The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: theinevitable on November 19, 2005, 11:07:27 am

Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: theinevitable on November 19, 2005, 11:07:27 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11182005

Hmm. Phillipe may not last long in the high-stakes world of publishing.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Golfhaus on November 19, 2005, 12:46:42 pm
Especially if he didn't go to Nice Pete's party after being invited.

He tries to cover up that look on his face in the picture, but I don't buy it. Franky is keeping him awake.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: oball on November 19, 2005, 02:44:55 pm
I just want to know: what will be done about all the stabbings?
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2005, 03:48:12 pm
Wow, that wasn't even a good Friday Facts.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: jough on November 19, 2005, 05:37:32 pm
It took all day and night to make that one, huh?

Wow.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Mantonio on November 19, 2005, 05:45:49 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It took all day and night to make that one, huh?

Wow.


Look, Onstad's a busy man. Do you think that rum is gonna drink itself?

I mean really.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: robot_god on November 19, 2005, 08:59:13 pm
Phillipe Times reignz.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Jixby Phillips on November 19, 2005, 09:30:51 pm
hey i liked it!
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2005, 11:20:33 pm
I can't be moved to care, really.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: rumpy doppelganger on November 19, 2005, 11:28:16 pm
this was a funny cartoon :)
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: misterqueue on November 20, 2005, 01:49:20 am
Haha.. Phillipe writes WORDS!  OMFG!!!


*vomits in mouth.. a little bit*
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: LCB on November 20, 2005, 02:01:09 am
I thought it was funny. I mean it's Friday, what more do you want from the man? He's got things to do. Places to go. Yet he still mangages to deliver, if not THE funny, then a laugh or two.  If you CAN'T see the humor in this Friday Facts [unjustly smug and condescending]perhaps you should try User Friendly or some furry comic, those might be webcomics more your speed.[/unjustly smug and condescending]
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: side_show on November 20, 2005, 02:42:49 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I can't be moved to care, really.


For some reason I imagine you saying this in a French accent with a glass of wine in one hand and a cig in a long filter/holder in the other.   Malaise et ennui!

I feel 'zee same way, mon amie!

Le sigh.

Le mew.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 20, 2005, 04:49:07 am
Friday facts brings the suck everytime. Especially when it can't be bothered to come on frikkin' Friday.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: MattFish on November 20, 2005, 05:29:11 am
Those keychain lasers totally seem like they put out way more heat than they actually do.

And what about all the stabbings?
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: antioch on November 20, 2005, 06:19:42 am
Yeah, the bold text was funny, as usual. But I found the whole thing a lil' rambly. I don't know. This Friday strip has me so confused.

To complete this thread: Mudokon must post only the word "Sucked."
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: mudokon on November 20, 2005, 07:54:11 am
Loved it!
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: MattFish on November 20, 2005, 04:08:05 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
To complete this thread: Mudokon must post only the word "Sucked."
Quote from: "mudokon"
Loved it!


DENIED
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: antioch on November 20, 2005, 07:45:32 pm
Heyo!

<sound of $.90 in change dispensing from slot machine>
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: JordanB on November 21, 2005, 12:07:49 am
Did anyone stop to wonder why Philippe isn't bothered
by the fact that the man who (for all we know)
took him to the Super-Secret Ice Cream Shop
with the intention of committing the murder act on him
is in the next room, muttering culinary advice?
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Factitious on November 21, 2005, 08:05:17 am
Because Nice Pete is nice.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Biz Markizzle on November 21, 2005, 03:48:52 pm
Damn you bitches are harsh on the Friday Fun Facts. I think they are all right basically and also they are better than no comic at all. Here is my problem with them though: it seems like a lot of the time certain sections assume a tone of voice that is not at all like Philippe. Sometimes the tone sounds more like Onstad himself than a five-year-old otter. Certain jokes or even topics entirely at too mature for Philippe.

IE, the caption to the Medicine Ball pictures and the Humphrey Bogart reference. There have been other and more flagrant examples in past FFFs.

I have noticed a similar problem sometimes (less so) in Philippe's blog. It's strange, because with the other characters Onstad seems so remarkably good at staying in character. Has this been noted by others?

Biz
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: side_show on November 21, 2005, 04:13:05 pm
"Biz Markizzle" - only with a handle like that could you get away with calling us all bitches.

Or maybe not.

I have to disagree with you on the Philippe thing.  Many five year olds do the "talking like an adult thing," and it is always cute and funny.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: V-Adore on November 21, 2005, 04:15:04 pm
Let it be noted by the not-an-admin-right-now-but-will-be-again-in-a-few-days-right,-Jough?: starting a post by complaining about "you bitches" does not get things off on the right foot, as it were.

That said, yeah, I have to agree with side_show that it's typical for a five-year-old and sort of cute when Philippe attempts to write like a grown-up.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Biz Markizzle on November 21, 2005, 04:20:32 pm
Oh, is this board "kid friendly"? I am new here but read through some previous posts and it seems to very much not be. But I am not attached to cussin' so I will avoid if children are present...
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: arkabee on November 21, 2005, 04:28:30 pm
Quote from: "Biz Markizzle"
Oh, is this board "kid friendly"? I am new here but read through some previous posts and it seems to very much not be. But I am not attached to cussin' so I will avoid if children are present...


i think they thought you were saying "bitches" instead of "bitches".

i'm waiting for the day when someone attempts to coopt the meaning of "liturgical".
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: side_show on November 21, 2005, 04:30:23 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Let it be noted by the not-an-admin-right-now-but-will-be-again-in-a-few-days-right,-Jough?: starting a post by complaining about "you bitches" does not get things off on the right foot, as it were.


Yeah, but I have to admit, that I kind of assumed calling us all bitches was hopefully a joke.  You know, the way Snoopy Doggy Dog would call you and I bitches and not mean anything by it?

Was it a joke Biz Markizzle?  Say yes you you want us to be your ho's okay?

And shiiiit no!  This is is not a kid friendly board you fug-ugly mo-fo.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Biz Markizzle on November 21, 2005, 04:36:58 pm
Oh, I see, so V-Adore was displeased not because of the cussin' itself but because he/she felt personally attacked. That did not occur to me. Of course I was joking and meant no harm. I did not realize it was ambiguous.  

My first post and I already upset someone. This is sort of like when Roast Beef was immediately arrested. Hmm how do I make a link is it like this:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11272002
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: V-Adore on November 21, 2005, 04:51:12 pm
I was (mostly) kidding. I'm just saying that throwing around insults is generally best saved for the post-Scrambles period, where our first reaction is laughter and not "oh, jesus, is this like those guys calling me history's worst criminal? Again?"

Making a link is pretty simple. You do it like this:

(url=http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11272002)Roast Beef is terrified of arrest(/url)

Except with brackets instead of parentheses.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 21, 2005, 05:44:50 pm
Quote from: "sizzlefizzle"


My first post and I already upset someone. This is sort of like when Roast Beef was immediately arrested. Hmm how do I make a link is it like this:


That's not even close to being a unique situation.

People do that all the time. You get one or two chances and after that, it's a pig pile.

Quote from: "ShizzleHizzle"
Oh, is this board "kid friendly"? I am new here but read through some previous posts and it seems to very much not be. But I am not attached to cussin' so I will avoid if children are present...


Just be yourself. We'll let you know if that's not good enough. Look back in the posts and you'll find about three instances in the recent past.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Biz Markizzle on November 21, 2005, 06:02:59 pm
It was just a classic InterWeb misunderstanding. I think V-Adore and I are both ready to move on without further analysis. I look forward to nitpicking line drawings and otherwise wasting time with all of you.

Re: my original comment, do you really think a five-year old, especially one such as Philippe, would really write those captions for the medicine ball pictures? I agree kids mimicking adults is cute and happens, but a five year old mimicking this kind of adult humor doesn't ring as true to me. It's just so dry. I mean, Philippe is precocious for sure, but like all five year olds, Philippe is really dumb, and I've never witnessed a kid that young making a connection such as, "the tone of this written sentence reminds me of Humphrey Bogart."

But I don't personally have children. Am I wrong about how smart five year olds are?
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 21, 2005, 06:40:23 pm
Mine's pretty smart but she certainly wouldn't know from Humprey Bogart.

That said, my disdain for the Phillippe Times is enough that actually criticizing the content would be a waste of time.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: jough on November 21, 2005, 09:33:05 pm
No, HizzleFizzleFiddleFaddle, I'm with you on that one.  The Philippe Times is definitely more in an adult Onstad's voice than a 5 year old otter's, but then I read back over the sentence I'm in the midst of typing and notice how ridiculous it all sounds.

This is one of those things that just doesn't work, but Onstad keeps plodding through trying to find the funny, like an SNL sketch or an issue of McSweeney's.  Sometimes artists can be stubborn and not just accept when things just plain don't work.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Golfhaus on November 21, 2005, 09:59:51 pm
Doesn't Roast Beef write for the Phillipe Times on occasion? Maybe he helps the little guy out with the hard stuff.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Bozack on November 21, 2005, 10:22:57 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
...it's a pig pile.


SQUEEEAAAALL LIKE A PIG!

Anyway, yeah, middling comics. Hi, Biz, I really, really hope that you are the real Biz Markie. If you are, your latest album, "Weekend Warrior," was really good.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 21, 2005, 10:33:43 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
...it's a pig pile.


SQUEEEAAAALL LIKE A PIG!

Anyway, yeah, middling comics. Hi, Biz, I really, really hope that you are the real Biz Markie. If you are, your latest album, "Weekend Warrior," was really good.


If you are not, in fact, the Real Biz, then your latest album sucked.  Sorry to be the one to tell you.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Biz Markizzle on November 22, 2005, 03:09:29 pm
Um yes I am obviously the real Biz Markie. I thought this was obvious on account of my posts have extreme flow. Also obvious, however, is that Biz Markizzle is the name I use when I want to conceal my real identity. Please try and respect that Bozack. But thank you for the compliment on my album. Many people love it. It has sold literally ones of copies.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 22, 2005, 03:33:25 pm
Quote from: "Biz Markizzle"
Um yes I am obviously the real Biz Markie. I thought this was obvious on account of my posts have extreme flow. Also obvious, however, is that Biz Markizzle is the name I use when I want to conceal my real identity. Please try and respect that Bozack. But thank you for the compliment on my album. Many people love it. It has sold literally ones of copies.


Thread winner.
Title: 11/18/2005 --(sorry to have an ego)
Post by: Golfhaus on November 23, 2005, 12:57:02 am
I second that - and the fact he has managed this while still in Scrambles gives me hope for the nation.