The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Hobbes on August 31, 2003, 06:52:46 am

Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Hobbes on August 31, 2003, 06:52:46 am
On the weezer.com main page if you scroll down to the news posting for the 19th they link to the recent Weezer/IMac strip. Wonder if Achewood got a "jump" in the "ratings". Why can't Oasis show some love?
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: beverly on August 31, 2003, 07:30:35 am
Did someone e-mail this to Onstad?  It is hella on the main page.
Title: Re: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on August 31, 2003, 08:08:07 am
Quote from: "Hobbes"
On the weezer.com main page if you scroll down to the news posting for the 19th they link to the recent Weezer/IMac strip. Wonder if Achewood got a "jump" in the "ratings". Why can't Oasis show some love?


I'm gonna give Weezer back some credit, after the horror that was the Green Album and all!
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: beverly on August 31, 2003, 08:15:38 am
Maladroit pleased most of me.  Wait, should I say that or "I was pleased by most of Maladroit"?  Oh well.  I know which is right, but whatever

it feels good to do this: fdsa;fdsaajkl;jfdsaak;fsajklkfk;ffk;af;kl;kl;jk
l;fjkl;fdak;fajl;jfdsaklkkfdsklfdsajkl;fdsafjkl;fjklfkl
jfdsaljk;fdsjkl;jfdjkl;ajkl;fds;klflk;fdsakl
;fdsalkj;jkl;afskl;jffflk;fdsaskl;fsadl;kjfdsasdkl;jfasjkl
;fdsajkl;fdsajkl;fdsajkl;fdsajkl;afdsfkl;jdsafkld;satimewellspent
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 31, 2003, 08:16:34 am
I nominate Beverly to post feeling good keystrokes in touches.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Nabubrush on August 31, 2003, 05:28:50 pm
I think that Weezer crossover is kind of cool - I, too, wonder if it will end in substantially more hits for Onstad. Seems like there might be some similar tastes between Achewood and Weezer fans. Can someone whip out a Venn diagram for me? Anyway, I made mention of the green album in sounds, I think, and I don't want this moved, but I have to say it's growing on me. Still not nearly as good as anything else of theirs, but not terrible.
Also, it is nice to see a different topic in this forum, because I have not yet got around to listening to those related songs.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Hobbes on August 31, 2003, 09:10:07 pm
Quote from: "beverly"
Did someone e-mail this to Onstad?  It is hella on the main page.


Someone probably just e-mailed it to Onstad or maybe he even saw it at the same time I did. Or maybe if you're Oliver Stone this helps your theories about how Onstad reads the board. No matter how it happened though it's kind of weird that it never got mentioned by anyone until a week and a half later with my postrific post. I will take full credit for this incredible broken story and reward myself with diet ginger ale.

Next Week: Queer Eye For The Straight Guy storm Onstad's place and rework him in fall tones.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Mite on August 31, 2003, 10:58:53 pm
It's nice to see that somebody still updates Weezer's website, considering the whole band died in that horrible plane crash immediately following the release of Pinkerton. Imagine how fantastic their next album would have been, if not for that plane crash. Damn plane crash.

Yeah, I know I should probably give the green album another shot, but denial is so much easier.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on August 31, 2003, 11:04:29 pm
Quote from: "Mite"

Yeah, I know I should probably give the green album another shot, but denial is so much easier.


Plus it's suckiness! Well, in my opinion anyway. I have a real soft spot for Blue, which I unfortunately lost just the other week along with many many other things. Pinkerton had it's moments, but wasn't the same. From then onwards... I just can't get into it at all, so I gave up trying.
But, Blue album still has it's place as a classic - I mean - Sweater Song - pure genius!
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: starlight on September 01, 2003, 01:44:26 am
I think that's pretty cool that achewood hath been linked.  I hadn't checked the Weezer site as often lately - not since I downloaded all the demo stuff they had in the media section and made a mix cd with it which was more than a year ago ..hah!

Anyway, I agree about The Green Album ...I think Pinkerton is the best, but maybe cause I don't have The Blue Album - my cousin does.  I like The Sweater Song and Only in Dreams though the Buddy Holly one got on my last nerve after a billion times hearing it in one sporting goods store, but yeah, I cannot think of many others offhand from that album.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2003, 05:38:30 am
You people are stone crazy - Pinkerton has "Pink Triangle"! That's the finest of all their songs. I'll admit that I'm a little biased as my girlfriend and I marched in a gay pride parade with a sign bearing the slogan "Everyone's a little queer" - and I got my picture in the local weekly holding said sign.

Note: Scrambles is not one of the crazy people.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on September 01, 2003, 07:06:04 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Note: Scrambles is not one of the crazy people.


Oh, I do agree, the fine moments aforementioned by myself were, namely, Pink Triangle. Damn fine song!
But as a whole it just, doesn't have the same feel the Blue album has. I guess it's just when I came across it and shit. 'Cause I rarely listen to any Weezer really.
Buddy Holly however, yes, was cruelly overplayed... too death!
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Mite on September 01, 2003, 02:24:35 pm
But Pinkerton is so....so....Pinkerton! What other band would do a concept album based loosely on a Puccini opera?
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on September 01, 2003, 06:28:05 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
But Pinkerton is so....so....Pinkerton! What other band would do a concept album based loosely on a Puccini opera?


Damnit, you're making me really want to listen to Pinkerton again now, since I haven't really listened to it enough to remember most of it (Good Life is another good track btw, though I have a great live acoustic... sorry had), but alas I have none of the Weezer albums since I lost one of my hard drives (the one with ALL my music) last week.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 01, 2003, 08:09:21 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
But Pinkerton is so....so....Pinkerton! What other band would do a concept album based loosely on a Puccini opera?


I've never heard the Weezer album (or any Weezer album - which would you suggest I listen to first?) but are you saying that their Pinkerton album is based on Madame Butterfly?

That would be pretty cool.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Mite on September 01, 2003, 10:51:00 pm
Quote from: "jough"
but are you saying that their Pinkerton album is based on Madame Butterfly?


Well, emphasis on loosely based. The last track, Butterfly, is pretty clearly taken entirely from Madama Butterfly. It's sorta Pinkerton's apology, but it's also where Rivers Cuomo (lead singer/songwriter) admits that, despite the "chicks are out to get you" theme of most indie rock, he's far from an innocent victim. "I told you I would return/ when the robin makes his nest" is the most explicit quote.

The rest of the album periodically references the opera, "Listenin' to Cio Cio San/ Fall in love all over again" in El Scorcho, for instance. Are there allusions in Tired of Sex or Pink Triangle? If so I can't find 'em. But yeah, Butterfly was the inspiration for the record.

It's the only Weezer album I own, and there have been periods of my life where it doesn't leave my player for days. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

My love can heal you Rivers, I just know it!
</nerd>
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2003, 11:55:54 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I've never heard the Weezer album (or any Weezer album - which would you suggest I listen to first?)

The Blue Album is the safe answer. It's one of those CD's that 98% of people my age own and is pretty much the only CD I own where I don't skip any of the tracks ever. I can't even say that of TMBG's Flood.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 01:20:00 am
That's the one with "Buddy Holly" on it?  I liked that song/video.

It came with the original Windows 95 CD.  No kidding.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: CortJstr on September 02, 2003, 01:45:51 am
Quote from: "jough"
That's the one with "Buddy Holly" on it?  I liked that song/video.

It came with the original Windows 95 CD.  No kidding.


Right, the Blue Album (technically it's Weezer - Weezer) has Buddy Holly, Undone-The Sweater Song, and Say It Ain't So as radio singles plus a buch of other easy hits.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 02:15:30 am
Quote from: "jough"
That's the one with "Buddy Holly" on it?  I liked that song/video.

It came with the original Windows 95 CD.  No kidding.


Yea I remember that. It was a great video, very well done, but that and the overplaying of it (partly I think due to the video - 'cause it's not their best song) killed it somewhat for me.
It also has My Name is Jonas which is a superb song. And as mentioned just above me here, Say it Ain't So, which is excellent.
There was another I thought was great ad would mention but I can't remember what it is and can't be bothered loading web pages right now...
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jay-ell on September 02, 2003, 03:22:38 pm
I had that album (the blue one) on tape.  I friend of mine copied it for me (in the days before CD burners) as a last-ditch effort to make me listen to pop music in high school.  It was extremely awesome, in that feel-good kind of way.  It brings back memories of riding home from school in a sky-blue Saab with no radio so we had to play tapes in Jenni's tinny-sounding boom box in the back seat.  Heh, and then there was the time we made Brian ride home in the trunk...yeah, those were the days.  

No, wait, high school sucked.  But the soundtrack was pretty cool.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 05:00:02 pm
Oh dear.  You were in *high school* when that came out?

I feel old.
Title: wonder
Post by: satchel on September 02, 2003, 05:23:34 pm
This makes me wonder who in the Weezer camp reads Achewood. I’m surprised that Weezer gives a shit about being in some obscure web comic.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 05:25:37 pm
I don't think the band members actually build their own web site - but someone must have tipped them off.

Could Onstad be geek enough to send them e-mail telling them that he mentioned them in his little comic?

I mean, he's geek enough to mention that Weezer mentioned his mention of them on their web site.  The only way that exchange could be more geeky is if Weezer mentioned that Onstad mentioned their mention of his mention of them on the Weezer site.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: Hobbes on September 03, 2003, 06:17:34 am
Quote from: "jough"
Could Onstad be geek enough to send them e-mail telling them that he mentioned them in his little comic?


I think if he did that he would've linked to weezer.com's mention of it a hell of a lot sooner.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: mwn8989 on September 07, 2003, 07:02:19 pm
ive been listening to weezer since i was 5 years old (that being 1994) and remember being floored even at that age by the sounds i was hearing, and was only further amazed at pinkerton. Although the disappointing green album was quite sub par, its sales at least gave weezer some mainstream recognition, and will hopefully allow more people to access their better albums such as pinkerton (which is HORRIBLY under recognized for being what I would consider one of the greatest albums out there, except for those few and far between TRUE weezer fans), oh and Maladroit wasnt too bad, i liked American Gigolo and Love Explosion, but nothing will compare to Pinkerton. :D
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: andalucia on September 07, 2003, 07:07:21 pm
Quote from: "mwn8989"
ive been listening to weezer since i was 5 years old


Egad.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AugustWest on September 07, 2003, 07:51:39 pm
I've got shoes older than that.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 07, 2003, 09:55:34 pm
I've got concert shirts older than that.
I've got an '89 Ciera in my driveway.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: V-Adore on September 07, 2003, 10:52:03 pm
Man, even I feel old now. And here I had myself pegged as the Whippersnapper[tm] of this board...
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on September 07, 2003, 10:58:45 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, even I feel old now.


I always feel old now... And I'm not even that old. Just sets in when there's no going back.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 07, 2003, 11:33:56 pm
I guess you lied when you signed up for the board, then.  You have to be at least sixteen years old to be a member.

Bye now.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2003, 12:49:27 am
You have a 14 year old dalmatian?  That's really hanging in there, the rest of us who feel old should take heart.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2003, 01:16:03 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, even I feel old now. And here I had myself pegged as the Whippersnapper[tm] of this board...


V, how old are you?  I thought I was the whippersnapper, copyright or otherwise.... *tears, tantrums, etc.*
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AugustWest on September 08, 2003, 02:22:12 am
Hell, I have a kid born in '91.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: V-Adore on September 08, 2003, 02:22:16 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Man, even I feel old now. And here I had myself pegged as the Whippersnapper[tm] of this board...


V, how old are you?  I thought I was the whippersnapper, copyright or otherwise.... *tears, tantrums, etc.*

I turn twenty this month. sturm, drang, etc.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AugustWest on September 08, 2003, 02:23:54 am
I also have cassettes (a few) and 8-tracks (many) from the '70s.

Nyah.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: MrH on September 08, 2003, 08:32:39 am
Quote from: "mwn8989"
its sales at least gave weezer some mainstream recognition

Man that Buddy Holly video was packaged with Windows95.  I would say they got their mainstream recognition a long time ago.  I don't really listen to Weezer, but surely I'm not the only one who remembers this.  It was Windows 95, right?  I'm not high on 80's crack or something am I?

PS I hate you Windows 95.  You ruined computers for everyone.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: MrH on September 08, 2003, 08:53:12 am
And, ..., isn't there at least an 8 in 12 chance that whatzizname is, in fact, 14?  It's 2003, right?  Or am I high on early 90's heroin?
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 08, 2003, 06:04:57 pm
Actually, it's sixteen. I can do the math, I just can't type.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on September 08, 2003, 06:21:10 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Actually, it's sixteen. I can do the math, I just can't type.


And what with Achewood now being all 18 anyway...
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 08, 2003, 06:42:29 pm
Yeah, I may make this an 18 or over resource, too, although obviously anyone can access either the Achewood site or this board any time they please.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on September 08, 2003, 07:24:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, I may make this an 18 or over resource, too, although obviously anyone can access either the Achewood site or this board any time they please.


It would ensure that in the strange event of a 17 year old crying to their parents, due to our discussions of bizarre sex act euphamisms, you can't be sued or anything. Not that I think that's really very likely.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 08, 2003, 11:22:02 pm
Making this site verifiable by adult check would finally give me the excuse I need to get one of those adult IDs! You go, jough!
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2003, 11:58:48 pm
This is a most unsettling development.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 09, 2003, 02:11:32 am
Under 18, 'lucia?
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: MrH on September 09, 2003, 03:37:49 am
Quote from: "jough"
Under 18, 'lucia?


Don't say anything!  He's a NARC!
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 09, 2003, 03:49:52 am
She's cool and funny. And she's a vegan who wears hats. Cut her a break, the world needs girls like her.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: slink on September 09, 2003, 09:19:07 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
She's cool and funny. And she's a vegan who wears hats. Cut her a break, the world needs girls like her.


Quite. I'd second the breaking of laws for her. But then I don't take most of them particularly seriously!
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 09, 2003, 09:40:46 am
No no no.  She'll have to go and sit at the little card table we have set up in the kitchen and eat cut up hot dogs and macaroni with the other children.

What?  You don't eat hot dogs OR cheese?  Well, I guess you can gnaw on the cardboard box, then...
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: andalucia on September 09, 2003, 11:44:46 am
Stern, but fair.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 09, 2003, 11:47:29 am
It's funny you should say that.  When I last spoke to JL (she goes to sleep at a normal human time and I stay up all night and into the late morning) she wished me fun terrorising the board in her absence, and I said that I would be "Firm, but fair."

Mission accomplished, I guess.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: V-Adore on September 09, 2003, 11:41:46 pm
My personal call on the matter would be to assume any non-asshat poster is over 18 unless they display deep evidence of the situation being otherwise (such as, y'know, posting their age). I don't think this board is so big or so kiddie-attractive that we need much beyond an honor system.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 11, 2003, 08:09:10 am
Well, no one under 18 gets any of this: :cunnilingus:

But otherwise I think we can all get along. :smooch:

-- Jough :pimp:
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: MrH on September 12, 2003, 05:20:07 am
Quote from: "jough"
Well, no one under 18 gets any of this: :cunnilingus:


And you're the authority figure here?   :loser:
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 05:37:48 am
:fuckyou: Mr H!

I am the authority figure, as you're playing in my yard.  Or rather you *were* playing in my yard!

Welcome to bansville, population YOU.

-- Jough, :disgusted:
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jay-ell on September 12, 2003, 04:25:10 pm
Let's not do this again.   :disgusted:
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: ferocious j on September 12, 2003, 08:01:15 pm
What the fuck happened here?
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 08:04:55 pm
Ah, always quick on the uptake...
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2003, 08:15:52 pm
Mental Note:  

Do not call Jough a loser.

Respect his authority.
Title: Weezer and Onstad are in loooooove.
Post by: jough on September 12, 2003, 08:51:04 pm
Actually, changing someone's user rank to "BANNED" is about as far as I'm willing to take it unless they really start to cause problems (i.e. make more work for me).

It's a little Admin joke.