The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on December 12, 2005, 04:38:14 pm

Title: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 12, 2005, 04:38:14 pm
As a christmas gift to the board I'm going to be upgrading us to new board software - the phpBB bugs and security holes are getting really annoying, and I use other board software for other forums and am always like "Oh man this would be cool as a madafakaaa over at TOUAMB!

So here are some choices I've seen that I think may be an improvement.  If you know of other board systems that you use elsewhere, let me know and I'll update the poll.

Here are links to the feature sets of the choices.  Most of them have live demos to play with to help you decide on which is better for YOU.  Some of these don't have converters from phpBB, so we'd essentially have to start from scratch (with this board archived or something I guess) if we went that direction.  Just something to consider.

Some of these cost money, but don't let that be a deciding factor.


Invision Power Board (http://www.invisionpower.com/ip.dynamic/products/board/features.html)

Phorum (http://phorum.org/)

vBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/)

Zorum (http://zorum.phpoutsourcing.com/)

UBB Threads (http://www.ubbcentral.com/ubbthreads/)

Simple Machines Forum (http://www.simplemachines.org/smf/index.php)

Vanilla (http://getvanilla.com/)
Title: New Board Software
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 12, 2005, 04:45:08 pm
I'm a fan of the Invision POWER BOARD (latter part must be shouted), but mostly because that's what I'm familiar and comfortable with.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 12, 2005, 05:01:33 pm
My biggest concern is compatibility with the existing board. Which ones of these have phpBB converters? Unless a non-converter-having board is outright incredible, I'm really hesitant to put all of this purely as an archive.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 12, 2005, 05:06:09 pm
I think all of the incredible ones have converters.

I mean, it's not like the data is magick or anything.  Worse comes to worst I can figure out how to transfer the threads and posts and stuff to the new board.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: side_show on December 12, 2005, 05:35:06 pm
I voted for "vanilla" because I like the name.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 12, 2005, 05:39:53 pm
I'm a content over form kinda guy.  I'm not too concerned about all the bells and whistles -- I come here for the people.

That being said, I would support anything that makes the administration of the board easier on you, Jough.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 12, 2005, 07:11:37 pm
Another board I frequent - for alumni of the student radio station I worked at in college - just flipped to Simple Machines over the weekend.  I like it pretty good so far and it would be hell of nice (for no one but me) to have the same setup at both boards.

I'm sure, Jough, that I could ask the admin for feedback on the switch if you'd like it.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2005, 07:14:22 pm
I completely defer to you Jough.  You are the best person to make this decision.

~Paul
Title: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 12, 2005, 09:13:28 pm
I kinda like Invision Power Board's features, but their license and prices are ridiculous:

https://www.invisionpower.com/customer/order.php?shop_cat=1,3,4

I'm also unsure about a converter for phpBB, but as I said, that's not that big of a deal.  Choop offered to help move the board to another system back in January - I don't know if he has time still, but I could probably figure it out.

Vanilla is nice looking but it's quite a culture shock to those who are used to phpBB.  And of course it's feature-poorer than phpBB (although really, how many "features" do we really need?).

I'm still trying to decide, and have added a "whatever, dude" option to the poll.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: arkabee on December 12, 2005, 09:37:31 pm
i hate web-based forum things and pine for the halcyon days of usenet, ever more.

that being said, i log in here not to see the motherfuck*ng :)-faces to the left of the post editor, but to read things people have to say.

1- content must be transferrable from existing board to new board.

features i'd like to see:

well, i'd really like it not to mark all unread posts as read if i log out or time out or whatnot.  there's a certain sense of urgency that seems to come with logging into these web boards, such that if you don't read all the new messages you can't easliy read them later without reading posts you've already read before.

and we wouldn't want that.

2- not marking messages as read until they've been read.

don't spend money on it unless you have a hard on to spend money, since , well, because.

3- don't spend money.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 12, 2005, 10:32:21 pm
My snap judgments:

Invision looks really feature-heavy, but I question how many of these features we really need. There seem to be a lot of permission/moderation/tight-control functions that seem a little unnecessary on a board of this (relatively) small size and good-natured membership base. That it costs money also hurts.

Phorum looks functional but just a little sparse. It reminds me of more primitive web boards and i-got-problems.com; this is not a bad thing, just a pretty big change from the current system, and not one I'm sure I all the way like.

vBulletin looks pretty robust, but it also doesn't quite sit right with me. There seem to be a lot of bells and whistles we just don't need on these things; the "related threads" bit in particular struck me as weird. Once again, it looks good for really big impersonal boards, but not for here.

Zorum is getting closer, but still feels a little... rinky-dink and impersonal, I guess. It kind of rubbed me wrong.

UBBthreads, Simple Machines, and Vanilla strike me as the most viable options. Vanilla is extremely vanilla, and is very old-school and texty; I would miss the avatars, but otherwise it seems very robust. UBB has a slightly weird feel, and SM is a little gingerbready, but both have lots of potential.

My important criteria:

1) Converter availability. I don't want to lose the stuff already here.

2) Easy/cheap-or-free for Jough. Nothing hugely expensive, nothing too difficult.

3) The basic PHPbb capabilities remain intact. This means... like, quoting, reliable read/not-read notes, stuff like that. Avatars are also good, although smilies I can truthfully live without.

I think this raises a question, though: do we want this new board to feel like the old one? I do, but I have no idea if I'm in the majority or not. Thoughts?
Title: New Board Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 12, 2005, 11:04:37 pm
A usuable read/unread system is my main concern. The lack of this is one of the reasons that Achewood-ere Dumbrella bugged me.

Which reminds me, did you push the "last visit" threshold back to 2-hours on purpose for bandwidth reasons or was a side-effect of some other change?
Title: New Board Software
Post by: Lister on December 12, 2005, 11:49:13 pm
I almost never notice what software a message board uses, but I'd like to throw in a big "no" vote for vBulletin due to its tendency to mark all the posts as read if I don't click on anything for fifteen minutes.  This is not Lister-approved behavior.  Of course, if that's just an option that can be turned off, I don't really care.  As long as it's off.

After a quick rundown of my bookmarks, it seems the only boards I don't mind using (and therefore don't notice) use phpBB.  I guess I'd say I have these criteria (bonus points if you can spot my pet peeve):

1. Don't mark stuff as read unless I read it or marked it read (by thread or by forum, anything other than "all forums").

2. Avatars.  Love 'em.

3. Decently usable formatting.  This is fine, basic HTML is fine, just some way to italicize the double exclamation points that, by law, come after "HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN!!"

4 (tie). Nested quotes, preview feature.

5. Don't mark stuff as read unless I read it.  If I stay on the compose post page for 20 minutes, it doesn't mean I magically read all the other posts.  Jesus, people.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 13, 2005, 07:15:42 am
Yeah, if I were to design a board from scratch (and that ain't gonna happen anytime soon, people) I'd make the read status a database item so that things would remain indefinitely unread until you actually loaded the page to read it.

Of course, there's no way to tell if you actually read it.  But it should work like, say, every email client on the planet.

I'll take a look and see if anything matches this increasing list of criteria.  I can't guarantee everything that's important to everyone will be addressed, but some of these seem to be more group-concensus criteria so I'll try to abide.

I like avatars too.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: wombat on December 13, 2005, 02:41:27 pm
OK, apparently I am too terrified of change to even click on those links.

I want the messageboard to look directly into my brain to see whether I read each post or not, and if I did, did I think it was really funny but I've already forgotten it so I should read it again, in which case it is also marked as unread.

OK, seriously all I know is that I want avatars and that 'posts since last visit' thing.  The only other messageboard I read regularly has such primitive software that I am not qualified to comment on anything else.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: rumpy doppelganger on December 14, 2005, 03:33:56 am
achewood.proboards153.com

yes sir
Title: New Board Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 14, 2005, 05:22:34 pm
I agree with everyone who mentioned the 'read' feature being frustrating on the current board. If I close my browser or simpy wait long enough, all posts are marked read. I'm sure I missed plenty of posts this way. That's something I won't miss. Also, if emoticons are unavailable I won't miss those either.

I would miss board ranks, avatars, private messaging, and profiles that include web links.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 14, 2005, 05:48:29 pm
I don't think the current board's "read" feature is too bad. In my experience you have to leave the page open for like an hour before it marks everything as read which seems reasonable as far as these things go.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: pmcd9 on December 14, 2005, 05:53:19 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I don't think the current board's "read" feature is too bad. In my experience you have to leave the page open for like an hour before it marks everything as read which seems reasonable as far as these things go.

The problem I have with the read feature is when you pop on for five minutes and discover a shit ton of messages that you don't have time to read at that moment.

~Paul
Title: New Board Software
Post by: miles on December 14, 2005, 06:12:16 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I don't think the current board's "read" feature is too bad. In my experience you have to leave the page open for like an hour before it marks everything as read which seems reasonable as far as these things go.

The problem I have with the read feature is when you pop on for five minutes and discover a shit ton of messages that you don't have time to read at that moment.


This is also my, and my only, compaint about the forum as it is.  It'd be nice to save messages for later.  But I know nothing about this shit.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 16, 2005, 02:20:56 am
One thing I like about Invision POWER BOARD is that it has a link in all the quote-boxes where you can go back to the post being quoted. That's good times.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 16, 2005, 06:52:22 am
I think I've settled on the Simple Machines Forum.  The layout and features are much like the current board, and they also claim a feature that:

Tracking of new and old unread topics, not just from your last visit.

This alone makes SMF the most likely option, but there seem to be a metric assload of other cool features:

http://www.simplemachines.org/smf/features.php

I've downloaded it and will be trying it out a little on a test forum this weekend.  

Hopefully the upgrade will be smooth.  I may close this board down a little at some point to switch over and run the converter.

At the same time, I'll also be moving the URL of this forum.  Stay tuned.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2005, 02:19:34 pm
Cool. I was considering opening a very small forum on my site and I can install either an out of date version of phpBB or Simple Machines. This helped me make my decision as well.

So nobody feels left out, my forum is only for people I know IRL. We had lost touch for like 8 years and need a way to stop that in the future.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 16, 2005, 05:24:44 pm
Quote from: "Simple Machines"

Forum Settings:
Ability to display page creation time and query count per page.
Put a board into maintenance mode, allowing only admins to login.
Word censoring, either full word or partial.
Ability to break up long words


Why would you need to break up long words?
Title: New Board Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2005, 06:27:54 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Simple Machines"

Forum Settings:
Ability to display page creation time and query count per page.
Put a board into maintenance mode, allowing only admins to login.
Word censoring, either full word or partial.
Ability to break up long words

Why would you need to break up long words?

Because software considers links such as "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/909656/ref=stuffandsubnav_td1_/002-1532930-1389643" to be one word. But they can be so long that it makes the board scroll horizontally which is annoying.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2005, 06:51:43 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
The problem I have with the read feature is when you pop on for five minutes and discover a shit ton of messages that you don't have time to read at that moment.


This isn't a software problem it's a human problem. What is it with you guys that no one will post for hours when I'm bored, and when I can't get to a computer all day, everyone has gone hog wild?

But yeah, if we could solve it with software that would be nice.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 16, 2005, 07:22:05 pm
Awesome. Simple Machines is a good board setup; I'll be looking forward to the test board.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: arkabee on December 16, 2005, 09:47:11 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Simple Machines"

Forum Settings:
Ability to display page creation time and query count per page.
Put a board into maintenance mode, allowing only admins to login.
Word censoring, either full word or partial.
Ability to break up long words


Why would you need to break up long words?


because sometimes, generally but not always when they are young,
words will try to stay together even if it's not in their individual nor
mutual best interests to do so.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 16, 2005, 10:52:16 pm
Does that make the link not work?

Also, don't most boards allow you to insert a hyperlink as (much shorter)text?
Title: New Board Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2005, 11:16:40 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Does that make the link not work?

Also, don't most boards allow you to insert a hyperlink as (much shorter)text?

In my experience if a link is split by the board then it's still clickable. And yes they allow that, and there's always tiA-CAPrl for all your long-ass link needs but people post long-ass links all the time anyway.
Title: New Board Software
Post by: AugustWest on December 17, 2005, 02:22:44 am
Are we sure that it isn't because most message board denizens have less than a polysyllabic lexicon?
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: Null on December 18, 2005, 03:48:03 pm
If this is the new board software, which I am now typing in, it looks pretty cool.   It's like the Jetsons or something, it's so FUTURE looking.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 18, 2005, 04:09:19 pm
My new/old avatar is so big one has to use a scroll bar to view it? That's strange times.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: Shii on December 18, 2005, 04:50:12 pm
I tried to log in and it said "Goodbye, Tool." :-[

Then I tried pressing the button manually and it worked.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: side_show on December 19, 2005, 02:41:32 pm
Yay!  Spellcheck, spellcheck, spellcheck!  Spellcheck, spellcheck, spellcheck!  Yay!

Also, "You have wasted 58 minutes of your life."  Hey, that's not that bad for being in my late 20's!  Oh wait, it's only going to go up from here.  You can never make up for dead time, people.  You can never. make-up. for deadtime, people.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: pmcd9 on December 19, 2005, 06:33:35 pm
Yay!  Spellcheck, spellcheck, spellcheck!  Spellcheck, spellcheck, spellcheck!  Yay!

Also, "You have wasted 58 minutes of your life."  Hey, that's not that bad for being in my late 20's!  Oh wait, it's only going to go up from here.  You can never make up for dead time, people.  You can never. make-up. for deadtime, people.
Did you have to say it twice?  I wasted twice as much time reading that.

~Paul
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: ndpatel on December 19, 2005, 08:25:53 pm
i'm happy things went well, but i have to say that i preferred the warm colors of the previous setup.

that, and for some reason, the quote boxes make me noticeably uncomfortable. i think it's the lack of space between the borders and the text contained therein. or something.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: yu-huang on December 19, 2005, 11:08:05 pm
The new board is real sweet. One can go *rude* on all those shiny buttons. Kick-ass, Jough.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: robot_roll_call on December 20, 2005, 12:10:50 am
I like it the more that I use it. Especially the newsbox and the cans of Dr. Pepper.

Also I love the side effect of people getting new avatars.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: side_show on December 20, 2005, 12:26:39 am
Did you have to say it twice?  I wasted twice as much time reading that.

~Paul

Of all the peeps on this board, at least from photographic proof, you have the least dead time of us all.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: side_show on December 21, 2005, 05:15:25 am
Also, jough, I'm sure you know this, but everytime I spell check and window for the spell checker opens, but also a spare blank window opens up.  Maybe this will be filled with money making adds at some point?
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 21, 2005, 06:11:36 am
Hmm... the spell check only pops up a single window in Firefox - maybe IE is stupid on this board?

Also, I have no idea how the spell check works.  It probably uses the PHP pspell extension, but it would be nice to be able to add commonly used TOUAMB words to it (like TOUAMB, ferinstance).

I'll have to look into this more too.  I should start making a list.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: evan on December 21, 2005, 08:32:02 am
ugh
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 21, 2005, 08:43:41 am
Yeah, that's how we roll*

*Haircuts for everybody!
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: evan on December 21, 2005, 09:38:17 am
woooo
woooo
woooo
woooo
woooo
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 21, 2005, 04:57:23 pm
Don't think I won't disable all of your accounts.  I can do it!  Just you fuckin' watch me.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: evan on December 21, 2005, 07:51:52 pm
try it and I'll hit you with my truck
                  __===*@@@ @@@@@ @@@@@
                 /       _______________________________________ _ ___ __ _ _
          ______|^|_    | ***                                    |___ ___ __
         /|/~~~~~~~|    |  ***                                   |____ __ _ __
        / |    {_) |    |   ***                                  |__ ___ _ __
   ____/__|)  /~~| |@@@@|    ************************************|____ ___ _
  / _____ ~~~~~~~~~|@@@@|     ***********************************|___ __ _ __
 | /     \\      --|    |_/~~~~~\_______________________/~~~~~\__|_____ __ _ _
 |/  ***  \\       |---~|/  ***  \_____________________/  ***  \_|___ _ __ _ _
 `  *****  ~~~~=====       *****                         *****
     ***                    ***                           ***
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: Choop on December 21, 2005, 08:12:16 pm
I do believe that's the only valuable contribution to the internet ever made by the marquee tag. A tiny can of Dr Pepper to you, sir.

Now, jough, since we've obviously seen "the only valuable contribution to the internet ever made by the marquee tag," and we're never going to see another, can we get that friggin' thing disabled? Pretty please?
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: misterqueue on December 21, 2005, 08:28:55 pm
Dogg that is an awesome truck.  I stared at it for like.. 15 minutes before I realized my boss would basically start yelling at me.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 21, 2005, 08:35:07 pm
I am split. On one hand, I am of the impression that the marquee tag is basically Internet Cancer, much like the blink tag was in days of yore, and thus needs to be killed as soon as possible.

On the other hand... I can't stop laughing.

Can we possibly maintain the truck post as the only evidence that marquee ever existed, a cautionary tale to our descendents, and then kill the fucker?
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 21, 2005, 09:46:51 pm
I think I will leave the tag alone since there's no way to get rid of it entirely without editing the code of the board itself, and I don't want to have to keep changing the code every time a new version or patch is released.

But I think I will make it a rule that any post that uses it will just be deleted, with multi-offenders being banned, etc.

It'll be like that apple.  You know, the one people weren't supposed to eat?
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: V-Adore on December 21, 2005, 09:57:01 pm
I think I will leave the tag alone since there's no way to get rid of it entirely without editing the code of the board itself, and I don't want to have to keep changing the code every time a new version or patch is released.

But I think I will make it a rule that any post that uses it will just be deleted, with multi-offenders being banned, etc.

It'll be like that apple.  You know, the one people weren't supposed to eat?


Wait, the marquee tag gives you knowledge of good and evil?

Anyway, that sounds reasonable, although it might be good to do a "mod-edit to kill the marquee tag if the post otherwise has meaningful content, delete if it's just a marque wankjob" policy.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: CortJstr on December 21, 2005, 09:59:39 pm
On Firefox at home I'd disabled the marquee tag via a little-known and hard to find option. I'll have to come to this thread and test it out.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: ndpatel on December 21, 2005, 10:20:24 pm
try it and I'll hit you with my truck
                  __===*@@@ @@@@@ @@@@@
                 /       _______________________________________ _ ___ __ _ _
          ______|^|_    | ***                                    |___ ___ __
         /|/~~~~~~~|    |  ***                                   |____ __ _ __
        / |    {_) |    |   ***                                  |__ ___ _ __
   ____/__|)  /~~| |@@@@|    ************************************|____ ___ _
  / _____ ~~~~~~~~~|@@@@|     ***********************************|___ __ _ __
 | /     \\      --|    |_/~~~~~\_______________________/~~~~~\__|_____ __ _ _
 |/  ***  \\       |---~|/  ***  \_____________________/  ***  \_|___ _ __ _ _
 `  *****  ~~~~=====       *****                         *****
     ***                    ***                           ***

just curious. also, jough, you are rad as FUCK for changing the quote boxes.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: Golfhaus on December 21, 2005, 10:25:55 pm
I don't mind the marquee tag being there and usuable. I'm not even opposed to it being used on occasion, such as when someone makes a kickass truck to mow us all down in, H0++ A5C!! stylezz. I think we are all adult enough to use it only for good, not for evil, and to know that an inherently evil thing like it can only be used for good when it's really, really good.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 21, 2005, 10:44:41 pm
Yeah, yesterday I spent an hour changing some cosmetic stuff - made the background lighter, made the quote boxes not burn my eyes or feel claustrophobic, changed the font of the messages back to verdana (although I left the board controls and other messages as Tahoma for now).

It's all coming together now.  I'm happy I made the switch.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 22, 2005, 04:07:12 am
Why do you hate haircuts?

I like the marquee because it is hilariously tacky. It's like having a dancing baby gif option. It also can be awesome, as Evan has demonstrated.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: Choop on December 22, 2005, 05:33:31 am
Question: need you specify a font face at all? I've got a great font set as my default (Lucida Grande, i can send to anyone if you like) that I so rarely get to see anymore because everybody specifies Verdana, Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, or something from the forbidden list, like Times, Courier, or Arial.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 22, 2005, 06:42:31 am
You don't have to specify a font, but then everything would be in Times New Roman for most people, which is something I would never put my enemies through, let alone my friends.

Yes, I suppose people could write a custom stylesheet for Firefox to make the font anything they want.  But who will?

You want to see your default font and layout?  Turn off stylesheets in Firefox.  Mission accomplished.  High fives all around.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: Choop on December 22, 2005, 07:30:53 am
oh, ouch, dude. ouch.


MINUS ONE CAN
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: misterqueue on December 22, 2005, 02:16:20 pm
I simultaneously hate and love the tiny cans of Dr. Pepper.  I love giving them out and I giggled like a schoolgirl when I got my first one, but then I look and not 3 hours later it's gone.

My mind raced; what could I have said so vile as to have someone steal my only can of Dr. Pepper?  I like Dr. Pepper dammit!  Was Bobby Isoceles back and chiding me for being a crap dude?  Who would do this?  WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS?!

Then I realized I was getting all perpendicular over a silly rating system on a board full of imaginary people and I got over it a little.  People, do not take away a man's only tiny can of Dr. Pepper* that is something a dick does.

*Unless they really deserved it.. like I guess if they said "Fuck your mother up the ass with a piece of corrugated pipe that was once used as part of Liberace's plumbing system", then it would probably be basically okay.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: jough on December 22, 2005, 06:00:02 pm
Some people just either don't get the cans or are such crap dudes that they'd take one away for no reason, or for some arbitrary superficial reason.

Admittedly, there are some people to whom I bestow a can on every chance I get, for any post that makes me smile.  Otherwise, I think it wrong to taketh away a can unless someone is being a dick.

Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: misterqueue on December 23, 2005, 01:50:48 am
Exactly man.. I am completely down with Grand Moff Admin of the board on this one.  My little cans of Dr. Pepper have been weird all day.  1, then 0, then 3, then 2... I mean.. I don't comment enough for this shit y'know?

Chill people.. just chill.. it's all about the DP love.*


*That is Dr. Pepper love, not Double Penetration love.. unless you ask nicely I guess.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: acoxcae on December 23, 2005, 02:50:06 am
*That is Dr. Pepper love, not Double Penetration love.. unless you ask nicely I guess.

I think it says a lot about our board-society that "DP" had to be clarified.

And even more that apparently the other option is on offer to nice people.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: misterqueue on December 23, 2005, 11:25:49 am
Well.. this IS the Internets after all.

(And I'm going to stop looking at the little cans of Dr. Pepper.. crap dudes are stealing mine, repeatedly)
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: side_show on December 23, 2005, 04:37:31 pm
Jough - the mysterious blank window that popped up with spell checking is now gone.  A big thank you to you. (edit: after posting this I spell checke and the damn blank window is back... WTF? It doesn't really bother me, but after a few posts on this board I have so many little windows opened up that it looks like I've been reading DP porn, and I ain't talking 'bout no doctor.)

Also, I only noticed today that beside every message is the option to "report to modorator."  That is awesome, it is like "telling" on someone.  I love it.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: Ben-San on December 27, 2005, 10:12:39 pm
When I click on a subforum or thread, often I will get the little "a page is loading" animated bar thing for a short time, and then it will stop loading anything and still be at the same page I was on when I clicked. I do not know that this is the result of the new software but it never happened before. I clicked on the name of this thread seven times with the "loading.. no, I'm done now" result before I was allowed into this thread. For what it's worth this is using Camino on a Mac.

(P.S., it also happened a few times while trying to post this reply.)
(P.P.S., the board really does not want me to post this. Is the Man keeping me down?)
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: wombat on December 27, 2005, 11:38:32 pm
I've been having similar problems today too.  I thought I was just confused.
Title: Re: New Board Software
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 28, 2005, 12:27:05 am
I've been having similar problems today too.  I thought I was just confused.

Well, DUH. But also, the innernet might acting up, too.