The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mudokon on November 07, 2005, 01:24:22 pm

Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: mudokon on November 07, 2005, 01:24:22 pm
No one's posted about this yet? Okay.

The subtitle joke seems oddly superfluous and I don't think he really needed to waste two panels setting it up. The parkour stuff kind of made up for it.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: V-Adore on November 07, 2005, 01:29:18 pm
This is just... weird. Weird in an interesting way, but weird. I'm curious what was going through Onstad's head on this one. On the other hand, the utterly gratuitous leaping was a plus.

Upon a second read, my guess on the subtitles thing is that it's a cover for Onstad not finding anywhere he wanted to put the word balloons in this one. Clever, though.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: misterqueue on November 07, 2005, 01:31:12 pm
I've seen those Parkour guys.. they're nuts.  

Anyway, for a dude of some gravity Raymond Smuckles certainly knows how to punish a young dude with flair.

You go Mr. Raymond Smuckles; I salute you.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Mantonio on November 07, 2005, 01:48:27 pm
Quote from: "misterqueue"
Anyway, for a dude of some gravity Raymond Smuckles certainly knows how to punish a young dude with flair.

You go Mr. Raymond Smuckles; I salute you.


Ladies and Gents, Tim Simmons (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02042004) is back in town!
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: MattFish on November 07, 2005, 01:57:43 pm
If there ever was an acrobatic dis attack, this is it. Dude has got blah blah etc.

I like to call Parkour "Freestyle Running" and say me and my buddies came up with it. Why on earth hadn't I heard it had been invented before?
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 07, 2005, 02:03:16 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is just... weird. Weird in an interesting way, but weird. I'm curious what was going through Onstad's head on this one. .


MARIJUANA AND DESPERATION
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Mantonio on November 07, 2005, 02:09:57 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is just... weird. Weird in an interesting way, but weird. I'm curious what was going through Onstad's head on this one. .


MARIJUANA AND DESPERATION


This strep id exibetAA FOr whu weed shoul be leggal.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2005, 02:15:02 pm
That is a view of Ray's thong I could've done without.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: aparrish on November 07, 2005, 02:32:39 pm
There is only one word to describe this strip: WTF.

Did anyone really want to see Ray's taint?  Why would Onstad think we would want to see Ray's taint.  The man has been obsessed lately with showing everyone cat genitals.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: side_show on November 07, 2005, 02:48:56 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
There is only one word to describe this strip: WTF.

Did anyone really want to see Ray's taint?  Why would Onstad think we would want to see Ray's taint.  The man has been obsessed lately with showing everyone cat genitals.


Favorite detail? The obvious equipment bulge we see in the 2nd to last panel.  WTF?  I thought the equipment for a cat was all on the inside?  I guess I understand why Ray needs a thong now.  The dude needs it.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 07, 2005, 03:21:37 pm
I enjoy the alt-text on this one. The philosophy section of the Parkour website is pretty insufferable.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: AugustWest on November 07, 2005, 04:16:02 pm
My favorite detail is Teador as a dot in the background of panel 3.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: cellardoor on November 07, 2005, 04:29:12 pm
God, this is brilliant!
Great spot there August, I missed that.
This is all the sweeter to those who've previously been exposed to the dire "street art" of Parkour.
Further proof that even when just wandering about the French are still pretentious and annoying. Hoo ha!
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: jough on November 07, 2005, 06:22:00 pm
Li'L' NEPHEW JUST GOT SERVED!
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Silverberg on November 07, 2005, 06:24:07 pm
I'm a fan of the subtitles' apparent need to explain, in panel three, that Ray is (standing).
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 07, 2005, 06:26:57 pm
Quote from: "Silverberg"
I'm a fan of the subtitles' apparent need to explain, in panel three, that Ray is (standing).


well, if you were blind, a text to speech generator could clue you in.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Silverberg on November 07, 2005, 07:16:20 pm
True enough. Good to know that Achewood remains all about handicapped accessibility.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: miles on November 07, 2005, 08:33:53 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Li'L' NEPHEW JUST GOT SERVED!


He just got f'd in the a.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: evan on November 07, 2005, 09:24:24 pm
Quote from: "Silverberg"
I'm a fan of the subtitles' apparent need to explain, in panel three, that Ray is (standing).

I don't really think that Onstad understands the concept of Closed Captioning. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12152004)
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 07, 2005, 09:34:03 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "Silverberg"
I'm a fan of the subtitles' apparent need to explain, in panel three, that Ray is (standing).

I don't really think that Onstad understands the concept of Closed Captioning. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12152004)


I tried to educate him on the matter, but it fell on deaf ears.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Skillator on November 08, 2005, 12:12:56 am
This strip has totally invaded my mind and all I can think about is parkour.

Have you seen the picture where the dude is jumping over the gap in the roof of the stadium!? THE DUDE HAS GOT NO MERCY!

I think parkour may be the awesomest thing to happen to my life.

Thank you Achewood for educating me.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Doc on November 08, 2005, 12:58:34 am
My favourite detail here has to be that Teodor is actually facing the box that holds Ray's head (and Ray is facing him) in panel 8.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: robot_god on November 08, 2005, 01:34:19 am
Quote from: "Skillator"
This strip has totally invaded my mind and all I can think about is parkour.

Have you seen the picture where the dude is jumping over the gap in the roof of the stadium!? THE DUDE HAS GOT NO MERCY!

I think parkour may be the awesomest thing to happen to my life.

Thank you Achewood for educating me.


I can't decide whether I should mock the people who do this or take it up myself.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: robot_roll_call on November 08, 2005, 01:41:17 am
Combine parkour with infiltration (http://www.infiltration.org/) and you've got yourself a sport. They could call it Infiltour, and only the most merciless dudes could compete.

Today I am a genius.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: CortJstr on November 08, 2005, 02:10:19 am
Good lord people will latch on to anything, won't they? Remember "flash mobs" and "culture jamming"? No? That's because they were dumb as hell.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: sam_spade on November 08, 2005, 02:15:00 am
Hey ... hey, wait just a moment, how are we hearing the UNPH in the last panel?!

So much Ray again.

I love panel 8 to death too.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: CortJstr on November 08, 2005, 02:43:52 am
Quote from: "sam_spade"
Hey ... hey, wait just a moment, how are we hearing the UNPH in the last panel?!

So much Ray again.

I love panel 8 to death too.

We can hear Teodor panting as well. Apparently on the vocal mics were malfunctioning.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 08, 2005, 04:06:09 am
Yeah, the unph and the pant pant pant are just the Foley guy screwing around.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: R-Machine on November 08, 2005, 04:07:41 am
So, if Ray was not able to piece together what Lil' Nephew was doing before, why did he tear the car apart? Was he just that mad that LN was in a lame (but sensible) car?
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Boring K on November 08, 2005, 07:02:12 am
I'd heard of parkour before.  I think it sounds cool.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2005, 03:22:52 am
Quote from: "Boring K"
I'd heard of parkour before.  I think it sounds cool.

I think what you meant to say is it sounds assinine.  I'm ashamed of Teodor a little bit actually.

~Paul
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: miles on November 09, 2005, 05:00:44 am
My cousin used to (when he was like 16 or younger) do this thing called--and I don't know if it was actually called this, it just makes sense to--freestyle walking.  I think his shoes had little plastic thingies on the soles, and he would slide down rails and do all sorts of crazy shit.  The kind of things kids do with skateboards, you know.  I thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but he loved it.  This seems a lot like that...?  Also something you'd expect from teenagers.  So yes, shame on you, Teodor.

fuck*ng teenagers.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: LCB on November 09, 2005, 05:17:16 am
I can see Teodor getting into something trendy, just not something like Parkour.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2005, 05:31:52 am
Yeah, well, back in the day my friends and I used to dose and then we'd walk around and find stuff and climb on it and jump around and do weird crap.   But we didn't have a special name for it.

Wait, we did.  We called it tripping.

But you didn't have to wear special shoes.  Although you could if you wanted to.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: arkabee on November 09, 2005, 06:47:21 am
i once ran to an object, climbed over it, and then ran away.

i also once fell into a bush, screaming, in order to disconcert high school students touring a college campus.

apparently i should start a cult, i could make millions.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Skillator on November 09, 2005, 07:20:06 pm
Dudes!
Parkour is asinine but so what!?
Rather than walking around trying to avoid people's gazes, a parkour dude is looking at shit that he can do flips on!
It is more than your dad's jogging. It is EXTREME jogging. Jogging where at any moment you could make a mistake that breaks you femur! That is so fuck*ng cool. Plus have you seen the picture where parkour man is jumping over a stadium? A STADIUM?!

http://www.urbanfreeflow.com/urban_graffiti/jumpbritain/images/h4_mm_gap.jpg

I think Téodor is onto something here. I back that dude up.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 09, 2005, 07:53:36 pm
A lot of those things are impressive athletic achievments. However, to pawn a style of running off as a philosophy is ridiculous. Did you read the philosophy section? "Parkour is similar to the yin and the yang in that it contains two basic selections (fluid vs. hard movements)" or whatever it says...that's an ultra-pretentious way of saying that Parkour requires strength, agility, and finesse. The reason it's stated the first way and not the latter is that virtually all sports require strength, agility, and finesse.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: aparrish on November 09, 2005, 10:27:17 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Good lord people will latch on to anything, won't they? Remember "flash mobs" and "culture jamming"? No? That's because they were dumb as hell.


Hey now!  I met my wife at a flash mob!  We put up wedding invitations around town, which read: "Our wedding has a posse."
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Ben-San on November 09, 2005, 10:39:31 pm
I think parkour/free running/whatever you call it sounds like a pretty awesome hobby to have even if the philosophy is bull. It will be especially useful in case of zombie apocalypse.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Golfhaus on November 10, 2005, 12:42:09 am
I think I would have had a lot of fun doing the flash mob thing... but by the time I'd heard of them, they'd already stopped doing them.

Plus, I live in southeast Virginia, which as has been noted, isn't the epicenter of the nation's social activity.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: ndpatel on November 10, 2005, 12:44:27 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
The reason it's stated the first way and not the latter is that virtually all sports require strength, agility, and finesse.


also because it's probably not a sport, since it would be basically impossible to compete at running around like a god-damn fool.
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Bozack on November 10, 2005, 07:25:09 am
Quote from: "ndpatel"
also because it's probably not a sport, since it would be basically impossible to compete at running around like a god-damn fool.


Have you never heard of Calvinball?
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: ndpatel on November 10, 2005, 10:32:00 am
(http://www.sixtyeights.com/images/parkour_calvin.jpg)

OH NO YOU DI'INT
Title: 11/07/05 -- parkour
Post by: Doc on November 10, 2005, 11:04:23 am
Damnit I'm sure we've talked about this.
Just wish I could find where.