The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 02:32:28 am

Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 02:32:28 am
I am absolutely not making this shit up: right here. (http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid22037.asp)

Quote

Actor George Takei, best known as Mr. Sulu on the classic TV series Star Trek, comes out of the closet in the new issue of Frontiers  . Or rather, as he tells editor Alexander Cho, "It's not really coming out, which suggests opening a door and stepping through. It's more like a long, long walk through what began as a narrow corridor that starts to widen." In the interview, the 68-year-old actor also discusses his childhood in a Japanese-American internment camp, his 18-year relationship, his siblings' inability to accept his homosexuality, and the upcoming Los Angeles production of Equus in which he stars.


Also, he was in an internment camp? Wow.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2005, 02:44:17 am
This is news?

I thought everyone knew he was gay. The Internment camp thing is interesting, but the gay thing? Is anyone surprised by that?
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2005, 02:55:22 am
The response from Star Trek fans seems to be "well, duh."

Also, he's been with his partner for 18 years. You have to assume someone noticed.

Nonetheless, good on him and his.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bozack on October 28, 2005, 03:13:38 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Also, he's been with his partner for 18 years. You have to assume someone noticed.


"Wow, every time I see Sulu, he's with that other fellow. They must be really good friends!"
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2005, 03:35:49 am
In the Navy
You can sail the seven seas

In the Navy
You can put your mind at ease

/Village People

What, they were on ships, right.  OK, starships, but ships.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2005, 07:56:50 am
And for Uhura and Nurse Chapel, you know, there are only 24 hours in a day, right? Something has to give somewhere.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: misterqueue on October 28, 2005, 12:33:53 pm
*Gets the proverbial "Beam Me Up, Scotty" joke out of the way before anyone else does*

Ah.. I feel better already.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 01:48:22 pm
Okay, now I'm kicking myself for not seeing this in advance:

(http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/28/people.georgetakei.ap/story.takei.ap.jpg)
If this were a baseball game with sperm instead of a ball, George Takei would be a very adequate catcher.

That's gayer than Jough in a pink shirt watching The View.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: jough on October 28, 2005, 04:45:38 pm
George Takei: Where Many Men Have Gone Before
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 05:08:16 pm
Quote from: "jough"
George Takei: Where Man Men Have Gone Before


man men?
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Golfhaus on October 28, 2005, 06:17:09 pm
I guess it's something only people in the culture know.

<furtive glance at Jough>
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 06:20:17 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I guess it's something only people in the culture know.

<furtive glance at Jough>


That might explains why he was so SOOPER SEKRIT about inviting us to go "tagging" with him.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: aparrish on October 28, 2005, 06:25:48 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "jough"
George Takei: Where Man Men Have Gone Before


man men?


Man men.  As opposed to Klingon men or Romulan men or Andorian men.  Although a gay Andorian foursome would be pretty awesome, if you're into that kind of thing.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 06:27:00 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "jough"
George Takei: Where Man Men Have Gone Before


man men?


Man men.  As opposed to Klingon men or Romulan men or Andorian men.  Although a gay Andorian foursome would be pretty awesome, if you're into that kind of thing.


I just had an image of an Andorian equivalent of goatse.cx -- with the antennae holding the mouth wide open.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2005, 06:49:47 pm
That avatar with that title: Awesome.

Keep fighting, warrior.

<><><><>

Reeeeal Men of Geeeenius

Mr Homosexual Cockrub Warrior....
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 06:58:36 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That avatar with that title: Awesome.

Keep fighting, warrior.

<><><><>

Reeeeal Men of Geeeenius

Mr Homosexual Cockrub Warrior....


Hi, I'm George Takei, and like most homosexual men, I find that anal sex can often be rough. Petroleum based products aren't safe for condoms, and water-based products like KY Jelly  are chunky and sticky.

That's why I present to you Sulubrication, the special silicone-based lubrication endorsed by me, George Takei. It's the anal lubricant of the future, and it will take you where no man has gone before!
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2005, 07:55:37 pm
You've also got WNBA MVP Sheryl Swoops (http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=2204322) coming out, probably the highest-profile active American pro athlete to do so.

I've been to one WNBA game, and a good chunk of the crowd sure looked like lesbians to me.  The league refuses to reach out to this community in any way, for fear of scaring the rest of the sporting fan public.  Hard for them to ignore it now.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2005, 08:00:07 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
You've also got WNBA MVP Sheryl Swoops (http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=2204322) coming out, probably the highest-profile active American pro athlete to do so.

I've been to one WNBA game, and a good chunk of the crowd sure looked like lesbians to me.  The league refuses to reach out to this community in any way, for fear of scaring the rest of the sporting fan public.  Hard for them to ignore it now.


Q. How are hardcore sports fans and Star Trekkies the same?

A. They are all gay.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: side_show on October 30, 2005, 04:46:49 pm
I'm sorry, but what about George Takei's voice - it's like, the best voice ever for a human.  

I just had to say that.

Anyway, watch the Futurama episode that he and the other Trek characters were in with the commentary on - Takei blows everyone else away - he must have done radio or something.

That guy's voice is awsome.

Also, there is a fairly large faction of gay trekkies and/or trekkers out there.  Here is a website that is indignant to the point of ridiculous about the lack of gay characters in Star Trek (http://www.webpan.com/dsinclair/trek.html).  All sorts of quotes from Roddenberry and other characters making promises to make Star Trek inclusive, that obviously fell through, and lots and lots of anger.  

Who ever made this site is super pissed.  I suppose I just don't get it because I don't care about Star Trek - to me it's just a TV show - and one that I hardly ever watched.  I suppose I do get that the show was supposed to be dipicting an ideal univese, and that by excluding gay characters that the implication is that gay characters don't fit into an ideal universe.  I can understand why that might be insulting, but still, it's just a TV show - and one that was in the height of it's creativity in the 60's.  Who needs boring old Star Trek when you've got the Cock Rub Warriors anyway?
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Doc on November 01, 2005, 03:59:58 am
What's he talking about anyway? I thought all the Klingons were gay, cockrub warriors of the future as it were.

On a related note, Scott Bakula has the best name in the universe.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 01, 2005, 04:06:17 am
Quote from: "Doc"
What's he talking about anyway? I thought all the Klingons were gay, cockrub warriors of the future as it were.

On a related note, Scott Bakula has the best name in the universe.


Wrong. The first president of Zimbabwe, prior to the genocidal maniac Robert Mugabe, was named Canaan Banana. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaan_Banana)
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Ben-San on November 01, 2005, 08:41:05 am
As far as awesome names go, I will always most favor former UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld and his father Hjalmar Hammarskjöld.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Doc on November 01, 2005, 01:04:59 pm
Banana is good but I don't know, I still like Bakula. It's like he'd fit right in with duckula and other dracula knock offs except instead of a duck he's... a baklava or something.

As for the UN guys, they just kind of sound too much like made up dwarf names.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Mantonio on November 01, 2005, 03:42:22 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
As far as awesome names go, I will always most favor former UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld and his father Hjalmar Hammarskjöld.


Speaking of former UN Secrataries-General, Boutros-Boutros Gali is a pretty sweet name.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: AugustWest on November 01, 2005, 04:02:57 pm
Let us not forget the enigmatic U Thant.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: V-Adore on November 01, 2005, 04:23:58 pm
On the subject of men named Hjalmar, I think my favorite name ever will remain that of one of the major Nazi higher-ups, a man sometimes called "Hitler's Magician": Hjalmar Horace Greeley Schacht. (Apparently his father was a big American-politics junkie.)
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: CortJstr on November 01, 2005, 05:26:11 pm
Baz de Baz

Dr. Baz de Baz
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bozack on November 01, 2005, 10:32:29 pm
Dr. Armand Hammer
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Lister on November 02, 2005, 07:48:20 am
I know an anaesthesiologist named Dr. Swaid Swaid.

That is all.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 03, 2005, 03:01:53 pm
http://members.aol.com/allthurl/thurl2.htm

THURL RAVENSCROFT

PWNED
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: Lister on November 03, 2005, 03:37:15 pm
I concede.  A dude who is named Thurl Ravenscroft and is also Tony the fuck*ng Tiger wins at life.

Except he's dead.


Crap.
Title: George Takei Comes Out Of The Closet
Post by: V-Adore on November 03, 2005, 04:30:30 pm
I dunno, I remember reading about a researcher named Dr. Lionel Tiger once. That, too, is an extremely hardcore name.

(A friend of mine in high school once did a speech in which she got to cite, several times, an academic named Norbert Wiener. That's also on my top ten list, I think.)