The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Skillator on November 03, 2005, 08:50:06 pm
-
I looked at the random question post and thought,
"gee... comicbooks need their own thread"
So here it is.
If you need to catch up on Infinite Crisis or Crisis on Infinite Earths or ANYTHING, this is the site for you:
http://www.moviepoopshoot.com/comics101/archives.html
This guy is NEVER wrong. He's truly amazing and I fully want him to make millions and millions of dollars for doing what he does. So please, by all means, read his articles and learn everything you can about anything comics.
Also, I was an Only Marvel Kid once too. Then Quesada took over... EUCH...
-
I remember being mocked in middle school because all the cool kids read Image. But I could never get into them. In fact to this day the Image book I've ever owned is Liberty Meadows.
-
Doesn't this belong in Arts & Entertainment?
Image mainly published sheer crap during the time they were popular, but a few good things have come out of there since then, frequently when Rob Liefeld told Alan Moore "please do anything you want with my characters and I will publish it for you".
-
I think it was the lure of MacFarlane plus just the fact that people assumed new=cool what with Marvel and DC being all old and stodgy. But I never really understood the appeal of the MacFarlane name. He's how we ended up with a red & black Spider-Man not to mention the cash-register-jaw version of Venom.
-
I have a few Image books - mainly the Bendis ones. Apart from that...
-
I have a rad collection of comics but I conveniently dodge the Image.
I did however love Bastard Samurai immensely. It is so pretty and it is samurai shit.
-
I've got pretty much everything Image put out for the first year or so they were in existance. Almost all of it is shite.
I read a little bit of DC back in the day, I read a little bit of everything more or less, but I would say I am (was) a Marvel only guy. I always found DC to be hella lame. Almost as lame as saying hella lame.
Before Marvel, when I was a little kid, I was heavily into Archie and Richie Rich. I found my way to Marvel via Howard the Duck of all places.
Image, along with the total ruin of Marvel (Peter Parker is a clone, the return of his dead parents, Maximum Carnage, etc.) pretty much ruined it for me.
I quit collecting all together for a while.
Then at about the same time I discovered Daniel Clowes, Peter Bagge (and some others) and Valiant comics. The alternatives were something new to me. I have always liked underground comics, but never really got into them until I started reading about Buddy Bradley. He's one fucked up dude, and I can sure relate to him. But I also fell in love with the Valiant universe. I collected virtually every comic they published. They were all intertwined so you just had to really. But all the characters were well written and the stories were top notch and the continuity was flawless. I felt renewed. These are some of the best comics ever, in my opinion, topped only by my beloved silver age Marvels. Of course it couldn't last. The publisher, who was totally dedicated to the books, wrote a monthly editorial ala Stan Lee's soapbox where without fail he would promise to never sell out and allow his creations to be compromised by some corporate power. But that's exactly what he did. It went to shit instantly.
Pete Bagge and Daniel Clowes both seem too busy to write comics anymore so I don't read much comics these days. Might have to dig out my old Archie comics. Archie is good.
~Paul
-
Here's the thing: until you've made a conscious effort to try DC, you have no idea what you are missing.
I'm not saying buy Superman or Batman or JLA. That's a large pill you're trying to swallow all at once. Try Outsiders, try Teen Titans (ok maybe try Batman). You might want to wait until this Infinite Crisis blows over, but if you are not reading at least on DC title, you are seriously missing out.
They have hired some stellar writers and their artists are far more hit than miss, and they aren't afraid to try something new, while KEEPING CONTINUITY (for the most part).
Can anyone give me a reason to get back into Marvel right now. I'm really trying but I cannot do it.
-Also: Is any o' y'all reading the current Dark hoss Conan by Kurt Busiek? That is some serious good shit.
-
Wow, in my three years behind the counter at the comic book store, Image was considered, by all who I respected opinion wise, to be mostly garbage - mostly drawings of women with big boobies and violence, with no substance. There were a few exceptions to the rule, but generally...
The titles I liked came from Helix, Vertigo & Darkhoss (before the merger/buy outs), as well as Slave Labour, Kitchen Sink and Top Shelf. Since I'm into mostly indi-comics, I have to deal with the horrible frustration of waiting months or even years for the next issue of a comic to come out. Whatever happened to Dork, Lenore, Sock Monkey or Peanut Butter and Jeremy? Sigh.
-
Whatever happened to Dork, Lenore, Sock Monkey or Peanut Butter and Jeremy? Sigh.
Trailer Trash. Milk and Cheese, etc...
~Paul
-
I shit on continuity.
-
I shit on continuity.
Back in the old days things had to make sense. But these kids today, they just don't care.
Love you Bozak, post that picture.
~Paul
-
Anybody else remember First Comics, especially Grim Jack or The Badger.
Also, how about some love for those Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?
-
Back in the old days things had to make sense. But these kids today, they just don't care.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/bensanaz/nazijimmy.jpg)
-
I just totally gave up on continuity. I've just accepted that in The New Avengers Spiderman can be punching somebody, while in the House of M Spiderman, he's the Green Goblin, or in the House of M, he's just beating other people up. If I can suspend my belief to the point where I believe a talking chimp is a talented detective, I'm pretty sure I can make up for the Fantastic Four having different origins in Ultimate Fantastic Four and the regular variety.
-
Don't dis Detective Chimp. Detective Chimp is old-school classic.
-
a talking chimp is a talented detective
What? More, please. With links.
-
Detective Chimp:
http://www.thrillingdetective.com/eyes/bobo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detective_Chimp
Peanut Putter and Jeremy and Sock Monkey are so goddamned awesome. I thank you for pointing them out. My favorite Sock Monkey is where he attempts suicide and can't because he is a sock monkey.
Continuity is a dream. It is nearly unattainable. But it is nice when they at least try to give a shit about fans.
-
American Elf is heartwarming every single day. My heart OVERHEATS.
But being a monkey without civil rights and being unable to stand as a juridical person, he couldn't get paid, and when the public began to forget him, he became an alcoholic.
Yeah, I wrote THAT country song.
-
But being a monkey without civil rights and being unable to stand as a juridical person, he couldn't get paid, and when the public began to forget him, he became an alcoholic.
Yeah, I wrote THAT country song.
Wait... is that actually a part of the comics or not? There's no discussion page or anything so I guess someone could have snuck it in for fun.
Damnit Wiki, why hast thou betrayed me.
-
Detective Chimp:
http://www.thrillingdetective.com/eyes/bobo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detective_Chimp
Peanut Putter and Jeremy and Sock Monkey are so goddamned awesome. I thank you for pointing them out. My favorite Sock Monkey is where he attempts suicide and can't because he is a sock monkey.
Continuity is a dream. It is nearly unattainable. But it is nice when they at least try to give a shit about fans.
Yes, at least Kochalka (http://www.americanelf.com) and Millionaire (http://www.maakies.com) are on the web, but I want me some comic books, god damn it!
-
Yes, at least Kochalka (http://www.americanelf.com) and Millionaire (http://www.maakies.com) are on the web, but I want me some comic books, god damn it!
Then you should check out Y: The Last Man, if you mean proper comic books. I need to track down the second TPB of this, as the first was great.
100 Bullets is pretty cool. And I have to say, I was very impressed by Rising Stars, though I can't find the second TPB of that either.
I am contemplating getting my mother the complete Calvin and Hobbes for christmas...
-
Oh, Y is amazing. Definitely pick it up.
Dorkiest moment of my life. Last night, I pulled up fundrace.org to see if I could find out who my crazy blinged-out relatives gave money to; no such luck, but then I searched my neighborhood.
I live .34 miles from Dr. Barry Allen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_allen), a research scientist at Columbia University. He gave $250 to the RNC. I feel I should warn him, though, lest he DIE AT THE HANDS OF THE ANTI-MONITOR!
-
FABLES!
is anyone reading fables?! Fables is so hardcore awesome.
It is like being massaged by a beautiful sexy lady as another beautiful sexy lady feeds you your favorite food and your favorite music is on and the sky is blue and it's very warm and all you can think about is how awesome and beautiful the world is.
Read it and you will feel the beauty and wonder of looking at the world through Philippe's eyes... Or Lyle's... i think he probably thinks good things about the world too.
-
You can download the first issue right now...
http://www.dccomics.com/features/fables/intro.html
-
Fables is totally awesome and rad. Both at once.
WARNING: Although Bill Willingham writes a rad and awesome book with Fables, do not assume that this always applies. His run on Robin is not so good. But Fables? Rawesomed.