The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: V-Adore on December 03, 2005, 03:45:06 am

Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2005, 03:45:06 am
As those of you who remember the mix-CD swaps no doubt remember, I am an incorrigible non-producer of promised mixtapes, much to my shame. Well, that's changed! As part of a school project, I've put together a mixtape that I think is accessible to the outside world: nothing special, but hey, it's music.

Therefore: anyone want a copy? I know I owe a lot of you mixtapes anyway, and I hope this can begin to make it up. PM addresses, and I'll try to get burning and sending ASAP.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: andalucia on December 03, 2005, 04:26:09 am
I like those.  I'll PM you my address if you're down with international mailing.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2005, 04:38:27 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I like those.  I'll PM you my address if you're down with international mailing.

I have no objections.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2005, 04:42:01 am
Geez. Finally.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2005, 04:47:23 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Geez. Finally.

Yes, yes, I know, I am the worst human ever to manipulate my buttocks into a grisly parody of walking, blah blah blah.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2005, 05:05:36 am
I'd love to find out what you kids are listening to these days.  Can you cut me a wax cylinder?
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2005, 05:07:40 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'd love to find out what you kids are listening to these days.  Can you cut me a wax cylinder?

Shore. PM an address and I'll toss you the hottest cuts of the youth of today! Rap music, my droogs!
Title: mixtapes?
Post by: misterqueue on December 03, 2005, 05:34:50 am
Yay.. fun fun.. I can provide as well if anyone is interested :)
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on December 03, 2005, 05:46:03 am
I'm a newblett* but can I get some fresh cuts too? Either a mixtape or even some carrots.

"Damn this beat is so fresh...snap!"
hahah whoa, I'm so tired tonight. Nevermind my babble. But seriously I'm interested in the music. Do we pay shipping and the cost of the media?

* Newblett is a small newb, kinda like a piglett is a small pig, but not like a Brickett**

**not at all
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2005, 05:57:22 am
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"

hahah whoa, I'm so tired tonight. Nevermind my babble. But seriously I'm interested in the music. Do we pay shipping and the cost of the media?

Nope. Basically, the deal goes like this:

1) You private-message me a mailing address.
2) I send you a CD, my gift to you.
3) Enjoyment!

So go ahead and PM.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Bozack on December 03, 2005, 06:12:28 am
Are we doing another trade? Because my tracks are so funky fresh. Fresher than they have ever been.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: jough on December 03, 2005, 07:15:21 am
My tracks are pretty stale and I suck at mailing things because it means leaving the house before the sun goes down, but I'm willing to give a swap another go, since I know how much everyone loved my first two mixes.  :roll:
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2005, 08:05:28 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Are we doing another trade? Because my tracks are so funky fresh. Fresher than they have ever been.

You forgot to add a few Gollums on the end.

~Paul
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2005, 08:07:19 am
Quote from: "jough"
I'm willing to give a swap another go, since I know how much everyone loved my first two mixes.  :roll:

That's actually very true.

~Paul
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2005, 08:08:12 am
I haven't made a mixtape in a while.  But I will, don't think I won't.

~Paul
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2005, 02:09:33 pm
Damnit mix tapes sound like an awesome idea, but I'm fairly sure all would mock my total musical tastelessness. Or I'd get spiteful and fill a CD with Zappa and no one wants that.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 03, 2005, 04:37:11 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Are we doing another trade? Because my tracks are so funky fresh. Fresher than they have ever been.

Well, I wasn't necessarily initiating another trade; I just made this mix anyway, and since I knew I had some karmic debt from the first two mixes, I'm offering it as a way of saying "I'm sorry, Acheboard!" But if people want a swap, that's cool too. (I'll even make another mix just for it.)
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2005, 04:39:49 pm
My previous mix (Something Clever) still exisits in mp3 form. I could put it on my site for DL for anybody who missed it last time. Anybody interested?

I could consider doing another mix but I don't think that it could possibly be as cool.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2005, 06:52:57 pm
Quote from: "Doc"
Damnit mix tapes sound like an awesome idea, but I'm fairly sure all would mock my total musical tastelessness. Or I'd get spiteful and fill a CD with Zappa and no one wants that.


I would.  Maybe we could work up a Zappa only mixtape exchange.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Bozack on December 03, 2005, 09:16:06 pm
I once spent a few months tracking down a Zappa bootleg simply because I had gotten twisty with a Very Special Lady with it playing in the background. I got it, and it was just as good. Everyone wants Zappa mix-tapes, man- in fact, since Zappa was so prolific and a lot of his stuff is sort of eclectic- some people might like one track but hate another- a mix of his would be welcomed.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2005, 10:09:06 pm
My intellectial appreciation of Zappa is on the rise.

~Paul
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Doc on December 04, 2005, 02:12:02 pm
You make *one* damn throw-away comment.....

Although I do enjoy a challenge. So would a Zappa mix tape actually be something people would go for? I make no promises and it would probably take a little bit since I'd have to borrow a bunch of cds of a friend of mine but if people wouldn't respond in horror I'll give it a go.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2005, 05:32:37 pm
I'm game to make an all Zappa mixtape.  However, there are two provisos.

First, mine will probably be all instrumental.  Second, a few of the recordings will be of rather low-quality.  

Still interested?  Let me know.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: theinevitable on December 04, 2005, 07:16:09 pm
I think you should make the mixtapes all zappa, and do the vegan-trick.

HAHA! YOU ATE VEGAN FOOD! WASN'T IT JUST AS GOOD! SEE!

Not to mock certain close friends of mine who are vegan and do this very trick, but I doubt very many non-vegans care what is in their food, as long as it is good.

What I'm saying is to trick people with Zappa. I often fantasize about tricking friends/family into liking my music (Dad, listen to this cd I made! it's of old classical rock songs, not at all the crazy indie rock of the 80s! *hands cd which consists entirely of Replacements songs which I think sound "not-as-punk"*)

I'm sorry. the act of actually telling people the criteria for picking songs for a mixtape reminded me of... I dont...

yeah.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: antioch on December 04, 2005, 09:53:14 pm
Quote from: "theinevitable"
"not-as-punk"*


 Crap, I knew that people on this board would eventually footnote out of our planar spectrum. 4 dimensions only, plz!

 ONE of my fears when making mixtapes is that the person receiving the tape might think I'm trying to convert them to my tastes. I am working on a cd-r that will showcase noiserock and off-time nerd punk throughout the last  decade (as filtered through my not-so-big collection of music). Tentative title is "the modern spazz".  I think the format I'm going to go for is: hook, no hook, hook, psych/noise jam..and repeat.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: aparrish on December 05, 2005, 05:49:27 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
ONE of my fears when making mixtapes is that the person receiving the tape might think I'm trying to convert them to my tastes. I am working on a cd-r that will showcase noiserock and off-time nerd punk throughout the last  decade (as filtered through my not-so-big collection of music). Tentative title is "the modern spazz".  I think the format I'm going to go for is: hook, no hook, hook, psych/noise jam..and repeat.


Antioch, I am very interested in this and although I'm sure it will be a compelling mix I promise not to feel thereby pressured to convert to your (no doubt very awesome) taste in music.

Personally I've been working on a mix that finds the common aesthetic thread through lofi ((pseudo-)ethnic) (psych) folk, drone, slowcore, shoegaze and dream pop.  Frankly, it will be devastating.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I will send you a copy.

I was in Vilnius in September yet I failed to visit the Bust of Frank Zappa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Frank_Zappa_Statue.jpg).  A deathbed regret if I ever heard of one. :(
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Thee on December 05, 2005, 08:06:49 pm
I have never made a mixtape before.  Except live.  I guess being a DJ counts as making a mix tape.  It's kind of the same idea.

And wait, I did make my Dad a modest penis mixtape.  Which he gave to someone else to so they could get hip to them.  So I have to say that's a pretty good record, it was so good, someone then shares it with someone else.  I think that should be the goal for all mixtapes.

That said, I would be interested in the zappa mixes alls yalls have.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: antioch on December 05, 2005, 09:00:03 pm
Quote from: "aparrish"
Quote from: "antioch"
ONE of my fears when making mixtapes is that the person receiving the tape might think I'm trying to convert them to my tastes. I am working on a cd-r that will showcase noiserock and off-time nerd punk throughout the last  decade (as filtered through my not-so-big collection of music). Tentative title is "the modern spazz".  I think the format I'm going to go for is: hook, no hook, hook, psych/noise jam..and repeat.


Antioch, I am very interested in this and although I'm sure it will be a compelling mix I promise not to feel thereby pressured to convert to your (no doubt very awesome) taste in music.

Personally I've been working on a mix that finds the common aesthetic thread through lofi ((pseudo-)ethnic) (psych) folk, drone, slowcore, shoegaze and dream pop.  Frankly, it will be devastating.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I will send you a copy.

I was in Vilnius in September yet I failed to visit the Bust of Frank Zappa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Frank_Zappa_Statue.jpg).  A deathbed regret if I ever heard of one. :(


 You got it, dude! //michelle tanner
I appreciate you facing my potential mixtape with such equanamity.
I am interested in yours as well; It seems like it will be at least less than 2 steps from mercilesness.

 More bands need to describe themselves as "slowcore." It sounds better than "stoner," I think. At least slowcore is a genre name that won't incriminate you to your parents.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: miles on December 05, 2005, 10:44:37 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
More bands need to describe themselves as "slowcore." It sounds better than "stoner," I think. At least slowcore is a genre name that won't incriminate you to your parents.


Stoner is a perfectly fine term to describe music.  Stoner rock or stoner metal could never be replaced by slowcore (which makes me think of Galaxie 500, Ride or maybe Low).  And if you're describing it to your parents, for some reason, just drop the stoner.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: aparrish on December 05, 2005, 11:06:43 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Stoner is a perfectly fine term to describe music.  Stoner rock or stoner metal could never be replaced by slowcore (which makes me think of Galaxie 500, Ride or maybe Low).  And if you're describing it to your parents, for some reason, just drop the stoner.


Yeah, basically when I say "slowcore" I mean "Low."
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: antioch on December 06, 2005, 02:03:05 am
While we're at it, would you guys want to clarify "Dirge," "Sludge," and "Doom" for me?
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2005, 03:45:40 am
Quote from: "aparrish"
I was in Vilnius in September yet I failed to visit the Bust of Frank Zappa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Frank_Zappa_Statue.jpg).  A deathbed regret if I ever heard of one. :(

That is awesome.  Truely awesome.

~Paul
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2005, 05:10:04 am
pmcd9-- did you just call a man's deathbed regret awesome?
Have you no soul?
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2005, 03:15:57 pm
I have tentatively put together a 2005 year-end mix, titled "Catie 'n' Goo."  It is the sister mix to 2003's Me and the Bean (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=685) (pun absolutely intended).  Should be available in a couple of weeks--need to make sure I don't pick up any more mix-worthy music before the end of the year.  It will be available for exchange; PM me if interested.

I also just reproduced 2004's mix, "Centreville, QC."  I had made a single copy back in January, and then my hard drive crashed, losing the CD burner track-listing and all the artwork.  I've managed to put it back together, but made a very limited number of copies and they're all accounted for.  I can put mp3s up for download though.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Beatrice on December 08, 2005, 12:03:14 am
Quote from: "Doc"
Damnit mix tapes sound like an awesome idea, but I'm fairly sure all would mock my total musical tastelessness. Or I'd get spiteful and fill a CD with Zappa and no one wants that.


I would love that!  I love that you would do that!

And also, now i'm confused as to who is offering and who is not.  I have neither my own computer nor a burner right now, but I'll be putting a mix together in my brain.  If you want one, I'll post here or soemwhere new when i've got the ways and means all worked out.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Doc on December 08, 2005, 04:43:20 am
I just want to make sure I understand what I wish to undertake here, between my friends and I a mix tape has always just been a collection of cool songs normally with some kind of thematic link or at least an order in which they are good to listen to, this is what is being discussed here?
Just wanted to check before I start amassing and sorting through songs and then everyone else goes fully DJ on me with the mixing and the splicing and I am the non-musical jerk.

Zappa was so prolific do you think it would be safe for as many people to make Zappa mix tapes as possible? I think we'd still have even odds of not having overlap on the tracks.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 08, 2005, 04:52:51 am
Quote from: "Doc"
Zappa was so prolific do you think it would be safe for as many people to make Zappa mix tapes as possible? I think we'd still have even odds of not having overlap on the tracks.

 if we were to exclude anything off of Strictly Commercial I'd say likely  there would be very little overlap between the mixes.

Me, i'm just going to put Billy the Mountain on mine.  That's it, here's your mixtape.

~Paul
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2005, 04:55:01 am
Dammit!  You beat me to it.  

I just listen to Billy the Mountain an hour ago.  Good ol' Studebaker Hoch and his cocksucking flies.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2005, 05:25:35 am
Quote from: "Doc"
I just want to make sure I understand what I wish to undertake here, between my friends and I a mix tape has always just been a collection of cool songs normally with some kind of thematic link or at least an order in which they are good to listen to, this is what is being discussed here?
Just wanted to check before I start amassing and sorting through songs and then everyone else goes fully DJ on me with the mixing and the splicing and I am the non-musical jerk.

Well, that's what I mean. I picked out some tracks that I associated with a theme (in this case, Murakami Haruki's novel Pinball 1973), put them in an order I felt was pleasing, and burnt a CD. No mixmasterology here.

Also, just out of curiosity: has everyone who wants a CD PM'ed their address? Seriously, don't worry; you don't have to be a non-newbie or be a member of the Awesome Kids Club or anything. I will send CDs to all, although it may take me some time to figure out how to mail stuff to Australia (sorry, Doc, but I'll try).
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: starlight on December 08, 2005, 08:11:18 am
Well, now I did.

..and I dunno of that Murakami novel and I thought I read them all... what in the hell?

I'll have to go googling in a bit here....

[Edit: Okay, I checked wikipedia and read it was out of print, so it made more sense (the earliest book I read was 'A Sheep Chase' and I've read everything that came after that is in english).

I did find this (http://www.geocities.jp/yoshio_osakabe/Haruki/Books/Pinball_1973.html).  is it the whole thing?  if so, I'll get to reading it sometime soon.

Anyway, yeah, what a diversion...
back to music talk!]
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2005, 03:29:28 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
Well, now I did.

..and I dunno of that Murakami novel and I thought I read them all... what in the hell?

I'll have to go googling in a bit here....

[Edit: Okay, I checked wikipedia and read it was out of print, so it made more sense (the earliest book I read was 'A Sheep Chase' and I've read everything that came after that is in english).

I did find this (http://www.geocities.jp/yoshio_osakabe/Haruki/Books/Pinball_1973.html).  is it the whole thing?  if so, I'll get to reading it sometime soon.

Anyway, yeah, what a diversion...
back to music talk!]

That is the full thing, yeah. (As far as I know, Pinball has never come out in a legitimate English-language translation over here, which is sort of stupid, since it's a direct prequel to Wild Sheep Chase. It's the second book in the Rat Tetralogy, or so I have been told; I'm led to understand that the Rat Tetralogy has been indifferently localized at best.)
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Bozack on December 08, 2005, 05:37:30 pm
Have you guys read Kafka On The Beach?
Some might disagree, but I personally believe that the book form itself was carved out of fluffy clouds by beautiful angels, who pressed the forms into pages in a vice made of love. The words were then written in gold, and were not written by Murakam; yes, his was the hand which held the pen, but that hand was moved by the ineffable hand of God himself.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: starlight on December 08, 2005, 06:14:34 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Have you guys read Kafka On The Beach?
Some might disagree, but I personally believe that the book form itself was carved out of fluffy clouds by beautiful angels, who pressed the forms into pages in a vice made of love. The words were then written in gold, and were not written by Murakam; yes, his was the hand which held the pen, but that hand was moved by the ineffable hand of God himself.


Mmm yeah... it was my fav. book I read this year though I admit, I didn't read a lot of books this year.  still!

I actually tried to write a surrealistic novel last year (there were things falling out of the sky and an old man) and once I read this, I realised I was so off though I felt weird there were similar elements at all knowing I hadn't read this yet even if Murakami was an influence on it.  of course, I say this like I'm some accomplished author.... really, it was just for that NaNoWriMo thing.. and this year I failed at even making it past 1k.  heh.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Doc on December 08, 2005, 11:24:08 pm
Don't sweat it V, this rock is a fair franging way away. Thanks for allaying (alaying? Allying? damnit) my fears re: mixtapes.

Now I have to find these books too... if only becuase the titles sound good.
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2005, 06:05:50 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I will send CDs to all, although it may take me some time to figure out how to mail stuff to Australia (sorry, Doc, but I'll try).

It's just like mailing anywhere else, you just gotta put a few more stamps on.

~Paul
Title: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Golfhaus on December 09, 2005, 01:38:27 pm
Yeah... I mailed some envelopes to Australia a few weeks ago, and it came to 60 cents a piece. So I would imagine that whatever it costs to mail CD's, roughly double it and it should work out. I just went to the post office to do it, so I'd just let them handle the details.

On a side note, it boggles me that it costs a dollar for me to get a double cheeseburger at McDonald's, but 60 cents to take an envelope of stuff and send it to the other side of the planet.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Bozack on December 21, 2005, 04:40:28 am
So what's going on with this? We doin' it? I'm thinking I might make a mix CD, and then couple it with a CD in which I cover all of the songs- just me, my Danelectro Longhorn (http://www.danguitars.com/images/Img132.jpg), GarageBand and a dream!
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on December 21, 2005, 05:04:26 am
So what's going on with this? We doin' it? I'm thinking I might make a mix CD, and then couple it with a CD in which I cover all of the songs- just me, my Danelectro Longhorn (http://www.danguitars.com/images/Img132.jpg), GarageBand and a dream!
I'm working on it. Due to finals week, I failed to print out the cover art before break, so I plan to do the distro in early January. Mea culpa...
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Bozack on December 21, 2005, 07:07:44 am
Oh, no, I wasn't asking "WHERE'S MY DAMN MIX TAPE!"
I was wondering whether we were doing another Achewood swap. Mea culpa to you, my dear lady!
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: theinevitable on December 21, 2005, 05:14:30 pm
bozack, I think I want to steal your guitar.

Or, just take a picture of it. To look at in my private moments...
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Bozack on December 23, 2005, 10:50:26 pm
bozack, I think I want to steal your guitar.

Or, just take a picture of it. To look at in my private moments...

It took me a damn month to find that guitar. It has the longest fingerboard of any production model guitar, ever, and Link Wray played one.
Whether or not it actually sounds good is a question I leave to the Philosophers, but I am in love with it. Also, mine is SPARKLYYYY.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on January 31, 2006, 08:31:24 pm
Sorry to necromance this topic, but just so people know, I just sent out the mixtapes. Mea culpa on the delay. Everyone who PM'd an address, expect mail. (Paul, I sent yours to the address you gave me way back when; if it doesn't work, my apologies, and I'll resend.)
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Bozack on January 31, 2006, 09:55:58 pm
hoorayyyy!!
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 01, 2006, 02:33:17 am
(Paul, I sent yours to the address you gave me way back when; if it doesn't work, my apologies, and I'll resend.)

I'm still nominally there.  I'm not in Utah yet at any rate, but in San Antonio training and home for the weekend.  Next week is my last week in San Antonio then i'll have a few days to pack up and get to Utah.  So It should be waiting for me when I get home Friday evening.

~Paul
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 04, 2006, 04:43:32 am
Arrived!!!

~Paul
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2006, 05:04:00 am
I got mine yesterday
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2006, 05:17:31 am
I got one! hoorah!

I have not yet put it in the cd machine. but I like the track list.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2006, 07:57:38 pm
Glad to hear they're getting there okay.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: AugustWest on February 04, 2006, 10:03:26 pm
Nothing like an unexpected Mix-CD to brighten up the day.  Thanks, V!
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: starlight on February 04, 2006, 10:50:18 pm
I just got it today... I like the cover art :D
(oh and I got to track 6 before I had to restart my computer.. I shall carry on in a minute!)
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: theinevitable on February 05, 2006, 04:18:53 am
my girlfriend has asked if she can burn a copy.
so, it is a success! it brings people together! (normally we listen to opposite music).

thank you a lot. it made me glad.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on February 05, 2006, 05:45:29 am
my girlfriend has asked if she can burn a copy.
so, it is a success! it brings people together! (normally we listen to opposite music).

thank you a lot. it made me glad.

Yay! I'm glad it was liked. (Also, thank you for liking my weird cover art, Starlight!)
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: sjlimmer on February 05, 2006, 05:17:04 pm
Mine came yesterday, along with a shitload of other stuff I had recently purchased (The Go! Team, Tullycraft, Amusement Parks on Fire, Mclusky, Yesterday's New Quintet).

It was a musical-icious day.  Too bad about the inky fingerprint on the mix that made it skip, just a little.  I'm sure it'll clean off, I just haven't done it yet.

Anyway, the point of this all is:  thanks, V!
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2006, 03:12:29 pm
No problem. Sorry about the fingerprint; it was a busy day at the CD-Burn-o-mat.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Doc on February 07, 2006, 09:37:47 am
V, you are godly.
The Shatner alone.....

The only song I didn't really care for was hotel, but apart from that it was golden.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on February 07, 2006, 07:39:40 pm
Seriously, wasn't the Shatner track a thing? I got Has Been on a lark, figuring it'd be hipster-iron-o-tastic, and then "What Have You Done" cued up and I just lost it. It's really the anchor of the mixtape -- or, at least, the reason I chose to make a mixtape about a novel about an emotionally-retarded Japanese man dealing with his girlfriend's suicide.

(No, not Norwegian Wood. The other one.)

"Hotel" is mostly thematic; there's better stuff by the band, but that fit the theme best.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2006, 07:56:21 pm
Was able to give the mix a solid listen for the first time last night.  Very engaging, the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts*, and that is the mark of a great mixtape.  Excellent.  I'm with doc, the only song I didn't like was Hotel.

~Paul

*Except for All We Have is Now which is awesome all by itself.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: theinevitable on February 07, 2006, 09:26:12 pm
um.
I liked the Hotel song.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on February 08, 2006, 01:32:32 am
um.
I liked the Hotel song.

Well, I do too, or else I wouldn't have put it on. I can see how it wouldn't quite be to people's tastes, though, so I was attempting to explain why it was on the mix at all. Is all I'm saying.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I'm glad that people derived enjoyment from this in general.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 08, 2006, 03:17:46 am
Is that Broken Social Scene's "Hotel?"
Not my favorite track on that record by any means, but it's OK.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on February 08, 2006, 03:35:26 am
Is that Broken Social Scene's "Hotel?"
Not my favorite track on that record by any means, but it's OK.

Nope; it's by one of my weird Interweb-band favorites, Raised By Wolves. (http://www.raisedbywolvesmusic.com) No BSS, although "Anthem for a 17-Year-Old Girl" could have worked.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: miles on February 08, 2006, 03:56:12 am
Hmm.  It sounds like They Might Be Giants after they discovered my uncle's really shitty effects processor and found the INCUBUS setting.

And I don't mean this in a bad way.

Yes, my uncle really does have one. I wasn't just being clever. It's actually not that shitty. It's kinda fun to fuck around with.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 04:05:04 am
Is that Broken Social Scene's "Hotel?"
Not my favorite track on that record by any means, but it's OK.

I hope that's not BSS.  If it is, they might just have to lose one of their S's.

~Paul
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 08, 2006, 04:28:41 am
Nope; it's by one of my weird Interweb-band favorites, Raised By Wolves. (http://www.raisedbywolvesmusic.com) No BSS, although "Anthem for a 17-Year-Old Girl" could have worked.

Oh ok.  The case is in the car so I couldn't check.  Although Anthem for a 17 year old Girl would have been awesome, Anthem by Rush would have been awsomer.

~Paul
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: jough on February 11, 2006, 09:52:48 am
I still haven't gotten one. :(

Do I not rate?
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Doc on February 11, 2006, 12:18:51 pm
Just overcompensate.

I am so, so sorry
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: V-Adore on February 13, 2006, 12:31:38 pm
I still haven't gotten one. :(

Do I not rate?

According to my records, you never PM'd me your address. If'n you do so, I'll fix your lack of CD right quick.
Title: Re: So... who wants a mixtape?
Post by: Doc on February 13, 2006, 01:42:07 pm
Not really relevant but I would like to humbly apologised for previously maligning hotel, it now lives in my head.
But I think that hair is wrong.