The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: beverly on August 29, 2003, 07:03:21 am

Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: beverly on August 29, 2003, 07:03:21 am
Is he losing interest?  That was posted on drew's website a few days ago.  Maybe he needs submissions?

Edit: wrong date I MA RTEARD
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: jough on August 29, 2003, 08:16:57 am
Yeah, let's hear it for recycled stale content:
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/boston-jackson.jpg
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: V-Adore on August 29, 2003, 06:14:00 pm
I don't really get the humor in any of this at all. Am I stupid?
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: slink on August 29, 2003, 06:43:17 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I don't really get the humor in any of this at all. Am I stupid?


Well, we got a strip on the same day now, so what does it matter...
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: jough on August 29, 2003, 08:03:44 pm
Yeah, I also forgot there was a variety hour until I saw the thread here.

Maybe he should just let it die.  It's obviously not a priority or something that he's putting any thought into anymore.  It just detracts from an otherwise excellent site.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 29, 2003, 08:32:22 pm
Although I agree with Jough, I'm still terrified to post an opinion about it because Onstad's intellectual bodyguards still occasionally rise up to quash dissenters even on this site.

Fuck it. Here I go:

The "Variety Hour" sucked six kinds of porcine ass from the first installment. Now it appears to be recycled material. It's his bandwidth, so if he wants to post a picture of his genitals with a face drawn on with a sharpie, god bless him. I clicked on the link and I'm the worse for it.

Like Jough, I mercifully forgot about the Non-Achewood Non-Variety moment of unfunniness until reminded by this thread, and like an idiot, I went there.

The comics have improved a ton since the "war of online agression", also known as "the recent unpleasantness".  I think that improvement is 6 kinds of awesome and kisses no fewer than six parts of six kinds of SI Swimsuit model. Six times.

Let the flaming of my miserably uninformed opinion begin.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2003, 12:34:15 am
It's funny - yeah, the variety hour has never, in my opinion, been worth the time it takes to read it. However, the regular comic, coupled with Ray's Place, makes this better than any other online comic I read. By far. The only one that comes close is WiGU, and that's because I get the email from Jeff which is basically bonus humor. I would pay $10 or $20 a month for all the Achewood-related goodness, and here I am getting the whole shebang for free + the $20 or whatever I spent for a year's worth of Serializer. I guess I'm saying that if Onstad wants to put out the VH, what the hell. I'll still read it hoping for gold in them thar hills, and maybe, just maybe, the VH is an integral part of what is making the rest of it so good.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: jough on August 30, 2003, 12:40:37 am
There's more to it today - Chris posted an old and truly unfunny strip.

Wow.

I swear he's making it lame on purpose.  Like David Lynch and "Twin Peaks."
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2003, 12:45:12 am
It's hard to believe that he is responsible for that strip - it's like anti-funny.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2003, 01:17:15 am
Quote from: "jough"
Wow.

I swear he's making it lame on purpose.  Like David Lynch and "Twin Peaks."


I'm beginning to think you're right, Jough.  Starting to get a certain Kaufman-esque vibe off the variety hour.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: V-Adore on August 30, 2003, 01:55:07 am
Yeah, the Rainier Beer strip just confuses the heck out of me. Is the joke that the guy likes his beer? Is the joke that the beer talks? Sings? Is there a joke? Me no comprende.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 30, 2003, 02:01:02 am
Interesting. Or maybe Nabubrush is right and there is some kind of relationship between the non-succulent suckiness of the VH and the incredible awesomeness of Achewood and Ray's Place. Maybe if he stopped with the VH the awesomeness would start sliding down until the needle pegs SUCKS and sticks there, taunting us like the warped middle finger of the failed middleaged realtor with the dark roots and cheap, apparently non-permanent plastic surgery we just cut off in traffic.

It's a deal with Satan, I say! Satan promised Onstad online comic success and acclaim, but in return, he must promise not only his soul and his rectal cherry in hell but also that Satan can post his own writing once a week.

Or something.

That's all I was thinking.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: slink on August 30, 2003, 02:02:10 am
Quote from: "jough"

I swear he's making it lame on purpose.  Like David Lynch and "Twin Peaks."


I rekcon he's trying to make us all regret being mean to him. Showing us what could have been. That's why he took thr strips down to 3 a week for a while, just to make us pay!
Now we must never doubt him, even with the VH going as is...
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2003, 03:52:19 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Interesting. Or maybe Nabubrush is right and there is some kind of relationship between the non-succulent suckiness of the VH and the incredible awesomeness of Achewood and Ray's Place. Maybe if he stopped with the VH the awesomeness would start sliding down until the needle pegs SUCKS and sticks there, taunting us like the warped middle finger of the failed middleaged realtor with the dark roots and cheap, apparently non-permanent plastic surgery we just cut off in traffic.

It's a deal with Satan, I say! Satan promised Onstad online comic success and acclaim, but in return, he must promise not only his soul and his rectal cherry in hell but also that Satan can post his own writing once a week.

Or something.

That's all I was thinking.


It's the Portrait of Dorian Gray!
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: Choop on August 30, 2003, 04:35:25 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
...rectal cherry...


Bee. Eee. Ay. YOU-tif-ul.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: V-Adore on August 30, 2003, 04:40:37 am
The phrase "[Onstad's] rectal cherry in Hell" is singlehandedly funnier than this week's entire V-Hour. Quite possibly this week and last's combined.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: AugustWest on August 30, 2003, 05:36:48 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The phrase "[Onstad's] rectal cherry in Hell" is singlehandedly funnier than this week's entire V-Hour. Quite possibly this week and last's combined.


Dude, that's funnier than the entire collected V-hours thus far, plus those for the foreseeable future.  Also, funnier than Tony Clifton.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: Nabubrush on August 30, 2003, 04:25:00 pm
And to think, we never would have gotten to experience the beauty and wonder that is "rectal cherry" were it not for a certain . . . Variety Hour.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: jough on August 30, 2003, 08:47:08 pm
You're all assuming that Onstad still has his rectal cherry.  I've heard stories about his boy-meets-boy orgies at Stanford.

I'm just saying, it may not have been something that he could offer Satan (which all fans of pro hockey know is pronounced "Sha tan").
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 30, 2003, 10:23:29 pm
Now THAT is a (money) shot across the bow (so to speak)...

If there is lurking going on, the lurker may jump out of the figurative message board closet he is hiding in to bear down and defend the honor of his rectal cherry.

Could be very, very good indeed.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: slink on August 30, 2003, 11:15:14 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Now THAT is a (money) shot across the bow (so to speak)...

If there is lurking going on, the lurker may jump out of the figurative message board closet he is hiding in to bear down and defend the honor of his rectal cherry.

Could be very, very good indeed.


So all we have to do is sit around yelling, 'Onstad's a fag' repeatedly and he'll appear as if by magic, and we'll get the old Dumbrella board days back!?
*shudders*
Just when I thought I'd left behind a chunk of my life!

Anyway, I'm off to cook something good, without any ingredients (damn lack of car atm!)
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 31, 2003, 04:21:56 am
Man! If you can cook something good with no ingredients, you have to post it in the TASTES forum.

Quote
So all we have to do is sit around yelling, 'Onstad's a fag' repeatedly and he'll appear as if by magic, and we'll get the old Dumbrella board days back!?
*shudders*
Just when I thought I'd left behind a chunk of my life!


No one wants those days to return. May any lurkers stay in their respective closets, clenched and mercifully quiet. And if they come out, may I suggest burying your face in a pillow if you think you might make noise? I don't care if you DO STUFF, just don't be real obvious.


Thanks.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: slink on August 31, 2003, 04:43:30 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Man! If you can cook something good with no ingredients, you have to post it in the TASTES forum.

Just when I thought I'd left behind a chunk of my life!
No one wants those days to return.


Well. Ingredients I was lacking in the end were just everything i wanted - bread (I was going to do my new and improved Bruschetta recipe - see Tastes) and potatoes, and well, vegetables in general!

And yea, you saw me shudder man! I do really like this forum over the old one. I mean, notice how much more often I actually bother to post!
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: captainimpossibles on September 02, 2003, 02:14:48 am
What the hell is wrong with you all? That Rainier beer strip is pure comedic gold! It's money in the bank!
I imagine that beer singing as I drift off to sleep, and it just serves to remind me that all's right in the world.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2003, 04:10:12 am
I'm very much reminded of the whole Bloody Mary/Candyman thing. Maybe if I stand in front of my mirror and yell "ONSTAD IS A FAG  ACHEWOOD SUZ TEH C0Q" three times in a row, he'll appear and claw my throat out! ... or just give me a disappointed look, whichever.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: captainimpossibles on September 02, 2003, 04:23:14 pm
No, that's silly.
Title: August 28th Variety Hour
Post by: CortJstr on September 02, 2003, 04:42:51 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm very much reminded of the whole Bloody Mary/Candyman thing. Maybe if I stand in front of my mirror and yell "ONSTAD IS A FAG  ACHEWOOD SUZ TEH C0Q" three times in a row, he'll appear and claw my throat out! ... or just give me a disappointed look, whichever.


Maybe he'll pull an Adult Swim and put out a t-shirt that says "cus achewood is teh suck"