The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 05:06:20 pm

Title: New board format issues.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 05:06:20 pm
I'm having problems getting HTML to work.  Am I missing a step?  For instance: <a href="http://www.achewood.com">this[/url] should come up as a link, but doesn't.  

Save me!
Title: New board format issues.
Post by: Jugwine on August 01, 2003, 05:32:08 pm
For now, try this instead:  
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.achewood.com]this[/url]

If I understand correctly, html can be turned off at the administrator level.  Apparently you can pick and choose what tags are allowed.  I've never administered a phpBB before, though, so I don't know how you'd go about doing it...
Title: New board format issues.
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 06:24:37 pm
Aha.  I had to add the "a" tag to the list of allowed tags -- it wasn't the default.  Thanks for the tip.

Test: Dumbrella

Edit: Yay, it worked!  But not retroactively.
Title: New board format issues.
Post by: slink on August 01, 2003, 06:26:54 pm
Yep it's in the admin board.
It may as simple as adding ,a, to the list of allowed tags. Certianly ought to be.
Title: New board format issues.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 04:39:27 am
Unfortunately, it's not that simple.

I just removed the 'a' tag from the list of acceptable tags.  There's a perfectly useable equivalent that doesn't allow people to add javascript attributes.

If you've ever tried to read a post and have been automatically re-directed to a porn site, you'd know why it's a good idea to only allow tags which don't accept attributes, like bold, italics, and preformatted text.

Usually I turn off HTML on message boards entirely, especialy for a board like this one that has its own easy way of specifying links, fonts, colours, sizes, etc.

There's only a minor learning curve to use the phpBB code, and the little buttons help.

-- Jough
Title: New board format issues.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 04:53:23 am
Good call, I didn't think about the javascript attribute angle.  Wow, I'm glad I have a "pro" to help me out with this stuff...I am humbled.  Truly.
Title: New board format issues.
Post by: jough on August 02, 2003, 06:56:09 pm
Basically you shouldn't add html elements to the list just because someone asks you to.  It's like someone saying "Do you mind holding this stick of dynamite for me while I run over there?  Oh yeah, and when you can't see me any more, be a dear and just light the end of this fuse, would you?"

Okay, it's nothing like that.  But it's still not a good idea.

I was thinking of removing the HTML module from the backend.  That would mean that no one could use HTML anywhere in any posts.

But I think it's convenient to let people bold and italicise stuff that way.

So that's the gist.
Title: New board format issues.
Post by: jay-ell on August 02, 2003, 06:59:02 pm
Yes, I see now.  I've just gotten so accustomed to using HTML that UBB code annoys me.  I'll let you take care of the codey-stuff.