The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Beatrice on November 17, 2005, 02:35:33 pm
-
Charles Mingus (http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/Mingus/cat_training.html) Cat Toilet Training Program (http://achewood.com/?date=06202003)
I'm gonna do this when I take my fat kitty to a new apartment. She will trim down, learn to love the toilet AND be the coolest of cats. (but I think if she doesn't lose weight she won't be able to balance).
-
NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE. That was REAL?
-
gosh, guys. don't make fun. i never saw the real thing.
-
Wait...
Did we already know that there was a real Nightlife Mingus? And if so, did we know that the dude up and used a human toilet?
This is all news to me.
Also, it is cute and endearing.
We have three cats, and one of whom is content to pee in the general vacinity of the litter box, so I'm thinking this is not worth the effort for us, but if you try it, let us know how it goes!
-
I was under the impression that there was a real jazz musician named Charles Mingus, and that everything else was just some implausible shit Onstad made up.
Wow.
-
Check out this page (http://www.mingus.5u.com/catalog.html) with the same article, but look at the photo. The photo makes me assume two things: 1) this is a photo of the real Nighlife Mingus and 2) there may be a book out there that I need to find.
*edit*:
From the official Mingus site:
At the Berklee College of Music convocation on September 3, 2004, to welcome new students and to present saxophonist Michael Brecker with an honorary degree, the new campus mascot was celebrated as well-- a human sized "hip cat", whose name, Mingus, was voted on by the student body. Sue Mingus gave her blessings to the cat in a brief speech during which she presented him with the Charles Mingus CATalog for Toilet Training your Cat.
"The Charles Mingus CAT-alogue for Toilet Training Your Cat" seems to be a pamphlet that Mingus put together himself (the content of which is what Bea linked to) and distributed, and that his wife then continued to distribute after his passing. Upon searching I seem to find several sites referring to toilet training cats as the "Mingus Method." This is very facinating to me.
-
The alt text for that strip mentioned the very page that Beatrice linked to, you know.
-
You know, since you couldn't actually click on the link in the alt-text, I just went to the main page of the site and read about the musician. I didn't realize 'til now that the site had anything to do with cat toilets, because, well, all signs on the main page pointed to a fairly dignified musician bio-site, not anything to do with cat pee, y' know?
-
I didn't mean to come off as condescending. Sorry.
-
I am incapable of doing anything original.
And, yes he was a real dude. And yes, he was/is awesome.
-
I am incapable of doing anything original.
And, yes he was a real dude. And yes, he was/is awesome.
He must've been, to have inspired Mingus Dew.
-
I didn't mean to come off as condescending. Sorry.
Oh, no worries, no offence taken. It was news to me, but only because at the time the whole Nightlife Mingus thing was running I only had internet access at work, so didn't really give the strips as through a reading as I do now.
Also, excuse my ignorance but is "mudokon" ... something? Does it mean something? For some reason when I see it, I always think mucus, or mucus-don, for no aparent reason. Even your avatar doesn't seem to have a nose, or maybe it's eyes with a huge nose/beak? You do not strike me as mucus-y in any way, but my brain likes to take words I don't know and form them into ones I do know. When I actually say your handle out loud I think of Transformers and the Decepticons, and that's even more abstract.
I should be asleep right now...
-
I think Mudukon is from the Oddysee series of games? Or whatever. Oddworld?
Yeah, I've had that bookmarked for a while. When I finally get my cat (Carl Perkins; not Carl, not Perkins, but Carl Perkins, as in "Carl Perkins, don't pee on that!"), I WILL teach it to defecate in my toilet.
-
Yeah, Bozack's got it.
-
I think Mudukon is from the Oddysee series of games? Or whatever. Oddworld?
Yeah, I've had that bookmarked for a while. When I finally get my cat (Carl Perkins; not Carl, not Perkins, but Carl Perkins, as in "Carl Perkins, don't pee on that!"), I WILL teach it to defecate in my toilet.
You don't have the cat, but you have a name for it?
-
I think Mudukon is from the Oddysee series of games? Or whatever. Oddworld?
Yeah, I've had that bookmarked for a while. When I finally get my cat (Carl Perkins; not Carl, not Perkins, but Carl Perkins, as in "Carl Perkins, don't pee on that!"), I WILL teach it to defecate in my toilet.
You don't have the cat, but you have a name for it?
He thinks ahead.