The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bozack on December 02, 2005, 03:09:32 pm
-
Okay, we need to construct some sort of beer hierarchy, because you cannot simply say that PBR is an absolute shit beer without noting the existence of the Beast and Natty Ice. We're going to have to rate things. It might get tough. Tensions might be revealed. Dare I posit that tempers might FLARE.
I think we can safely say that Natural Ice is at the very bottom (in the dog piss category), followed by Milwaukee's Best (dog piss), etc. We need to categorize into "Dog Piss," "Piss Water," "Hobo Piss," "Cheap Beer," etc., all the way up to "Reward Beer."
-
As an aussie I would be very keen to see a rated list of US beers. Also if you could manage a list for "tastes good when already stoned" and "awesome after a root" - that'd be way cool.
-
Beer snobbery is a preposterous idea. Have some dignity.
~Paul
-
I'm not a beer drinker, so I can't help rate, but I would love to see such a list myself, because I'm a nerd like that.
If anyone wants to do a whiskey list, though, I will try any sent to me.
-
Beer snobbery is a preposterous idea. Have some dignity.
~Paul
There's nothing snobby about drinking beer that doesn't taste like molding onions soaked in hoss urine. On the other hand, I'll admit....
I sometimes drink PBR. The bar right down the street from my house has it on tap for $.50, and it is drinkable - several notches above, say, Busch Light, Milwaukee's Best (Light or not), or Keystone.
I'd like to clarify this by saying that I also appreciate actual good beer, beer that I'd be willing to pay more than $.50 for. I don't think that appreciating beer is snobbery, nor ranking beer - snobbery implies that you have an aversion or attraction to something based on non-practical reasons - for instance, idiots like designer clothing not because it's attractive (most of it isn't), but because it's expensive and recognizable, and therefore a status symbol. I like good beer because it tastes good, regardless of price or brand.
So, sorry Paul, much respect for you and whatever you're drinking, but let the classification commence!
edit: Let me also say that this discussion should probably be moved to Sports and Leisure.
-
Realizing that there are people in this world who actually drink non alcoholic beer. I ask you, would any of you drink even the best tasting beer in the world if it did not have the accompanying intoxicating effect? I say no because even the best tasting beers are pretty damn bad relatively speaking. No one ever drinks beer for the taste ever. Ever!
~Paul
-
Realizing that there are people in this world who actually drink non alcoholic beer. I ask you, would any of you drink even the best tasting beer in the world if it did not have the accompanying intoxicating effect? I say no because even the best tasting beers are pretty damn bad relatively speaking. No one ever drinks beer for the taste ever. Ever!
~Paul
Good argument but...wrong. I drink beer for the beer taste! The unfortunate thing about beer is that in order to get that taste, it has to have alcohol - the breakdown of sugars by yeast produces a lot of the flavor, and the alcohol allows it to last more than 8 minutes - unfortunately, non-fermented beer is pretty much the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive in, and is also non-carbonated. N-A beer tastes terrible because they've had to do all sorts of things to remove the alcohol while still making sure it won't kill you.
When I'm drinking good beer, usually I drink one - no intoxicating effects whatsoever, just delicious flavor. Actually that tends to be why I drink more when I drink terrible beer, because as the drunkening commences, the terrible flavor is less and less of a problem. Good beer I drink for the delicious beer flavor, as do most other beer lovers. If they could make NA beer that tasted like some of my favorite beers, I'd be drinking it ALL THE TIME. Rather than reaching for a glass of water or a coke, I'd be having delicious beer, all the time (and would probably develop a weight problem). As it stands, however, I only have a beer once a week or so, and it's special and delicious, and I hope that someday you too will find a beer that you would like to drink for flavor alone.
edit: Why does phpBB add an extra (/b) when I've clearly already done so? WHY!?
-
Good post!
I agree. At a restaurant, I will drink a premium beer (just one or two) and enjoy it.
I rarely drink beer for the effects - it takes too much of it for the effect to be interesting.
Now Tequila, on the other hand...
-
i used to drink natural lite. don't remember if i drank ice or not.
it really wasn't bad.
i keep looking for busch lite, because i figure it will be cheap like busch.
i kind of like busch, after the 1st half of a bottle.
whenever i get confused about why someone rabidly thinks his chevy pickup is vastly superior to someone's ford pickup, and vice versa, a take a nce long pull off my miller lite and vocally scorn any and all who drink that crap that pretends to be beer, bud lite. and then i go help the chevy guy beat up the ford guy.
good times.
so,
can you afford it?
do you like sitting in it?
and, to me, most importantly, does it get you where you need to go?
i mean,
is someone with an overbored 1.8->2.0 liter, turboed, and nitrous'd
requiring octane booster to pump 93 when running full boost getting
4 mpg really justified in saying how ineffiecient that dude in his escalade really is?
i mean, dude, you are throwing cash at something and it is getting you where you want to go.
-
I drink beer for the taste. Oh, god, do I love beer. Beery beery beer.
If I'm drinking for taste, I'll get a nice Brooklyn Pale Ale, maybe a Magic Hat, depending on how I feel. If they have a special seasonal Magic Hat out, I'll grab that (The HI.P.A. tastes like weed. And also, amazingly, tastes good.).
Right now, I'm happy to have discovered Woodpecker English Cider- 4.2% alcohol by volume (about the same as Bud Light), and really quite delightful. I have declared it the "beer of breakfast," as the apple accents really go well with sausage and eggs. Boddington's is the "beer of lunch," and Guiness is the "beer of dinner," or possible just "dinner," as it is basically like eating a pound of potatoes.
-
When I was down in New York for Thanksgiving, my cousin got me hooked on Belhaven. That's a beer to love.
-
Hell yes I drink beer for the taste.
Or I did, before I started this diet. I been on the wagon all week, and beer's pretty much verboten anyway even when I can drink.
To address the question at hand:
I can appreciate Beef Tenderloin, yet I still eat at White Castle occasionally. Thus it is for beer. There is a time and a place for all things, including cheap beer.
Do I recognize that Bass is better than Stroh's? Sure. But I still drink Stroh's sometimes. Or Little Kings. Or Miller High Life. Or Milwaukee's Best. Because sometimes it's just the right thing to do.
Actually, I miss some of the regional cheap brews. I'm thinking mainly of Sterling at this point. I know they still make it, but it's in cans and it doesn't taste the same as when it was in the old squat brown bottles. Miss that stuff.
-
I ask you, would any of you drink even the best tasting beer in the world if it did not have the accompanying intoxicating effect?
I have to say that the most disappointing thing about moving to NYC from the Bay Area is the fact that a lot of folks in NYC seem to have pmcd9's attitude. It is much more difficult, on average, to get good beer in a NYC bar it is in a bar in San Francisco (or Oakland or Berkeley). It's like they don't even care about beer over here. In the Bay Area even the diviest of dives would have like awesome microbrews on tap, but here in NYC I think people don't even want to hear the word "microbrew." Or even "local brewery" (Brooklyn Brewery excepted). "Drink your Sam Adams and be happy about it!"
Maybe I'm just going to the wrong bars.
-
The worst Beer I ever tasted was Shaeffer. I think it was .99 for a sixer. Mind, this was in the early 80's, but still, that's f'n cheap. Damn was it bad.
~Paul
-
I was at a New Year's Eve show that featured a Natty Boh toast a midnight. It was so bad that virtually nobody took more than the first sip. This was free alcohol on New Year's Eve at midnight and people still weren't interested.
This is how bad National Bohemian is.
-
Australia's XXX beer is really good.
Around here we like a local brew called "Yeungling Lager." They claim to be the longest-continually-running-brewery-in-the-country. They're not quite a micro-brewery, but not big enough to be big. But it's tasty and goes well with burgers at a barbeque.
-
My roommate comes from Delaware, and every time he goes he brings a case or two of Yuengling back. He swears by it. It's not my favorite, but it's certainly not without its charm - and I have to appreciate it because of all the work he puts into bringing it out.
I don't have an absolute favorite, I don't think, since it depends on mood, and whether/what I'm eating, but current top-runners are Guinness (the traditional standby), Rogue Mocha Porter (the best porter ever, as far as I've seen), or Bell's Amber. During the summertime, Upland Wheat creeps on to the list. I think Bell's and Upland are regional, but Rogue seems to be spreading, and Guinness is most assuredly available at your corner store.
Come to think of it, New Belgium's Abbey Ale should probably be on there somewhere, except that I don't like it all the time, for some reason - it's a very mood-dependent beer.
-
Australia's XXX beer is really good.
Around here we like a local brew called "Yeungling Lager." They claim to be the longest-continually-running-brewery-in-the-country. They're not quite a micro-brewery, but not big enough to be big. But it's tasty and goes well with burgers at a barbeque.
"Ying Ling" is a lock for Most Misspelled/Mispronounced Beer.
-
Maybe I'm just going to the wrong bars.
Finding a good bar in NYC is hell, man. Most people here give up on beer, because the options are usually thus:
a)Go to a bar and buy a beer, for $3 or more. Then buy another one. Then buy another one. With tip, you're probably out $11 or more, and three beers doesn't do much for me if I'm actively trying to kill my liver, which is the only time I usually go to a bar.
b)Go to a bar and buy a Long Island Ice Tea, or some other god-awful concotion that could clean drains, for $7, drink it really fast and get wasted.
The best option is really c)Go to Dallas BBQ and get a Texas-sized frozen drink; it's literally a cereal bowl filled with the cheapest liquor God ever made, and with an extra shot (served in a test tube!), it comes out to be $8. Also, they always bring it out before your food, so you usually drink half of it on an empty stomach.
Where in New York do you live? Perhaps I can point you in the direction of some cool places.
Gentrification foot soldiers unite, yo!
-
Australia's XXX beer is really good.
Around here we like a local brew called "Yeungling Lager." They claim to be the longest-continually-running-brewery-in-the-country. They're not quite a micro-brewery, but not big enough to be big. But it's tasty and goes well with burgers at a barbeque.
I had a couple of those when I was in Pittsburgh. Tasty.
-
At college (Auburn University, where we LOVE the BCS), we generally followed this hierarchy of beer, from cheapest/most desperate:
Natural Light/Milwaukee's Best
MGD/MGDlight
Southpaw (Reigonal cheap beer)
Icehouse
Miller High Life/High Life Light
Miller Lite/Bud Light/Coors <- "Workhoss beers"
Michelob, Red Stripe, Corona, etc.
Guinness, Bass Ale, Harp, etc.
Which we had was basically a function of what was on sale, how much money was available, and whether there was liquor. Most of the time everyone would bring their preferred Workhoss beer, and then supplement it later in the evening with crappy cheap stuff. It was very rare to drink more than one "premium" beer.
I may be remembering this list wrong, as I really only drank beer my senior year, and stuck to Jack and Coke when it was available*. Nowadays I don't drink, because I think paying 2 bucks in a restaurant for a drink with refills is exorbidant, and drinking alone at home is very sad, indeed.
So, yeah. I basically justify computer/toy purchases by accounting for all the money I've saved by not drinking or smoking. Sad but true!
*And I made it available, 'cause I was that asshole who had money saved for college and then got a scholarship on top of it and a supplemental scholarship on top of that. I shared the Jack rewards, though.
-
Coors Light is pretty much just water.
Bud Lite is piss (literally).
You can't really count other light beers in terms of taste, because they're all pretty much swill.
Guinness technically is stoudt, not beer.
Sam Adams is pretty decent. Wheaty.
Heineken is the official beer of sushi bars. I don't know why, but every sushi place I've ever seen always has Heineken (and usually some Japanese beer like Sapporo or Zing Tao/Jing Dao, which are about the worst damn beers on the planet).
Corona is practically Mexican water, except you can drink it.
Red Stripe is new for me - just had one about a month ago. I wasn't impressed.
Belgian Beer tends to be really hopsy, and is more like a meal than a beverage. Some of the Belgian Ales are really good too. St. Sixtus, etc.
I like sampling the microbrews stuff - most of the beer distros in PA will offer sampler cases of various microbrew beers, but I'm always annoyed when they try to sneak in "Cranberry Nut Crunch Ale" or something fruity like that. I want beer-flavoured beer.
I'm not drinking coffee until the end of the year (yesterday was my first day off the sauce - and it's just one day at a time from here on out) and I'm not much of a beer drinker anyway, so it's easy to drop that.
But I miss the connoisseur aspect of coffee and alcoholic beverages. What else can one be a connoisseur of? Iced tea? Bottled water? It's just not the same. I need to be particular about some kind of healthy (and cheap) drink now. Any ideas?
-
High-quality teas, maybe?
-
My girlfriend's dad got into that a while ago, he's opened a tea shop and everything. My opinion, as someone who is not into hot beverages in any way, is 'bleh' they smell real good but most don't taste anything special.
I don't know if you have those juice/smoothy places over there like we do here but you could be one of those guys who is totally into how many shots of wheatgrass he wants in his breakfast anti-entropy fruit-shake.
That seems the healthiest overly picky thing I can think of off the top of my head.
Or become a total asshole about buying expensive bottled water.
-
Over here in Brazil my favorite is Miller. On the other end there's "Itaipava", a local beer from a town called... Itaipava, which is just watered down beer, with no taste (since it costs only US$0.50, roughly, that's what we all go for when we're broke and want to get wasted quickly).
But in Rio there are some great places if you're into beer, man. They have this pub called Shenanigans ^^, where you have all these crazy bavarian beers which of course are hella expensive (US$15 a bottle, roughly), but boy, they're so strong and rich, one bottle will fuck you up to your haircut. You can see all those darned cereal grains lolling in the bottom of the bottle, the foam is all different-ey and shit.
Usually when we want to have a good Friday night and we have the money, we go to Shenanigans, have each one two bottles of the thing (by the end of the first you're lamenting not being born at the same time and place William Wallace was), then head to the car, light up a fatty... mad hijinks never failed to ensue.
I'll make sure I'll get the names of those brews down, 'cos I just realized that talking about beers without providing the names is really of no help.
-
Yeah, if you have to go all aficionado about something reasonably healthy, tea is your way to go. You can get really snobbish about it, and while some of us can't really taste the difference, this is of course because we're groundlings.
My beer experience is not extensive, but man, themed holiday beers are just wretched. I'll never forget the "celebration ale" a friend of mine passed around -- vile. Like drinkin a fuck*ng fermented Yule log.
-
The U.S. is a coffee and beer culture. You can get a cup of decent-enough coffee pretty much anywhere. Even the local gas station has good-enough brew.
Any bar will stock a decent beer (especially here in the Philly area where we have some fine local breweries), but to get a decent bottle of wine you pretty much have to go upscale. Same thing with a good Scotch.
Tea? Forget about it. Where the hell can you get a good cup of tea except in the ever-so-few tea shoppes? And who else but other tea drinkers are going to want to go there with you?
Plus, I'm not a fan of hot tea, other than when eating Chinese food.
The juice-bar thing was popular back in the mid-90s and I pretty much scoffed at it then as I wrapped my lips around a good Scotch. Now I wish the blended fruit drinks were more popular. You can't really get them around here unless you make them yourself or go down the shore to one of those not-so-popular stands on the boardwalk.
-
V is right that there's nothing snobbier than tea - for the very reason you cite which is that you can't go out and get good tea hardly anywhere in the US. See, if you want to be a drink snob, that's perfect. You can be too particular to even drink your favorite beverage in a restaurant, and have to make it at home. You can make a fuss every time the waiter comes around at the end of a meal to offer coffee or tea and expects you to use tea in bags.
But seriously, maybe once you'd made good tea you'd be more a fan of it. You can get all kinds of tea on line and know all kinds of nonsense about where it's grown, just like wine.
Here (http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/home.asp?UTid=2912-12-962308&afterCart=/shopcart/home.asp&) is one site with some teas that are more expensive than you ever imagined.
-
Over here in Brazil my favorite is Miller. On the other end there's "Itaipava", a local beer from a town called... Itaipava, which is just watered down beer, with no taste (since it costs only US$0.50, roughly, that's what we all go for when we're broke and want to get wasted quickly).
But in Rio there are some great places if you're into beer, man. They have this pub called Shenanigans ^^, where you have all these crazy bavarian beers which of course are hella expensive (US$15 a bottle, roughly), but boy, they're so strong and rich, one bottle will fuck you up to your haircut. You can see all those darned cereal grains lolling in the bottom of the bottle, the foam is all different-ey and shit.
Usually when we want to have a good Friday night and we have the money, we go to Shenanigans, have each one two bottles of the thing (by the end of the first you're lamenting not being born at the same time and place William Wallace was), then head to the car, light up a fatty... mad hijinks never failed to ensue.
I'll make sure I'll get the names of those brews down, 'cos I just realized that talking about beers without providing the names is really of no help.
Isn't Xingu Black Beer from Brazil? God I love that stuff, so malty good.
-
Yeah, Xingu's from here. Really good that one, we use to drink black malts during winter.
As for coffee, do you guys had some brazilian coffee already? We used to *punish* at it until sometime around the 60's, but now Colombia is all over it, IIRC.
I never tasted American coffee, but some friends say it's not as strong as ours, so much that it's another experience already. I don't know about that. I admit to be curious about the quality of Starbucks (although again some friends who went abroad to the US said it's still not as good) - one would have expected the franchise to have metastasized one or two spots already in Rio; apparently they'll have one opening next year or something.
-
American coffee is pretty strong - at least it is when I make it.
Of course, we don't GROW coffee here, so we rely on Columbian, Jamaican, and Italian beans. Brazillian coffee is still popular, although not as much as it was in the 80s.
Actually, I think coffee is grown in Hawaii, right? That's still America.
But your basic cup o' joe here is usually Columbian grown. Juan Valdez is a popular character.
-
Erdinger. Erdinger's the name of hed pliy gfhmm
-
Whoa, so I've missed this entire beer discussion till now.
Anyway, I really like Sam Adams. Someone dissed on it earlier in the thread. Every beer they make is good, and is always a good standby. In fact, after my flight over the Atlantic back to the US this summer, I ordered a Sam Adams at a pub in the airport (I can't even remember which airport, I was so fuck*ng tired. I'd have to look). It tasted so good. And I slept the entire way to Salt Lake.
Guiness is my favorite beer (stout, but beery enough) that is easy to find.
The best beer I've ever had (also a stout) I picked up in Copenhagen when I was staying in Germany. I brought it back and cracked it open on my birthday. It was made by Ceres and called Royal Stout (picture (http://www.jo-hansen.dk/beer/bryggerier/fotosider/F_Ceres_Royal_Stout_aagang2005_CE082_2005.html)). Now, the beers I had picked up were over 7% alcohol by volume, and this was the fourth beer I drank, so I was already starting to feel it a bit. But holy shit if it wasn't the tastiest stout I'd ever had. I also had Beamish for the first time in Germany, and it was every bit as good as Guiness, as I recall.
I pretty much prefer stout to anything. There are a few good locally brewed stouts here. The other night we ordered three pitchers of a Christmas Raspberry Stout. The sample tasted excellent. The first pitcher was good. The second was OK. The third we realized that the raspberry taste was a bit too overwhelming. But their standard stout--Latter Day Stout--is excellent. Not Guiness, but close enough. Their IPA is also excellent.
V is right that there's nothing snobbier than tea
Agreed: tea is a good thing to be snobby about. So is wine and certain types of hard liqour. Not exactly healthy, but healthier than beer. Anyway, I've wanted to spend more time with tea, but don't have it, or the money. Soon enough...
-
American coffee is pretty strong - at least it is when I make it.
Of course, we don't GROW coffee here, so we rely on Columbian, Jamaican, and Italian beans. Brazillian coffee is still popular, although not as much as it was in the 80s.
Actually, I think coffee is grown in Hawaii, right? That's still America.
But your basic cup o' joe here is usually Columbian grown. Juan Valdez is a popular character.
We grow coffee in Hawaii.
Tea may not be an option if he's quitting because of the caffeine - or the acidic quality - if so, then he's gotta drink green tea.
I had to switch to decaf when my guts went cattywumpus. It was the caffeeine and the fact that apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot). The actual test for that is both really expensive and not available here on Danger Island.
-
apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot).
That's a malady I've never heard of. It would seem to have lots of comedic potential in an SNL skit sort of way. Not to minimize its impact on you.
-
so i bought some Pete's wicked and six in cans of tecate,
hadn't realized the gas station known for beer actually
had beer for the 12 years i've lived here.
sad.
forgot how good pete's is,
and the tecate, oh dear, i assumed would be much cheaper.
much cheaper.
i assumed, so much, that i didn't look at the price before i bought it.
oh dear.
who pays almost 10 dollars for a six in cans of anything?
oh dear.
-
Ok, having survived some solid drinking last night I come back with some names. Duvet, Kwak and Erdinger - they're all from Belgium, and they are very strong - 8%; Kwak comes in a funny glass (a funny 500ml glass - it takes a while to finish them...). And asking some friends, this is what there is about the beer scene over here:
The most popular is called Skol, then you have a tie with Brahma and Antarctica below; scattered with some fanatic followers you have Itaipava (piss beer), Bavaria (bad-to-you beer); and then some smaller, specialized brews - your same-type deal of dark ales, winter ales, sweet beer (for me sweet beers are a bit like Mitch Hedberg went about pancakes: "you start 'em all excited, but then by the end you're fuck*ng sick of 'em"). Your Miller is very popular here (my favorite, actually), we also get Budweiser (which is just too bitter for me)... The other day Antarctica ran a TV ad where a woman licked beer foam out of her lips like if it was sperm. People here are fuck*ng *subtle*...
-
apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot).
Hypoglycemia sucks, I want to hypersecrete adrenaline! I'm imagining it giving you a dragonball-esque boost in energy in dangerous situations. That is probably not what it does.
Whenever I quit coffee, my dad makes me a merciless latte. Thanks, dad! Seriously, I am appreciative of his lattes.
-
Where in New York do you live? Perhaps I can point you in the direction of some cool places.
I'm up in Inwood/Washington Heights. "The Part Of Manhattan That's So Far North It's In The Bronx." I might be beyond help.
-
Anyway, I really like Sam Adams. Someone dissed on it earlier in the thread. Every beer they make is good, and is always a good standby.
That was me. I'm fine with Sam Adams, I just get frustrated when it's like the only drinkable beer available at a bar.
I pretty much prefer stout to anything. There are a few good locally brewed stouts here. The other night we ordered three pitchers of a Christmas Raspberry Stout. The sample tasted excellent. The first pitcher was good. The second was OK. The third we realized that the raspberry taste was a bit too overwhelming. But their standard stout--Latter Day Stout--is excellent. Not Guiness, but close enough. Their IPA is also excellent.
Maybe you can post a list of good local Utah brews? I left the state when I was too young to drink (and too emotionally immature to realize that it was an Okay Thing To Do) and have therefore never really had any good drinkin' when I'm back home over the holidays. Anyway, it would be cool to know what the good stuff is. So I don't have to get the 3.2 Bud from the supermarket.
-
Maybe you can post a list of good local Utah brews?
Yeah, and you can PM me if you'd like for specific locations, too, like near where you'll be.
These guys (http://www.wasatchbeers.com/) have some decent beer. Actually, I've only tried one, the Polygamy Porter, but it's good. I've heard the quality is pretty consistent across the board. They are up in Park City, but you can find the stuff in grocery stores and bars in the Salt Lake area.
I've tried a few from these guys (http://www.uintabrewing.com/). Or at least a couple. The Barley Wine is good, but you can only get it at liqour stores (unless some bars carry it--or maybe if you visit the location).
These guys (http://www.squatters.com/) have a pub downtown (I haven't been to this one, only the smaller one they have at the airport) but it's supposed to be good. I've tried a lot of their brews, and they are probably my favorite local brewery.
I can't find a website for Desert Edge, but it's at Trolley Square. Their Stout, Pilsener, and Utah Pale Ale are very excellent. Here's a decent site (http://www.beerme.com/breweries/us/ut/1511.shtml).
Most of the breweries make a really decent Hefeweizen, too.
If you want really strong beer at home, you have to go to the liquor store (which has shitty hours and is closed on Sundays). They sell good beer at grocery stores, but as you know, there's a limit to the alchohol content.
-
apprently there is a good chance I hypersecrete adrenaline (which explains a lot).
Hypoglycemia sucks, I want to hypersecrete adrenaline! I'm imagining it giving you a dragonball-esque boost in energy in dangerous situations. That is probably not what it does.
Nope. I wish. I wish the shit could make me fly
In piecing together other pieces of my life, it makes sense to mel
Dx'd 'Hyperactive' in grade school despite non standard presentation
Generally high level of nervous energy
General problems with self-discipline and self control growing up
High level of difficulty in tense sedentary situations (like high pressure meetings)
Unusual physical reactions to situations where I get very angry or otherwise emotionally riled
You see, the adrenaline is scecreted and the body can do NOTHING with it, so it hangs around. It seems to wind up affecting the most active system it can, which is the digestive system - leading to symptoms very similar to IBS.
I've found I do well if I maintain a moderate, consistent level of aerobic exercise, avoid caffeine, consistenly provide myself with adequate levels of fiber and water, and work hard to let things go, and make positive progress.
-
Eek, that sounds like me. Not the childhood stuff (I was an angel, seriously) but as an adult I have like five out of six of those symptoms.
Does giving up caffeine really help? I would really miss my snobbish tea habit.
-
Giving up caffeine was probably the second biggest help, but getting in a good hour of aerobic exercise (monitoring the heart rate constantly to keep it up) was probably the most important thing.
-
I was kind of hoping that it made you into the Incredible Aloha Hulk- a kinder, gentler Hulk, who wears bermuda shorts and kayaks. Maybe he has a beard.
But I know how the adrenaline thing is, although my ongoing experience with it is short-term- because I'm going off that medicine, my body is basically experiencing a low-level panic attack at all times. My adrenaline levels are boosted to the roof right now; consequently, every time I eat something, there's a two hour period that comes twenty minutes later where I get a constant stomach pain, the kind you get from a square-on hit in the balls. Is that the sort of stomach pain you had, AD?
I'm up in Inwood/Washington Heights. "The Part Of Manhattan That's So Far North It's In The Bronx." I might be beyond help.
137th and Broadway, boyee! I'm not in Inwood yet, but I feel your pain- none of my Brooklyn friends ever want to come up. But I'm thinkin'....
There's a cheap reggae bar in the West 120's- WE SHOUD PARTY.
-
Oh, more about Utah drinking--
There is a great place downtown called the Bayou (http://www.xmission.com/~bayou/home.php) with over 200 beers (about 30 or so on tap I think). Beer list and location is on the site. It's great, but not the cheapest.
-
137th and Broadway, boyee! I'm not in Inwood yet, but I feel your pain- none of my Brooklyn friends ever want to come up.
But they think you should come to Brooklyn, right? My friends in Brooklyn always seemed to think that the distance I had to travel from the Bronx to Brooklyn was somehow shorter than the distance they would have to travel from Brooklyn to the Bronx. Something about the greater comparative coolness of Brooklyn warping the space-time continuum, I figure.
-
But they think you should come to Brooklyn, right?
Of course they do, and then act suprised when I tell them I'm sleeping there. Every time I head over, it's like I'm on the god-damned Oregon Trail, and that's only if I'm going to my friends who live on Bedford, the first stop in Brooklyn on the L (and the most pretention per square acre in all of BKLYN). I have a friend who lives off of the G line, a subway line I didn't even know existed until she told me to go there.
In any case, at least I live on the same damn island as places that aren't bars that might possibly be open after 11 pm- where's your Gray's Papaya, Brooklyn? No recession special for you!
Note: I google map'd to make sure there were no Gray's Papayas in Brooklyn; in one of the listings, there was a quote:
There are only a few reasons to venture out to the Upper West Side:
Gray's Papaya, Riverside Park, and the Natural History Museum.
Fuck you, Metroblogging. Fuck you in your EYES.
-
Fuck you, Metroblogging. Fuck you in your EYES.
When did you start channeling R. Lee Ermy?
-
The Ying-a-ling is at damn well near every bar in the DC area these days. This is a good thing. It was our beer of choice at parties in college--Yuengling Lager for open parties, Yuengling Black & Tan for brothers-only events. (Yes, I was in a fraternity. If you don't like it, tough shit.)
Jough, you ever been up to Stoudt's in Adamstown? Damn fine beers, and they have highly enjoyable microbrew festivals and such. The hard part is figuring out how to get home, though.
-
a Compendium of Exquisite Delightes for Those Who Desire Drinke Beeres & Ales in Utah
Thanks for this, it will be very helpful. My family lives up in the DC (Davis County) so I may or may not make it into the city to go to, like, places where drinkin' is done publically.
-
137th and Broadway, boyee! I'm not in Inwood yet, but I feel your pain- none of my Brooklyn friends ever want to come up. But I'm thinkin'.... There's a cheap reggae bar in the West 120's- WE SHOUD PARTY.
Brooklyn. Who needs it. I ask you.
Maybe we should have some kind of NYC TOUAMB get together? I think there is at least one other person on the board from NYC, or at least there was at some point. Has this ever been attempted before?
-
a Compendium of Exquisite Delightes for Those Who Desire Drinke Beeres & Ales in Utah
Thanks for this, it will be very helpful. My family lives up in the DC (Davis County) so I may or may not make it into the city to go to, like, places where drinkin' is done publically.
OK, cool. The only people I know in DC don't drink, but I'll see if I can find anything out.
-
I was kind of hoping that it made you into the Incredible Aloha Hulk- a kinder, gentler Hulk, who wears bermuda shorts and kayaks. Maybe he has a beard.
But I know how the adrenaline thing is, although my ongoing experience with it is short-term- because I'm going off that medicine, my body is basically experiencing a low-level panic attack at all times. My adrenaline levels are boosted to the roof right now; consequently, every time I eat something, there's a two hour period that comes twenty minutes later where I get a constant stomach pain, the kind you get from a square-on hit in the balls. Is that the sort of stomach pain you had, AD?
That'd definitely one of them. There is this other weird one that feels like someone stuck an icepick in by belly button. The pain follows a nerve or something, goes due south and terminates after passing through my secret junk.
Paddling was what solved all these problems, just that constant rhythmic exercise (and helping pull a 600 lb boat with 5 200+ lb guys in it.)