The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Emmoh on November 21, 2005, 09:35:51 am

Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Emmoh on November 21, 2005, 09:35:51 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11212005

My first ever...yay.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: git on November 21, 2005, 10:08:28 am
Seems like Showbiz should have paid more attention when they were teaching you how to read analog clocks.

And...it's November 21, not 19...
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Lister on November 21, 2005, 10:33:51 am
Points to Roast Beef for a successful "teenage girl reading Tiger Beat" pose.

The moustachio'd cat's surprise, dismay, anger, and then disappointment did not make me laugh at him or feel sorry for him.

good comic but not A+++++++ would read again anyway
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Ben-San on November 21, 2005, 11:04:06 am
That is some crazy perspective on Roast Beef's prone body.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Doc on November 21, 2005, 11:28:41 am
With the mustache and the overly exaggerated snap Showbiz kind of looks to me like a villian in an old black and white melodrama (melodrama, is that right? I know nothing of theatre or roping maidens to train tracks).
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: V-Adore on November 21, 2005, 01:22:35 pm
The rendering of the clock from Showbiz's perspective ("6?") makes this entire strip. It's a good example of an inspired visual redeeming an otherwise tired gag.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: CortJstr on November 21, 2005, 02:09:00 pm
That is a damned fine expression on Showbiz at the end there.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 21, 2005, 02:51:18 pm
Overheard in grocery store a while back:

Little boy:  Mom, what time is it?
Mom:  Well, the big hand is on the two, and the little hand...
Boy:  Mooooooooooooooooom, you know I can't do thaaaaaaaat!

A future Showbiz in the making.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: side_show on November 21, 2005, 04:02:39 pm
Oh, I remember a really anxiety filled time in grade three when I had to stay in for recess because I was getting over Pneumonia, and my teacher, who was a nun, whose name escapes me right now, told me to tell her when it was "quarter after two."  I told her okay, but then I secretly freaked out because I didn't know what the hell she was talking about.  She came back into the classroom and was all, "I thought I told you to tell me when it was quarter-after!"  And I was humiliated and had to confess I didn't know what "quarter-after" meant.  I still have time telling paranioa to this day, and always wear a digital watch or no watch at all because of it.  Damn you Sister Whatever-you-name-was!  Damn you!
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Emergent_C on November 21, 2005, 07:41:15 pm
I feel ya, side show. I could read at a 4th grade level when I was in 1st grade, but seriously got flunked out of my British school (we were living in Singapore at the time) because I couldn't tell time or tie my shoes. Dang.

Then, of course, I transferred to an American school, and they didn't really care that I still hadn't learned how to tie my shoes or read an analog clock by 3rd grade. Uh, well, I can do both things really well now.

In conclusion, "What's long, stiff, and lives in a furry black cave when not in use?" if fuck*ng funny. Or maybe I'm 5.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on November 21, 2005, 08:32:24 pm
Oh man, it's sad but I wear an analog watch and sometimes I'll look the watch for a good 3 seconds then pull out my cell phone and check the time with that. I can tell time with those silly hands but sometimes I'm just to lazy/tired to do it.

Interesting piece of info: The shortest hand is called the First Hand, the long hand is called the Second Hand, and the optional fast moving skinny hand is called the Sweep Hand. Most people don't know this.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 21, 2005, 09:05:28 pm
Quote from: "Emergent_C"
I feel ya, side show. I could read at a 4th grade level when I was in 1st grade, but seriously got flunked out of my British school (we were living in Singapore at the time) because I couldn't tell time or tie my shoes. Dang.


You're going to be a little office boy making 50 pounds a month! Or something.

Is there some dyslexia going on in this strip, or is it just confusion?
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Factitious on November 21, 2005, 10:15:27 pm
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"

Interesting piece of info: The shortest hand is called the First Hand, the long hand is called the Second Hand, and the optional fast moving skinny hand is called the Sweep Hand. Most people don't know this.


Shouldn't the second hand be the one that indicates the seconds?
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: mrchee on November 21, 2005, 10:30:55 pm
Quote from: "Factitious"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"

Interesting piece of info: The shortest hand is called the First Hand, the long hand is called the Second Hand, and the optional fast moving skinny hand is called the Sweep Hand. Most people don't know this.


Shouldn't the second hand be the one that indicates the seconds?


You must remember that there is nothing that makes sense about analog clocks.  Nothing
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 21, 2005, 10:35:23 pm
Quote from: "mrchee"

You must remember that there is nothing that makes sense about analog clocks.  Nothing


Particularly when the "sweep" hand only really "sweeps" on your more-expensive watches.  Your typical Swatch will tick.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Bozack on November 21, 2005, 11:08:01 pm
Quote from: "Turbo Ninja"
Particularly when the "sweep" hand only really "sweeps" on your more-expensive watches.  Your typical Swatch will tick.


I don't think that the guy who sent in the "sweep hand" entry to the Encyclopedia Britannica was wearing a Swatch. I think that he might exist in an alternate, bourbon-tinted universe where Swatches don't exist and everyone wears a monocle.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on November 21, 2005, 11:26:46 pm
Oh, did I fail again? Hahah, yeah I was just post from memory and didn't check my facts when posting about that whole sweep hand thing. I thought the name "Sweep Hand" stuck and still applies to the third hand on any watch. but I could be very wrong.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Hobot on November 21, 2005, 11:57:36 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
. . . an alternate, bourbon-tinted universe where Swatches don't exist and everyone wears a monocle.


Also: muttonchops.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 22, 2005, 12:06:21 am
Quote from: "Hobot"
Quote from: "Bozack"
. . . an alternate, bourbon-tinted universe where Swatches don't exist and everyone wears a monocle.


Also: muttonchops.


And colored servant boys who call you Bwana and hand you your elephant gun!
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: pmcd9 on November 22, 2005, 04:23:54 am
I guess being an older guy here finally works to my advantage.  I was well into my 20's or so before the digital watch came into widespread usage, so yeah reading an analog watch is second nature to me.  My only problem reading the watch now is my failing eyesight.  Weeps...

~Paul
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Bozack on November 22, 2005, 06:16:18 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
...And colored servant boys who call you Bwana and hand you your elephant gun!


Quote from: "Futurama"
Remember when certain people weren't allowed on golf courses? Pepperidge Farms does!
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: nationwide on November 22, 2005, 11:04:06 am
Quote from: "Futurama"
Remember when certain people weren't allowed on golf courses? Pepperidge Farms does!


Quote from: "MST3K"
er ah we were there first but that is a good reference
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Bozack on November 22, 2005, 12:26:36 pm
Was that from Futurama or MST3K? I seriously can't remember.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: mudokon on November 22, 2005, 12:36:05 pm
Futurama. That specific quote, anyhow.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on November 22, 2005, 01:46:32 pm
I'm going to agree with you, it was from a commercial on Futurama. I think they had a part about women voting too something like, "Do you remember a time when women couldn't vote and certain folks weren't allowed on golf courses?" Hell maybe it was on MST3K or something first but I don't remember it!
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: oball on November 22, 2005, 01:58:00 pm
Yep, Futurama.  Season 1, Episode 6, "A giraffeful Of Dollars".

Quote
Fry: Now for some good old 20th century TV.

[He puts a video tape into the VCR.]

Announcer [on tape]: Do you remember a time when chocolate chip cookies came fresh from the oven? Petridge Farm remembers.

Fry: Oh, those were the days.

Announcer [on tape]: Do you remember a time when women couldn't vote, and certain folk weren't allowed on golf courses? Petridge Farm remembers.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 22, 2005, 02:06:07 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I guess being an older guy here finally works to my advantage.  I was well into my 20's or so before the digital watch came into widespread usage, so yeah reading an analog watch is second nature to me.


I think it's second nature to a lot of young people. The ones who passed their elementary school math. Or at least that portion of it.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: arkabee on November 22, 2005, 02:26:30 pm
there are a lot of waches "designed" by people with "degrees" that are impossible to read.

"hey boss, this watch that jack designed is unreadable!  give me his promotion instead!"

"timmy, wf!? you are fired!  Tina, get me jack!  Jack, yes, brilliant, can you make it SPARKLIER!?!?"

the problem with free market theory is that, if true, it basically proves without a shadow of a doubt that humanity is a fuck*ng moron.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2005, 02:34:59 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
there are a lot of waches "designed" by people with "degrees" that are impossible to read.

"hey boss, this watch that jack designed is unreadable!  give me his promotion instead!"

"timmy, wf!? you are fired!  Tina, get me jack!  Jack, yes, brilliant, can you make it SPARKLIER!?!?"

the problem with free market theory is that, if true, it basically proves without a shadow of a doubt that humanity is a fuck*ng moron.

Un-fuck*ng-topable (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/7d2b/)

The whole category (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/) is pretty messed up but that one is quite possibly the least readable timepiece ever.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: V-Adore on November 22, 2005, 03:23:23 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "arkabee"
there are a lot of waches "designed" by people with "degrees" that are impossible to read.

"hey boss, this watch that jack designed is unreadable!  give me his promotion instead!"

"timmy, wf!? you are fired!  Tina, get me jack!  Jack, yes, brilliant, can you make it SPARKLIER!?!?"

the problem with free market theory is that, if true, it basically proves without a shadow of a doubt that humanity is a fuck*ng moron.

Un-fuck*ng-topable (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/7d2b/)

The whole category (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/) is pretty messed up but that one is quite possibly the least readable timepiece ever.

I think I know what I'm getting my History-major, walks-around-campus-in-a-hat-with-a-feather, wears-a-cape friend for Christmas. If it wasn't so humongoexpensive, that is...
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Hobot on November 22, 2005, 03:46:10 pm
That is an impressive fuck*ng timepiece.

I have dark memories of trying to make sense of a trigonometric clock (http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/90610/2/Trig_Clock.jpg) in math class.  Sure, the equations are in the right place to correspond to the usual numbers, but seeing pi on a clock can really throw you off.
Title: 11/21/2005 - Showbiz versus the timepiece
Post by: Hobot on November 22, 2005, 03:56:07 pm
I think my favourite part of this strip is that the clock says "NO."  Showbiz knows that he's not doing something right with regard to telling time, and his humiliation manifests itself on the clock's face.

Another possibility is that "NO." stands for "Number," which would also make sense, but wouldn't be as funny.  I prefer to think of it as a physical declaration of Showbiz's clock-reading ignorance.