The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: miles on December 06, 2005, 11:47:41 pm

Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: miles on December 06, 2005, 11:47:41 pm
Please click (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10349671/) before you read on.  It's totally work safe.

So I was a little disappointed by the photograph, and the caption disappointed me when I realized that it turns out that in Sweden, WWF is something totally different than it is in the States.

Wait, after some quick google action, it turns out that I'm the only one that still associates WWF with professional wrestling?  When did this change?  I know that WWE exists, but has it replaced WWF?  And I also realize that I will get my ass e-kicked by the wrestling fanatics on the board.

And after some wiki action, turns out it happened in 2002?  After a 2000 lawsuit by the Word Wildlife Fund?  Huh.

The main thing is, if I saw that, I wouldn't be like "hmmm, a new species."  I would just think that it was simply a species I'd never seen before.  I expected something bigger and uglier and nastier, I guess.  The headline is a bit misleading.  Should read:  "Unknown Borneo cute critter caught on camera."
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 06, 2005, 11:59:22 pm
whatever it is, I bet Chinese people eat it already.
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on December 07, 2005, 03:50:16 am
We have wrestling fans on this board? Since when?
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: miles on December 07, 2005, 03:59:05 am
Check this (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1943) out.
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 07, 2005, 04:26:13 am
Quote from: "Hobo Frenzy"
We have wrestling fans on this board? Since when?


A join date barely two weeks ago asking 'since when'?

Extra points for irony, chief.
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: CortJstr on December 07, 2005, 05:21:09 am
The wrestling people were allowed to use the WWF initials as long as they kept the "gold-bar" logo. In the 90's they switch the "scratch" logo and the other, much older, WWF sued their asses hence the change to WWE.

Between the WWF lawsuit and Marvel suing over "Hulk" the 80's were not kind to wrestling.
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: arkabee on December 07, 2005, 02:42:00 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Between the WWF lawsuit and Marvel suing over "Hulk" the 80's were not kind to wrestling.


brother, don't forget the steroids, brother.
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: Beatrice on December 07, 2005, 06:50:23 pm
At first I thought it was a tiny brontosaurus with it's butt on fire.  Thank you.

Also, that Bose ad on the page?  It looks like that woman on the right is hiding behind a large piece of toast.  Thank you for that, too.
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: Bozack on December 07, 2005, 07:01:09 pm
I would like to tie the WWF and WWE together by saying thatm if I were a wrestler, I would wear a gorilla suit and be "THE BEAST FROM BORNEO!"
Title: Unknown Borneo beast caught on camera
Post by: miles on December 07, 2005, 07:47:33 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
I would like to tie the WWF and WWE together by saying thatm if I were a wrestler, I would wear a gorilla suit and be "THE BEAST FROM BORNEO!"


Yes, perfect.  That could sell.

With the headline, and when I initially saw 'WWF', I was hoping the article would tell a story about the WWE looking for a new kind of beast to use in a publicity stunt involving the strongest men on earth wrestling the nastiest beasts.  Something like that flashed quickly through my mind.