The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 14, 2005, 05:49:46 pm

Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: pmcd9 on December 14, 2005, 05:49:46 pm
Do we have any Achewoodians in Miami?  'Cos i'm coming your way.  It's not completely a done deal yet, but it looks l'll be moving to Florida after the first of the year.

I'm both terrified and excited at the same time.  Terrified because i've never lived away from my family before.  I'll be totally on my own for the first time in my life.  It's new people, new position, new city, new responsibilities, all at the same time.  But I'm also excited because it's a better position with considerably more money.  It's a better job with more responsibility and i'll be in a position to learn new things.  Best of all i'll never have to see this sorry fucker (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0542-E2-400.jpg) ever again.

~Paul
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: miles on December 14, 2005, 06:10:37 pm
Holy shit!  That picture frightens me!
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 14, 2005, 06:20:12 pm
That dude has a disturbing level of Mulletude.

However, I think you will find a lot of dudes who look like that in Florida. At least, I assume so from watching 'Cops'.

Congrats, though! Florida is on my approved list for new job opportunities too.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: pmcd9 on December 14, 2005, 06:38:28 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
That dude has a disturbing level of Mulletude.

However, I think you will find a lot of dudes who look like that in Florida. At least, I assume so from watching 'Cops'.

Congrats, though! Florida is on my approved list for new job opportunities too.

The mullet I don't mind (too much), it's the fuck*ng asshole part I won't miss.

I've always wanted to go to Florida to watch spring training.  Maybe now i'll get to do that.

~Paul
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: antioch on December 14, 2005, 06:45:04 pm
Congrats on the new locale and position. But dang, I was hoping we would one day go to the same concert in Houston or something and I'd see the righteous 'stache in person. I'm playing Super Happy Fun Land on the 12th of January, if you come I'll dedicate several songs your way, including one about life changes (it will be appropriate to your situation).
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: miles on December 14, 2005, 06:46:56 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
The mullet I don't mind (too much), it's the fuck*ng asshole part I won't miss.


Yeah, the mullet alone is merely funny.  But the dude looks menacing.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: pmcd9 on December 14, 2005, 06:49:36 pm
Quote from: "antioch"
Congrats on the new locale and position. But dang, I was hoping we would one day go to the same concert in Houston or something and I'd see the righteous 'stache in person. I'm playing Super Happy Fun Land on the 12th of January, if you come I'll dedicate several songs your way, including one about life changes (it will be appropriate to your situation).

Dammit, I live about 1/2 mile from SHFL, but i'll be gone by January 12.  That's two days before my birthday btw.  You'll just have to come hang out before then.  Come to the HACK NYE party at Kennywould.  I'll PM you.

~Paul
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: antioch on December 14, 2005, 07:09:18 pm
I should be down for that party, let me know the day and location and I'll deffinitely try and make it.

 1/2 mile from SHFL, it must've ruled! I hope you find some points of cultural interest in Miami. I know of a couple bands from Florida (This Bike is a Pipe Bomb - folk/punk, Yip Yip - new wavey noiseyness), and a label (No Idea Records - Against Me!'s label), but am not too familiar with specific Miami happenings.
Title: Re: Moving to Florida
Post by: Limmo on December 14, 2005, 09:47:53 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Best of all i'll never have to see this sorry fucker (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0542-E2-400.jpg) ever again.

~Paul


Oh, my god, wasn't he the second guitarist for .38 Special?  

Good luck and godspeed with the move and job!
Title: Re: Moving to Florida
Post by: CortJstr on December 14, 2005, 09:54:52 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Best of all i'll never have to see this sorry fucker (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0542-E2-400.jpg) ever again.

So is that guy just too much of a wuss to go for the full Lemmy beard or what? Does he just not have The Balls? </Stephen Colbert>
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: pmcd9 on December 14, 2005, 09:56:17 pm
Did I mention that it's a wig?

~Paul
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: slink on December 14, 2005, 10:01:08 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Did I mention that it's a wig?

~Paul


Oh, he was he like a movie extra and got to keep it?
Cause otherwise... WHAT!?

Seriously though, congrats on the move. Promise me on your last day you'll light up the car on the way out of there...
Or not get arrested I guess, your call.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: Doc on December 14, 2005, 10:36:25 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
wig?


Please let that be a lie, I don't want to live in that world.

Congrats on the move by the way, it's always fun to up sticks and try somewhere new.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: wombat on December 14, 2005, 11:29:04 pm
We can't wait to see the moustaches you find in Florida.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 15, 2005, 06:53:47 am
Of course it's a wig. Just look at it. It's downright Davy Crockettesque.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: jough on December 15, 2005, 07:57:29 am
The wig is just hiding his Vanilla Ice fadeaway.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: Lister on December 15, 2005, 08:28:33 am
I wasn't a big fan of Florida, but almost all of that was due to weather issues and/or apartment issues.  I'm assuming since you live in Texas that the weather won't be all that different, and with more than two days to find a place to live, you probably won't have the same problems I had with the apartments.  Also, I lived in Orlando, which is worlds apart from Miami in that it's a "transient" city -- most of the population was not born there and does not intend to live there forever.  Miami's better in that sense.

Important things to know about Florida:

There will be a thunderstorm nearly every day unless it is winter.
The red light in a turn lane is just a suggestion.
Make sure your air conditioner in your residence is adequate and properly maintained.
You'll want a filter for your water, as most of it comes from aquifers.
Don't get Sprint DSL.
Look for a "satellite office" of the DMV.  They're only open a few days a week, but the reduced line is worth it.
Florida is a "No fault" state, so be sure to review your liability insurance.
If you're buying a home, find out which set of hurricane regulations it was built under.  Also pay attention to drainage.  You'll probably want to add insulation, too.
The Ale House is a pretty good restaurant chain.  Try the Big Red.

This list might look mostly negative, but that's just because it's stuff that surprised me.  The good parts I already knew.

Congrats on the job!
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: side_show on December 15, 2005, 11:15:11 pm
Punch him Paul, punch him good and in his face.
Title: Moving to Florida
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 16, 2005, 04:26:54 pm
I'm goin' down to Florida
And I'm gonna bowl me a perfect game
I'm gon cut off my leg down in Florida
And dance one-legged off in the rain.