The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on November 21, 2005, 10:45:20 pm

Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 21, 2005, 10:45:20 pm
OK, so since I live in this insane place, I probably should make it useful to you all.

If anyone wants some bizarro tropical tscocthkes for stocking stuffers, etc. let me know what you want and I'll both buy it and mail to you at cost.

It's the least I can do for the likes of y'all. Here are some ideas:

Tropical Santa items - ornaments, decorations, etc
Authentic Aloha Shirts, particularly Christmas Themed ones

Food items: Lilikoi (Pasionfruit) Syrup, breakfast kits including Taro pancakes, coconut syrup, etc.
Macadamia nuts/Macadamia nut oil

Touristy tscotchkes inlcuiding puka shells, shark teeth necklaces, copra items, baskets, silly things made from coconuts, key chains, t-shirts, board shorts, etc.

Hawaii themed Christmas Cards


PM Me or post in this forum - or e-mail requests to JNehal(at)Hawaii.rr.com
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: CortJstr on November 21, 2005, 11:37:11 pm
I could potentially be interested in macadamia nuts for my grandma. Also, chocolate covered ones.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 21, 2005, 11:42:32 pm
I can send you Garlic and Onion Macadamie nuts! No kidding, and they are surprisngly good.

I'll post some photos and prices for you.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: wombat on November 22, 2005, 02:24:10 am
What are taro pancakes like?  Are they purple?
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 30, 2005, 12:09:24 am
They are purple. Also popular here is taro bread, taro muffins, deep fried taro mochi, and other stuff too.

I have PM requests from two folks so far, so others let me know. I can get some pretty fun stuff out to you so act now.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on November 30, 2005, 01:30:32 am
What about some volcanic rocks? Can you sneak me out some of those? Also will the curse be on you, me or the pilot of the mail plane?
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: robot_roll_call on November 30, 2005, 04:57:46 am
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
What about some volcanic rocks? Can you sneak me out some of those? Also will the curse be on you, me or the pilot of the mail plane?


I think that just applies to Tiki idols you find in caves.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2005, 01:58:33 pm
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
What about some volcanic rocks? Can you sneak me out some of those? Also will the curse be on you, me or the pilot of the mail plane?

I think that just applies to Tiki idols you find in caves.

I think he meant this (http://www.snopes.com/luck/pele.asp). But Tiki Gods are bad news too. Didn't you see that Brady Bunch about them? Or hear the PotUSA songs based on that episode?
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: V-Adore on November 30, 2005, 04:43:01 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
What about some volcanic rocks? Can you sneak me out some of those? Also will the curse be on you, me or the pilot of the mail plane?

I think that just applies to Tiki idols you find in caves.

I think he meant this (http://www.snopes.com/luck/pele.asp). But Tiki Gods are bad news too. Didn't you see that Brady Bunch about them? Or hear the PotUSA songs based on that episode?

Oh, THANK YOU, Cort. That's an earworm I needed.

Bobby Brady found an idol in the rubble
Had no idea it'd cause so much trouble...
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2005, 06:04:35 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
What about some volcanic rocks? Can you sneak me out some of those? Also will the curse be on you, me or the pilot of the mail plane?

I think that just applies to Tiki idols you find in caves.

I think he meant this (http://www.snopes.com/luck/pele.asp). But Tiki Gods are bad news too. Didn't you see that Brady Bunch about them? Or hear the PotUSA songs based on that episode?

Oh, THANK YOU, Cort. That's an earworm I needed.

Bobby Brady found an idol in the rubble
Had no idea it'd cause so much trouble...

But which specific version is lodged in your brain? Tiki God or Tiki Lounge God?
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: V-Adore on November 30, 2005, 06:12:38 pm
The regular ol' Tiki God.  I don't know the other one, thank God (npi).
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2005, 07:34:29 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
The regular ol' Tiki God.  I don't know the other one, thank God (npi).

Same band, same song (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000062IL/qid=1133379221/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-1532930-1389643?v=glance&s=music&n=507846), but done in a Lounge Singer style.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: Beatrice on December 01, 2005, 04:49:46 pm
TIKI GOD! Why you make me shake you make me shiver? ALRIGHT!







god it's stuck in mine now toooooo!
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 05, 2005, 09:20:52 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "*****_roll_call"
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
What about some volcanic rocks? Can you sneak me out some of those? Also will the curse be on you, me or the pilot of the mail plane?

I think that just applies to Tiki idols you find in caves.

I think he meant this (http://www.snopes.com/luck/pele.asp). But Tiki Gods are bad news too. Didn't you see that Brady Bunch about them? Or hear the PotUSA songs based on that episode?


People have actually mailed black sand <Back> to Hawaii because all kinds of bad mojo befell them when they removed some.

We have some, but we have it on local authority that you are allowed to keep any that accidentally gets in your watershoes without the fell repercussions. Plus, we haven't left Hawaii with it.

Lava Rock Stories (http://www.volcanogallery.com/lavarock.html)



So, back on task: I am packaging up two holiday orders. I am willing to shop for more of you. Post or PM if you are wanting anything from the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: wombat on December 06, 2005, 12:19:28 am
Um well I guess I'm really intrigued by the purple taro pancakes.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 06, 2005, 12:57:18 am
They're no good without Lilikoi, coconut or guava syrup.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: wombat on December 06, 2005, 02:58:12 am
What is Lillikoi?  Oh wait, that's why we have Google...  a kind of passionfruit.

Hmm, well do any of those things come in a mailable plastic bottle?  Or should I go out to a Central American market and see if they have guava syrup?  How about melted guava jam?

Edit:  Or maybe you should just send the pancakes and I should buy practically everything they sell on this website: http://www.auntylilikoi.com/
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: miles on December 06, 2005, 03:29:19 am
Hey Dawg--you know those prunes that are dried and salty with liquorice spice on them?  What are those called?  I fuck*ng love those.  If there's still time, I might put in an order for a bunch of those.  Most people I know hate them, so when I use them as stucking stuffers, I'll get them back.

My friend just got back from Maui, and forgot them.  My aunt and uncle got back a month ago and brought them though.

I had a Hawaiian friend who was constantly making me sample all sorts of snacks and I concluded that Hawaii has the best fuck*ng snacks ever.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2005, 03:34:11 am
Quote from: "miles"
I had a Hawaiian friend who was constantly making me sample all sorts of snacks and I concluded that Hawaii has the best fuck*ng snacks ever.


In that case i'll have some snacks.  Send me the bill Dawg.

BTW Dawg, you were commenting on my mixtape a while back and so I ripped some mp3's for you, but you never got back with me.  I never sent a follow up to see if my letter was possibly never recieved.

~Paul
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: miles on December 06, 2005, 03:45:56 am
Man, this (http://www.wailana.com/lifestyle/recipes/recipe.php?id=51) sounds really tasty.  I may have to spring for some taro pancake mix and make this Christmas morning for the family.  Whoa, it looks like you make them from scratch?  I think I can manage with the mix.

All this food talk is making me hungry.  And I was eating so healthily this week so far.  Time to go hit up the sisters' fridge.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 12, 2005, 07:54:27 pm
This (http://www.tropicislemusic.com/food/poi3.htm) is the brand of Taro Pancake Mix I've bought to mail out. Complete with Cocounut or Lilikoi Syrup to seal the deal. I get it at Longs.  !!

I have 4 orders: you know who you are. If you haven't PM'd me shipping info please do so.

There are bonus items (tchotchkes) as a thanks for playing. You will receive endless Christmas Joy from them.

I'm a try to ship this stuff tomorrow. Sorry about the slowness.

For the rest of you: a typical breakfast item here is fried rice. More accurately, Local Kine Fried Rice.

Here's how I make it.

1 can of spam, cubed into small dice (Spam with Bacon is quite good)
Portuguese Sausage
Carrots (cubed)
Peas
Green onions, sliced including some green tops
Diced yellow or sweet red onion
1-2 scrambled eggs
Cold Cooked white rice (sticky rice is common here)


Bottle of Shoyu ( a sweet soy sauce)
Bottle of sesame oil
Bottle of Oyster Sauce
Some vegetable oil

Heat up the oil in your wok. Throw in the sausage, onions and carrots. Toss it all in the hot oil a couple seconds, throw the spam in there too.

When the carrots are softened a little and the onion a little caramelized, turn the rice in and start mixing mixing mixing. Keep tossing it and when all the stuff is mixws together, throw in the eggs and the peas. Mix some more, not letting the bottom burn.

Add Shoyu, Oyseter Sauce and a smaller amount of sesame oil and toss over heat a few seconds.

Eat. For real Culinary excitement, put a big scoop of fried rice in a bowl. Top with a hamburger patty or a slice or two of meatloaf. Top with some pan-fried onions, a ladle or two of brown gravy and a fried egg.

This is called Loco Moco. It'll kill you but you will love every second of it.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2005, 08:31:45 pm
Oh I guess I never pm'd you, is it too late?

~Paul
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 12, 2005, 08:35:34 pm
It is not too late! Do please order.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: wombat on December 12, 2005, 09:03:24 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

(Spam with Bacon is quite good)



OMG.  I can't believe this really exists.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 12, 2005, 10:33:37 pm
Half an aisle of the grocery store here is Spam products of many kinds.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: sjlimmer on December 13, 2005, 12:00:19 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Portuguese Sausage


God I miss linguica, can't find it anywhere out here in the back woods.  This recipie (as all of yours) sounds tasty, but I do believe that Loco Moco would kill me dead.
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: AugustWest on December 13, 2005, 01:41:06 am
I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

/Graham Chapman
Title: Holiday Orders
Post by: pmcd9 on December 13, 2005, 04:29:41 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I DON'T LIKE SPAM!!!

But it's so good with eggs.

~Paul
Title: Re: Holiday Orders
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 27, 2005, 06:33:30 pm
As far as I know, all holiday orders were received. The grand experiment worked, and all the stuff arrived before Christmas, if <just> before in some cases (how stuff can take 3 days longer to get to Philly than DC is beyond me, though)

So anyhow, those of you who missed out on the fun excitment of Mele Kalikimaka edibles and tschochkes, PM me and I'll see what we can do. Offer expires new years day (unless you ask hella nicely).

Title: Re: Holiday Orders
Post by: wombat on January 05, 2006, 02:27:09 am
Here is a little ray of Hawaii sunshine on a cold gray Mid-Atlantic day, courtesy of AlohaDawg:
Taro pancakes (they really are purplish inside) with lillikoi (passionfruit) syrup and macadamia nuts, presided over by Santa with his palm tree, entertained by Kogepan on the ukelele.

www.rebsig.com/kogepan/poi.jpg (http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/poi.jpg)