The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: nationwide on November 30, 2005, 06:41:20 am

Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: nationwide on November 30, 2005, 06:41:20 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11302005

Not "tell me what you think". No, you have to appreciate the decreased portobello without being told.

SIXTEEN OUT OF THIRTYSEVEN
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: mudokon on November 30, 2005, 06:54:50 am
Pat is wearing an outfit. That's decent enough.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Bozack on November 30, 2005, 07:51:45 am
Pat also attempts to "hang" with the "guys" by calling them "amigos," despite the fact that he thinks Mexicans take too long getting in and out of cars.

LIKE THE WORLD IS THEIR OYSTER!
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: misterqueue on November 30, 2005, 01:27:21 pm
Man do I love Beef.  One line in this entire strip and he steals the show, and just look at how he shows his displeasure at tasting.

It's as though it's just as bad as he thought.  You can almost hear him thinking "Dammit dawg, why do we hang with Pat?  This is the kind of shit he sets on us since small times."

Whereas Ray clearly chews it carefully and notices what he's done; he's created an anus (or an ileum if it's the other end I suppose)
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2005, 01:56:27 pm
I thought the fact that Pat bought a lab coat won. Then I got to the panel with Ray and Beef chewing and realized that I had spoken too soon.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: robot_god on November 30, 2005, 02:19:43 pm
The chewing.

Although Pat probably has the coat from when he dropped out of pre-med.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 30, 2005, 02:35:15 pm
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolus_Linnaeus).
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Null on November 30, 2005, 02:37:34 pm
Pat's expression at the end is classic.   You just know he started screaming.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: aparrish on November 30, 2005, 02:53:37 pm
Meh.  After yesterday's brilliance it's a bit disappointing to have a "My friend made some bad food yesterday!  HOW BAD WAS IT?!" kind of strip.  

Although Onstad has managed to depict Ray chewing in a more satisfactory way.  (as opposed to, e.g., this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08052004))
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2005, 04:01:26 pm
The proper title for this thread was "What's that thing at the end of the large intestine?"

10 demerits.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: V-Adore on November 30, 2005, 04:38:48 pm
I really want to use "Carolus Linnaeus would describe it as Shitty" in a conversation. Now I just need to find a shitty thing.

Also, frost-pepper? Cuke-wurst? Oh, God, I hope he's making this stuff up.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Hobot on November 30, 2005, 04:58:49 pm
I agree, carlos, an explanation regarding Carolus Linnaeus is warranted.  That being said, once I found out that he was the Father of Taxonomy, this strip became exceedingly magnificent.

Does Shitty deserve to be classified as a new Kingdom?  Discuss.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: acoxcae on November 30, 2005, 05:25:04 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I really want to use "Carolus Linnaeus would describe it as Shitty" in a conversation. Now I just need to find a shitty thing.


I can't decide if "...would describe..." has quite the aptness of "...would classify..." in this context.  I'm pretty sure you only get full points for that sentence with the "classify" variation, since, you know, Linnaeus was all about classification rather than description.

These are the things I think about when I'm at work with nothing to do.

Also, this strip is pretty entertaining to me - I recently found myself eating a best-titute on occasion, and was like, "Hey, if you quit pretending this is meat, it tastes good!" (Speaking of a certain variety of vegetable patty) - so then I figured, well, if this is good, why not, say, vegan bratwurst?

The answer is, "Because vegan bratwurst is the worst idea in the history of man, that's why."  It's a thin line, but Pat is stomping on the wrong side of it, and Ray and Beef are there to tell him what's what.  I look forward to Pat filing lawsuits against them both for defamation tomorrow.

I blame myself for not realizing this without subjecting myself to the horrors.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: V-Adore on November 30, 2005, 06:11:54 pm
Quote from: "acoxcae"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I really want to use "Carolus Linnaeus would describe it as Shitty" in a conversation. Now I just need to find a shitty thing.


I can't decide if "...would describe..." has quite the aptness of "...would classify..." in this context.  I'm pretty sure you only get full points for that sentence with the "classify" variation, since, you know, Linnaeus was all about classification rather than description.

These are the things I think about when I'm at work with nothing to do.

I apologize for misquoting. I am not really what you would call a functional human being today, alas.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 30, 2005, 07:48:56 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
Meh.  After yesterday's brilliance it's a bit disappointing to have a "My friend made some bad food yesterday!  HOW BAD WAS IT?!" kind of strip.  

Although Onstad has managed to depict Ray chewing in a more satisfactory way.  (as opposed to, e.g., this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08052004))


Sarcasm noted.  I hope.

I found this strip brought the funny.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: aparrish on November 30, 2005, 08:40:01 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "aparrish"
Ray chewing in a more satisfactory way
Sarcasm noted


I meant that the chewing looked better in panel 8 (which I now realize isn't just "chewing" but "disgusted chewing").  Yeah, in panel 10 it looks like big O just cut and pasted Ray from the Waterbury strip.  Chewing?  Looks more like his tongue is trying to escape through his cheek.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 30, 2005, 08:42:26 pm
I meant the Meh and saying that the Cheatlloaf Tasting was somehow inferior to the Stork/Burrito/Todd/Van trainwreck  was sarcastic, although I fear perhaps it wasn't.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: evan on November 30, 2005, 09:11:55 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolus_Linnaeus).

If you don't know who Carolus Linnaeus was maybe this isn't the right comic for you. Don't feel bad, there's always The Born Loser.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: arkabee on November 30, 2005, 09:23:40 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolus_Linnaeus).

If you don't know who Carolus Linnaeus was maybe this isn't the right comic for you. Don't feel bad, there's always The Born Loser.


and then there's also always kissing my ass.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on November 30, 2005, 09:53:26 pm
damnit, I didn't know who Carolus Linnaeus was and I've been reading and enjoying this comic too. I guess I better stick to Family Circus because I DO know who god is.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Mantonio on November 30, 2005, 10:57:58 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolus_Linnaeus).

If you don't know who Carolus Linnaeus was maybe this isn't the right comic for you. Don't feel bad, there's always The Born Loser.


Are you hating on The Born Loser? Why? I mean, the fat guy has a mean boss who never gives him a raise yet has bags of gold coins stacked around his desk. Then sometimes the fat guy is at the bus stop and it starts to rain. Oh, and theres that tramp who's always got a saucy retort for the judge.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: mudokon on November 30, 2005, 11:34:08 pm
This Born Loser sounds like a good comic. Where can I read The Born Loser? Newspapers?
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Mantonio on November 30, 2005, 11:43:53 pm
Quote from: "mudokon"
This Born Loser sounds like a good comic. Where can I read The Born Loser? Newspapers?


Yea, right next to Big Nate and Rose is Rose.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: LCB on December 01, 2005, 12:00:29 am
Well, at least Pat decided to out and out tell them it was "Cheatloaf" instead of trying the old trick many a high-strung militant vegan has pulled on their family and (in some cases soon to be ex-)friends, the "Here, eat up! AHA IT WAS A VEGETARIAN BEST-ITUTE I SERVED YOU, NOT REGULAR HAMBURGER/PIZZA/TUNA CASSEROLE/ETC.! Were you fooled? Are you ready to convert?" bit, whether they are trying to convert or trying out a new dish they made or picked up at the local vegan co-op grocery run by filthy over-mellow hippies. Even some other hardcore vegans think that this is a lame thing to do.

But I suppose it was more an ego thing for Pat. "Of course they'll like it. I prepared it with carefully calculated precision, and it is good for them! They'll doubtless savor the flavor and notice how carefully I blended the ingredients."

I eagerly await the Journey Into Reason followup.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: MattFish on December 01, 2005, 01:23:33 am
Quote from: "LCB"
But I suppose it was more an ego thing for Pat. "Of course they'll like it. I prepared it with carefully calculated precision, and it is good for them! They'll doubtless savor the flavor and notice how carefully I blended the ingredients."


I don't think he'd say that because savor and flavor rhyme and rhyming is too plebian and hack-poetish.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: madhatte on December 01, 2005, 02:19:32 am
I am for real honest-to-god big on taxonomy and the Linnaeus bit made me almost crap myself with delight.  I am neither kidding nor exaggerating. It has happened before.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: robot_god on December 01, 2005, 02:31:26 am
My schitty chicken!

No, not the schitty schrimp!
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Lister on December 01, 2005, 03:26:19 am
Jokes that reference things are funny in inverse proportion to how many people get the reference.  I think there's just an inherent amount of funny to be had in any joke, and the more people get it the more it is diluted.

This is why I loved this strip, because my funny joke about Linneus was not diluted by all those people who don't know who he isoh crap i sound like pat now.

It's like "you had to be there" stories.  If you were there, it's fuck*ng hilarious.  If you weren't, it's mildly amusing at best.

Why am I lecturing?  This was teh funnay.  I LOL'ed.  Waffles were duly roffled.  Asses were laughed off, people.  OFF!
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: MattFish on December 01, 2005, 02:16:43 pm
Quote from: "Lister"
Why am I lecturing?  This was teh funnay.  I LOL'ed.  Waffles were duly roffled.  Asses were laughed off, people.  OFF!


The asses, they reside so very, very far away!
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Doc on December 01, 2005, 11:22:17 pm
I didn't even realise it was Pat until he said 'Cheatloaf'. Also note that he is writing notes before they taste it but not after. Probably noting how they are obviously entranced by the tender meal before them.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: tcc on December 02, 2005, 03:03:35 pm
I was kind of disappointed Beef didn't consider Carolus would classify it as some sort of binomial.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Bozack on December 02, 2005, 03:04:37 pm
Quote from: "madhatte"
I am for real honest-to-god big on taxonomy and the Linnaeus bit made me almost crap myself with delight.  I am neither kidding nor exaggerating. It has happened before.


Quote from: "David Cross"
So what did you do with your shitty #####?
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: madhatte on December 02, 2005, 06:27:28 pm
I'm pretty sure you don't want to know.
Title: Notice what I've done: 11-30-05
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 02, 2005, 06:41:45 pm
Quote from: "evan"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The right thing to do would have been to make the strip link to an explanation of who the hell Carolus Linnaeus was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolus_Linnaeus).

If you don't know who Carolus Linnaeus was maybe this isn't the right comic for you. Don't feel bad, there's always The Born Loser.


Do you know who you're talking to?  I am the Mayor.  The Mayor of fuck*ng Banana Town.  

What arkabee said.