The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on October 25, 2005, 01:48:46 pm
-
So what the hell do their radio stations begin with? (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/25/turk.letters.reut/index.html)
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey (Reuters) -- A Turkish court has fined 20 people for using the letters Q and W on placards at a Kurdish new year celebration, under a law that bans use of characters not in the Turkish alphabet, rights campaigners said.
-
I refused to be banned from the Turkish Delights!
Let my Q flag fly!
-
Man, why'd they have to do a thing?
I just can't understand the logic behind this one, I mean if it was some sort of official document but it says they were banners for new years eve, what if they just kind of do a squiggle and it ends up like a q?
What about kids who get their p's and m's wrong?
Also I hate to be the guy who brings out 1984 in every discussion on politics but it did give me a kind of creepy 'Everything must be written in newspeak therefore you can only express ideas approved of by newspeak' vibe.
Although if anyone wants to build an evil government whose only weakness is q and w please go ahead, that would be pretty cool.
-
This reminds me of the grocer in England a few years ago who was fined for selling produce in pounds and ounces.
-
So what the hell do their radio stations begin with? (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/25/turk.letters.reut/index.html)
Dude, have you not been west of the Mississippi?
-
So what the hell do their radio stations begin with? (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/10/25/turk.letters.reut/index.html)
i'd assume morning dj shows making bad jokes and occasionaly prank calling unsuspecting people who end up chuckling at the whole affair.
-
Is Turkey west of the Missisippi? I guess if you go far enough.
-
Is Turkey west of the Missisippi? I guess if you go far enough.
Exactly.
-
What's funny is that "turquoise" originally comes from a french term for "stone of the turks". That's right, the turks can't spell the name of their own stone.
-
I think the Turks just hate these two for different but obvious reasons.
(http://www.planetmzone.de/bushi05.jpg)
(http://www.grudge-match.com/Images/q.gif)
wow i just noticed that this hasn't been touched since the 25th of october...my bad.
-
no one's touchin' it! must be drrty!