The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: yu-huang on December 04, 2005, 06:56:16 pm
-
For what I gather, I already hate "Closer" with a passion. I also intend to hate that Q. Tarantino production called "Hostel" that's coming out anytime now. Many more (many, many more) to come... ^^
-
Man, you are just a glutton for punishment. The big man loves Quentin Tarantino.
~Paul
-
Is the big man Jough or God in this context? Also, Hostel? I have not heard of so far and I am a reasonably big QT fan, (Movies == Good, Audio Commentary involving him == SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!, seriously check the deleted scenes on pulp fiction some time).
For once I actually don't have any movies to pre-emptively hate off the top of my head, just a second....
Huh, just looking at the next couple of months releases I can't really bring myself to froth over anything, though this is Australian releases you may be more inundated with excrement over there.
Let's go with Zorro since sequels almost always suck especially when there's a kid to do cute yet heroic kid stuff (anyone remember the Mummy 2?).
Fuck*ng Kids.
-
For what I gather, I already hate "Closer" with a passion.
Answering my questions in another thread by starting a new thread is something a dick does.
Baby baby, I'm just kidding.. why you gotta make me hit YOU?!
-
For what I gather, I already hate "Closer" with a passion.
From what you gather? You aren't sure yet, or you were in the middle of watching it while you wrote this post?
I also intend to hate that Q. Tarantino production called "Hostel" that's coming out anytime now. Many more (many, many more) to come... ^^
You intend to hate a movie that you have not seen yet? Man, you really are a fuckin' crap dude, aren't you?
-
*gives up, runs away crying*
-
For what it's worth, if you happen to live with some people below the age of 10, you get to see LOTS of movies you know you are going to hate:
Like:
Wild Thornberrys
Rugrats
SpongeBob Square#####
The Disney one with the Llama
SpyKids 2
SpyKids 3D
Movies I hate but haven't seen yet:
March of the Penguins
*****s
-
March of the Penguins was excellent. Excellent photography and not smarmy, cutesy or heartwarming in the least.
I only saw the first Spy Kids, and it was pretty darn good. The other two looked pretty cheesy.
Haven't seen SpongeBob movie, but I dig the humor on the cartoons, so I'd probably be OK with the movie.
Chicken Little looks contrived to me.
-
March of the Penguins was excellent. Excellent photography and not smarmy, cutesy or heartwarming in the least.
I only saw the first Spy Kids, and it was pretty darn good. The other two looked pretty cheesy.
Haven't seen SpongeBob movie, but I dig the humor on the cartoons, so I'd probably be OK with the movie.
Chicken Little looks contrived to me.
So two hours of documentary footage of penguins was tolerable? I'm still not sure I could take it. It sounds like somthing that should be on an IMAX - was it?
The first spy kids was OK but, yeah, the others, feh. Spongebob: I fell asleep during the movie (in the theater) but it had funny bits.
I have to say that my wife actually takes the kid to the live Sesame Street shows. I'm sure I couldn't take that.
-
I think they did release an IMAX version.
It's not a long movie -- maybe 1:20. But the story is pretty compelling. Those formal little boids overcome some serious adversity just to reproduce.
-
I think they did release an IMAX version.
It's not a long movie -- maybe 1:20. But the story is pretty compelling. Those formal little boids overcome some serious adversity just to reproduce.
Yeah, it's actually not smarmy-cutesy, if that's what you're worried about. They adequately convey how harrowing life in the wild is for penguins (almost a little too much -- after a certain point, I got to thinking "oh, how are they going to kill a penguin in this segment now?"). My only complaint is that they anthropomorphocize more than might be technically appropriate; there's a lot of attribution of humanlike emotions to the penguins, which as a scientist I find pretty dubious. On the other hand, that allows the creation of an actual narrative, which is a plus for the viewer.
Really, unless you hate looking at penguins, you'll probably at least find MotP tolerable. It's an impressive look at life at extremes.
-
eww! ack no! Spy Kids? This movie is filth beneath my foot! I don't think the sequels would any better.*
Movie I think I would hate? Well up until a few weeks ago I though I would hate "A Very Long Engagement" but that turned out to be pretty good. I thought it was going to be an annoying Romance Movie, but it was an interesting and funny romance movie. How come the french can pull off a good romance but Hollywood can't?
I am pretty sure I wouldn't like the new Harry Potter movie, Rent, Jarhead, Get Rich or Die Trying, Saw 2, The Devil's Rejects or Ocean Twelve. But I'll probably end up seeing them and loving them all. I'm normally wrong when I judge a movie before seeing it.
*Remember, to each his own
-
I am pretty sure I wouldn't like the new Harry Potter movie, Rent, Jarhead, Get Rich or Die Trying, Saw 2, The Devil's Rejects or Ocean Twelve. But I'll probably end up seeing them and loving them all. I'm normally wrong when I judge a movie before seeing it.
I can't speak for the others, but Ocean's Twelve is fun if you take the movie on its own terms. It's nowhere near as smart as Ocean's 11, and nowhere near as focused on the heist elements, but it's a film where a lot of people are obviously having a lot of fun on their second outing as the characters. (Julia Roberts's character in particular is actually given something to do.) Skippable if you didn't see or care for the first, but if you liked the first one, O12 may well work for you.
-
Dude, come on now. Spy Kids 3d is fine if you see it as it is meant to be seen: at the drivein with friends, with pot, chocolate bars, and cheap red wine.
-
Dude, come on now. Spy Kids 3d is fine if you see it as it is meant to be seen: at the drivein with friends, with pot, chocolate bars, and cheap red wine.
That's just a recipe for me vomiting.
-
Oh wow, I almost yacked just reading that andalucia. But if that can make SpyKids good then more power to ya!
V-Adore like I said I'm ussually wrong about movies that I judge too quicky. So if you say Oceans 12 is good, then I'll probably check it out sooner than later. I think the reason I hated the idea was that I liked the first one so much and the second was looked so bad in the previews, that I didn't want the the second one to ruin it for me. I just hope you're right, I'll watch it this weekend and report back commander.
-
I have to say, although the idea of hating a movie before one sees it seems kind of...well a lot of things, I guess I do it often enough. Usually, that opinion won't keep me from watching a movie (being broke does that), and I certainly don't intend to hate it if I do see it, but it does keep me from going out of my way to see it. If a preview makes me cringe, or I hate one of the actors, or if the director/screenwriter's previous work didn't do it for me, I will sometimes make the judgment that I probably won't like it.
-
Star Wars Episode III.
[/obvious obviousness]
-
Dude, come on now. Spy Kids 3d is fine if you see it as it is meant to be seen: at the drivein with friends, with pot, chocolate bars, and cheap red wine.
The Drive In is back!!! God Bless America. You forgot to mention sex in the front and back seat. Being teenagers and trading partners at intermission. That is a recipe for fun. Those were the days.
~Paul
-
Jeez, Paul, way to rub it in. We didn't all get to go to Ridgemont High.
-
You are all insane. Hating movies before seeing them is the only moral stand left when --
--Boring, what I wanted to say is: Dudes, why is your TV kicking your movies' ass lately? More craft wit and care in one episode of "Monk" than in a year's worth of sequels, prequels, in-betweenels, adaptations and remakes; http://www.juicycerebellum.com/usedideas.htm
-
Monk? Are you kidding me?
-
No I am not kidding you. I am not. Kidding you.
Miles: I am not kidding you.
-
Hey, there's TV that indeed, kicks the movie industry's ass, but Monk indeed...
Also, as for obviousness. I too put down Star Wars Ep III. Not going to watch it. Haven't even watched II. Thanks to the prequels I am now horribly conflicted about Star Wars, and take little interest in a fictional universe I once loved.
-
Hey, there's TV that indeed, kicks the movie industry's ass, but Monk indeed...
Also, as for obviousness. I too put down Star Wars Ep III. Not going to watch it. Haven't even watched II. Thanks to the prequels I am now horribly conflicted about Star Wars, and take little interest in a fictional universe I once loved.
Good job Slink! Only 11 Steps to go! Your sponsor has got to be SO proud of you.
-
i think monk is excellent entertainment.
-
Good job Slink! Only 11 Steps to go! Your sponsor has got to be SO proud of you.
Yeah. Now I just smoke and drink... *
And Ark, I tried to watch Monk, and maybe it's gotten better, but I just couldn't really get into it.
(actually, I think they're 11 and 10)
-
It wasn't horrible by any means, but I wouldn't put it with the best that TV has to offer, and I wouldn't say it's better or even on par with the best that Hollywood or any film industry has to offer.
And the guy really fuck*ng annoys me. But I haven't watched it since it's first season.
-
And the guy really fuck*ng annoys me. But I haven't watched it since it's first season.
well, he really is an annoying person.
~~~
"Hi Mr. Monk, Nice to meet you"
-extend hand for handshake-
"uh, i can't touch you, germs, germs, AAARRRRRGGGHHH"
~~~
there is nothing new under the sun or on tv, but it's fairly nice
to watch something slightly different.
so, rather than "how is he going to solve the crime in the last 10 minutes of the show this time?" you get "what is going to grab his attention in some OCD manner at the last minute to almost stop him from solving the crime?".
maybe because i only watch the show occassionally is it that i enjoy it.
-
I've always wondered about Monk. The SO really likes it, but the SO likes a lot of weird things, and I'm convinced that he's just into it because the protagonist is more neurotic than he is. I'm not sure I could stand it for a minute.
-
I think it's funny. I like Monk as a show a lot (I liked the first assistant better, though). I think if I perceived myself as being like him it would scare me though.
-
Dude, come on now. Spy Kids 3d is fine if you see it as it is meant to be seen: at the drivein with friends, with pot, chocolate bars, and cheap red wine.
The Drive In is back!!! God Bless America. You forgot to mention sex in the front and back seat. Being teenagers and trading partners at intermission. That is a recipe for fun. Those were the days.
Jeez, Paul, way to rub it in. We didn't all get to go to Ridgemont High.
Oh man, that shit went on all the time.*
~Paul
*Once, it happened once and technically it wasn't even sex, certainly not by todays standard, just heavy petting. I did have sex with one of those girls, but not that night. There was this one time though..., but that wasn't at the drive in.
-
*Once, it happened once and technically it wasn't even sex, certainly not by todays standard, just heavy petting. I did have sex with one of those girls, but not that night. There was this one time though..., but that wasn't at the drive in.
There should be a name for the mix of confusion, intrigue, and fear that I'm feeling right now.
Something like.....infearsion.
Anyway, sounds like a lively drive-in.
-
Good job Slink! Only 11 Steps to go! Your sponsor has got to be SO proud of you.
Yeah. Now I just smoke and drink... *
And Ark, I tried to watch Monk, and maybe it's gotten better, but I just couldn't really get into it.
(actually, I think they're 11 and 10)
Wait, I wasn't paying attention - I thought you quit smoking. Oh, slink. Ohhh, slink. Sigh.
-
I'm a movie snob, so I'll hate everything that's coming out.
I'm so lonely.
-
No Schkura, you're not. That's the spirit.
-
The thread about The Ringer inspired me to add the following film to this list:
The Ringer
Also, all CG movies not made by Pixar are total shit. There was a preview for one before King Kong where Bruce Willis plays a squirrel or something. Each one is worse than the one that came before it. It's a mathematic law or somesuch.
-
I add "Broke Back Mountain" to the pile. Gay cowboys? Sigh, yeah Ang, go ahead and "push the envelope" - oh wait, the "envelope" has already been pushed. Over ten fuck*ng years ago. In fact, next year the "envelope" will be torn open and they will say, "and the Oscar for best film goes to 'a film not entitled Broke Back Mountain!'" I don't care how hot two strait guys are, it is not sexy or provocative to make them kiss, it's just a shameless Oscar push. Boo. Boo to that.
-
I don't care how hot two strait guys are, it is not sexy or provocative to make them kiss, it's just a shameless Oscar push.
And yet, the exact opposite thing happens with women. Go figure.
-
Well for women, we've got the shameless sex-ploitation kiss, and then we've now got the Oscar-push lesbian kissing a-la "Monster." Yeah, there were a lot of not sexy moments in that film. I worry about anyone who found that movie sexy - you could damn near smell the stale stink of nicotine and day old cum coming off Charlize Theron in that movie.
-
I add "Broke Back Mountain" to the pile. .
I've had this problem where every time I mention this film, I subconsciously call it "bareback mountain".
Go figure.