The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on November 15, 2005, 12:45:56 am

Title: Artistic help needed
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 15, 2005, 12:45:56 am
Can anyone tell me what 'cement fondue' is? I'm building some planter fountains and one of the guides I'm using mentions cement fondue.

Is it just a method of mixing the cement with different kinds of aggregate material?

Thanks in advance!
Title: Re: Artistic help needed
Post by: pmcd9 on November 15, 2005, 12:50:48 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Can anyone tell me what 'cement fondue' is? I'm building some planter fountains and one of the guides I'm using mentions cement fondue.

Is it just a method of mixing the cement with different kinds of aggregate material?

Thanks in advance!

Cement Fondue is the hardner in the cement.  It's the cementum in the cement.
Title: Artistic help needed
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 15, 2005, 12:57:08 am
so what, is it saying mix up cement with no aggregate at all - no sand or crushed marble, etc., just the cement mix?

I did find some entries for cement fondu talking about what sounds like some special kind of cement. Calcium Aluminate cement? Does that sound familiar?
Title: Artistic help needed
Post by: CortJstr on November 15, 2005, 12:57:36 am
Huh. I batched concrete for a while and I've never heard of this one. I'll see if I can ask my dad about this. He invented a new kind of concrete once so he should know these things.
Title: Artistic help needed
Post by: pmcd9 on November 15, 2005, 01:00:32 am
I'm not an expert on the subject, but when I worked in refractory we used a product called cement fondue and it was the binder in a mixture of vermiculite, aggregate, and fondue.

~Paul
Title: Artistic help needed
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2005, 01:28:49 am
It's what you get when you melt cement with kirsch, garlic and some Gruyere.