The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on November 22, 2005, 06:52:24 pm

Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: CortJstr on November 22, 2005, 06:52:24 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11222005

Enough with the cat crothes already. And this time there was bunching and shaking that I just didn't need to see. I don't think Showbiz ever moved his right hand.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Biz Markizzle on November 22, 2005, 07:07:11 pm
This comic is all right, it gave me a smile, but I have basically gotten the point that Showbiz is capable of producing gestures that are amusing. He fake-shoots, he cocks his fake-gun and fake-shoots, he snaps his fingers dejectedly, he does...the thing he is doing in this comic. I would not mind if we went to a different storyline for a week or so and then came back to this and then he can give a peace sign or learn sign language from Liebot. I will be ready for more gestures by then.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on November 22, 2005, 07:08:33 pm
Yeah cat crotches aren't the best sight, but still that forth panel made me laugh hard. You just have to ask the question why is he doing this? What would posses showbiz to grab his junk and shake it? I think it makes it all the more funny.

Before Roastbeef mentioned the gum I thought Showbiz was doing a Marlon Brando impression with his face. An older Marlon Brando mind you. I think the cheeks did it.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 22, 2005, 07:23:28 pm
Now when I smell something bad, I will think about what it smells like to ride the bus and wonder if riding the bus smells better, worse, or about the same as whatever I'm smelling.

I was in Manhattan last weekend and the whole of Midtown smells like hot dog carts and the steam that leaks from the ConEd manholes.  I bet riding the bus in Manhattan smells even worse than that, because it's not like the MTA has their buses all sealed up (thank god) so some of that urban aroma has got to waft its way up in there.

Cleveland also smells bad, but I think we've discussed that already.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: wombat on November 22, 2005, 11:44:20 pm
The story is losing me here...  Like I thought I got it how Showbiz is a kind of person who comes from Circumstances and I thought that it was the saddest thing that he couldn't tell time.  But would even a dude of this nature greet his brother's girlfriend in this way?
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Skillator on November 22, 2005, 11:59:39 pm
If the funny appeared in this strip I don't know where it was. It totally walked right past me with a fake mustache on and I missed it.

That said, anytime you can relate something to the smell on a bus, you have done well.

New insult inspired from todays strip: You smell like you took the bus.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on November 22, 2005, 11:59:47 pm
I saw it as he just happened to be doing that as they walked in. I don't know that he did it because of Molly. Like he shoots his finger thing and holds it for 5 frames. He grabed his crotch and shook it and they walked in and he forgot he was doing it.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: robot_god on November 23, 2005, 12:01:27 am
Quote from: "wombat"
The story is losing me here...  Like I thought I got it how Showbiz is a kind of person who comes from Circumstances and I thought that it was the saddest thing that he couldn't tell time.  But would even a dude of this nature greet his brother's girlfriend in this way?


I'd bet that the gum will be the catalyst for Beef to let loose.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Paisley on November 23, 2005, 12:18:11 am
Microanalysis ahead:

So, Molly starts out on Beef's right in frame 6, and then schooched behind him by frame 8? She doesn't quite have that look of disgusted horror that I'd expect, in any case, or maybe she's just trying to be polite.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2005, 01:40:45 am
Quote from: "Paisley"
Microanalysis ahead:

So, Molly starts out on Beef's right in frame 6, and then schooched behind him by frame 8? She doesn't quite have that look of disgusted horror that I'd expect, in any case, or maybe she's just trying to be polite.

I'm going for stunned
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: rumpy doppelganger on November 23, 2005, 04:10:04 am
Quote from: "Skillator"
If the funny appeared in this strip I don't know where it was. It totally walked right past me with a fake mustache on and I missed it.


what

this strip is the funniest thing i have seen in .. days
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: pmcd9 on November 23, 2005, 04:47:17 am
I know this dude (Showbiz).  In my world he's known as Albert.

(http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN3962-E-600.jpg)

~Paul
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 23, 2005, 04:55:36 am
Quote from: "rumpy doppelganger"
Quote from: "Skillator"
If the funny appeared in this strip I don't know where it was. It totally walked right past me with a fake mustache on and I missed it.


what

this strip is the funniest thing i have seen in .. days



these two statements are not mutually exclusive
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: miles on November 23, 2005, 05:43:57 am
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
I saw it as he just happened to be doing that as they walked in. I don't know that he did it because of Molly. Like he shoots his finger thing and holds it for 5 frames. He grabed his crotch and shook it and they walked in and he forgot he was doing it.


Except the alt-text makes it seem like it was especially for Molly.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Factitious on November 23, 2005, 09:12:11 am
How is it that Roast Beef knows Showbiz ate the entire pack of gum? I can see that he has a lot of gum in his mouth, but can Beef really tell that it's not, say, the entire pack except for one piece that was carefully saved? What I'm trying to say is that panels 5 and 6 didn't seem to fit together very smoothly.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Hobot on November 24, 2005, 06:24:45 pm
Perhaps I'm a bit slow, but this strip did not make a great deal of sense to me.  What is Showbiz attempting to convey in panel five?  What does that hand gesture mean?  Why does he look angry in panels four and five?  Is "HNNYAH!" an expression of triumph, greeting, or apology?

I need to know these things.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: LCB on November 25, 2005, 04:32:16 am
I think he was just adjusting his package as some people do, while chewing on a mouthful of gum when they walked in and the "HNNYAH!" is just trying to say something even though he has a mouthful of gum. The gesture eludes me, however.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2005, 05:28:08 am
Urine Odor Info!
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: CortJstr on November 26, 2005, 05:46:14 pm
The hand gesture is the "hang loose" signal. It was briefly popular in the 80's and is now basically only used by Samoa (http://www.tnapics.com/displayimage.php?album=252&pos=20) Joe (http://www.ultimate-productions.net/samoajoe/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=4)
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: aparrish on November 28, 2005, 03:25:45 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The hand gesture is the "hang loose" signal. It was briefly popular in the 80's and is now basically only used by Samoa (http://www.tnapics.com/displayimage.php?album=252&pos=20) Joe (http://www.ultimate-productions.net/samoajoe/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=4)


At the end of third grade, my teacher took "graduation" Polaroids of the kids in her class.  (We all wore cardboard mortarboards.)  She shot three kids in every exposure then sliced the resulting picture into thirds.  My slice was the middle slice.  In this slice I am making the "hang loose" signal.

I wasn't clutchin' on my crotch like Showbiz, though.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 28, 2005, 06:18:04 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The hand gesture is the "hang loose" signal. It was briefly popular in the 80's and is now basically only used by Samoa (http://www.tnapics.com/displayimage.php?album=252&pos=20) Joe (http://www.ultimate-productions.net/samoajoe/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=4)


That gesture is called a 'shaka' (no one seems to know why)  (http://starbulletin.com/2002/03/31/news/kokualine.html)and is by far the most common hand gesture in Hawaii.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: miles on November 28, 2005, 09:40:25 pm
Of course, not to be confused with the already discussed "shocker," which is sometimes pronounced as "shocka."
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: Hobot on November 29, 2005, 03:27:08 am
I know that it is the "hang loose" gesture, but why does Showbiz use it?

I still need to know this thing.
Title: Nov 22, 05 - HNNYAH!
Post by: CortJstr on November 29, 2005, 03:31:35 am
Quote from: "Hobot"
I know that it is the "hang loose" gesture, but why does Showbiz use it?

I still need to know this thing.

Maybe he was trying to say that he was free-ballin' at the time.