The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Mantonio on November 07, 2005, 05:35:11 pm

Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Mantonio on November 07, 2005, 05:35:11 pm
Any of you folks ever heard of a blogger named ... Adam Yoshida? (http://www.adamyoshida.com/)

The cape  (http://www.adamyoshida.com/2004/01/into-stars.html)fits him quiet comfortably. (http://www.adamyoshida.com/2005/06/on-deep-throat.html)
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: aparrish on November 07, 2005, 06:29:46 pm
Thanks.  Now I need blood pressure medication. :(
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: V-Adore on November 07, 2005, 06:35:23 pm
Delightful. I'm especially fond of the "!Watergate = win in Vietnam" conclusion, which is just... uh? It's the kind of logic train I might be able to follow with a lot of elaboration, but this dude just takes it as read. What the HELL, people.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 07, 2005, 07:25:51 pm
What?

Quote from: "Loony"

And what evil hath Mr. Felt wrought?

Without Watergate, there’d have been no defeat in Vietnam. Absent what happened to Nixon, the Congress wouldn’t have been able to cut off aid to the South Vietnamese. A free South Vietnam would endure to the present day. Absent the fall of South Vietnam, Pol Pot would probably have never been able to take over Cambodia and murder millions there.

Without Watergate there’d have been no Jimmy Carter and, hence, no Iranian Revolution (or at least none like we’ve known). It took a leader of special incompetence to lose Iran as Carter did. Without Carter in the White House, there’d probably have been no Soviet invasion of Afghanistan either. It’s questionable if, without those events, there’d ever have been a rise of Islamism like we have seen. Almost certainly, there’d have been no 9-11.

Without Watergate, there probably wouldn’t have been an Iran-Contra: because, at heart, Iran-Contra was simply a Democratic effort to recapture glory days of Watergate. And without Watergate and Iran-Contra there’d probably have been no Clinton Impeachment which was, at least in part, vengeance for those earlier events.


STOP THIS RIDE I WANT TO GET OFF
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: aparrish on November 07, 2005, 07:30:31 pm
Without Watergate, my toast would have landed jam side up!  Without Watergate, I could still sport wood!
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 07, 2005, 07:36:47 pm
I also like how he completely glossed over gerald ford
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 07, 2005, 07:45:54 pm
Without Sirhan Sirhan many of these things may have happened differently as well. I want a companion rant.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: misterqueue on November 07, 2005, 07:54:52 pm
My eyes are bleeding.  There isn't enough lye in the world to clear out the realization that there are people who truly feel these things which I have read.


BLEEDING PEOPLE.. BLEEDING
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2005, 08:05:08 pm
If it weren't for Watergate then when the Watergate hotel went condo prices would've been slightly less ridiculous.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 07, 2005, 08:13:45 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
If it weren't for Watergate then when the Watergate hotel went condo prices would've been slightly less ridiculous.


The watergate hotel went condo?
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Golfhaus on November 07, 2005, 08:27:42 pm
Without Watergate, Hunter S. Thompson would have never done that Paul Oakenfold song.

That alone was worth all the other stuff.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2005, 08:30:23 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
If it weren't for Watergate then when the Watergate hotel went condo prices would've been slightly less ridiculous.


The watergate hotel went condo?

Indeed (http://www.winstonandwinstonrealestate.com/id22.htm). I remember hearing about it a while ago but I guess parts of it are still a hotel. This was the first link I came across and damn is it poorly done.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Mantonio on November 07, 2005, 10:43:10 pm
The greatest thing about Adam Yoshida is that he isn't even American. Sorry, Smells. Sorry Andalucia. Sorry all Cannuks out there, but he's one of you.

Also, I can't believe any of you have said anything about what he thinks ought to be done with space aliens if/when we encounter them in our future travels to the stars.

Quote
It might also be worth pointing out that, if aliens do exist, there is little reason to assume that they will be, as most have postulated, more advanced than we are. There is an equally good reason to believe that they will be less advanced. Would it not be prudent then to be prepared to restrict various alien races to the surface of their home planets?

This, of course, assumes that faster-than-light travel is possible. I, quite frankly, have no idea if it is. But, to base our policy on the assumption that it is not would be supremely foolish.

It may even be that we will find alien races that will have to be destroyed, lest they pose a threat, or that we will find races of servile aliens which might prove useful to us in other ways. I don’t know if we will, and we won’t know unless we try.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: AugustWest on November 07, 2005, 11:04:58 pm
I thought the Watergate was a mixed use facility all along -- i.e. it had offices, apartments, hotel rooms, commercial space and condos even back in the day.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: CortJstr on November 07, 2005, 11:51:16 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I thought the Watergate was a mixed use facility all along -- i.e. it had offices, apartments, hotel rooms, commercial space and condos even back in the day.

Yeah, upon further research turning the hotel part into condos is still firmly in the rumor category.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Skillator on November 08, 2005, 12:31:50 am
This guy can't possibly exist.
This guy must be like a logic professor who writes these essays and asks his students to find all of the pseudo-reasonings:

http://merlin.capcollege.bc.ca/mfleming/fallacy.htm

If not, I would like to punch him until he dies.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 08, 2005, 12:52:04 am
It's amazing how sensitive people around her get when their opinion gets challenged but this poor bastard gets his balls eaten by everybody AND Mr. T and he didn't even post anything here.

Sure he's got some nutty ideas. It's the internet. It wouldn't be recognizable without them.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Doc on November 08, 2005, 01:08:39 am
The beautiful thing for me is, not being on the same continent as you suckers, I don't have the required knowledge to argue against it so I'm just happy to go with it. I mean, I know about Watergate and Iran-Contra and so on but as for whether there were other factors involved in the build up to these events I've got no idea so I'm happy to accept his explanation. It makes your history much more amusing.

*Without Watergate your media wouldn't attach the suffix 'gate' to every goddamn scandal!*
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Doc on November 08, 2005, 01:13:37 am
The world is also a wacky place when I hear about the Paris riots through this guys blog.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Skillator on November 08, 2005, 01:28:22 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's amazing how sensitive people around her get when their opinion gets challenged but this poor bastard gets his balls eaten by everybody AND Mr. T and he didn't even post anything here.


If you can validly argue a point contrary to my beliefs I will give you all due respect. But none of this fellow's views are based on fact. The reasoning is so flawed it collapses under the slightest examination. His words simply perpetuate an ignorant worldview.
It's a pity that people take these views as valid reasoning.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: miles on November 08, 2005, 01:29:17 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I also like how he completely glossed over gerald ford


Don't we all.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: miles on November 08, 2005, 01:39:02 am
Oh, and:

Quote
Though I haven't seen it yet, I've been pulling for "Walk the Line" for Best Picture next year - but I'm fairly sure that it won't win. But, for a long time, I've been predicting that the winner will be Ang Lee's "Brokeback Mountain" which Drudge is now suggesting.

It's easy to predict - it's why I knew that "Million Dollar Baby" would win last year, even though it was a mediocre film (and faced the far-superior "Aviator"). You can typically guess who's going to win if there's a movie with some sort of socially liberal message.


He hasn't seen it.  But--he has an opinion!  He's pulling for it.  What is this, college football?

It's funny that he's criticizing the Academy for rewarding movies based on something other than the artistic merit of the film, but at the same time he's hoping that they'll do it again.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: pmcd9 on November 08, 2005, 02:30:35 am
Who are these servile aliens?  Is he talking about those green bitches with the big cans?

~Paul
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: V-Adore on November 08, 2005, 02:50:39 am
Quote from: "Mantonio"
The greatest thing about Adam Yoshida is that he isn't even American. Sorry, Smells. Sorry Andalucia. Sorry all Cannuks out there, but he's one of you.

Also, I can't believe any of you have said anything about what he thinks ought to be done with space aliens if/when we encounter them in our future travels to the stars.

Quote
It might also be worth pointing out that, if aliens do exist, there is little reason to assume that they will be, as most have postulated, more advanced than we are. There is an equally good reason to believe that they will be less advanced. Would it not be prudent then to be prepared to restrict various alien races to the surface of their home planets?

This, of course, assumes that faster-than-light travel is possible. I, quite frankly, have no idea if it is. But, to base our policy on the assumption that it is not would be supremely foolish.

It may even be that we will find alien races that will have to be destroyed, lest they pose a threat, or that we will find races of servile aliens which might prove useful to us in other ways. I don’t know if we will, and we won’t know unless we try.

Wow. Just... wow. I love how he seems to be prepared to laugh off Vulcans and actual sentient races as so much science-fictional hogwash, but nearly in the same breath addresses gravely the possibility of Xenomorphs and other "evolved strictly to jump out of air ducts and bite people" space-bugs. I mean, what?
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Bozack on November 08, 2005, 03:17:35 am
Quote
I don’t know if we will, and we won’t know unless we try.


That's an inspirational message for you right there. Aliens might not exist, but if they do, maybe we can kill or enslave them. BUT WE WON'T KNOW IF WE DON'T TRY, DAMMIT!
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 08, 2005, 04:08:44 am
Quote from: "Skillator"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's amazing how sensitive people around her get when their opinion gets challenged but this poor bastard gets his balls eaten by everybody AND Mr. T and he didn't even post anything here.


If you can validly argue a point contrary to my beliefs I will give you all due respect. But none of this fellow's views are based on fact. The reasoning is so flawed it collapses under the slightest examination. His words simply perpetuate an ignorant worldview.
It's a pity that people take these views as valid reasoning.


No one here is (taking these views as valid reasoning). I doubt anyone anywhere is. That's kind of my point - it's like making fun of a retard. There's some higher fruit somewhere that needs the attention of intellectual giants like those on this board. This guy ain't it.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: AugustWest on November 08, 2005, 04:16:03 am
Would you feel better making fun of him if he was a pathetic lefty rather than a pathetic righty, Dawg?
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: V-Adore on November 08, 2005, 05:05:27 am
Eh, the point at which someone creates a blog is the point at which it's free to be mocked. Besides, the dude can clearly write at a beyond-elementary-school level; it's not exactly puppy-kicking.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Choop on November 08, 2005, 05:43:09 am
Maaan, who doesn't love puppy-kicking?
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Choop on November 08, 2005, 05:43:51 am
Sorry, I just clipped my toenails and now it kinda feels all wierd.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: miles on November 08, 2005, 06:10:55 am
Dude, I fuck*ng hate that.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: aparrish on November 08, 2005, 03:58:29 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's amazing how sensitive people around her get when their opinion gets challenged but this poor bastard gets his balls eaten by everybody AND Mr. T and he didn't even post anything here.


I blame it ... on Watergate.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: side_show on November 08, 2005, 04:38:51 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Would you feel better making fun of him if he was a pathetic lefty rather than a pathetic righty, Dawg?


Oh, being a pathtic lefty, I would personally enjoy making fun of other pathetic lefties.... and the search is on.... now!
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 08, 2005, 05:41:44 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Would you feel better making fun of him if he was a pathetic lefty rather than a pathetic righty, Dawg?


I haven't made fun of anyone in this thread yet, so the question is spurious. I'm juyst saying it's awfully low hanging fruit and I know you guys can do better.

As for the pathetic lefty thing - possibly easier to find - but no, again, too easy.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2005, 09:21:04 pm
Gotta agree with Dawg here.  I'm not going to waste one nanosecond of my time on this earth ripping on the likes of Adam Yoshida.  No point.
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2005, 01:22:53 am
Fuckin' high road, I hate it.

~Paul
Title: Pat discovers politics
Post by: arkabee on November 09, 2005, 01:35:21 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Fuckin' high road, I hate it.

~Paul


since there's a high and a low road, isn't it inherent in the metaphor that the destination can be the same for both?