The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: acoxcae on December 14, 2005, 06:43:16 pm
-
Meh. I think Ray's writing isn't entertaining unless he's writing about something near and dear to him, like liquor or women.
I would not read Ray's diabetes story (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12142005).
I do like the idea of living life with a constant respectul awareness of diabetes though - like, every day in the back of your mind, just thinking, "Damn, diabetes sure is tough. I better stay on top of that."
edit: somebody tell the phpbb people to STOP ADDING A DAMN CLOSE URL TAG WHEN I'VE CLEARLY ALREADY DONE IT. This is not that hard.
-
The whole "Fear of Diabetes" theme is pretty common in Achewood. It's a dominant theme in my life, for which I'm mocked.
-
Points on the distinct sound effect for deleting. Take that, onomatopoeia!
-
The only way it could have been better is if it had been prefaced with "ker-" or "ka-." ker-DELETE!
This is a sinister story. Has Ray Smuckles Gray Rackles been genetically engineered to like Tough Customer Ham Pockets, or what? What kind of SCIENCE! has been worked here?
-
That's it, I permanently like this strip.
Don't the first two panels look like your traditional disposable/stand-alone syndicated comic strip... you know... first two panels?
(there's got to be a technical name for that)
-
I like thought bubbles.
-
Final panel and alt text: priceless
-
Surely "Gray Rackles" is now a candidate to be one of those title thingies that you get for posting a certain number of messages (is there a name for that?).
Anyway, it's true, Reader's Digest is awfully powerful. We had stacks and stacks of them in the basement back home and I used to read 'Life In These United States' before I went to sleep. This was when I was in second grade. Even to this day, my mom will call me up occasionally and tell me to stop eating giraffe, based on something she read in Reader's Digest.
-
edit: somebody tell the phpbb people to STOP ADDING A DAMN CLOSE URL TAG WHEN I'VE CLEARLY ALREADY DONE IT. This is not that hard.
I'm guessing it's the buttons. If you open a tag with the handy buttons at the top of the screen then you must also close that tag with those buttons. If you click Submit first then the buttons will still close the tags for you anyway assuming you forgot. They're not smart enough to see that you've manually typed the close tag. Work around: either use the buttons exclusively or not at all.
So did Ray just forget to make up a fake brand name for Fritos? It's not like he thinks it's generic because he capped it. Random fact I learned from my current job: Bubble Wrap is still a trademark. Apparently we're supposed to be calling this shit "air cellular cushioning" The hell?
-
Diabetes is a running theme in Achewood, does Onstad himself maintain a respectful awareness of the disease?
Also, I am uncomfortable with my comics preying upon my hypochondria this much. Between Beef's neuroses about protein blockage in a leg signifying a tumor, Ray's diabetes, and whatever the hell Phillipe has that makes him retarded; I'm either laughing or in the back of the room with a paper sack checking my pulse* every 20 seconds.
* also, for lumps.
-
That's it, I permanently like this strip.
Don't the first two panels look like your traditional disposable/stand-alone syndicated comic strip... you know... first two panels?
(there's got to be a technical name for that)
I don't know the technical name for it, but many Sunday comic strips would make the first two panels superfluous so that they could be cropped depending on the comics section layout.
"Gray Rackles" made me laugh out loud.
-
whatever the hell Phillipe has that makes him retarded
I believe that's called "being five." Sure, he's never stopped being five, but he's a cartoon character. How long has Bart Simpson been 10?
-
That's it, I permanently like this strip.
Don't the first two panels look like your traditional disposable/stand-alone syndicated comic strip... you know... first two panels?
(there's got to be a technical name for that)
I don't know the technical name for it, but many Sunday comic strips would make the first two panels superfluous so that they could be cropped depending on the comics section layout.
Yeah, I guess I learned that from Bill Watterson. When he wrote in one of his books how he rebelled against all those sunday strip format constraints and all. Until then I guess I thought those first panels were just some sort of "pre-joke".
-
whatever the hell Phillipe has that makes him retarded
I believe that's called "being five." Sure, he's never stopped being five, but he's a cartoon character. How long has Bart Simpson been 10?
Oh I know.. I just don't like him unless he's being tormented. I think it goes back to my hatred of children. (And yes.. I also kick puppies.. before anyone asks.)
So really that last one was a dig, I appologize for the confusion.
-
I thought those panels were the throwaway joke.
V, don't forget that Philippe is in therapy (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10232001) for something. So there's more to him than just being 5.
-
I thought those panels were the throwaway joke.
V, don't forget that Philippe is in therapy (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10232001) for something. So there's more to him than just being 5.
Well, I think this gets back to the Achewood Hypertime thing. Philippe clearly used to be a retarded adult in therapy for something at the beginning of the strip... but in the beginning of the strip, the Underground didn't exist, the alive stuffed animals couldn't get pizza, and Ray had an owner. In the current version of the universe, Philippe appears to just be 5, although he may be in therapy for his many traumas.
(Speaking of which: is Franky dead yet? I sorta lost track.)
-
The only way it could have been better is if it had been prefaced with "ker-" or "ka-." ker-DELETE!
Bless.
-
Of course Ray always wondered if there would ever come a day when he'd be writing to Readers Digest.
-
(Speaking of which: is Franky dead yet? I sorta lost track.)
Franky is not dead yet, nor has he gone to Hollywood. Prediction: Lyle eats him in an alfredo pasta dish.
-
I thought those panels were the throwaway joke.
I wish I had seen this faster so I could beat Cort to the punch. Yes I learned it from bill watterson.
this strip is funny. I like the idea of Tough Customer Ham Pockets.
-
I think I permanently like Tough Customer Ham Pockets and I've never even tasted one. That is how great this cartoon about talking cats is: It has made me permanently like a fictional foodstuff.
-
Interestingly enough this past Saturday while I was out Santa-ing (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9744-E-1024.jpg)with my Santa friends (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9781-E-1024.jpg) we had a Santa gorilla (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9747-E-1024.jpg). He was supposed to be handing out banannas to the children and lecturing them about the dangers of type II diabetes from eating too many sweets, but he was too preocupied with getting drunk so I (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9755-E-1024.jpg) did (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9758-E-1024.jpg) it (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9759-E-1024.jpg). Earlier in the evening, independantly of the other Santas I gave oranges (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9710-E-1024.jpg) away to the children (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9713-E-1024.jpg). At one point I was surrounded (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/SANTA_RAMP_05/LGHTS_HGHTS/DSCN9718-E-1024.jpg). I thought I was going down like Gulliver.
~Paul
-
I've said it once before, and I'll say it again: Paul runs in weird circles, man.
-
Yeah, but I think Paul has approximately 80% more fun than I do.
-
Damn, Paul. I'm not usually a fan of Christmas but I might have to run with the inspiration from your gorilla-diabetes-fire-hot chicks-moustaches style and totally OWN Xmas in Ohio. You, sir, know how to rock it and you have shown me the light.
That post was my Christmas Miracle.