The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on October 25, 2005, 02:50:55 pm

Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 25, 2005, 02:50:55 pm
a.k.a. a genetic disorder that keeps you an infant even when you're twelve years old. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9778227/)
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: misterqueue on October 25, 2005, 02:55:42 pm
I was gonna say this reminded me of a girl I used to date, but she was regular sized and of legal age.  Turned out she was an infant though... on the inside.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: andalucia on October 25, 2005, 03:30:58 pm
Quote from: "Um, this isn't really all that funny"

"There was a point there where they prepared us for her to die and that’s happened actually several times," says Howard.

"When you have to go to the funeral home and pick out a casket, or go to the store and pick out the last outfit… it’s like a rollercoaster ride, mentally and physically," says Melanie.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: V-Adore on October 25, 2005, 03:37:42 pm
This is actually entirely non-funny. Strange, disturbing, and fascinating, but not even remotely funny.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: miles on October 25, 2005, 03:38:03 pm
The saddest thing.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: arkabee on October 25, 2005, 03:48:53 pm
so this story is a representation of the point beyond which laughter does not hold back tears?

i haven't read the link, nor will i, since i don't think i could take it.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: robot_roll_call on October 25, 2005, 03:57:13 pm
This kind of reminds me of some thing I saw about some guy with a skin disorder on the Learning Channel. They did a documentary about him preparing for death and started it off with him being dead, but they had him posthumously narrate "That's me in the box there! Let me tell you how I got here!" Just creeped the hell out of me.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: misterqueue on October 25, 2005, 04:01:49 pm
Reminded me of this (http://www.feralchildren.com/en/showchild.php?ch=sullivan) actually, even though that was caused by malnourishment.

Also, per your documentary memories, it kind of reminds me of this (http://imdb.com/title/tt0120126/), which is surprisingly more endearing and heart-wrenching than it sounds.


There.. I'm not a complete asshole okay?  Okay?!
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 25, 2005, 06:38:13 pm
Wow, now that is a very unusual story. Nothing wrong chomosomally, no detectable underlying medical condition. Weird and sad.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: aparrish on October 25, 2005, 10:25:22 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Wow, now that is a very unusual story. Nothing wrong chomosomally, no detectable underlying medical condition. Weird and sad.


Does anyone know if there's anything in the medical research literature about this girl?  It would seem sort of unusual if there weren't.  I searched for "Brooke Greenberg" on Google Scholar, which about exhausts my, uh, medical research literature search-foo.  I have to assume that either the MSNBC reporter didn't bother to talk with the specialists that the Greenbergs saw, or the family requested that she not publish these details because of privacy concerns.

I watched an interview with the parents (from a different site, I can't recall which one) and I'm amazed at how they've managed to take Brooke's unusual condition in stride.  Brave people, interesting story.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: Doc on October 26, 2005, 03:25:56 am
I tried searching a couple of databases for her name as well as the pediatricians but didn't come up with anything.
Strange that there wouldn't be anything out there, but then maybe it's becaues they just haven't found anything.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 26, 2005, 03:43:21 am
Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Wow, now that is a very unusual story. Nothing wrong chomosomally, no detectable underlying medical condition. Weird and sad.


Does anyone know if there's anything in the medical research literature about this girl?  It would seem sort of unusual if there weren't.  I searched for "Brooke Greenberg" on Google Scholar, which about exhausts my, uh, medical research literature search-foo.  I have to assume that either the MSNBC reporter didn't bother to talk with the specialists that the Greenbergs saw, or the family requested that she not publish these details because of privacy concerns.

I watched an interview with the parents (from a different site, I can't recall which one) and I'm amazed at how they've managed to take Brooke's unusual condition in stride.  Brave people, interesting story.



Well, it's probably easy to deal with for the *parents* , inasmuch as (I am not being glib or kidding) it is like owning a pet; having something which remains at a low fixed developmental level for a number of years. I think the melancholia results from sadness for the "baby", which will never enjoy sentience and adulthood. Missed potential and all.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: V-Adore on October 26, 2005, 03:46:12 am
I dunno, there has to be a certain amount of bravery even getting through the day-to-day, especially with the other children. I was particularly impressed with the younger sister; this can't be an even remotely easy situation for a nine-year-old to deal with, but she seemed very calm about it all.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 26, 2005, 03:51:32 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I dunno, there has to be a certain amount of bravery even getting through the day-to-day, especially with the other children. I was particularly impressed with the younger sister; this can't be an even remotely easy situation for a nine-year-old to deal with, but she seemed very calm about it all.


It's like being Lisa Simpson: Maggie's been a baby for over a decade.
Title: Dystopian Fountain of Youth
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 28, 2005, 06:57:42 pm
Oh, hell no it's not like a pet. Regardless of the emotions it has to be a ton of work for the parents. A perpetual six-month-old means always having to assist her with feeding, diaper changing, clothes changing, etc. etc.