The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on August 29, 2003, 01:36:51 am

Title: More of the Dumbwaiter (08-28-03)
Post by: V-Adore on August 29, 2003, 01:36:51 am
Another lovely strip today. All I can really say about it at this juncture is that I feel sorry for Beef. So, so sorry.

Also, "his first sex havin'" is a really great phrase in general.

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08282003).
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: side_show on August 29, 2003, 01:58:34 am
wow, why was Ray so mean?  What a jerk!
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2003, 02:07:15 am
Hee Hee.  Another good one!

So, who do you think is in the elevator?  Obviously Beef, and I guess Lyle, but who's the third?  My guess is Todd because of the stutter.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 29, 2003, 02:13:47 am
August has it nailed, I think...unless that dumbwaiter is a bunch bigger, it seems like Lyle and Todd.

I like the "I would pretend I was a sack of garbage" line myself...says so much about Roast Beef in general...

That R-r-r-ules!
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: ferocious j on August 29, 2003, 02:20:52 am
Yeah, that's gotta be Todd.  Poor Beef, man.  He's been living in Ray's sexual shadow.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2003, 03:38:59 am
I also found it interesting that Ray seems to live in ancestral manse.  Dude grew up in the house with the dumbwaiter.

Also, I keep flashing on the Three Stooges short where Moe gets trapped in a dumbwaiter and keeps getting plummeted to the cellar.  Those malletheads!
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: pmcd9 on August 29, 2003, 03:54:59 am
The dumbwaiter is Beef's confessional.  Also, it is clear now that Ray is responsible for most of Beef's hang ups.  He's really fucked up his good friends head.

Oh yeah, great strip.

~Paul
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: V-Adore on August 29, 2003, 03:57:44 am
I don't really think it's too much of a surprise that Ray grew up in a great ancestral manse or that he appears to have had means even before "Ass In Your #####"; after all, he is worth 50 dollars.

Anyway... when is Beef going to learn that this friendship with Ray just isn't worth it? Will Lyle have to slap him around some to get him to listen?
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: AugustWest on August 29, 2003, 04:08:06 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
The dumbwaiter is Beef's confessional.  Also, it is clear now that Ray is responsible for most of Beef's hang ups.  He's really fucked up his good friends head.

Oh yeah, great strip.

~Paul


Yeah, it really seems to be a very complex relationship.  Because, even though I can't argue that Ray seems to have a high degree of culpability for Beef's neuroses, it is equally clear that Ray cares deeply for Beef (in a fraternal, buddy movie kinda way).  I don't think Ray maliciously fucked up Beef's psyche.  Beef's problems are like collateral damage from the force of Ray's personna explosion.

It's almost like they're not whole without each other.  Together they make a complete, functional cat.  On their own, they're each deeply flawed.

Could they really be brothers/half-brothers?  Ray could find out now that he has the time machine.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: Limmo on August 29, 2003, 04:54:04 am
I looove that Todd is the mystery character holding the flashlight.  Frikkin' awesome.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: starlight on August 29, 2003, 05:00:12 am
I like the whole reminiscin' aspect of it all.  reminds me of relationships I had with certain friends back in the day - nixing zee sex, of course :D
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: Nabubrush on August 29, 2003, 07:28:37 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
The dumbwaiter is Beef's confessional.  Also, it is clear now that Ray is responsible for most of Beef's hang ups.  He's really fucked up his good friends head.

Oh yeah, great strip.

~Paul


Yeah, it really seems to be a very complex relationship.  Because, even though I can't argue that Ray seems to have a high degree of culpability for Beef's neuroses, it is equally clear that Ray cares deeply for Beef (in a fraternal, buddy movie kinda way).  I don't think Ray maliciously fucked up Beef's psyche.  Beef's problems are like collateral damage from the force of Ray's personna explosion.

Come on, now - who didn't have someone hitting them in the head with a bat when they were a kid?
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: starlight on August 29, 2003, 09:42:50 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Come on, now - who didn't have someone hitting them in the head with a bat when they were a kid?


Proving a point -
I once hit this fat boy next door with a bat in sixth grade (not on purpose or in the head, but still) and I'm harmless!
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on August 29, 2003, 11:57:13 am
Would Mr. Bear be there also?
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: revdj on August 29, 2003, 12:08:58 pm
The strip has really gotten back into its groove lately, hasn't it?  It FEELS like achewood in a way that it hadn't for a bit.
Title: strip
Post by: satchel on August 29, 2003, 04:05:18 pm
I like these latest strips a lot. I agree that Ray’s abuse of Beef is just a side-product of their friendship.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: ferocious j on August 29, 2003, 06:16:11 pm
Why do you suppose Lyle keeps telling Todd to kill the light?  Are they just worried about being found by the cops?
Title: lite
Post by: satchel on August 29, 2003, 07:02:28 pm
I figured they were dousing the light because of police-inspired paranoia.
Title: Re: lite
Post by: slink on August 29, 2003, 07:04:35 pm
Quote from: "satchel"
I figured they were dousing the light because of police-inspired paranoia.


Either that or Lyle has alcahol induced nocturnalist tendencies predominantly based on major light sensitivity. Or maybe it's straight albinism and we've not realised it all along!
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: CortJstr on August 30, 2003, 04:00:20 pm
I vote that the light is only on at all to establish the scene for newcomers and "kill the light!" is therefore a MacGuffin.

And I think pretty much everybody is in there. "My heavens" sounds like Mr. Bear, the stutterer is Todd, "seeink" is obviously Vlad, and for some inexplicable reason I think "Whoah!" is Teador. Lyle could be killing the light.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2003, 04:14:04 pm
If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: slink on August 30, 2003, 06:16:59 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: jay-ell on August 30, 2003, 06:23:31 pm
I still say "KILL THE LIGHT" is Blister.  I think the "Whoa" was Lyle.  Hopefully, on Monday, all will be revealed.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2003, 06:44:38 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.

I thought that was unclear when I wrote it - I meant that, had it been three all black-panel comics, there might probably have been someone saying "we're getting ripped off."
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: slink on August 30, 2003, 07:31:13 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "slink"


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.

I thought that was unclear when I wrote it - I meant that, had it been three all black-panel comics, there might probably have been someone saying "we're getting ripped off."


Oh yea, I mean if it had I'd have been sat there wondering whether it was his new job and laziness making him draw, well, blackness and writing some text. Though even that thought probably would have passed me by slightly due to the quality of the writing that's been in it. If it had gone on as total blackness for another fortnight...
Unmessage board of me I know - but apologies if it came out a little terse, I'd just got up after about 3 hours sleep and was rather cranky!! Hadn't even had a cigarette in 10 hours, and that first one is mighty important!
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: jough on August 30, 2003, 08:37:37 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I still say "KILL THE LIGHT" is Blister.  I think the "Whoa" was Lyle.  Hopefully, on Monday, all will be revealed.


It's not Blister.  I know you think that because it's in all caps, but it wasn't in all caps in the first "In the dumbwaiter" strip.

So where's your Messiah now, beotch?
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 30, 2003, 10:14:28 pm
Another reason for the kill the light in each one is that I think you might want to have at least one expository frame for a first-time reader. Not only does it give the new reader a character to see but the insistent "kill the light" sort of sets a tone. A series of black panels with dialog would be a lot harder to fall into for someone brand new to the 'wood.

Or the other theories, too. Could be anything.

Everyone can't be in the dumbwaiter! I'm pretty sure Lyle is in there, Beef is obviously in there, Todd is stuttering away in there Vlad is beink there too and I like JLD's theory about Blister. And a bear, probably -
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2003, 05:23:27 pm
I like to think that Blister is incorporeal, and cannot hold the flashlight.
Title: 8/28: More of the Dumbwaiter
Post by: AugustWest on September 01, 2003, 05:09:49 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
If it weren't for "kill the light" we would have had three strips in a row that were just sequences of black panels. My suspicion is that someone might have commented on this. Isn't it cool, though, that with just the minimal artwork that is in these three strips, they are still especially good?


But, there's been a kill the light in each of the three... From the start...
So, why must someone have mentioned it when he's been doing it from the beginning.

I thought that was unclear when I wrote it - I meant that, had it been three all black-panel comics, there might probably have been someone saying "we're getting ripped off."


I think this is a good point.  That is, the unenlightened among us might holler if they we're all black-panels with dialog.  Personally, I think that we be kinda cool.  Because all of Achewood art is minimal, isn't it?  (see my sig).  That's kind of the beauty of Achewood -- the variety and depth of emotion Onstad's able to convey with drawings that are not very detailed.

And what does Onstad use as a vehicle?  Eyebrows.  90% of what changes from panel to panel is eyebrows.  Two tiny little lines.  Yet if they're just exactly right we instantly understand's Beef's humiliation or Ray's paternal amusement.  Lyle can say "Fuck You, I'm gettin' drunk" with just those two little marks.

It's a beautiful thing.