The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: AugustWest on December 22, 2005, 03:41:25 pm

Title: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2005, 03:41:25 pm
Deer sightings are almost a daily occurrence around here, but this one was a little odder than most.

My computer is in front of a window that faces the "big field" -- about an acre.  Our road runs alongside it and there's a cow pasture across the road.

One by one the deer jumped the fence from the pasture, crossed the road, trotted across my yard and ran off into the field on the other side of me.  The last one had a little trouble and probably got scraped up by the barbed wire on top of the fence.

Two were left in the cow pasture.  One was obviously young and didn't look to be able to make the fence jump.  These two ran around the field looking for a way out.  How did they get in?  They were on the far side of the field when I came inside.
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: V-Adore on December 22, 2005, 03:46:15 pm
This sounds more like a logic puzzle than I'm entirely comfortable with.

That said, hooray for wildlife.
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: jough on December 25, 2005, 04:57:52 am
Hey, Eagle Scout, aren't you supposed to always be prepared?

Doesn't your phone have a camera?
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: AugustWest on December 25, 2005, 05:31:34 am
My new phone that I got yesterday does.

My camera was actually within arms reach of me on my desk at the time.  This took all of about 9 seconds to happen.  By the time I'd removed the camera from the case, turned it on and set up the shot the deer would have been in Cincy and I wouldn't have seen them. 

Also, they were at least 150 yards away and there's a window between me and them.  Wouldn't have worked.

I do have some great racoon shots though, if you're interested.
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 25, 2005, 09:06:32 am
I do have some great racoon shots though, if you're interested.
You have to ask?

~Paul
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: wombat on December 25, 2005, 02:14:52 pm
I do have some great racoon shots though, if you're interested.

Why does this sound vaguely obscene?  Just cause it's the internet I guess?
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: AugustWest on December 25, 2005, 03:22:06 pm
Here you go:

Coon1 (http://frank.plagiarist.com/pix/coon1.JPG)
Coon2 (http://frank.plagiarist.com/pix/coon2.JPG)
Coon3 (http://frank.plagiarist.com/pix/coon3.JPG)

I noticed him eating cat food through the kitchen door.  The pictures I took from there were blurry.  I went around to the dining room and was able to slide down the window and hang out without disturbing him.  Actually, he was pretty fearless.  Turning on the porchlight, opening the window, the camera flash -- none of that bothered him.  And when he did notice me he only ran off about 10 feet then came back about 2 minutes later.

These pictures are kind of big. ~850K
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: V-Adore on December 25, 2005, 06:06:18 pm
Awesome.

I kind of like raccoons, even though I know I probably shouldn't. They're just remarkable animals.
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: jough on December 25, 2005, 06:30:41 pm
I have some great squirrel shots, of course in analogue format (and I'm far too lazy to scan all of my old photos like I keep meaning to).

Great 'coon shots, although I hope Google doesn't bring us the White Supremacist surfer now.

Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 26, 2005, 05:01:52 am
That's a nice looking coon.

~Paul
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2005, 04:43:07 pm
Why does this sound vaguely obscene?  Just cause it's the internet I guess?

Just be glad there are no beavers hanging out on AW's deck.
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2005, 02:54:30 am
Squirrel shots, now that's pornographic.

~Paul
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: Tangle on February 20, 2006, 12:29:26 pm
A squrrel bit me on the big toe when I was a kid. True story, that.

Sadly, I have no pictures of the incident.
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 04:07:51 pm
Squirrel porn.  Christian porn.  Paul, is there anything that isn't pornographic to you, at least potentially so?
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 04:25:04 pm
Squirrel porn.  Christian porn.  Paul, is there anything that isn't pornographic to you, at least potentially so?

My Sainted Mother (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/GAP/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10706-E-1024.jpg), for one.

~Paul
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: miles on February 20, 2006, 04:27:35 pm
Awww, Paul's a mama's boy.  I'm a bit of one myself.
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2006, 04:33:43 pm
Awww, Paul's a mama's boy.  I'm a bit of one myself.

I'm Irish, it comes with the territory.

~Paul
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: jough on February 20, 2006, 05:01:04 pm
Dude, don't post a photo of your mother on the internet!  Someone like MisterQueue is prolly beating off to it right now.

You SICK FUCK
Title: Re: Seven deer just ran across my yard.
Post by: misterqueue on February 20, 2006, 05:02:51 pm
Normally I'd be totally delving into sick fuckitude here... DELVING.


But even I know better than to come between an Irish boy and his Ma'.