The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nationwide on October 25, 2005, 09:20:02 am

Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: nationwide on October 25, 2005, 09:20:02 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10252005

To my knowledge, this is exactly how a Lemony Snicket book reads.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: misterqueue on October 25, 2005, 10:38:45 am
Dog piddles on the carpet, closed captioning at 11!
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: V-Adore on October 25, 2005, 12:30:04 pm
Heh heh heh. Horrible things happening for no reason, indeed.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2005, 01:13:24 pm
Last week I heard a radio interview with that guy and he was fuck*ng annoying. He refused to answer to his real name, wouldn't actually answer any direct questions, and just kept going on about how nobody should buy his new book because it was so crushingly depressing that you'd never want to move again. It was one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: aparrish on October 25, 2005, 02:12:14 pm
Is that Mr. Bear's typewriter?  Looks more like his toaster melted.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Doc on October 25, 2005, 02:15:40 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Last week I heard a radio interview with that guy and he was fuck*ng annoying. He refused to answer to his real name, wouldn't actually answer any direct questions, and just kept going on about how nobody should buy his new book because it was so crushingly depressing that you'd never want to move again. It was one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.


That does sound like a terrible interview but I have to say when I was like, 12 I would have eaten that shit up. So I guess you have to give him credit for playing to his audience, whether playing to his audience was appropriate in context or not is another matter.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: arkabee on October 25, 2005, 03:50:04 pm
haha, poor mr. bear putting up with his agent.

i vote this the best mr. bear having to write for profit rather than fun comic since the last one!
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Roger on October 25, 2005, 04:08:51 pm
"Judge the audience, not the author"
I wonder if Onstad feels the same way about his strip. Which means, about us.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: mrchee on October 25, 2005, 08:51:46 pm
I am fairly certain the correct spelling is "micturition," not "micturation."  Other than that, awesome strip
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Noah on October 25, 2005, 08:56:39 pm
yah but "micturation" still makes more sense
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: V-Adore on October 25, 2005, 09:01:19 pm
Quote from: "Roger"
"Judge the audience, not the author"
I wonder if Onstad feels the same way about his strip. Which means, about us.

Eh, my suspicion is no. I think "judge the audience, not the author" here refers fairly specifically to the context in which Mr. Bear writes his novels -- that is, a context in which perceived audience demand forces writers to write things about which they are not inspired, just to please the crowds. If there's one thing Onstad's proven again and again, it's that he doesn't care particularly much about demand from us, T-shirt market aside.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Golfhaus on October 26, 2005, 12:33:07 am
HOORAY FOR MR. BEAR.

So wait, Lemony Snicket is a real person? Clearly, I haven't been keeping up.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: JordanB on October 26, 2005, 12:49:30 am
I was skeptical of this strip at first,
as it seems fairly derivative of this one (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04262004),
but I guess it's not so bad.

Still, if I had read that book as a child,
it would have given me nightmares.
Today I'd have put it down after two pages.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: MattFish on October 26, 2005, 01:08:06 am
I don't like reading about horrible things happening for no reason! I can never really put my finger on why. It just bugs me deep down inside.

However, the strip is still funny. The story is a good kind of ridiculous. Cornelius has a way with words.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: V-Adore on October 26, 2005, 01:12:35 am
Quote from: "Mattgiraffe"
I don't like reading about horrible things happening for no reason! I can never really put my finger on why. It just bugs me deep down inside.

Because it's stupid and pointless?

(I have found myself looking at stupid, pointless things lately as education -- "see, this is how not to write a fight scene!" -- but I would not recommend it in general.)
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Bozack on October 26, 2005, 01:37:29 am
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: arkabee on October 26, 2005, 01:41:41 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


i react similarly.  do not watch the ben stiller / drew barrymore movie where they buy a house.  ben stiller goes through a series of painfully contrived situations where in he gets fucked time and time again.

i think that life is full of enough horrible things happening for no apparent reason that when i watch television i want to be presented with reasons.

the reason, in the ben stiller movie, when presented at the end, was presented poorly and rather pissed me off.

hopefully tomorow night's new America's Next top model will offer me reasons for horrible things happening.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: pmcd9 on October 26, 2005, 01:52:44 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Last week I heard a radio interview with that guy and he was fuck*ng annoying. He refused to answer to his real name, wouldn't actually answer any direct questions, and just kept going on about how nobody should buy his new book because it was so crushingly depressing that you'd never want to move again. It was one of the worst interviews I've ever heard.

I heard an interview with this guy just before (or after) his movie came out.  Apparently at some point in the past he said he "never wanted to have his books made into a movie because they would probably get someone awful like Jim Carrey to star in it" (or something like that).  He's now of the opinion that Jim Carrey shits french toast and pisses maple syrup (or something like that).

~Paul
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: V-Adore on October 26, 2005, 01:58:04 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


i react similarly.  do not watch the ben stiller / drew barrymore movie where they buy a house.  ben stiller goes through a series of painfully contrived situations where in he gets fucked time and time again.

Absolutely agreed here. I can't really watch sitcoms because I just don't find them particularly funny, just flinch-worthy.

Quote
hopefully tomorow night's new America's Next top model will offer me reasons for horrible things happening.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that show.
Schadenfreude ahoy.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: CortJstr on October 26, 2005, 02:18:35 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "arkabee"
hopefully tomorow night's new America's Next top model will offer me reasons for horrible things happening.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes that show.
Schadenfreude ahoy.

'Top Model Week' on UPN

America's Next Top Model has been UPN's highest-rated show for much of the last couple of seasons. Now, the network is hoping that the show's past partici##### will have coattails.

The week of Nov. 7 - the first full week of sweeps - will be "Top Model Week": Past or current contestants will appear on UPN shows - even Friday Night SmackDown! - each night.

In fact, only a music special honoring Patti LaBelle on Nov. 8 and Everybody Hates Chris (the only UPN show doing better than Model this fall) on Nov. 10 will be model-free.

For example, Monday comedies will all feature guest appearances by past contestants on Nov. 7. Season three's Norelle Van Herk will pop up on One on One, followed by Mercedes Yvette on All of Us, Toccara Jones on Girlfriends, and Keenyah Hill on Half & Half.

The week will end with season four's Michelle Deighton, an aspiring pro wrestler, on SmackDown!
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Bozack on October 26, 2005, 02:37:40 am
By 3 pm, I have discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the world instead.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: jough on October 26, 2005, 05:19:54 am
Is it wrong of me to scroll down and only read the posts by certain people whose writing here I enjoy?

Anyway, yeah, this strip.  Is "shrug" a word?
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: nationwide on October 26, 2005, 10:01:49 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
He refused to answer to his real name...


It's Daniel Handler, erstwhile Magnetic Field member. Weird that he'd be such a diva on the radio.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Emergent_C on October 26, 2005, 01:44:46 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the characters


I've experienced that sort of wincing feeling watching newbs get chased off of comic strip message boards.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: aparrish on October 26, 2005, 02:00:40 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
i react similarly.  do not watch the ben stiller / drew barrymore movie where they buy a house.  ben stiller goes through a series of painfully contrived situations where in he gets fucked time and time again.


I think pretty much all Ben Stiller movies are like this (There's Something About Mary, Meet the Parents, Along Came Polly, even The Royal Tenenbaums to some extent).  What this says about his internal psychology I'll leave up to you.

I have never had a more thorough and shocking occasion to question the direction of my life than when I recently found myself in a Connecticut living room watching Meet The Fockers on pirated DVD.  Witnessing Robert DeNiro ask Ben Stiller to touch his artificial breast (of COURSE someone's going to walk in on you two!) is a thing that one simply does not need in one's life.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: JordanB on October 27, 2005, 12:15:21 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


I agree with this as well. Does anyone else find it odd
that the majority of us are a bunch of softies
when it comes to Terrible Things happening to people,
and yet we all center around a comic strip
where a scene like this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07222005) is de rigueur?
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: V-Adore on October 27, 2005, 01:41:47 am
Quote from: "JordanB"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


I agree with this as well. Does anyone else find it odd
that the majority of us are a bunch of softies
when it comes to Terrible Things happening to people,
and yet we all center around a comic strip
where a scene like this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07222005) is de rigueur?

I didn't like that strip either. You know, just for the record.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: Mantonio on October 27, 2005, 01:45:46 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "JordanB"
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed- I cannot sit through them. I empathize too strongly with the charaters- I couldn't get past the first half hour of Happiness. When I'm reading a book, and someone is in a very uncomfortable situation, or setting themselves up for a fall, I have to take little 30 second breaks to calm down.


I agree with this as well. Does anyone else find it odd
that the majority of us are a bunch of softies
when it comes to Terrible Things happening to people,
and yet we all center around a comic strip
where a scene like this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07222005) is de rigueur?

I didn't like that strip either. You know, just for the record.


My favorite misfortune strips involve bad things happening to Philippe.
Title: 10/25/05: I'll be in the oven.
Post by: EgoSumNoah on October 28, 2005, 02:39:16 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I can't watch movies where uncomfortable situations are portrayed

As a child I couldn't watch Road Runner or Trix commercials. But as a somewhat bigger and braver child, I now find the torture of cookie-cutter-cliched-British-child-characters altogether amusing. Which is why I liked this strip.