The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: mudokon on December 02, 2005, 06:35:30 pm
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12022005
This one has a funny hairstyle, and a car, and spoken Hardy Boys fanfiction. It's good.
-
HOT DAMN, now THIS is a comic strip.
HELL OF CONTENT
If the baby update would have changed, I might have fallen to the ground.
-
This will not end well. Cornelius really should know better.
-
This will not end well. Cornelius really should know better.
Kind of seems like a one-off to me.
Is Ray dressed as Someone? Or is it just a silly outfit?
-
Not jazz music. NOT JAZZ MUSIC!!! Won't somebody please think of the children?!
How can anybody possible be satisfied with that explanation for Ray's clothes?
-
I sincerely hope that garage is well-ventilated, or we'll be seeing more of Trouble Man and No-No.
-
I absolutely love Ray's self-narration. LOVE IT.
You know that later the Hardy boys invite him out to solve a crime but he just ends up getting them stoned and talking about just how good this one lady with the big caboose was he once knew.
Ray defitinitely knows how it is folks. He knows how it is!
-
God, it is a thing of beauty.
-
That was pretty creative for Ray, on-the-fly and all. One supposes the car had a lot to do with inspiring him.
-
Yes good comic strip; I am always amused by Ray's need to be liked and I always will be.
However, can someone please describe his costume to me, using words? What is on his head? Is it a wig? Visually speaking, I am confused.
-
Haha, oh man that was pretty good. At first I all thinking Ray was going to take off and run a muck 1910 style. But instead we're treated to a little narrative by Ray.
And CortJstr I know exactly what you're saying! I though we were going to see some side of Ray that was previously unseen. Too bad...what was he supposed to be anyway? I'm seeing a civil war general with bacon on the side of his head...or mutton chops. Same thing right?
-
To me, Ray looks like the hero of a bad '70's prime-time action show, but that may just be the residual result of watching both Master Ninja "movies" over Thanksgiving break.
Love the narrative, especially the details that reveal so clearly Ray's knowledge of the Hardy Boys books. I wonder if he and Beef bonded over the genre?
-
When I read this strip, all I could think of was Onstad's recent obsession over detective books (see the blogs, yo!) and his historical appreciation for the Hardy Boys, his Nate Small thing, etc. Because it didn't seem as out-of-nowhere as usual, I did not Laff.
Instead, I came here to bitch about it.
Thanks for the free comic, Chris! Too bad you didn't entertain 100% of the consumers!
-
This is one of those occasional comics where Onstad just doesn't know where to stop. It was a strip of gold in two lines, and it would have finished well there.
I still laughed out loud when we got to Hardy Boys, though.
-
The repetition in the art worked pretty well, it was almost like a song-structure. Panel 2 duplicated as panel 6, panel 3 as panel 5, then, just to throw us, panels 7 and 8.
Also, thanks to Satan Ray is a multi-millionaire. Even if he utterly destroyed the car, he could buy Cornelius a whole fleet of them.
-
Master Ninja
MASTER NINJA THEME SONG!*
However, can someone please describe his costume to me, using words?
The cat appears to be wearing a "cowboy-stiched" shirt, a bolo tie, pasted on mutton-chop sideburns, and some sort of spitcurled hairpiece.
Perhaps he is Elvis Costello, or merely an Attraction?
Perhaps he is an extra in Grease, who did not have a mechanic's coverall?
Is he Squiggy?
I do not know who he is, or how it would help a friend to be dressed like that. The ambiguity is petulant, and slaps my nose like a kitten would.
*chicka wockachicka wow**
**Bump ba BAP ba bap BA!
-
ha ha, Lister. Lister your old friend blister! Ha ha, man.
Awesome* costume and narrative. Ray could very well be dressed up as...ice cream...cowboy...for Philippe.
*Nested footnotes are confusing**!
**Hard*** to integrate!
***Difficult! (what is the ascii code for that little superscript cross thing?)
-
Ray might be dressed up as the vampire from "Voodoo Heartbeat" who, according to Michael Weldon, looked like a rockbilly singer.
So, as "helpin' out a friend" Beef had to rescue Molly from the machinations of "Voodoo Ray Vampire Billy" and, when she was thus rescued, Molly agreed to--
--Sorry, I can't go on. When she was in Heaven, Molly was pretty cool, she could code Java and stuff. When she was resurrected, she lost her coolness.
Isn't it always that way? Speaking only from my own experience, I guess "Yes" is the only answer there is.
-
This strip made me crap my #####.
I could've used this three days ago.
-
Master Ninja
MASTER NINJA THEME SONG!
MASTER NINJA THEME SONG (http://www.uwm.edu/~sdwarren/secret/masterninja.mp3)
you're welcome
BOMPA CHIKA WOKKA CHICKA
-
*Nested footnotes are confusing**!
**Hard*** to integrate!
***Difficult! (what is the ascii code for that little superscript cross thing?) [/size]
Well the dagger (†) is alt+0134 and the double dagger (‡) is alt+0135 but if you want to superscript them you've got to do it the old fashioned way.
My backpack's got jets†
†I'm Boba the Fett
-
Thanks for the description of the costume, Lister. It was useful and made me feel better.
If only this strip had appeared before the Halloween Costume Contest we may not have had so many people covering themselves in newspaper.
-
I read pretty much all of the Hardy Boys in junior high.
Does anyone remember the new series that came out in the late 80's? Every other books was about Frank & Joe running into professional assassins or terrorists or cultists or something. Here's a typical plot: Frank & Joe discover a connection between the on-air fatal electrocution of a local shock jock and a gang of skinheads. Or: Frank's girlfriend witnesses the beating of a homeless man by a crooked cop while visiting UCLA, and finds herself being chased by goons.
-
Woah, I haven't posted in awhile!
I loved this strip. The best part:
"I know how it is."
-
Woah, I haven't posted in awhile!"
Yeah, check back in with us in April.
~Paul
-
I realise that Cornelius is wearing driving goggles, but he really reminds me of Robin (http://images.art.com/images/-/Batman-Robin--B10045332.jpeg).
Additionally, Metropolitan Sex College 9 sounds like it could be the name of a planet in "Futurama."