The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Bozack on December 12, 2005, 04:21:46 am

Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Bozack on December 12, 2005, 04:21:46 am
WARNING- IF YOU HAVE ANY RESPECT FOR ME, AND WOULD LIKE TO KEEP IT, PLEASE STOP READING NOW. THIS WILL ONLY HURT YOU.


New question-
As you might be aware, humans evolved from apes. We lost our tails, our kickass grabby toes, and most of us lost our thick, luxuriant pelts.
Most of us.
Some of us are a bit less evolved than others. Some of us have managed to grow unsightly back-hair. And not just the bottom of the back-hair; I'm talking the wings. I believe, that with surgical strikes, I can isolate and prevent these still-light patches from become a Carl-level event.
So, I put it to you, TOUAMB- how does one go about getting their back waxed?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: acoxcae on December 12, 2005, 04:27:05 am
This might just be me talkin', as a guy with only a slight amount of back hair, but I don't think any level of back hair could force me into waxing it - women are far braver than I when it comes to yanking a wide swath of hair off of their bodies.  In my opinion, I'd Nair it first.  If that shit works HALF as good in real life as it does on TV, you're home free.

If you must get it waxed, call a spa.  Tell them about the, ah, situation, and I'm sure that if they don't up and volunteer, they'd be able to point you somewhere - those guys are straight up HELPFUL.

Also, act like you do it all the time.  I think they have a special level of pain for first-timers.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Choop on December 12, 2005, 07:36:08 am
Waxing? Dude. Whatever you do, don't bother with waxing. Why? It's temporary, and you'll have to go back in a couple-few of months. From what I've heard.

I don't grow hair; not even a full beard. I'm lucky to have a goatee, based on my geneology.

Open a special bank account, beg and plead for money for your "first home" from friends and family -- I know that electrolysis (sp?) is the way to go. ESPECIALLY for back, stomach, knuckle, or lung hair. Even if it's not permanent (apparently, it 'only' lasts like several years), it's way more cost-effective than anything like waxing or Nair or Nads (which, though ridiculously named, is basically at-home waxing).

Plus, it don't hurt like ripping off your nipple.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AugustWest on December 12, 2005, 03:32:26 pm
Quit being so vain and accept your hairiness.  Be down with your hirsute self.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 12, 2005, 04:17:22 pm
Yes, shit. Damn. Yes.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 12, 2005, 05:13:11 pm
After considering this question deeply, I feel that we need a picture of said back hair in order to properly evaluate whether it needs to be painfully eliminated.   But in general...  I don't think a guy should look like a naked mole rat, but he shouldn't look like a gorilla either.  

Don't you live in NYC?  There must surely be several hundred spas within walking distance that would wax any part of you.  Forget the Nair because you probably can't reach your back well enough to do it effectively and seriously- it does work that well so God only knows what is in the stuff.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: CortJstr on December 12, 2005, 05:17:34 pm
I have a small patch between my shoulder blades. Being double jointed I can shave it myself but that almost makes things worse so I've decided to be "natural." Like hippies, some feminists, and the occasional fetish porno site.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 12, 2005, 05:31:03 pm
Oh Bozack, if my SO even showed the remotest interest in waxing his back I'd be all up on him with a deluxe spa gift certificate.  But he is not.  And I applaud you for your grooming.

If you want to wax, go and wax!  There are many co-ed and man spa's in NYC that will do the job for you very nicely.  I happen to have the catalogue for the best spa in my local here with me, and they charge $35 and up for a back and shoulder wax.  Waxing is very good for the out of the way hairs because it weakens the root so that over time the hair will be thinner, and some may not come back at all.  

Also, do not try the at home kits.  Do. Not.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Lister on December 13, 2005, 12:31:50 am
I have a follicle-enhanced back area as well, and personally I stopped worrying about it 'cause no one who I care about cares.  Doesn't matter what anyone else says.  Anyway:

Shaving is obviously The Wrong Thing.  Nair or other depilatories would be an ok solution if you're adept at putting it on (or have a friend-with-benefits to do it).  Waxing would work for longer periods, but costs money and hurts bad, and if I'm going to pay to hurt it had better result in something more valuable than a hair-free back.

Personally, if it were me and I had to get rid of the hair I would save up for electrolysis or laser treatment.  It costs less than waxing in the long run*, requires less hassle, and doesn't result in stubble (which is the worst part about temporary hair removal).

*Supposition.  I have no idea how much any of this costs, but I have heard that waxing needs to be repeated every 3 weeks or so, which amounts to 17-18 times annually.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Bozack on December 13, 2005, 12:41:30 am
Because you asked.

GAZE UPON MY SECRET SHAME. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Bozack/back1.jpg)

Oh, Bozack, you might say, that isn't that bad!

ISN'T IT? ISN'T IT? WHY'D YOU HAVE TO SELL YOUR EYES? (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Bozack/back2.jpg)
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: acoxcae on December 13, 2005, 01:11:32 am
This is officially Not A Problem anymore.  Your back hair is well within acceptable societal limits, as it does not peek out of your shirts, and you're still able to see skin through it.

If it still bothers you, then refer to all the knowledgeable posts above me.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 13, 2005, 01:15:30 am
Man, seriously. I have known guys with way worse back-hair problems than that, let alone things like backne. I wouldn't bother to mess with it unless you have some sort of ladyfriend who objects really strenuously.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: andalucia on December 13, 2005, 01:24:02 am
See, I told you.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AugustWest on December 13, 2005, 01:39:46 am
Just wait -- you'll wish your back was the only place you had unwanted hair!
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Bozack on December 13, 2005, 01:51:08 am
I'm just afraid that those patches are the opening vanguard for an all-out assault, bent on turning me into my father, a man so hairy that I was convinced, as a child, that he was actually a werewolf. As that annoying guy on that show I hated as a kid would say, we've got to NIP IT in the BUD!
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 13, 2005, 02:22:06 am
There is going to be a time in your life where you really don't care about the hair on your back. Given the inevitablity of it, why not stop caring now?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 13, 2005, 02:31:26 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
I'm just afraid that those patches are the opening vanguard for an all-out assault, bent on turning me into my father, a man so hairy that I was convinced, as a child, that he was actually a werewolf. As that annoying guy on that show I hated as a kid would say, we've got to NIP IT in the BUD!

Digression: when I was a small child, I always thought this expression was actually "nip it in the butt." It took me until an embarrassing incident in fifth grade to learn otherwise.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 13, 2005, 03:04:00 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
There is going to be a time in your life where you really don't care about the hair on your back. Given the inevitablity of it, why not stop caring now?


Wow, this is brilliant advice about such a large number of things.  But probably impossible to execute.

That back hair seems like no big deal to me also.  Why make a big production now because it might be different later?  By the time you turn into your werewolf-father maybe they'll have invented less primitive ways to remove it.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 13, 2005, 06:00:42 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Digression: when I was a small child, I always thought this expression was actually "nip it in the butt." It took me until an embarrassing incident in fifth grade to learn otherwise.


Fifth grade?  That's nothing!  You can't even really call that embarrassing anymore.

There was a show on This American Life (http://207.70.82.73/pages/descriptions/05/293.html) with a segment (the first one) about this phenomenon.  These people didn't find out until well into their adulthood.

This has happened to me many times.  The best stories have to do with Fugazi lyrics.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: arkabee on December 13, 2005, 02:33:51 pm
cultivate the back hair,
for sooner than you'd wish
it can be used as farmland
for transplantations elsewhere.


so,
um,
how much for an hectare?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 13, 2005, 06:43:25 pm
Dude. Seriously, dude.

I had to strain to find your back hair 'problem'.

That little wispy shit? Get real. I got hairs growing from my ears lusher than that. I have to trim nose hairs that I could STAB you with.

Keep that hair there - it will eventually work really well on your scalp when you get to that point in your life. Or you could donate it to Ark since he seems to want it.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: arkabee on December 13, 2005, 07:42:44 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Or you could donate it to Ark since he seems to want it.


remember when you joked that AW's haircut made him look like a hippy compared to mine?

i don't cut my hair short because i like it,
i just learned to live with reality.

if little dude don't want his back hair,
i will gratefully allow it to be transplanted onto my head.

there, i've said it, and _i_ _feel_ _better_.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 13, 2005, 08:07:41 pm
I do remember that!

But I was really referring to your question about the cost of a hectare.

I'll be fashioning my trimmed nosehairs into olive spears if anyone wants a unique accesory for their holiday Hors d'oeuvres.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 13, 2005, 09:59:52 pm
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
There is going to be a time in your life where you really don't care about the hair on your back. Given the inevitablity of it, why not stop caring now?


My dad used to use this arguement against doing all sorts of things - why bother cleaning up, it'll just end up messy again?  Why mow the grass when it's just going to keep growing?  Etc.   In the end I got him.  He had one of his "why bother, it's just going to go back to the way it was" arguments and I countered with "why bother eating, you're just going to get hungry again, right?"  You can't just give up - fighting the inevitable decay and devolution of our bodies into hairy fleshy piles is only natural.  I am pro brushing your teeth, shampooing your hair, and all other grooming.  

Bozack - should you remove your back hair?  I still say yes.  If anything else it gives you license to push your SO to maintain arm and leg shavedness.  It's a delicate balance.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: arkabee on December 13, 2005, 10:55:56 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I do remember that!

But I was really referring to your question about the cost of a hectare.

I'll be fashioning my trimmed nosehairs into olive spears if anyone wants a unique accesory for their holiday Hors d'oeuvres.


le sighe.

what a waste.

i bet i could super-glue them lengthwise, end to end, and create the world's most disturbing comb-over.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 13, 2005, 10:59:26 pm
I don't know about that, but you might be able to glue them to perpendicular surface in a parallel fashion and make the world's most disgusting comb.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: arkabee on December 13, 2005, 11:01:49 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I don't know about that, but you might be able to glue them to perpendicular surface in a parallel fashion and make the world's most disgusting comb.


huz-zah!

well said, good sir.

and good day.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Bozack on December 13, 2005, 11:27:26 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
so,
um,
how much for an hectare?


If you PM me your mailing address, and I actually do go get it waxed, I will obtain the strips and mail them to you.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 14, 2005, 12:02:38 am
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
There is going to be a time in your life where you really don't care about the hair on your back. Given the inevitablity of it, why not stop caring now?


My dad used to use this arguement against doing all sorts of things - why bother cleaning up, it'll just end up messy again?  Why mow the grass when it's just going to keep growing?  Etc.   In the end I got him.  He had one of his "why bother, it's just going to go back to the way it was" arguments and I countered with "why bother eating, you're just going to get hungry again, right?"  You can't just give up - fighting the inevitable decay and devolution of our bodies into hairy fleshy piles is only natural.  I am pro brushing your teeth, shampooing your hair, and all other grooming.  

Bozack - should you remove your back hair?  I still say yes.  If anything else it gives you license to push your SO to maintain arm and leg shavedness.  It's a delicate balance.


Quite different. He's not going to have a time when he looks back and chuckles that he liked to eat and brush his teeth (not both at once). Odds are that he will look back and chuckle that he wanted to wax his back. Old people, in my experience, are generally well groomed. Grooming is not a habit someone loses with age, typically. Certain types of grooming (waxing, etc.) eventually lose their appeal because they really are pretty silly and don't stand up to the pain in the ass/benefit ratio especially when the benefits decrease with age.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 14, 2005, 12:06:23 am
Man, I am all for fighting entropy, but hair growing on the back is not a symptom of the universe falling apart. It's a symptom of being a primate. Such is life.

I mean, if it gets to werewolf level, sure, take whatever actions you deem necessary. But that is not werewolfery.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 14, 2005, 12:15:25 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"


Old people, in my experience, are generally well groomed. Grooming is not a habit someone loses with age, typically. Certain types of grooming (waxing, etc.) eventually lose their appeal because they really are pretty silly and don't stand up to the pain in the ass/benefit ratio especially when the benefits decrease with age.


This works the other way too - people don't suddenly develop good grooming in old age either.

Badly groomed old folks are often heinous.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 14, 2005, 12:41:46 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Badly groomed old folks are often heinous.


Yeah, yeah.

I've seen the broad spectrum of the elderly when interviewing elders in the community: from the perfectly groomed to the guy who sat on a pile of news papers to absorb his pee.  Oh, I did a double, triple take for that one.  Is that news paper he's sitting on?  Check.  Wait, is that...is that a puddle on the news paper?  And then the smell explained it all.

If you're well groomed now, you'll be well groomed then - I have to agree with this sentiment.  Again, another argument to start as many grooming rituals now as a young pup to maintain as they grow more an more nessisary.

Anyway, one of my greatest worries is that when I grow old I'll be one of those old ladies who has a beard.  I've specifically told my SO to watch for this, and make sure to help me do away with it should it come.  The old lady beard - it scares me more than cancer.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: arkabee on December 14, 2005, 02:55:30 am
i don't actually want your back hair, bozack.
i was joking.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: jough on December 14, 2005, 05:52:56 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Because you asked.

GAZE UPON MY SECRET SHAME. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Bozack/back1.jpg)


Top item on Gizmodo now (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/gift-back-hair-begone-142759.php).  They must read TOUAMB.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: theinevitable on December 14, 2005, 03:45:06 pm
two things:

 Sideshow: do people (by which I mean: women) actually shave their arms? Why?

And two: Bozack, I can sympathize. I occaisionally find a stray long hair on my back (ie: growing out of it.) and do the whole "oh god, I'm turning into my gross hairy uncle" thing... getting out mirrors... ugh.

Also, I'm scared of going bald. But that's a different problem all together.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 14, 2005, 03:57:32 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Because you asked.

GAZE UPON MY SECRET SHAME. (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Bozack/back1.jpg)


Top item on Gizmodo now (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/gift-back-hair-begone-142759.php).  They must read TOUAMB.


This was, more or less, an "invention" on MST3K 12 or so years ago.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 15, 2005, 11:05:17 pm
Quote from: "theinevitable"

 Sideshow: do people (by which I mean: women) actually shave their arms? Why?


Well, most North American women shave their underarms.  So yes.  And why?  Well, the same reason many men shave their faces - aethetic and cleanliness reasons.  Also, some women, mostly those who have dark and/or thick hair do shave their arms.  My sister waxes her arms from elbow to wrist, as her arm hair is thick, and she prefers it.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 16, 2005, 12:24:29 am
I know several men, or "men," who shave their arms.

Bozack: I'm all for waxing.  I dated a girl once and she was going to hook me up with some laser hair removal (I have about the same amount as you do), and I was totally going to go for it.  Not all over, but, you know  Enough so I look more like a human than a chimp.  But then we stopped dating, so I lost the hook-up.  Once I stop being poor, I will get waxed regularly.  My sister's a cosmetologist, but refuses to do it.  I don't blame her, but damn, could save me a lot of money.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2005, 01:38:53 am
yeah. I didn't think of under-arm shaving. I thought you meant just general arm hair.

but apparently some people -do- do that. hmm.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 16, 2005, 02:00:28 am
Okay, from people who would know: how much forearm hair on a woman is enough to force one to shave/wax/whatever? I have relatively hirsute forearms but have never been sure whether it would be weirder to continue to be hirsute or to shave. I mean, wouldn't shaved forearms look really weird? And, eventually, stubbly?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Bozack on December 16, 2005, 03:57:45 am
I had never even considered arms as a place where people could shave, and I'm probably the worst person to ask about whether or not an arm should be shaved, as I have literally no feelings whatsoever about women shaving armpits/crotchtacular regions vs. not doing so. As long as the lady-beard isn't kicking it, I'm down. I just sort of assumed that people had hair on their arms, not that it was something To Be Corrected.
Arms? Jesus, and you people hopped all over me for not liking the back hair.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 16, 2005, 05:33:57 am
I guess it's all arbitrary as to what is acceptable and what is excessive grooming.

To recap, my grooming preferences are correct and other people should fall in line. People who groom less are slobs and people who groom more are wasting their lives worrying about things like that.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2005, 02:16:33 pm
Don't you watch American Dad? When the daughter is bald and some heckler goes, "that's the only place you want them to have hair!"

Why isn't there a way for women to be totally hairless other than long flowing hair on top of the head? I mean, isn't the only reason we let women be scientists at all to work on these kinds of issues?

Also, what's up with women aging? Is it really necessary?

One day this will be taken out of context and will ruin my career/life.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 16, 2005, 02:44:18 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Okay, from people who would know: how much forearm hair on a woman is enough to force one to shave/wax/whatever? I have relatively hirsute forearms but have never been sure whether it would be weirder to continue to be hirsute or to shave. I mean, wouldn't shaved forearms look really weird? And, eventually, stubbly?


You know, the only reason a woman should remove her forearm hair is if it looks like man-arm hair, in fact, when it comes to my own policy of removing hair I always ask myself, is the hair man-ish, and if not, why am I removing it?  The only exception I make is to eyebrows - though even if I never removed any eyebrow hair I would still not have man-brows, but I really prefer a neat, tidy, sculpted look.

As for my sister, who I noted removes her arm hair, I think her arms look a little weird - all uber-smooth with a bit of a shiny quality.  Also, yes, I've seen arm stubble when she is in an inbetween stage, and this is also weird.

I remember ages ago seeing Laura Flynn Boyle on some talk show talking about how she's into getting a full body wax - meaning from head to toe - everywhere except her head hair, and well, that seemed like a little much to me.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2005, 03:23:08 pm
I just found out that one of my friends does that full body wax thing.  It was possibly more than I needed to know.

But really, what's wrong with a little hair, people?  We're mammals.  It's cuddly.  Would you rather snuggle up to a puppy or a naked mole rat?  Or one of those hairless cats or a frog?  Doesn't the puppy win every time?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Ben-San on December 16, 2005, 03:52:58 pm
So while we're on the subject of body hair: I am a fat dude. I have a non-insignificant quantity of body hair. Now, I know that a hairy fat dude is kind of disgusting in a sasquatch kind of way, but it is my opinion that without my body hair my flesh resembles that of a dead frog or beached whale. Which is a less disgusting way to go, sasquatch or beached whale?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2005, 04:29:13 pm
C'mon.  As long as neither was going to bite you to death, which would you rather hug, fuzzy Bigfoot or a slimy whale?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: andalucia on December 16, 2005, 04:52:16 pm
I figured this was a substantial enough discussion to merit its own thread, so people can continue asking their divers questions in the old thread.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 16, 2005, 05:48:59 pm
I have less hair on my back than doth Bozack but I still put the Nair to it when I was in college.  

My unwanted-hair dilemma includes the back of my neck, which is solved easily enough with a Braun and a willing girlfriend with a steady hand, but the back hair thing was a Problem that I had to solve on my own.  I must not have been as careful with the Nair as I should've because I got some on the top of my shoulders and it removed all the little, normal, non-offensive hairs that everyone just kind of ignores.

The resultant sensation was hell of strange - my t-shirts were actually touching bare skin without the tiny hair buffer zone to cushion them.  It was like being constantly stoned, always aware that I'M TOTALLY WEARING A SHIRT, MAN, AND IT FEELS SO HEAVY!!

So my warning would be to watch where you put that stuff.  It takes off ALL the hair it touches, not just the nasty ones, and you'll be left with patches of crazy sensation.  Otherwise it was satisfactory and lasted much longer than I expected.

I've heard that this phenomenon motivates many women to wax "down there," a factual fact that I include only out of TOUAMB obligation to Educate.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 16, 2005, 06:09:39 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I remember ages ago seeing Laura Flynn Boyle on some talk show talking about how she's into getting a full body wax - meaning from head to toe - everywhere except her head hair, and well, that seemed like a little much to me.


It seems like after something like that you'd have to hang out for a few days in the burn victims unit to make sure you don't get any terrible infections.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 16, 2005, 07:17:53 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
So while we're on the subject of body hair: I am a fat dude. I have a non-insignificant quantity of body hair. Now, I know that a hairy fat dude is kind of disgusting in a sasquatch kind of way, but it is my opinion that without my body hair my flesh resembles that of a dead frog or beached whale. Which is a less disgusting way to go, sasquatch or beached whale?

I dunno, I am of the opinion that as long as you are not actually a werewolf, dudes basically don't need to worry about depilation. I mean, there's an expectation that a dude will have a certain amount of body hair (as opposed to women, where a lot of people seem to really believe there should be no hair at all except on the head). Based on my strictly anecdotal evidence, guys who are actually worried about their body hair generally don't need to, and guys who really are werewolves tend to be proud or at least accepting of it. ("Al, you're a Tribble." "Yeah, so?")
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 16, 2005, 07:35:50 pm
I know there are some people who believe that females should have no other other than on the head, but for me this is quite a turn-off.  Even if she waxes or shaves, you know, down there, I strongly prefer that at least some be left alone.  Because, I guess, wombat's right--we are mammals.  Then again, I dated a girl who liked hairless cats.

But trimming down there (for men and women) does make oral sex less of a chore, in my opinion.  Just don't trim it all off.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2005, 12:30:09 am
man. miles, I"m wanting to agree with you. but any elaboration here sounds kind of wierd. so I'll just say--

Miles, you are totally right. A little bit of hair "down there" is a nice thing.

Of course, I suppose it's less of a hassle just to shave -all- of it off. Or at least, that's the excuse I've been given.


Personally, I have had to begin plucking my eyebrows. Because I have/had a unibrow. And it is/was quite unattractive.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 17, 2005, 01:10:25 am
Without going into crass description, I agree.

Smoothness is cool and a little heartshaped patch at the top is way cool.
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 17, 2005, 03:36:29 pm
Speaking of fleshy and hairy, here's something  that creeps me out. (http://www.patriciapiccinini.net/wearefamily/index.php?sec=yf&pg=01)
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 17, 2005, 03:52:56 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Speaking of fleshy and hairy, here's something  that creeps me out. (http://www.patriciapiccinini.net/wearefamily/index.php?sec=yf&pg=01)


Holy fuck!  Something's wrong...
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 17, 2005, 04:33:25 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Speaking of fleshy and hairy, here's something  that creeps me out. (http://www.patriciapiccinini.net/wearefamily/index.php?sec=yf&pg=01)

Yeah, I've seen this in person, and it's a little creepy. Then again, it's also one of those things where I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if it had a "point" or not and concluded it was better if pointless (as it were).
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2005, 04:51:48 pm
See, wouldn't  it be so much less disturbing if it were furry?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 17, 2005, 04:54:29 pm
Speaking of furry love, anyone seen King Kong yet?
Title: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 17, 2005, 05:42:26 pm
Quote from: "miles"
Speaking of furry love, anyone seen King Kong yet?

Yes, sorry I meant to comment on this movie.  Didn't hate it, but I can't recommend it.  It goes on way too long, they overplay the relationship between the ape and the girl and they change the story in one very significant way that ruins one of the more powerful scenes from the original.

~Paul
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 21, 2005, 05:30:14 am
An older lady with a lady mustache cut in front of me at the store today.  It was such a thick 'stache with varied colours of hair: blond, brown, white & gray - that I said nothing when she cut in front of me.  Also it was trimmed neatly so as not to cover her lip.  It had a neat and tidy trimmed line.  This was fascinating and confusing - she, or someone who cares for her, trims her 'stache so that it doesn't impede her mouth, but didn't trim it all off.  WTF was going on there?  WTF?  Oh, god, what if there's a certain age where you just lose awareness of the fact that you have grown a lady 'stache?  Oh God!  What if one day I will have a lady 'stache and I just won't know it!  No!  Noooooooooooooo!  I'm scared.  Someone hold me!
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 21, 2005, 08:08:23 am
As long as you don't spill into my personal space, like on an airplane or a bus or subway or movie theater and particularly if you don't have the attititude that you somehow have the absolute right to take up space that I paid for, I don't care. But when beefy flesh with that savory whiff of fermenting fold-sweat is pushed up against me, against my will and in my space, I get offended pretty quick.

Being a person of gravity is one thing but there are limits to what people should have to put up with.

Well, uh, I wasn't actually advocating shoving people, was the thing. By and large I do not shove people in public. But, you know, if thin people can somehow claim a domain over public space via taking up less of it, I can presumably use some jocularity in counterarguments.

So! Anyone having any hair-related difficulties lately? I fear this thread is wandering some, and keeping it on topic will serve as a valuable public service.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 22, 2005, 03:59:36 am
Yeah, I am.  Trying to decide if I should keep my head-hair longer or cut it shorter.  I've asked several people, and here are some of the replies:

Sister (and hairdresser):  Longer
Close (but platonic) lady friend:  Longer
Closeted gay friend:  Shorter ("everybody loves you with short hair)
Gay friend:  Longer ("I love the way it curls around your ears"--to which I blushed)

I'm mainly just posting these because it seems eerily and quite tensely quiet in here.  Maybe it's just because I didn't post for a couple days, or maybe it's just because I just read the debate in the fat thread.  And I always feel somehow responsible when it gets like this in a social situation.  You know, just trying to dispel the tension.

Oh, on a related note (have I mentioned this already?):  Has anyone seen Sarah Silverman:  Jesus is Magic?  I liked it.  For one, it was hella funny.  Two, I am in love with her.  But here is a hair-related joke:

I think strippers should be role models for little girls.  If only for the fact that they wax their assholes.

It's in the trailer, so I'm not really spoiling it for y'all.

Edit:  Reversed hair and head in the first line.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 22, 2005, 04:12:09 am
Yeah, I am.  Trying to decide if I should keep my hair-head longer or cut it shorter.  I've asked several people, and here are some of the replies:

Sister (and hairdresser):  Longer
Close (but platonic) lady friend:  Longer
Closeted gay friend:  Shorter ("everybody loves you with short hair)
Gay friend:  Longer ("I love the way it curls around your ears"--to which I blushed)

In the absence of a picture of your hair, I would have to go with the majority and say longer. Growing out your hair is more easily reversible than getting a bad short haircut, although both will repair themselves given time. (Isn't that the great thing about head hair? And the terrible thing about hair anywhere else?)

Quote
Oh, on a related note (have I mentioned this already?):  Has anyone seen Sarah Silverman:  Jesus is Magic?  I liked it.  For one, it was hella funny.  Two, I am in love with her.  But here is a hair-related joke:

I think strippers should be role models for little girls.  If only for the fact that they wax their assholes.

I hope that they have other people wax their assholes for them. Doing it yourself seems... awkward.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2005, 04:34:09 am
I think that if you waxed your own asshole, someone would walk in on you. You would then blurt out "it's not what you think!"
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 22, 2005, 04:37:36 am
I think that if you waxed your own asshole, someone would walk in on you. You would then blurt out "it's not what you think!"

Yeah.

"You mean you're not waxing you're asshole?  Then what in fuck's name are you doing?!"
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 22, 2005, 04:43:16 am
Yeah.

"You mean you're not waxing you're asshole?  Then what in fuck's name are you doing?!"

"It's... it's performance art!"

(cue laugh track)
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2005, 05:39:45 am
Shorter is hell of easier.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 22, 2005, 05:48:31 am
Shorter is hell of easier.

Yes and no.  Generally, I step out of of the shower, and I am good.  Longer hair may take a minute longer to carefully put in place, usually much less, but with shorter hair, the cowlick in back is much more noticeable.  Not that I always do anything about it, but, you know.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Choop on December 22, 2005, 05:55:46 am
I'm growing my hair long again, and it's in that dang ol' transition state where it looks like crap but after a few more trims and a few more months, it'll look pretty good. Maybe even awesome, in comparison. Kind of makes me wish I was planning on keeping it; next time I grow it out it'll be for keeps for a while.

But man, you know those four-to-six months between short hair and long hair? They suck.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2005, 06:16:38 am
Yes and no.  Generally, I step out of of the shower, and I am good.  Longer hair may take a minute longer to carefully put in place, usually much less, but with shorter hair, the cowlick in back is much more noticeable.  Not that I always do anything about it, but, you know.

Yes.  yes.  Yes.

I step out of the shower and I am good.  Even if I don't take a shower I am reasonably good. 

When I had a longer hair I was good for about 20 minutes.

When I had long hair I was good for about 30 seconds.

Now I cut my hair every 2 weeks or so and never think about it again.


Hair is a fuck*ng distraction.

Wasn't the point of having long hair to prove that?  Hair length doesn't matter.  Why is hair length any more significant than toenail length?

Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 22, 2005, 06:32:10 am
Wasn't the point of having long hair to prove that?  Hair length doesn't matter.  Why is hair length any more significant than toenail length?

Long hair advertises that we don't have parasites, silly. (http://parasitology.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/login/n/h/0625.html)

I'm currently at that transition stage of "something needs to happen to this hair, and I don't know what." My plan is to head to one of the beauty parlors here (hey, this is the town where they filmed Steel Magnolias; what could go wrong?) and just say "try me." Anything that can make the shape of my head look less freakish, I'm all for.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: jough on December 22, 2005, 06:49:33 am
Sometimes I remove all of the hair on my head (eyebrows, lashes, etc.) just so people will ask me if I have cancer.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: theinevitable on December 22, 2005, 07:23:28 am

My younger brother shaved his head over the summer one year, and I told his friends that he lost his hair because he was in chemo.
I was a kid. I am not proud.

But yeah, I now have the perfect length of hair. Unfortunately, there's this one wierd spot where my hair is super-curly. As in, about two square inches of my hair forms into one big wave-curl, and the rest of it is straight. i have no idea why.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Bozack on December 25, 2005, 01:40:49 am
Aside from UNSIGHTLY BODY HAIR, I don't really spend that much time on hair maintenance- I rub my hair, which is gettin' pretty long now, with a towel and run a comb through it before putting on what some would call a "toque," I trim my beard and shave off neck hair once a week, maybe once a month I do eyebrow and nose touch-ups. However, I really should post a nowadays picture of me and get opinions on hair-cuttin'.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 28, 2005, 06:09:07 am
I go for a seasonal $6 hair cut at the local hair school.  In fall the girl cutting my hair started crying and saying things like "Oh, no, I'm giving you a bad hair cut!" and "Oh no, I'm doing so bad!"  At the end of the hair cut she was crying even more as her teacher fixed me up.  It was fun.  This time I got a girl with only rudimentary English language skills but lots of hair cutting skills.  After I told her what I wanted to have done she asked "You want crazy hair?  I like to give you crazy hair!"  and since I was totally into it I agreed "Yes, please give me crazy hair!"  She kept saying "You be sexy!  It crazy hair!"  She actually did a mostly awesome job, and it is crazy in that it is the first time I had a hair cut that actually compliments my stupid perma-cowlick - the hair is sort of short and stand-up ish at the cowlick area, so it actually looks like it's supposed to stick out in all directions instead of just doing it anyway.

Anyone else have a cowlick? I actually have two and I hate mine - one's on the left hand side right at the crown of my head - this is the one that is now part of my style.  The other is at the front of my head and makes my hair fall directly into my face unless it's clipped back.  I wish I could get rid of them, as it really limits my hair styling options.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 28, 2005, 06:30:42 am
Yes, cowlicks.  I have one in the back.  That's why I tend to keep my hair really short or longer.

Did I mention that I think my hairline is receding?  Not too noticeable, but it kind of sucks.  Maybe I should just shave it...  At least I would never have to deal with a fuck*ng cowlick again.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: CortJstr on December 28, 2005, 02:01:26 pm
I had two right in the front over each eye. Since my hair is going away I think they aren't a problem anymore.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 28, 2005, 06:04:31 pm
I think one stylist counted something like 14 cowlicks on my head. my hair just goes where it wants, so it only looks good real long or real short. Or permed.

But no wants to see that. (again).

(it was the 80s. Shut up.)
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 28, 2005, 07:22:10 pm
I think one stylist counted something like 14 cowlicks on my head. my hair just goes where it wants, so it only looks good real long or real short. Or permed.

But no wants to see that. (again).

(it was the 80s. Shut up.)

You had an 80's perm?  That is awesome.  That is.... awesome. 

I had many an 80's perm.  Have you thrown out all your hair picks AD?  I still have one - you know, just, like, in case I ever need it again.  Even better, I have one picture of me when I was like 8, and my mom did a home perm kit on me, but only on my bangs.  It was this little tuft of tight curls above my face, and my strait hair hanging down everywhere else.  And I am so fuck*ng happily grinning in the picture.  I didn't have a clue.  Not a clue.

As my dad taught autobody at a technical collage for most of my childhood, and that collage had a hair program, I have had fascinating things done to my hair.  The best was when I went in just for fun one day and they gave me a huge beehive.  I don't remember how old I was, but I was definitely pre-pubescent, and there I was with over a foot of hair sticking out from the top of my head.  I remember right after that I got into my dad's jeep and bent my hair to the right at a 90 degree angle on the jeep roof.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 28, 2005, 08:15:10 pm
The picks are wherever I put:

My skinny silver metallic tie
My skinny burgundy leather tie
all the knit ties cut off square at the bottom
my Don Johnson-esque unstructured white cotton jacket and pastel t-shirts
the many pairs of white and offwhite #####
the panama hat I wore with the jacket and #####
my Z-Cavaricci #####
My vertical striped shirts with solid color collars with drilled tie-bar holes
the tie bars
My deck shoes
my polo shirt with the turned up color
the pastel camp shirt I layered over the polo shirt

and...
Everything else I bought at "Chess King"


Sometimes I miss the eighties. But thinking about the clothes - not right now.

Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: V-Adore on December 28, 2005, 08:20:02 pm
I've been relatively lucky and not had to deal with any persistent cowlicks, although I had a friend in school who had the classic Li'l Rascals front-lick and managed to integrate it into his personal style. Me, I just have straight hair that frizzes easily but will never go curly in the way you actually want it to... curse you, incomplete dominance!
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: CortJstr on December 29, 2005, 01:15:15 am
Damn Dawg. Sometimes being oblivious to trends is quite handy.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 29, 2005, 01:19:26 am
Damn Dawg. Sometimes being oblivious to trends is quite handy.

My only defense is that the fashion alternative, for the most part, was a bruce-springsteenesque white t-shirt and levi's. That was before all hte gay guys dressed that way.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2005, 03:16:58 am
My only defense is that the fashion alternative, for the most part, was a bruce-springsteenesque white t-shirt and levi's. That was before all hte gay guys dressed that way.

You mean before Freddy Mercury started dressing that way.


(http://www.queenzone.com/multimedia/pictures/images/Freddie_Mercury/27820034529.jpg)
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2005, 01:11:18 pm
My only defense is that the fashion alternative, for the most part, was a bruce-springsteenesque white t-shirt and levi's.

And what would have been wrong with that?
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 29, 2005, 07:49:16 pm
You mean before Freddy Mercury started dressing that way.


(http://www.queenzone.com/multimedia/pictures/images/Freddie_Mercury/27820034529.jpg)


I meant a crew tee, Freddie's wearing a -beater. What freddie might beat while wearing it is his business.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 29, 2005, 07:50:20 pm
And what would have been wrong with that?

Now I know what I will be wearing when I visit DC next.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 29, 2005, 11:41:03 pm
Now I know what I will be wearing when I visit DC next.

I seem to recall that wombat is a Springsteen fan.  Another tiny can for her.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2005, 12:04:18 am
AD is such a tease.  He is never coming to DC, blue jeans and white tshirt or not.

And a tiny can to Miles for remembering my musical tastes for no good reason that I can imagine.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on December 30, 2005, 06:16:02 am
AD is such a tease.  He is never coming to DC, blue jeans and white tshirt or not.

And a tiny can to Miles for remembering my musical tastes for no good reason that I can imagine.

Well, you do know David Bowie personally, so who wouldn't keep up on your tastes?

I have a soft spot in my heart for all Springsteen fans (I realize there are millions--I have a big heart), so I guess that's the reason.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2005, 01:02:16 pm
Now it's Miles who's being a tease... Don't anyone get all excited, this (http://www.pmpkn.net/lx/index.html) is the only David Bowie I know.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 30, 2005, 05:25:15 pm

I have a soft spot in my heart for all Springsteen fans (I realize there are millions--I have a big heart), so I guess that's the reason.

Sure its big. But is it hungry?
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on December 30, 2005, 05:39:33 pm
Why do you need to ask that question?

Everybody's got a hungry heart.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Hobo Frenzy on January 05, 2006, 01:29:08 am
A hungry heart huh? I understand that they poop out love but what exactly does a heart eat?

(this is my first post on this new board and I gotta say "damn! (i seriously said it) there are a lot of buttons now!")


Rexanal?
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Bozack on January 05, 2006, 02:25:08 am
Tomorrow morning I've got a hair appointment at the Aveda school. This morning I turned around in front of the mirror on the way to the shower- it's getting worse. Much worse. I might have to break down and go here (http://www.nickelspanyc.com/).
In any case, I'll take a picture of my new head tomorrow and maybe post it.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Lister on January 05, 2006, 02:42:47 am
Their Laser Hair Removal page (http://www.nickelspanyc.com/clientmanager/Live/Sites/index.asp?CID=374&DataID=1&DataCatID=) has prices for (among other parts) Buttocks, Full face, Back neck, Front neck, Brazilian, Bikini, and Face cheeks.

Face cheeks.

I guess they mean "cheeks only," but I'm enjoying the way they put it.  "I would like Laser Hair Removal on my face cheeks, please.  Perhaps I will also get some on my front neck."
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on January 05, 2006, 04:07:13 pm
Their Laser Hair Removal page (http://www.nickelspanyc.com/clientmanager/Live/Sites/index.asp?CID=374&DataID=1&DataCatID=) has prices for (among other parts) Buttocks, Full face, Back neck, Front neck, Brazilian, Bikini, and Face cheeks.

Face cheeks.

I guess they mean "cheeks only," but I'm enjoying the way they put it.  "I would like Laser Hair Removal on my face cheeks, please.  Perhaps I will also get some on my front neck."

I imagine they use "face cheeks" so that no one assumes they do butt cheeks for such a low, low price.  I mean, after all, butt cheeks should cost more than face cheeks - due to size and unpleasantness.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 05, 2006, 05:42:31 pm
Looking at that ad, I have to imagine the clientele of this particular salon are somewhat fastidious about their appearance and svelte. I imagine the non-face cheeks aren't exactly unpleasant in such a place (if you're into that sort of thing).
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: miles on January 08, 2006, 12:54:17 am
So I found a weird hair on my ear.  Freaked me out.  I yanked it, but I don't want weird hairs on my ears.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2006, 02:28:07 am
I have a single, wirey hair that grows on my jaw line on the left side of my face.  It scares the hell out of me, and I yank it out whenever it appears.  Horrible.  Horrible.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 02:43:37 am
I have one like that too.  A hair on my chinny chin chin.  Ick.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Ben-San on January 08, 2006, 02:49:25 am
In my case, it's one on my throat. Well, plus a lot of hair on my chin what with the beard and all, but the throat is where I have one freak hair that I feel compelled to pull out when it reappears.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2006, 04:05:43 am
I have one about 2 inches above my wrist. I'm blonde, and this hair is dark as night.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AugustWest on January 08, 2006, 04:34:56 am
I once had a nose hair that was so thick and wiry that it was indistinguishable from a toenail.
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: wombat on January 08, 2006, 01:14:19 pm
Quote
I once had a nose hair that was so thick and wiry that it was indistinguishable from a toenail.
OK it's time to change the subject now....
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: AugustWest on January 08, 2006, 05:35:05 pm
I win!
Title: Re: Where ought a a man or a lady have hair?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2006, 06:30:37 pm
I win!

I'm not sure that's true toenail nosehair man.

~Paul