was younger...

then lo shall the truth be made whole.

(actually I probably should've just pm'ed.. my pm box is sadly empty; ALWAYS!)
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Boring K on October 27, 2005, 01:40:21 am
From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir_Dogs):
Quote
According to Quentin Tarantino, Mr. Pink survives but is arrested by the police - in the background, policemen can be heard ordering Pink to put his hands on the ground, then Pink says "I give up" after a brief firefight in which he is wounded but not killed.


From iMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105236/trivia):
Quote
According to Tarantino, Mr. Pink does in fact survive. You can verify this by increasing the volume of the background sounds: When Mr. Pink runs out of the building with the diamonds, police officers can be heard shouting at him to put his hands on the ground. Gunshots can be heard, then Mr. Pink shouts that he has been shot. You can then hear the officers talking to each other as Pink is arrested.


Your turn.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: side_show on October 27, 2005, 04:59:23 am
Wow, I always thought he was dead at the end - the really clear audio is the gunfire, so I just assumed that was him being shot...

Anyway, you know everyone will fight over who gets stuck being Mr. Brown.

Current event costume idea:  Go as a person with the avian bird flue - ice pack for your head, dark circles under your eyes, and a rubber chicken with some feathers glued to it either tied around your neck or tucked under your arm.

Another costume idea - for you and your friend as a team costume: go as Prussian Blue, Hitler-:) face shirts and all - if you like being beaten up and shunned that is.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Mantonio on October 27, 2005, 05:16:08 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Another costume idea - for you and your friend as a team costume: go as Prussian Blue, Hitler-:) face shirts and all - if you like being beaten up and shunned that is.


Beaten up indeed. That's like it's 2001 and you're dressed as bin Laden.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2005, 11:33:58 am
Quote from: "side_show"

Current event costume idea:  Go as a person with the avian bird flue - ice pack for your head, dark circles under your eyes, and a rubber chicken with some feathers glued to it either tied around your neck or tucked under your arm.



Oh yeah. You can't beat a costume with a rubber chicken.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 27, 2005, 06:00:47 pm
You can beat lots of things with a rubber chicken. Very effective if you fill it with buckshot or giraffeing sinkers.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bozack on October 27, 2005, 07:19:01 pm
God. I want to put a rubber chicken on a rope, hang it from my neck and go as the Rime of the Ancient Mariner guy.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2005, 07:37:57 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
You can beat lots of things with a rubber chicken. Very effective if you fill it with buckshot or giraffeing sinkers.


When I reread my post, my cursor hovered for a moment over the Edit button, but the urge to disambiguate the sentence instead of letting you all have at it seemed, well, petty and no fun.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: V-Adore on October 27, 2005, 07:45:10 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
God. I want to put a rubber chicken on a rope, hang it from my neck and go as the Rime of the Ancient Mariner guy.

This is a splendid idea. (I actually did something like this -- in preparation for being a grad student and wailing my woes at any undergraduates I can hunt down, I asked a friend of mine to create an albatross pendant to wear around my neck. It's very nice.)
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2005, 07:42:39 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Oh yeah. You can't beat a costume with a rubber chicken.


(http://www.bigfool.com/mascots/cosmo.jpg)
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 09:33:02 pm
(http://www.rhymes-with-witch.com/images/hentai800x600.gif)
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: antioch on October 30, 2005, 01:35:17 am
Dressing up as a concept is ice cold. The face on that octopus (not the kid's) is pretty hilarious.

I have finished concocting my costume of Jpop sensation Takanori Nishikawa. Basically this just externalizes my very real desire to be a jpop sensation.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 01, 2005, 04:02:33 am
(http://tinypic.com/f4o2dc.jpg)
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 01, 2005, 02:27:52 pm
I was all gonna post a picture of my adorable two-year-old as a ducky, but ain't no way I want her on the same page as THAT.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: antioch on November 01, 2005, 06:17:19 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
feast girl


 That's so beautiful.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bozack on November 01, 2005, 10:27:39 pm
Let me just say this.
Worst. Halloween. Ever.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 01, 2005, 11:25:45 pm
I take it you have no good stories or pictures from the Lesbian party?
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: arkabee on November 01, 2005, 11:38:13 pm
we had three groups show up for candy last night:
niece and nephew.
friend's child. bout 3 random children at the same time.
random little girl, adorable, "hwappyy wawoween!"

man, we had pop rocks and those candy rings and snickers.
kids don't know what they missed.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: miles on November 02, 2005, 01:27:13 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Let me just say this.
Worst. Halloween. Ever.


Yeah, fill us in.  My turned out to be much more sober than I wanted it to, but still pretty good.  I did see the Worse. Movie. Ever., though.  Well, not really.  I knew what to expect.  It's called Parts of the Family, and it was free.  I don't often lose my appetite during movies, but I did last night.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Golfhaus on November 02, 2005, 08:27:26 pm
I fell asleep for the night at 5; the SO woke me up about 8 to tell me how sad she was that no one showed up. Like, at all. We live in a condo complex and there are kids around, but the condos-offering-to-condos-not-offering ratio is so low as to not be worth the effort, and apparently the kids go elsewhere. It was kinda sad hearing Sara say, "I've never had a Halloween where I didn't get to see kids dressed up," but I was also a bit mad that all this time I've been volunteering to work Halloween night so I wasn't around when it was totally unnecessary.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2005, 08:36:13 pm
I live in a secured apt building and nobody who lives there has kids so it's safe to assume that my Halloween nights will remain unmolested. We usually have a very small amount of candy just in case but haven't needed it yet.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: slink on November 02, 2005, 11:42:06 pm
I just live miles from civilisation, so as to avoid kids showing up.
That said, when I lived in a city I didn't have anyone show up either, which was nice. Maybe I had a reputation...
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: side_show on November 03, 2005, 04:26:13 am
I work at a children's theatre, so, let's just say I saw many a kid-lin, many a costume.  My neighbourhood is very poor, so it was fairly depressing.  Lots of kids trick or treating without any costumes and stuff.  One time though, I opened the door and there was this ninja all crouched on the floor of my porch, then he just slowly extended his hand, and held it out til I figured out that I was to drop the candy in his palm.  That was cool.  Also a girl of around two years old dressed as a bloody bride, which was wonderfully twisted.

Since I have an ultra master key that opens every door in the entire building where I work, I stood in not one, but two professional costume rooms, overwhelmed by choice.  In the end, I went as "tired girl who hasn't changed out of her work clothes and needs a shower."  Major cop-out with all the options I had, but for me, if you didn't make your costume yourself you are a fraud, so, I just couldn't do it.  We rented the original Hitchcock Psycho, and it was very good to see it again, and made for excellent background music/sound as the wee ones rang our bell.  We had 49 kids, which is much lower than the usual - in our old neighbourhood of about 75 - so it was a little disapointing, and also, we have lots of candy and chocolate left.

At work yesterday, my boss and I ate so much candy that we came to a point where we communicated in giggles.  I had what can only be described as a candy hangover.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: Bozack on November 03, 2005, 07:06:57 am
Today, I saw my neighbor across the landing for three seconds, as he hurriedly ran into his apartment. I think he thought I was going to eat him. The first time I saw my next-door neighbor, last week, she asked if I was looking for someone. I informed her that I actually lived there. After three months or so, I have actually seen both of my neighbors just once. I know there's a Chinese guy who lives upstairs, as well as an old man who has that skin disorder where you're white, with patches of black. He lives with a tiny Latina woman. The entire floor below me is Hispanic and Catholic, judging by the bumper-stickers on their doors. There are little piles of bones in the stairwell, too, so I think there are some Santerians in the building.
On our floor, we're the only ones without some sort of religious icon- the people across the landing have the Jewish scroll-holder thing, and the people next door somehow managed to have the landlord paint a small crucifix onto their door. We were thinking of getting an "Ass, Cash or Grass: Nobody Rides For Free" bumper sticker, but then we got distracted.
Needless to say, we didn't get any trick-or-treaters.

And Halloween sucked for a number of reasons. I didn't get to see the Mountain Goats, which is a cryin' shame. And then some other stuff. Anyway, yeah. I don't think I've ever had a good Halloween.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: arkabee on November 03, 2005, 02:09:49 pm
we watched the exorcist.  i'd never seen it.
damn is that the slowest moving movie ever?

it was pretty disturbing, but (surpising to me) the "scary" part that has stayed with me is not the possession but the brain x-ray scenes.  that's some cold ass shit.  oh, and doctors.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2005, 03:49:20 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
One time though, I opened the door and there was this ninja all crouched on the floor of my porch, then he just slowly extended his hand, and held it out til I figured out that I was to drop the candy in his palm.


I had a totally lame Halloween, but reading this makes it all better.  Somebody somewhere on this great continent still has the true sprit of Halloween in his heart.  Thank you.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: slink on November 03, 2005, 07:33:58 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
we watched the exorcist.  i'd never seen it.
damn is that the slowest moving movie ever?

it was pretty disturbing, but (surpising to me) the "scary" part that has stayed with me is not the possession but the brain x-ray scenes.  that's some cold ass shit.  oh, and doctors.


True. And true.
There's a movie reviewer over here (Mark Kermode) who I most often really respect, only his all time favourite movie is The Exorcist. He spent a long time going on about how it should stop being banned and such.
I've never understood his stance on this. I found it to be not only not particularly scary, but incredibly tedious.
Oh well.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 03, 2005, 09:11:04 pm
Banned?

You guys ban movies over there?
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: slink on November 04, 2005, 08:38:46 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Banned?

You guys ban movies over there?


Not so much anymore. Exorcist was banned, Clockwork Orange was banned (because Kubrick asked for it to be), and a handful of others. But they stopped being banned about a decade ago.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: miles on November 04, 2005, 09:14:28 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Banned?

You guys ban movies over there?


Not so much anymore. Exorcist was banned, Clockwork Orange was banned (because Kubrick asked for it to be), and a handful of others. But they stopped being banned about a decade ago.


I guess I could search for an answer, but...

Why did Kubrick want it banned?

Anyway, I'm studying Bernard Williams, the late moral philosopher, for a class this semester.  Apparently he was involved in constructing obscenity laws for England in the late 70s (?).  But it seemed that the targeted material was porn, so I guess that the Exorcist ban wasn't related to these guidelines?  I guess I'm just thinking through my keyboard at this point, as I'm writing a paper for the class now, so no need to reply if you don't know what I'm talking about, Slink.

I think The Last Temptation of Christ was banned in Chile.  It was also banned by Blockbuster.  I liked the hippies in it.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: jough on November 04, 2005, 03:03:27 pm
I think it was due to copycat droogs attacking people.  Oh, those impressionable UK hooligans!

Because, you know, it is movies that cause violence.  Before the cinema the world was completely peaceful and no man ever struck another due to anger.
Title: Trick or Treat?
Post by: slink on November 05, 2005, 01:05:49 am
That's the reason that was often quoted, but it appears recently, also, that Kubrick was receiving death threats because of it, and asked for it to be banned. It would certainly explain why he wanted it banned over here, and got his way, but didn't attempt to stop it anywhere else.

The Hooligans are loose, the hooligans are loose