The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: misterqueue on December 13, 2005, 04:15:34 pm
-
And why didn't I notice until just now?
-
I changed it over about a week ago, but if you had the old logo cached it will have taken differing lengths of time for each user's setup.
If you're not seeing a christmassy logo now, hold the Ctrl key and press reload/refresh.
-
http://www.fuckchristmas.org
-
http://www.fuckchristmas.org
anyone noticing any effects of the war in their parts?
rather than any bombs or shots fired,
i've been seeing a lot of lights and decorations in people's
yards and homes.
with sporadic "mery christmas" spoken here and there.
-
http://www.fuckchristmas.org
This site made me want to erect a miniature Stonehenge in my common room.
And then dance around it.
-
http://www.fuckchristmas.org
This site made me want to erect a miniature Stonehenge in my common room.
And then dance around it.
Pix plz. kthnx.
My department party is today. We get a bartender which is good. But we have to watch the senior directors play Jeopardy which is bad. They also vetoed every single one of my questions as "too hard" which is lame.
Sample questions:
This Silver Spring native entered pop cultre by saying "Bueller...Bueller...Bueller"
This is the state sport of Maryland.
This upcoming holiday begins on the 25th day of the month of Kislev.
-
Ben Stein, jousting. If I can answer them, they are seriously lame. And could anyone not guess the third? Well, still, they are senior management... it might be amusing for you to report back.
-
You forgot Hanukkah, Wombat.
I got all three right. Thanks to NPR, even #2. Although It's hard to imagine people actually jousting.
-
It's not jousting, it's lacrosse.
My cheap-ass company is having a post-holiday party, in mid-January. Cash bar even!
-
It's not jousting, it's lacrosse.
My cheap-ass company is having a post-holiday party, in mid-January. Cash bar even!
The official state sport of Maryland is jousting. The team sport of Maryland is lacrosse. Given the wording of the question I would accept either.
And they only do the part of the jousting where one tries to snag rings hanging on ropes with one's lance. Not the charging at the Black Knight part.
This is just my department party. My office party was Saturday. The funny part is that my department comprises 50% of the office and roughly 25% of the entire company. So our department party is basically the same scope as the "real" party.
edit: spelling
-
in my idle day dreams of becoming King Of New Hampshire,
after immediately changing the motto from:
Live Free or Die, to
Live Free or Die, eh?
i will make jousting the official sport,
sanctioned by the state and required by all civil lawsuit partici#####.
because judges would command more authority IN ARMOR.
-
in my idle day dreams of becoming King Of New Hampshire,
after immediately changing the motto from:
Live Free or Die, to
Live Free or Die, eh?
i will make jousting the official sport,
sanctioned by the state and required by all civil lawsuit partici#####.
because judges would command more authority IN ARMOR.
Ark, when did you switch to the all-beat-poetry format, anyway? Not that it isn't awesome and all, but I'm just curious.
-
Seems like a lot of his posts going back are sort of in a funky kind of free verse.
It's how I think of him, anyhow.
-
You forgot Hanukkah, Wombat.
Why aren't both answers right?
Never mind, let's rant about state symbols and how stupid they have become. Did you know the state dance of Maryland is western style square dancing? It's all political, it's just that square dancers take the time to lobby for it. It's so stupid.
-
Never mind, let's rant about state symbols and how stupid they have become. Did you know the state dance of Maryland is western style square dancing? It's all political, it's just that square dancers take the time to lobby for it. It's so stupid.
Here's one. Utah has an official state cooking vessel (http://pioneer.utah.gov/utah_on_the_web/utah_symbols/pot.html), the Dutch Oven. How is that not a waste of time?
And Square dancing is "offical" in UT, CT, WA, MO, AL, ID, MI, NE, NJ, ND, OR, TX....you get the idea. Damn the Square dance lobby!
-
Wait a minute.. MO? Jeezus...
Is there any way we can transport STL over the state line so I could NOT be in a state where I'm on that list. At least then I'd get to hang out with Chicago.. I heard she's pretty cool (and she puts out!)
-
As the only official Jeopardy champion on the board, I have to admit that I did not know the state sport of Maryland was jousting. Does everybody in Md. have "RENFAIRE" on their license plate?
-
I'm a Christmas loving Athiest. Merriness and Hugs to all!
Seriously though, no matter what your spiritual base, it's emotionally healthy (and just plain fun) to set some time aside to celebrate the good things and spend time with family (be it a 'blood family' or a 'chosen family' like mine). I did have a Jewish coworker look at me a little funny a couple months ago when I wished her a Happy New Year for Rosh Hashanah, then she got all excited, and was all "You're Jewish! I didn't know that!" I had to explain to her that I'm not Jewish, but that marking passages and building community by gathering together are very important to me too, and then we talked a bit about what she would be doing to celebrate. I don't tend to tell most people that I'm an Athiest, because a lot of times people then assume that I'm judging them and their spiritual path, when indeed I'm not. Actually apart from my SO and some former coworkers at a heavy-drinking office retreat thing, you're the only folks who know this about me. Basically I realize that unless you're a total moron, that once you've reached adulthood that you've put some thought into your life path, and the big questions. I'm always for people getting together to celebrate. And fuck*ng. Vote for the Party party.
-
Ark, when did you switch to the all-beat-poetry format, anyway? Not that it isn't awesome and all, but I'm just curious.
uh, 1996 i think.
college was, um, interesting.
my memory's, uh, not what it used to be.
-
Yeah christmas does indeed rock, I have major love for my catholic christmas masses.
The fuck christmas thing, we get shit like this from somewhere every year an my grandmother always goes on about it. A couple of assholes complaining != plot by teh EVAL FOREIGNERS!
I want to go back and live permanently in the mid nineties when no one gave a shit about religion or politics (or at least I didn't which is good enough for me).
-
You forgot Hanukkah, Wombat.
Why aren't both answers right?
They are, but there are THREE questions.
-
Creeeeepy Christmas moment at work.
A woman told me that Christians were "under-represented" on the Upper West Side because we were all sold out of advent calenders; I sort of Phil Ken Sebben laughed because I didn't get the joke, but it HAD to be a joke, right? Nobody's just going to out and say "THE UPPER WEST SIDE IS FILLED WITH HEATHENS AND I DON'T LIKE IT!", are they? Then I tell her, okay, let me check our other stores- which of the following calenders do you want: Waiting for Santa, The Whistle Stop Christmas or Kittens in Mittens (the ones that we had had in stock)? She gasps, LITERALLY gasps, and say, "Well, we wanted a religious advent calender. I guess we'll take our business elsewhere."
Ergh. I understand that she would be displeased that we don't have religious advent calenders, but she just made it really creepy with the first statement.
"Sorry, we don't carry Advent calenders; We're proud members of the International Jewish Conspiracy. Would you like a pamphlet?"
-
You forgot Hanukkah, Wombat.
Why aren't both answers right?
They are, but there are THREE questions.
Oh, I meant both answers to the third question. If I did forget Hanukkah (and I'm not sayin'), Christmas is also correct.
-
Creeeeepy Christmas moment at work.
A woman told me that Christians were "under-represented" on the Upper West Side because we were all sold out of advent calenders; I sort of Phil Ken Sebben laughed because I didn't get the joke, but it HAD to be a joke, right? Nobody's just going to out and say "THE UPPER WEST SIDE IS FILLED WITH HEATHENS AND I DON'T LIKE IT!", are they? Then I tell her, okay, let me check our other stores- which of the following calenders do you want: Waiting for Santa, The Whistle Stop Christmas or Kittens in Mittens (the ones that we had had in stock)? She gasps, LITERALLY gasps, and say, "Well, we wanted a religious advent calender. I guess we'll take our business elsewhere."
Ergh. I understand that she would be displeased that we don't have religious advent calenders, but she just made it really creepy with the first statement.
"Sorry, we don't carry Advent calenders; We're proud members of the International Jewish Conspiracy. Would you like a pamphlet?"
Even I laugh at people like that. It's nothing to do with her being any kind of Christian (and especially a poor 'underrepresented' one) and everything to do with having a need to find that factor in EVERYTHING that indicates she is a victim.
-
Hang on a minute, if you were sold out of all the Advent calendars, doesn't that mean there are tons of those Christians around who already bought them up? I don't get the complaint even on the complainer's own terms.
-
Yeah, I'm a little confused too. Wouldn't "sold out" imply that they had already been sold to happy believers, as opposed to never being in stock because of the Jewish Conspiracy?
That said, I now want a Kittens in Mittens advent calendar. It sounds delightful.
-
What if they <never> actually stocked them? That's just the kind of thing these bastard secular liberal bookstores would do, you know. Keep them on the stock list but don't take precious space away from Santa and Al Franken to show the REAL Christmas.
Fuckers.
If this lady was THAT big a Christian looking for the Christ Child in cardstock with little bitty doors, she might have thought of looking in a Christian Bookstore. I'm just saying is all.
-
I bet that lady's name was Pat.
-
As the only official Jeopardy champion on the board, I have to admit that I did not know the state sport of Maryland was jousting. Does everybody in Md. have "RENFAIRE" on their license plate?
Well MD does have the 2nd largest* Ren Fest in the country. So almost.
Post-game update: They finally conceeded on my Kislev question as othewise our "holiday" category only had Christmas questions. Nobody got it right. Or my two questions in the slogans category: Hungry? Why Wait? and If You Don't Get It, You Don't Get It.
Only one out of four got my Final Jeopardy Question right. The category was 19th Century British Serialized Fiction.
Place your wagers.
.
.
.
The question: how many ghosts visited Scrooge in A Christmas Carol?
They said 3. Which admittedly was my intent.
*in acres, not attendance.
-
mann.
if I hear one person rant about "political correct"-ness, I will begin believing in gun ownership. Seriously. People say they're "anti-pc", but what they mean is "I am going to say whatever rude things I want, and you can't be upset by them." I'm sick of it.
My favorite comment has been this. A girl called in to the radio station, and said the following: "what really gets me bent out of shape is this. I tell someone "happy holidays", and they get mad at me. I'm telling them that I hope they have a good holiday season, and they're offended. "
But
-
Hang on a minute, if you were sold out of all the Advent calendars, doesn't that mean there are tons of those Christians around who already bought them up? I don't get the complaint even on the complainer's own terms.
she's using logic BURN HER BURN THE WITCH BURNBURBURBBURN!!!!
-
Hang on a minute, if you were sold out of all the Advent calendars, doesn't that mean there are tons of those Christians around who already bought them up? I don't get the complaint even on the complainer's own terms.
There was nothing logical about what went on that day. And, as AlohaDawg said, it's just victimhood; I would posit that she would be a BETTER Christian had she gone to a Christian book store, because she could then find other things to edify her soul with, instead of coming to my store and being a shitty, complainy Christian.
You all are very lucky to be reading this- you can all watch as someone loses their soul by working December retail for the first time.
-
mann.
if I hear one person rant about "political correct"-ness, I will begin believing in gun ownership. Seriously. People say they're "anti-pc", but what they mean is "I am going to say whatever rude things I want, and you can't be upset by them." I'm sick of it.
My favorite comment has been this. A girl called in to the radio station, and said the following: "what really gets me bent out of shape is this. I tell someone "happy holidays", and they get mad at me. I'm telling them that I hope they have a good holiday season, and they're offended. "
But
But what?
-
oh jeez.
but nothing.
but nothing.
I wish I remembered what I was going to say, but, no.
I overuse conjunctions. It is horrendous-- I am trying to break myself of this habit.
-
Ben Stein, jousting.
This describes a scene I would enjoy watching.
-
The question: how many ghosts visited Scrooge in A Christmas Carol?
It's 4, y'aint? Past Present Future, plus Jacob Marley who said "You're going to be visited by three ghosts, mon."
-
The question: how many ghosts visited Scrooge in A Christmas Carol?
It's 4, y'aint? Past Present Future, plus Jacob Marley who said "You're going to be visited by three ghosts, mon."
Correct. But given a time limit most people will blurt out 3 before they think about it. Kind of like the trick where you make somebody say "silk" 5 times then ask them what cows drink.
-
But baby cows *do* drink milk.
-
But baby cows *do* drink milk.
Uh I think the trick is after saying silk five times fast, when asked that question you are likely to say silk instead of milk. Is this correct CJ?
~Paul
-
But baby cows *do* drink milk.
Uh I think the trick is after saying silk five times fast, when asked that question you are likely to say silk instead of milk. Is this correct CJ?
They're supposed to say milk. Then you say, "no, cows drink water." Although a calf does indeed enjoy itself some milk.
The other one is to have them spell pop three times then ask, "what do you do at a green light?" This one has always worked in my experience and doesn't have the inconvenient calf cop-out.
-
Like the say toast five times, now what do you put in a toaster? question.
I kept wanting to say 5 to the christmas carol question but then i remembered thats the muppet version.
-
Like the say toast five times, now what do you put in a toaster? question.
I learned this one as "How do you spell 'boast?' How do you spell 'coast?' What do you put in a toaster?"
-
I'm just going to assume my primary school fellows weren't cunning enough for such a ruse to be necessary.