The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: slink on August 31, 2003, 04:48:46 am
-
OK, the difference over the old one I used, and posted somewhere in here (Stroganoff I think!?!?) is that this is the Catalan version.
OK - take a French stick, and slice.
Then take 1 large tomato for every 8 slices of bread or so (hey, experiment! The Spanish are pretty laid back and all) and a half clove of raw garlic for every tomato, and blend (whizz the buggers!). Then spread over the slices of bread. Then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
This way, it's way more tomato-ey, and the garlic kicks through nicer, sweetens the tomato slightly.
Also with the bread not being grilled first, you get the crust as a far better texture, then the soft bread absorbing some of the tomato-ey flavoury goodness!
-
three words:
ta. bas. co.
-
my mom makes this, but she also adds cubed bits of mozzarella into it, and it makes it extra super.
-
This sounds, no offense, like the worst bruschetta recipe ever.
Where are the spices? The olives? What, in the oil? Please. Here's a bruschetta recipe that will take your heart like a fifteenth-century French virgin princess:
1 loaf of cuban bread, sliced on the diagonal every 1/4 inch
1 cup shredded mozzarella
12 Plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 pound Taggiasca olives, pitted and quartered
1 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 oz. fresh basil, or 4 oz. dried
6 oz. fresh oregano, or 4 oz. dried
Toast one side of the bread, brushed with 1 Tbsp of the oil (Use your oven's broiler; toaster oven is OK; toaster is out of the question.); turn, top with cheese, and let sit. Dice tomatoes, quarter olives, and mince fresh or mortice & pestle dried herbs, half of which are to be added to the remaining 2 Tbsp oil. Mix tomatoes and remaining herbs, and toast cheesed side of bread. Serve in multi-part platter or bowl bread, olives, tomatoes, and herbed oil, each in separate compartments. To consume: lightly brush cheese with oil, then spread pesto and spoon herbed tomato on top.
Your guests' knees will buckle.
-
Choop, that sounds so great. But, could we not be mean about each other's recipes, the internet is already a cruel enough place as it is, and it makes me want to go out and try both recipes and research the entire history of bruschetta to try to prove that you both are right, and I don't have the dang time right now.
I now wait in terror to see if this comment is going to cause the resurrection of Nice Jough. If so I apologize in advance. Honestly, most people consider me quite nasty in real life, I have no idea what comes over me on-line.
-
Everyone, ALL recipies posted sure do sound delicious.
I say we try them all, then hold hands and sing songs together, like kermit the frog singing "The Rainbow Connection."
Someday, we'll find iiiiiiiit... the rain-bow, connectiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiion, the lovers, the dreamers, and meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
-
DIE, NICE JOUGH, OF A THOUSAND PAINFUL MONKEY BITES!!!!
-
DIE, NICE JOUGH, OF A THOUSAND PAINFUL MONKEY BITES!!!!
You may be evil, but your avatar = rockin'
-
Tragically, in real life he's a very nice monkey who hardly ever bites anyone at all. Evil Wombat's a total faker.
-
take a French stick, and slice.
Although I've never heard of this term before, I have to assume it referes to what I would call a bagette? I actually like that "a French stick," Both my parent's are French Canadian and would be highly annoyed if I called it that. Nice.
Here's my totally kick ass Bruchetta recipie - it's a little more work than some other recipies like it, but it's definitly worth it.
Ingredients:
6 fresh Roma tomatoes diced
1 large white onion diced
1 banana pepper diced (optional)
2 large garlic cloves coursly chopped
1/4 cup fresh oregano finely chopped and loosely packed
1/2 cup grate parmasean cheese
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
salt a pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Dice tomatoes and drain - get as much moisture out of the tomatoes as possible - press with a cheese cloth or paper towel to extract further moisture. Set aside. Melt butter to coat a frying pan over med. heat, add garlic simmer until slightly browned. Remove garlic and set aside leaving behind as much liquid butter as possible in the pan. Add onion (and optional pepper if desired). Simmer until onion pieces become semi-transparent and lightly browned. Remove from heat. Combine onion and all ingredients other in a large bowl.
For hor's d'oevres sized bruchetta slice 2 baguettes, making sure to slice the pieces thick enough to absorb moisture released during cooking slightly over 1/2 and inch works well. Arrange rounds on cookie sheet and place a generous sized spoon full of tomatoe mixture
Place in oven and bake for around 10-15 mins - setting the oven to broil fot he last minute will result in crispier bread.
For larger bruchettas use two regular sized crusty loafs - in this case cook for a little longer to ensure the whole bruchetta is heated thru.
-
French Canadian is pretty harsh sounding if you're used to hearing French. My friend from Bordeaux likened it to people from the city here hearing hicks from the boonies speak.
They look down upon the French Canadians as being hick-like and uncultured, but not as much as they do the Cajun Creoles down in Lousiana - those people are just sub-human sounding to the French.
That said, I think the bruchetta is an Italian thing. The French like their big sticks plain, or with really stinky cheese.
-
My french is french-canadian, and although I'd love to go to France someday, I'd be terrified to speak to anyone, since the differences are pretty pronounced and I'd probably get beaten up, or at least scoffed at with that trademark French contempt.
-
Yeah, and bruschetta's good too!
-
I just like big...sticks.
-
I just like big...sticks.
My kinda girl.