The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: beverly on September 01, 2003, 03:10:38 am

Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: beverly on September 01, 2003, 03:10:38 am
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/Chris.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/ChrisSit.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/FLAPR.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/chriseugenePOSE.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/christony.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/onstadTHISisLIFE.jpg

I think YES.
Title: Re: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 01, 2003, 03:34:50 am
Quote from: "beverly"
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/Chris.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/ChrisSit.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/FLAPR.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/chriseugenePOSE.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/christony.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/onstadTHISisLIFE.jpg

I think YES.


If it is, then the first pic he looks like the guy in Office Space. I can never remember his name, 'cause it doesn't really matter. But that's what struck me.
Doesn't look like I'd imagine, but then I can't quite imagine what he'd look like. I never manage that.
Whenever people tell me things, like one of my ex's who was getting radiotherapy and asked me when she lost her hair if that's what I'd imagine she'd look like... I was like, I can't picture people, either as they would look like with an alteration, or if I haven't met them and try to picture them.
I'ma stop rambling and go eat.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 01, 2003, 05:42:35 am
Nice place they have in that second picture.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 01, 2003, 06:46:00 am
Yeah, there was a discussion on the old board about those pics.

It is indeed Mr. Onstad when he was in college a few years ago.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 01, 2003, 09:47:07 am
It's sort of like a DJ. You always picture them kind of cool and they are these fat funny looking guys. Not that Onstad is fat in these. He's just a seemingly regular guy. Like everybody.

The one pic looks like he's wearing a chef uniform. Does he cook? He seems to know a lot about food and drink.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 01, 2003, 06:26:55 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
It's sort of like a DJ. You always picture them kind of cool and they are these fat funny looking guys. Not that Onstad is fat in these. He's just a seemingly regular guy. Like everybody.

The one pic looks like he's wearing a chef uniform. Does he cook? He seems to know a lot about food and drink.


I am not fat! If anything I'm completely the opposite... But I don't look all cool or anything.
You can kind of see where hs wit might come from in those pictures, but at the same time, he looks too like a bunch of dumb people I once knew that it kind of makes me expect him not to be funny from the pictures!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 01, 2003, 08:11:15 pm
I'll bet he's a real dork in real life.

In any case, 'stad is funny on the internet.  And since that is the limit of how much you will ever know Mr. 'stad, that's all that really matters, isn't it?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: andalucia on September 01, 2003, 09:12:26 pm
Egad, that is quite how I pictured him.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 01, 2003, 10:43:42 pm
Well, OK, I should amend my statement. The DJs who aren't fat look kind of like Ric Ocasek...all weird-skinny and strung-out-like.

Except for you, slink. From now on I picture you as Dr Johnny Fever from WKRP in Cincinnati.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: Mite on September 01, 2003, 11:02:03 pm
Yeah, pretty much exactly how I expected him to look, too. Odd.

And who's sayin' big dorks aren't exciting people to hang out with in real life? Why, just last night I graded my students' algebra tests, and today I bought a new penis and a sweater vest. You don't know from fun!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: wombat on September 01, 2003, 11:43:36 pm
Thought he'd be blonder.  The Scandinavian name and all.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2003, 01:20:10 am
I thought he'd have two heads.

That, and be far less dorky.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 06:04:33 am
You forgot these:

http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/ChrisEugene.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/chriseugenetony/Untitled13.jpg
http://rawdataserver.com/Tony/pics/chriseugenetony/Untitled15.jpg

They're all dorks.  It's... beautiful.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 02, 2003, 02:33:38 pm
Wow, I can see where he got the idea for hat week.  And to think, he once picked on Pedro for owning a fedora during a private chat!  

I pictured him less handsome, actually.  Sort of a lumbering, gorilla-like, odiferous graphics geek who forgets to bathe regularly.  He's not bad looking, if I have to be the one to say it, although his features are a bit too...delicate...for my taste.  And he looks tall.  Either that, or he just has short friends.  (I'm totally into short guys.)  

As for Slink, I always pictured him as slim and tall, with sandy brown hair, fair skin, and blue eyes.  Although I have a tendancy to base what I think people look like on their avatars.  Not that I think Slink looks like his avatar, whatever the hell that is, or that AlohaDawg is a dancing monkey, but rather that there are categories of people in my head that correspond to categories of avatars.  Goofy avatars, geeky avatars, cutesy avatars, etc.  Beyond that, how I picture people is really sort of inexplicable.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 02, 2003, 04:40:48 pm
So Slink looks more like Andy Travis than Dr Johnny Fever? Or am I the only person who watched WKRP enough to remember them clearly?

...Word to Jan Smithers, wherever she is...
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 05:03:31 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I have a tendancy to base what I think people look like on their avatars.  Not that I think Slink looks like his avatar, whatever the hell that is, or that AlohaDawg is a dancing monkey, but rather that there are categories of people in my head that correspond to categories of avatars.  Goofy avatars, geeky avatars, cutesy avatars, etc.  Beyond that, how I picture people is really sort of inexplicable.


But JL, you don't look like a 50s housewife, even if your avatar does.

I've also been trying to decide if my avatar is:

a) Goofy
b) Geeky
c) Cutesy, or
d) Etc.

Maybe someone should start a poll...
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 06:37:21 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

As for Slink, I always pictured him as slim and tall, with sandy brown hair, fair skin, and blue eyes.


Well, OK... I'm tall (6'4"), thin (I weight about 10 and a half stone, which I think is about 140lbs, but I'm not sure of that), purple hair, fairly pale (almost anaemic), and indeed blue/grey eyes. Oh and I've got a great nose! It's the only feature I'm happy with...
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 02, 2003, 06:43:12 pm
Quote from: "jough"

But JL, you don't look like a 50s housewife, even if your avatar does.

I've also been trying to decide if my avatar is:

a) Goofy
b) Geeky
c) Cutesy, or
d) Etc.

Maybe someone should start a poll...


e) Devastatingly Handsome.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 07:06:26 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "jough"

I've also been trying to decide if my avatar is:

a) Goofy
b) Geeky
c) Cutesy, or
d) Etc.

Maybe someone should start a poll...


e) Devastatingly Handsome.


I'd reckon slightly goofy 'cause of the smile, but then I think most kids look goofy. They're not my favourite thing.
I can see how you wouldn't turn out looking all Quasimodo though.

Oh, and the suit makes it!! How old were you in said picture!?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 07:18:44 pm
I was 25 when that picture was taken.  I just look really young. ;)

This is one of my favourites, too, from a year later, when I was six and a half:

(http://jough.com/jough/joey2.jpg)

And one more, of me jamming on my little guitar when I was three:

(http://jough.com/jough/joey_guitar.jpg)

And then thirteen years later:

(http://jough.com/jough/jough_guitar.jpg)

Note the thick-framed 80s glasses in that last one.  And the "devil's lock" of hair.  Yikes!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 07:21:28 pm
Quote from: "jough"

Note the thick-framed 80s glasses in that last one.  And the "devil's lock" of hair.  Yikes!


Plus the scarily 80's gueetar! Good to see you lost the bowlcut over the years - acceptable to kids, not beyond, unless you're like, in a Beetles revival band or some shit. And well, even then that's not all that acceptable.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 02, 2003, 07:45:02 pm
6'4 and 147 pounds??

Slink, hold on while I upload you some butter-and-suet sandwiches...You gotta get some weight on before Sally Struthers starts showing up at your house.  No one wants that.

Groovy purple hair, though! I'd say I wanted to see a pic 'ceptin that would sound kind of like I like you which I do but not "like you" like you if you know what I mean and

never mind.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 02, 2003, 08:12:37 pm
SLINK I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PICTURE

AND I MEAN THAT IN A WAY THAT IS NOT GAY

BECAUSE I AM A LADY

Sheesh, do I have to do everything for you people?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 08:26:20 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
SLINK I WOULD LIKE TO SEE A PICTURE

AND I MEAN THAT IN A WAY THAT IS NOT GAY

BECAUSE I AM A LADY

Sheesh, do I have to do everything for you people?


Sheesh, OK, just for you peeps (ugh I hate photos!).
These are old though, I have no moe recent pictures. I look a whole lot better now!! And my hair doesn't come out quite as purple as it is in that picture.
(http://www.canadian-studies.net/slink/Slink1.jpg)

and in the vain of the guitar posts

(http://www.canadian-studies.net/slink/slinkgueetar.jpg)

I promise you all, for my sake, and how bad I look in those pictures, if I get round to getting new pics done I will post one at some point. Since I will have short hair from, well, I would have by now but my car died and I'm waiting to sort something out so I can go get it all torn off!!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 02, 2003, 08:37:50 pm
Whee!  Thank you Slink!  I didn't think you'd really do it!  What a sexy thing you are!  

Who's next?  AlohaDawg?  Asherdan?  Nabu?  Beuller?  Beuller?  Beuller?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 08:39:14 pm
Slink looks pretty much exactly as I pictured him, but without the cigarette holder and monacle.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: CortJstr on September 02, 2003, 08:48:51 pm
Me (http://www.cortjstr.com/images/newyear.jpg) at Fletcher's in Bawlmer for 2001: A Punk Odyssey with Mary Prankster.

And me (http://www.cortjstr.com/images/aw-day3.jpg) in front of the Leesburg, VA courthouse for International Achewood Day.

[edit: I had the links backwards.]
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 09:03:52 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Slink looks pretty much exactly as I pictured him, but without the cigarette holder and monacle.


Cigarette Holder? Monacle? That would detract from my lovely eyes and probably take out half the necessary nicotine. I'm not sure Marlboro really work in Holders, not classy enough and all.

Quote from: "jldunston"
Whee! Thank you Slink! I didn't think you'd really do it! What a sexy thing you are!


Bah, if only! But thankyou! Kind of takes some of the terror out of posting my mug in public! Hell I tend to wear surgical masks when I go out in public afterall... well, not really, but i'd consider it if it wouldn't get me more attention than I get anyway.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 09:05:38 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Me (http://www.cortjstr.com/images/newyear.jpg) at Fletcher's in Bawlmer for 2001: A Punk Odyssey with Mary Prankster.


Dude, seriously scary arms!!!! I think I'll have nightmares of contortionism tonight.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: wombat on September 02, 2003, 09:11:29 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
.  Although I have a tendancy to base what I think people look like on their avatars.  Not that I think Slink looks like his avatar, whatever the hell that is, or that AlohaDawg is a dancing monkey, but rather that there are categories of people in my head that correspond to categories of avatars.  Goofy avatars, geeky avatars, cutesy avatars, etc.  Beyond that, how I picture people is really sort of inexplicable.


I would like to assert that I look nothing like my avatar, although I may very possibly look goofy.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 02, 2003, 09:14:59 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

I would like to assert that I look nothing like my avatar, although I may very possibly look goofy.


Aaaah, too bad, you're avatar is well cute!
Although, it's probably best that you're not covered in a warming layer of all-over body hair, with a nose half the size of your face...
Yes.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 09:52:13 pm
That still leaves a number of regulars.  C'mon, people.  Don't make me hire poparazzi to hunt you down.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2003, 10:56:43 pm
Ia! Ia!

... no, really, gimme some time on this. I'll find something tolerable eventually.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 02, 2003, 11:30:35 pm
Tolerable?  If we have to wait for something "tolerable" we'll never see anything!  

Just post whatcha got.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 03, 2003, 12:17:11 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Ia! Ia!

... no, really, gimme some time on this. I'll find something tolerable eventually.


Yea, if I'd waited for a tolerable picture of me it would have been another 4 or 5 years! And then I'd look too old and wouldn't want to...
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 12:36:51 am
Out shooting Rockets!!

AWESOME! (if you are talking about the best use of legal DOT class C fireworks: Model Rockets!) I always coveted my friends Saturn V - it was, like, 4 feet tall and it had to be 10 inches around at the bottom. 3 D engines that thing took to lift off, and it lifted off SLOW, just like the real thing.

It was awesome.

OH, and since Slink (you look great dude, really) showed some long sack and posted some pics, I will do so also: no laughing. And only because that JL-D asked so nicely.

As soon as I get home from work and figure out how, that is.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: sjlimmer on September 03, 2003, 01:27:13 am
Quote from: "jough"
That still leaves a number of regulars.  C'mon, people.  Don't make me hire poparazzi to hunt you down.


Well, here goes nothing, even if I'm more irregular than a regular.  A somewhat outdated photo of myself (and a fork).

(http://students.washington.edu/sjlimmer/Image001b.jpg)

edited to show picture, rather than linking to it
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: V-Adore on September 03, 2003, 01:30:03 am
Okay, this one is only because I love you people:

I'm the one sitting on the floor at center, in the white T-shirt. (Warning: not me at my most beautiful, not a particularly good-quality picture, ginormously large and thus not directly linked. Work-safe, unless your workplace frowns on gigantic group shots of dorks.) (http://www.d.kth.se/~d95-hsv/nextcon/argonauts_2.jpg)

Never said I didn't do anything for you goons!
Title: pho
Post by: satchel on September 03, 2003, 01:43:58 am
In my apartment, leaning  back in my chair.

(http://home.swbell.net/jcberry3/webpix/satchel1.jpg)
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: andalucia on September 03, 2003, 01:48:08 am
So, um, if your avatar is a cartoon of tofu, what do you probably look like?  Just wondering's all.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 03, 2003, 02:00:59 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
So, um, if your avatar is a cartoon of tofu, what do you probably look like?  Just wondering's all.


Uhm, pasty, white and flavourless?
Well at least it's nice to know that's what the avatar is!!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: V-Adore on September 03, 2003, 02:45:24 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
So, um, if your avatar is a cartoon of tofu, what do you probably look like?  Just wondering's all.

Awesome. This is all.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 04:57:26 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Okay, this one is only because I love you people:

I'm the one sitting on the floor at center, in the white T-shirt. (Warning: not me at my most beautiful, not a particularly good-quality picture, ginormously large and thus not directly linked. Work-safe, unless your workplace frowns on gigantic group shots of dorks.) (http://www.d.kth.se/~d95-hsv/nextcon/argonauts_2.jpg)

Never said I didn't do anything for you goons!


How come those other dorks all have chairs?  Is there not a gentleman in your group?

Well, thank you for putting a face to some damn fine post writing.

You've all inspired me to try to get someone to take a photo of me.

I haven't had my picture taken in over two years.
Title: Re: pho
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 04:58:36 am
Quote from: "satchel"
In my apartment, leaning  back in my chair.

(http://www.npbl.org/npbl/graphics/satchel1.jpg)


So, you're Tom Cruise's younger brother?

It's always the people with the movie star good looks that are so "shy" about posting a photo.

You freaks.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 04:59:35 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
So, um, if your avatar is a cartoon of tofu, what do you probably look like?  Just wondering's all.


I don't even know if you're male or female, so I honestly have no conception of you as anything but soy protein.

However, I think of a Pixies song when I see your name, so if you're any better looking than Frank Black (or Black Francis as I'll always know him) then you're doing fine.
Title: Re: pho
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 05:24:49 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "satchel"
In my apartment, leaning  back in my chair.

(http://www.npbl.org/npbl/graphics/satchel1.jpg)


So, you're Tom Cruise's younger brother?

It's always the people with the movie star good looks that are so "shy" about posting a photo.

You freaks.


I think he looks more like Jeremy Irons' younger brother. Good lookin' guy though. I mean that in a brotherly sort of way.

Sometimes I get Christopher Walken. That might be what's keeping me from posting a pic.
Title: Re: pho
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 05:41:03 am
Quote
Sometimes I get Christopher Walken. That might be what's keeping me from posting a pic.


Luckily, I found one that is most un Walken-like. This one, I believe, hails from the Spring of 2001 or thereabouts.

::Another edit:
(http://fourcatsinabag.blogspot.com/J.jpg)
Let's see if this site which also takes my money pisses me off::

Look upon me and despair for I have indeed passed these genes on. Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.

Edit: Classmates.com are bastards, I pay them $$ and they bomb me with Spam and popups.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 05:52:18 am
Alas, Aloha, Classmates.com evidently doesn't allow leeching.

Too bad.

I'll host any pics anyone wants to host, though.

E-mail me.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: pubdoggy on September 03, 2003, 10:34:33 am
fellows,

your "Sights" moderator in his stupid-haired glory.
(http://www.pubdoggy.com/pubdoggy_v1/images/clean%20_si.jpg)

I mean we've all but effectively gone off topic here, and if my picture allowed me to look even 1% hardcore I'd do something about that, but as you can see - I AM NOT SCARY AT ALL

jl? dont be shy.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2003, 11:41:05 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
So, um, if your avatar is a cartoon of tofu, what do you probably look like?  Just wondering's all.


What I want is a thread where people explain their avatars.  I recognized the tofu (a triumph of five years of language study...).  And some of them are obvious. But, like, what's up with slink?  And, the fried egg?

I don't care what people look like, I'm more interested in the inner workings of their strange minds.  Isn't that why we're on a messageboard instead of out talking to real people, come to think of it.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: pubdoggy on September 03, 2003, 11:46:57 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I don't care what people look like, I'm more interested in the inner workings of their strange minds.  Isn't that why we're on a messageboard instead of out talking to real people, come to think of it.


TRUE! In which case I look like this (in my mind)(http://www.mystudios.com/art/modern/modigliani/modigliani-little-peasant.jpg)
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: andalucia on September 03, 2003, 11:53:14 am
Ok wombat....  you first... I assume the picture and name coincide, but why a wombat in the first place?  Is it because it is so fun to say?  I think it is all sorts of fun to say.

Quote from: "jough"
... I honestly have no conception of you as anything but soy protein.

Quote from: "slink"
Uhm, pasty, white and flavourless?


I am pasty-white, but since I'm usually the photo-taker amongst my friends, I don't really have a picture of myself, but I'll join this parade by saying I'm a tall, skinny girl with short blonde hair with black stripes down the front, and at any given moment I am probably weaing jeans, a thrift-store shirt, a brightly-coloured cardigan, a fedora, and filthy converse high-tops.  
I picked my avatar because I'm vegan and tofu is all that keeps me alive.  Plus it is rad.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: wombat on September 03, 2003, 03:04:28 pm
Tofu is rad, and tofu with only a Japanese label is radder.

Actually, that's not a wombat.  It's a three toed sloth that I work with (I work at a zoo).  We don't have any wombats, but I got this really good picture of the sloth.  I don't know if that's a good enough excuse to be so confusing.

Wombat, yes definitely because it is fun to say.  And because you can derive it from my last name by a series of simple phonological transformations.  And because I am small and round and stubborn.  But see, that has nothing to do with the avatar, so we are now mind-bogglingly many levels off topic.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: CortJstr on September 03, 2003, 05:07:42 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
What I want is a thread where people explain their avatars.  I recognized the tofu (a triumph of five years of language study...).  And some of them are obvious. But, like, what's up with slink?  And, the fried egg?

I don't care what people look like, I'm more interested in the inner workings of their strange minds.  Isn't that why we're on a messageboard instead of out talking to real people, come to think of it.


Slink's current avatar is a drawing of Radical Edward and Ein from Cowboy Bebop (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=61).

Mine is a worm what is about to teleport from Worms: Armageddon a PC game that came out in '99. I picked it because A) Worms games are inherently awesome and B) he's talking which worked as an AIM buddy icon.

Real people are always working and seeing movies I don't care about and just generally not accommodating themselves to my schedule. Message boards don't really have these problems.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 05:25:52 pm
Mine is the last photo of myself that I've liked.  Doesn't he look happy in that photo?

And also because li'l Jough is just so damned cute.  Look at him!

Sometimes I look at that picture and my mind can identify it as me, and other times I think for a second "Who is that little boy?"
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: V-Adore on September 03, 2003, 05:45:03 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Okay, this one is only because I love you people:

I'm the one sitting on the floor at center, in the white T-shirt. (Warning: not me at my most beautiful, not a particularly good-quality picture, ginormously large and thus not directly linked. Work-safe, unless your workplace frowns on gigantic group shots of dorks.) (http://www.d.kth.se/~d95-hsv/nextcon/argonauts_2.jpg)

Never said I didn't do anything for you goons!


How come those other dorks all have chairs?  Is there not a gentleman in your group?

No, in fact, there is not. Or they didn't have chairs either. (I got there late.)

Quote
You've all inspired me to try to get someone to take a photo of me.

I haven't had my picture taken in over two years.

Rock on, man. Rock on. Although I think I'll probably still prefer your avatar -- I appreciate the cognitive dissonance between "cute li'l kid" and "Achewood board mod."
Title: Re: pho
Post by: jay-ell on September 03, 2003, 06:09:32 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Sometimes I get Christopher Walken. That might be what's keeping me from posting a pic.


I think Chris Walken is hot.  I just watched Suicide Kings on Monday (during the Labor Day Love-in).  I thought he was better looking and more charming than the five twentysomething stud muffins put together.  

Then again, I have a thing for George, too. (http://www.1stoppostershop.com/products/McGaw/celebrities/mg_GeorgeTheTimelessArtOfS.jpg)

Damn, I've had this message open in the background for like 2 hours now.  Better post before it gets stale.  
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 03, 2003, 06:16:34 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
But, like, what's up with slink?


Well, indeed as CortJstr pointed out it's Ed (Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky 4th) and Ein, done in the style of Ralph Steadman, from the episode Mushroom Samba.
As for my name, well I got lumbered with a partially great and partially annoying name at birth, and ended up stealing the name of a dead guy. Well, it was Fink, but I thought Slink would work better.
So if you ever wondered what my new surname is, here it is... Jadranko! If anyone can spot where it comes from you win a prize!!!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 03, 2003, 06:19:24 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"

I mean we've all but effectively gone off topic here, and if my picture allowed me to look even 1% hardcore I'd do something about that, but as you can see - I AM NOT SCARY AT ALL


Hmmm, kind of slightly Tim Robbinsy circa Shawshank and Hudsucker Proxy. Not such a bad thing.
There's someone else you look vaguely like but I can't work out who it is. Stupid memory!

Quote from: "jldunston"

I think Chris Walken is hot.  I just watched Suicide Kings on Monday (during the Labor Day Love-in).


Oh, I think I watched that not long ago. They showed it on TV and it kind of sucked me into watching it!
Christopher Walken's well cool. Bad ass motherfucker in things like King of New York!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 06:28:43 pm
Quote from: "slink"
So if you ever wondered what my new surname is, here it is... Jadranko! If anyone can spot where it comes from you win a prize!!!


Obviously it's from Jadranko Prlic, the foreign minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Go Prlic!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 03, 2003, 06:38:50 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "slink"
So if you ever wondered what my new surname is, here it is... Jadranko! If anyone can spot where it comes from you win a prize!!!


Obviously it's from Jadranko Prlic, the foreign minister of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Go Prlic!


Ooooh, I hadn't been aware of jadranko Prlic, but indeed, it is a Bosnian name.
Your prize - the satisfaction of knowing you're smarter and/or faster than everyone else!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 06:43:29 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

I am pasty-white, but since I'm usually the photo-taker amongst my friends, I don't really have a picture of myself, but I'll join this parade by saying I'm a tall, skinny girl with short blonde hair with black stripes down the front, and at any given moment I am probably weaing jeans, a thrift-store shirt, a brightly-coloured cardigan, a fedora, and filthy converse high-tops.  
I picked my avatar because I'm vegan and tofu is all that keeps me alive.  Plus it is rad.


This description perfectly describes the exact kind of girl I always wanted to go out with in college except I never felt cool enough for some reason. Always with the books by authors I never heard of, always with the music by bands I never heard of. I think there was a second college under the one I attended where all the cool kids and cute skinny avant-garde girls went while I sat like an idiot in my classes.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 03, 2003, 06:44:28 pm
I chose my avatar because it looked cool to me.  

Just joshin'.  

Well, that's part of it.  I love the pop culture of the 1940s and 50s, it's part of my concentration in the study of history.  (The full spiel is: <deep breath> Twentieth Century U.S. History with an emphasis on women, minorities, and popular culture.)  But 1945 - 1960 is my favorite period.  It's so...wholesome, on the surface, yet there's this sordid underside with the Cold War and McCarthy and the Atomic Bomb -- it's like the Second Gilded Age, to borrow a phrase.  

Also, I am a secretary, and this is one of the images that came up when I searched for "secretary" in MS word's clip art gallery (they have a lot of neat vintage-looking images).  I thought she was pretty hot so I decided to use it.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 06:48:55 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Tofu is rad, and tofu with only a Japanese label is radder.

Actually, that's not a wombat.  It's a three toed sloth that I work with (I work at a zoo).


Wombat's profile has a link to a website with lots of cool zoo pictures. I wish I was a zookeeper. Instead, I help manage a daycare center for state employees. Not their children, but them. We keep them occupied by giving them simple tasks for the public. It keeps them off the streets and offers them a sense of accomplishment, for which they are compensated.

It's like Goodwill Industries for college graduates.

It's a strange, strange place.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 07:32:38 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I don't care what people look like, I'm more interested in the inner workings of their strange minds.  Isn't that why we're on a messageboard instead of out talking to real people, come to think of it.


Actually, I was just lurking 'til someone offered to cyber. It's been a month people, c'mon!

Also, for interested parties, I did get a pic of me to post at the end of the second page there where I had failed previously. It may try to embarass me again so if you wanna look, look soon.

That is all.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 03, 2003, 07:41:45 pm
I can see the Walken resemblance.

I guess I don't need to post this now?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 03, 2003, 07:48:20 pm
No Hostie, No Postie.
Thanks for the offer, though.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 03, 2003, 10:06:57 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"
jl? dont be shy.


You mean you don't know what I look like yet?  

Here's a pic of me and Pedro at the park with my nephew in May.  For a more recent photo of my nephew and his sister, go here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/AJK&JLKwebfriendly.jpg).  (Oh, come on.  They're my brother's kids.  What kind of Aunt would I be?  

(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/atthepark.jpg)

Whew -- images finally fixed!  Thanks Jough!
Title: t
Post by: satchel on September 04, 2003, 02:52:53 am
I also extrapolated the Pixies song from Andalucia’s name.

My nick has several meanings (including a sack of cannabis sativa), but the baseball player Satchel Paige was its origin.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2003, 04:06:00 am
I got a picture, but nowhere to hostess it.  Suggestionnes?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 04, 2003, 04:10:35 am
Sigh.

E-mail me, cuz.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2003, 04:31:15 am
Done and done.

Sigh?  What, are you Charlie Brown, now?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2003, 04:32:59 am
JL, you look much different in that picture than in the roller coaster picture.

Did you lose weight?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2003, 01:59:20 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Did you lose weight?


You're a doll.  

There's another pic here (http://www.ncsu.edu/fctl/Staff/Dunston/dunston.jpg) (which I posted in another thread, somewhere) that was taken at my desk at work less than a week ago.  It will probably give you the clearest idea of what I look like on a day to day basis.  The roller coaster picture, in all honesty, is just plain awful.  I was traveling steeply downhill at 180 MPH, for goodness' sake.  It was bound to be bad.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2003, 04:46:07 pm
(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/AugustWest.jpg)

I'm the Dad.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: wombat on September 04, 2003, 06:49:30 pm
I love the picture.

But what's with the FRIED EGG?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2003, 07:13:56 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I love the picture.

But what's with the FRIED EGG?


It's full of cholesterol, just like me.

Why did that post as a link rather than a picture???
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2003, 07:16:40 pm
I don't know, but I fixed it.  Somehow.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: wombat on September 04, 2003, 08:24:37 pm
I just realized that one of the things I love about that picture is that it makes me think I might not be the only person on this board old enough to remember, say, the Reagan administration.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 04, 2003, 08:33:35 pm
Oh, yes, I remember Reagan well.

And I watched Family Ties, too.

As I look upon August's fine, nuclear family squinting into the morning sun, I am reminded of my own 80s late childhood and adolescence.

All wearing skinny leather ties to school
All moussing my hair up
All getting shunned like Ducky Dale in 'Pretty in Pink'
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 04, 2003, 08:55:11 pm
All havin' mall bangs
All wearin' fluorescent colors
All gettin' slap bracelets banned from school
All wearin' jelly shoes and carryin' a Rainbow Brite lunch box

Yeah, I remember the '80s.  I was just a kid, but I remember them well.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: Limmo on September 04, 2003, 09:01:16 pm
All living in a Judas Priest Screaming for Vengeance T-shirt

All thinking that CUNT-flavored rolling papers were cool

All cutting school to see Return of the Jedi
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: Choop on September 04, 2003, 09:24:54 pm
All digging on a pair of neon-green mushroom grips for the bike
All saying tubular and radical and awesome and grungy
All wishing for a step-van to surf on like in Teen-Wolf
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: andalucia on September 05, 2003, 01:22:34 am
jldunston, snap bracelets banned?

Why, then, would one even continue to make the effort to stay alive?
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 05, 2003, 01:49:21 am
I figure JLD was born around 1979 or so; Snap Bracelets are still awfully important to the little ones. My kid loves 'em. I especially like the Rainbow Brite Lunchbox. JL you will think I'm ancient when I tell you I had a SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN lunchbox.

I forgot to add:

All slow dancin' to Journey
All dressin' like Miami Vice
All Partyin' like it's 1999 (and, then, it WAS!!)
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 05, 2003, 01:52:58 am
Remember the Reagan administration?  Hell, I can remember the Johnson administration.

No, not the Andrew Johnson administration.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: V-Adore on September 05, 2003, 02:12:32 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
jldunston, snap bracelets banned?

Why, then, would one even continue to make the effort to stay alive?

When snap bracelets are banned, clearly a totalitarian regime of true and unending horror is in place.

(Whippersnapper Moment[tm]: In my year as president of my elementary-school student council, I campaigned semi-successfully for the lifting of a Pog ban.)
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 05, 2003, 02:36:05 am
Did nobody else get slap bracelets banned?  The story was (an urban legend I'm sure) that they used to have metal in them, and this girl (always a friend of a friend at another school) slit her wrists one day when the metal came through the fabric.  

I hear the modern ones are made of plastic.  

And yes, I was born in exactly 1979.
Title: folks
Post by: satchel on September 05, 2003, 03:15:02 am
J.L. = pretty

August = paterfamilias
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 05, 2003, 03:44:01 am
They used to be made of spring steel (same stuff in those handheld clicker noisemakers). I think some of them still are; the plastic ones don't spring so well.

My older sister graduated in '79.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 05, 2003, 08:31:52 am
Oh man the 80's! *shudders*
I think the 80's in Britain was unutterably painful! I mean, all the things above, with the exception of the leg warmers, that never really caught on in hich schools here, only dancers.
While I have fondness for a few thngs from the 80's (Tron, Wargames, Ferris Bueller, John Hughes movies in general, some great music (grunge and east/west coast punk, and the first NIN album, as well as some of those 80's classics) it was generally too painful to remember! Aside from the fact I was a kid and wish I could go back to that sometimes.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: wombat on September 05, 2003, 09:48:32 am
I'm pretty sure the 70s were worse.  But, luckily for most of you, you weren't born yet.  God, I am such an old fart.  But seriously, I always think, if I am not even nostalgic for the music from when I was in high school, how bad must it be?  Also, whenever I hear an Elton John song I want to apologize to everyone.  I am so, so sorry that when I was too young to have any taste, I bought his records and helped make him successful.  Please forgive me.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: andalucia on September 06, 2003, 05:59:50 pm
Wombat, that was you?

GodDAMMIT!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 06, 2003, 06:33:19 pm
[sheepishly]
Um, I really like a lot of Elton John songs.
[/sheepishly]
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: slink on September 06, 2003, 10:49:10 pm
Quote from: "jough"
[sheepishly]
Um, I really like a lot of Elton John songs.
[/sheepishly]


*disowns Jough*
'nough said!
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AugustWest on September 06, 2003, 11:16:15 pm
Jough, I think you must now change your title from "El Guapo" to "Rocket Man".

That or "Tiny Dancer".
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jay-ell on September 07, 2003, 04:36:09 am
I found this lying around my hard drive and thought y'all would be interested in seeing it.  

(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/jldunston/blankethead.jpg)
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 07, 2003, 05:09:17 am
There's only one word to describe that picture.

Awwwwww....

~Paul
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: jough on September 07, 2003, 06:23:21 am
JL, isn't that the same expression on your face in that roller coaster photo?

Some things never change...
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 07, 2003, 08:52:33 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jough"
[sheepishly]
Um, I really like a lot of Elton John songs.
[/sheepishly]


*disowns Jough*
'nough said!


Actually I have to confess I have ONE Elton John Album, but it'w the one he did in Melbourne with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra and some of the arrangements for Orchestra are really, really cool.

Sorry.

I feel much better now.
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: side_show on September 09, 2003, 03:51:49 pm
Well, to get back on to the previous off topic issues

the only picture of me that is online and can therefore be seen by everyone is on this website

http://www.andreamenard.com/stage.htm

I'm not Andrea, but I'm the one in the pink hoodie face down in her lap kinda' in the middle of the page.  It was my first professional acting gig.  I played a mentally disabled foster child who'd been raped.  My nick name also comes from the fact that I work in theatre - mostly directing "alternative" theatre

As for my avatar - I mentioned the site on the old messageboard - it sells clothing for cats, and I thought the pic. looked like Beef (others said Ray) from this
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05142002
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 09, 2003, 10:13:26 pm
Clothing for cats! Did you happen to see "Anger Management"?

I used to think I could act, I did a bunch of community theatre and stuff. I'm always, always happy when I meet (or come in some kind of contact) with people who actually managed to make a living on theatre.

I'm slightly jealous but I figure I would be eating cheez whiz and waiting tables if I had actually tried to make a living doing what I really thought would be cool and fun. I figure I didn't want it bad enough.

Sad really
Title: Is this really Onstad?
Post by: side_show on September 10, 2003, 02:40:24 pm
Aloha - you should get back to it, even just as a hobby!

I have to take "regular" jobs -but I run amoung a group of "alternative artists" who don't really appeal to the mainstream, so most of us consider art an addiction which must be fed by horrible call centre or serving jobs.