The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: sam_spade on November 14, 2005, 06:11:32 am

Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: sam_spade on November 14, 2005, 06:11:32 am
http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=11142005

The teller receives multiple gunshot wounds in this one. Discuss.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: AugustWest on November 14, 2005, 06:30:15 am
I love this strip.

This strip is pure character development.  Beef and Biz are interacting in front of a blank background.  It's just the two of them.  There are lots of ways both of them can go from this point.  Given that Beef is a (the?) main character, a twin brother can only help to create interesting plot developments.  

Evil Twins?  That's getting awfully close to cliche country.  Careful, O.

I hope Biz develops into a complex character like Ray.  We don't need another cardboard cutout asshole like Pat.  Two-dimensional characters suck.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: jmcc on November 14, 2005, 06:56:41 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I love this strip.

This strip is pure character development.  Beef and Biz are interacting in front of a blank background.  It's just the two of them.  There are lots of ways both of them can go from this point.  Given that Beef is a (the?) main character, a twin brother can only help to create interesting plot developments.  

Evil Twins?  That's getting awfully close to cliche country.  Careful, O.

I hope Biz develops into a complex character like Ray.  We don't need another cardboard cutout asshole like Pat.  Two-dimensional characters suck.

He's already getting dimensions. Look at how dejected he looks when asked if those are the only two countries he knows. I think he's just a dude who wants to connect with his brother and is having a hard time.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: Jimmy Kustes on November 14, 2005, 07:44:39 am
Pat does have demensions. He did something nice this week by relieving the sample lady so she can go off and cry.

He's one of the most fun and relatable characters.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: Emmoh on November 14, 2005, 08:09:14 am
Ray would be an interesting addition to this story.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that Ray was working on a drink invention at the beginning of the Little Nephew - Honda story arc (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01092003)
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: MattFish on November 14, 2005, 08:31:44 am
Congrats, Showbiz, it was the first time you made me laugh, when your brother pointed out that you ate a hot dog bun spread with a somewhat exotic cheese because you thought it was past-date mayonnaise. Good show.

The alt-text is interestingly sarcastic today.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: Doc on November 14, 2005, 11:30:00 am
What the hell guys? No one mentioned the CH-CHK! This is the defining Showbiz moment: he is the guy without shame, he is the guy who is living his dreams because he has nothing else.

What I truly fear is that Showbiz is going to meet up with Todd, though I'm sure they've met each other before. Seems they'd travel in the same circles. Although at least Todd actually runs smack in his van, I doubt Showbiz has even clawed his way that high on the petty crime ladder.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: sam_spade on November 14, 2005, 11:52:57 am
Yeah, the whole pistol thing is awesome.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: V-Adore on November 14, 2005, 01:32:16 pm
I'm actually pretty intrigued by Showbiz. He's nicely walking the line between "heedlessly assholish" and "just pathetic," and he's slowly developing a real personality, too, which is nice. Also, I like the fact that Beef seems to be getting more assertive towards him. I think it's a positive development arc for Beef that more and more of his interactions with assholes have actually been questioning/sarcastic instead of passive.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: CortJstr on November 14, 2005, 02:08:04 pm
This is actually reminding me of Malcolm in the Middle except that Malcolm just assumes that every single person that he meets is about equal with Showbiz on the intellectual scale.

I'm still trying to figure out how picking up chicks while one has the runs works out.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: aparrish on November 14, 2005, 04:46:11 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Evil Twins?  That's getting awfully close to cliche country.  Careful, O.


Up next, alternative universe Ray!

(http://adamparrish.warped.com/images/evilray.gif)

That's not Ketel One in that shaker.  It's Grey Goose.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: jough on November 14, 2005, 04:47:17 pm
Showbiz loading a round into the chamber of his hand/gun made me snicker a little, as did his shooting the bank teller IMMEDIATELY after demanding money (and then Beef again for calling his ignorance into the light).

Stupid people tend to know they're stupid, I think, and try to overcompensate by coming up with ideas that they hope other people will agree are clever.  They tend not to like it when you point out their mental limitations.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: misterqueue on November 14, 2005, 05:07:29 pm
Yeah.. the CH-CHIK sold it for me... as did the fact that both it and the first POW are afterthoughts to his statements.

I'm gonna start doing that all the time now,

"Hey I'll be right back.. I'm going to the grocery store...  POW!"
"Will you pick up milk?"
"No.. CH-CHIK!"
"Why are you such an idiot?"
"POW!"
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: CortJstr on November 14, 2005, 05:42:51 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Showbiz loading a round into the chamber of his hand/gun made me snicker a little, as did his shooting the bank teller IMMEDIATELY after demanding money (and then Beef again for calling his ignorance into the light).

I assumed that he was shooting into the wall or something just to prove that the gun is real and loaded, not actually wasting the teller.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 14, 2005, 06:45:58 pm
Showbiz is kind of like the combination of Napoleon Dynamite and Uncle Rico. Weird combination.

I just think he's both socially inept and not very creative, so he's trapped in his own little world.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: side_show on November 14, 2005, 08:07:52 pm
For me, Showbiz is, basically a classic cokehead.   Plain and simple.  Fucked up to the point of stupid, but acting like he's not, even though he's got a little trickle of dried blood out of his left nostril.  That's Showbiz to me.  I mean, look at the bad ponytail.  All he needs is a muscle car with a giant eagle detail painted on the hood and one of those things that does the opposite of a muffler on the tailpipe.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: CortJstr on November 14, 2005, 08:44:49 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
For me, Showbiz is, basically a classic cokehead.   Plain and simple.  Fucked up to the point of stupid, but acting like he's not, even though he's got a little trickle of dried blood out of his left nostril.  That's Showbiz to me.  I mean, look at the bad ponytail.  All he needs is a muscle car with a giant eagle detail painted on the hood and one of those things that does the opposite of a muffler on the tailpipe.

Dang. Your stereotype needs to hang out with the Van Dam van guy from SpikeTV.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: theinevitable on November 14, 2005, 10:43:02 pm
I think these are just the two types you get when you're from circumstances
either a really loud guy who is really messed up/aggressive (outwardly) or the really quiet guy who is really messed up, but, on the inside.

it is on the inside of his head.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: LCB on November 15, 2005, 04:29:33 am
Showbiz is the relative who tends to be something of a ne'er-do-well, and when he's around people try not to act like he's disturbing them or upsetting them no matter how jerky or loud he's acting...to a point. Other times, he fails to pick up on not-so-subtle clues that he's causing some strife.
But eventually he shows up at the wrong time or starts acting up at a family event or gets a little pushy and starts spinning ridiculous excuses for borrowing some cash, which he'll pay back man, just give him a little time...and a ugly scene starts.

and in my experience, the stereotype drives around in a dinged-up pickup truck (missing tailgate optional) and wears lots of greasy, sweaty T-shirts with logos, from beer brands to Harley Davidson. And cheap sunglasses, never forget about the cheap sunglasses.
Title: 11/14/05 - Give me the money, idiot! I'm from Switzerland!
Post by: Bozack on November 15, 2005, 10:51:23 pm
Quote from: "LCB"
And cheap sunglasses, never forget about the cheap sunglasses.


The sunglasses are fuck*ng key.