The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on December 25, 2005, 06:28:27 pm

Title: What did Santa get you?
Post by: jough on December 25, 2005, 06:28:27 pm
Merry Christmas, kids.

Was Santa Claus good to you all?  What'd you get?

I am playing with my shiny new 300Gb USB2 external hard drive.  Whee.  Also, some DVDs various gift cards to Best Buy and Circuit City are sitting on my desk.  The SSO has also arranged a vacation in Paris for New Year's.

I was more happy this year about what I got for my people.  I had a pretty good year so I was able to get some decent Christmas gifts to engender wonder and delight in the hearts of those I love.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 25, 2005, 07:08:09 pm
In terms of the big-ticket things, I got a digital camera and (while this is not big-ticket, it's greatly helpful and appreciated) a thumb drive. Otherwise, it was mostly books and CDs, the highlight of which was the TMBG Venue Songs Holiday Pack. I now have so much new TMBG I don't even know where to start.

I did enjoy giving more than receiving this year, really. It's a great feeling to realize you got someone just the perfect thing, especially when it wasn't a direct request. (My family has always been big on just asking for what we want, so successful surprises are all kinds of excellent.)
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: wombat on December 25, 2005, 08:27:22 pm
Santa got me a new job and I got to quit my old job.  Although since the new job's only temporary, I'll have to ask for another one for my birthday.  Or maybe after the Christmas rush is over, Santa could convince someone to quit or retire.  I got the job because two people broke bones, but it seems like rather bad karma to ask for another one of them to break something.

And on the more worldly side I got amazing chocolate from here: www.chuaochocolatier.com (http://www.chuaochocolatier.com)

And all the sparkly little Dr Peppers!
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2005, 08:57:50 pm
yayy
I got a digital camera, which is wonderful. and cds, dvds, and a nice shirt.
my girlfriend's parents got her a camera which, as far as I can tell, is the greatest digital camera ever produced. she is going to have to get insurance on it. it is insanely nice.

I gave my dad a book on James Taylor, which made him laugh so hard. The reason that he laughed: he knows that I hate James Taylor very much.

I also got a borders gift card, which I will use to buy the Pixies book. And maybe a cd.

so. Merry Christmas!
I managed to fall almost asleep reading a book about Judaism the night before christmas, so I think I win the "reason for the season" award.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Bozack on December 26, 2005, 05:43:44 am
Hopefully, by next week I'll be rocking a new 120 gig drive in the ol' workhoss laptop here- I'll finally be able to rip those Talking Heads CD's, and the CD's I got for X-mas (2 Mountain Goats, 2 Guided by Voices). Add a few books and DVDs, plus the obligatory "I'm your Mom and you look awful" gifts (underwear, undershirts, socks, sweater and button-down long-sleeve) and I made out well. The best thing was really going home to see everyone, although I wish I had been able to stay longer (Wednesday to Sunday, fuck you, work!). I got a nice friend-kiss from a girl that I've been on the outs with, so that was probably the best.
However, an acceptance letter would be amazing...
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 26, 2005, 06:34:05 am
What are you trying to get accepted to?

I got a stack of books which I wanted. I got to stay up late on X-mas eve to put together a slot car track which is more fun than I remember plus our cat occasionally attacks the little cars as they go around which is hilarious.

I got a gift certificate to a paddling shop which I may use to buy a new canoe paddle (what I <really> want is a one-man outrigger).

I got the wife black pearl earrings and an i-pod. And a couple CDs she wanted. The 6 year old got some earrings, a locket and the commemorative edition of Captain Under##### #1. The 10 month old got a leap table and a learning with Lily doll both of which teach with the time-proven method of annoying songs.

I got my parents and her mom a Ceiva digital photo receiver (http://www.ceiva.com).  It's pretty nifty and good for technologically stunted old folks who live far away.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Choop on December 26, 2005, 07:22:56 am
I got a bottle of Hangar One vodka (my current fave), a great new belt buckle (La Madre de Guadalupe), 4 P.G. Wodehouse books, and (from the wife) a superman ringer, some lovely chocolates, Dunhills, andten socks. My mom got an 8.5 qt. Calphalon stock pot; my dad got an autographed Second City biography; my best friends got another stock pot, and my wife got a gorgeous bejeweled bottle opener, some embroidered hand towels, and (from me) the Bread anthology, the Cary Grant flick "A Touch of Mink," and last but certainly not least, a vacation to South America. We're going to Santiago, Chile for four days, and Buenos Aires, Argentina for nine.

Oh! I also got a couple sixers of Harpoon Winter Warmer. I'm not one for flavor3ed beers, typically, but this one is spiced just enough for a lovely aftertaste. Pick some up, if you're legal.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 26, 2005, 07:48:31 am
However, an acceptance letter would be amazing...

God, do I ever copy you there.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: antioch on December 26, 2005, 08:33:13 am
I gotta smoke the boy at HeroScape pretty soon.


Solid choice! I got my little brother a game by Milton Bradley called "Battle Ball." In the future, football players cybernetically enhance themselves and rip each others' heads off in lieu of tackling. It's so much fun that it's insane.

I got a pen/thumb drive, too. My bro wrapped it for me inside an "Ice Princess" dvd box. Best fake out of the day, for sure.

 And coolest of all, my bass guitar set up is now tweaked with passive and analog effect boxes. Yay, Christmas fun. HUUUUUGS!
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Doc on December 26, 2005, 05:40:24 pm
I got a variety of delightful things (also muchos cash and vouchers which was much better for me this year since I'm doing unpaid work at uni over the break and going back for honours in february) the best by far was a 19inch LCD screen my girlfriend and brother chipped in for. Of course this way the cue for my long suffering video card to finally die an ignoble death. I have just enough cash to replace it (not to upgrade unfortunately) but no decent store opens for about a week so I'm stuck for now.
The fat man giveth and the fat man taketh away.

Speaking of the fat man I just saw Narnia and what was with Father Christmas making an appearance? Can't we be clear on what mythology we are going for here? Also Susane was a monumental waste of everyone else's oxygen.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: wombat on December 26, 2005, 06:04:37 pm
Old fogey attack:  I do not understand what any of antioch's presents are.

Carry on.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Bozack on December 26, 2005, 10:24:15 pm
Acceptance letter to Columbia's Continuing Education Elective Studies program, wherein I can take Columbia courses for college credit despite the fact that Columbia does not admit spring transfers.
ohpleaseohpleaseohplease
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: antioch on December 27, 2005, 04:33:26 am
Old fogey attack:  I do not understand what any of antioch's presents are.

Carry on.

 Battleball is a board game involving dice that have more than 6 six sides.

 A pen drive (http://www.lexar.com/jumpdrive/jd_secure.html) is a small hard drive that plugs into standard USB ports. It has the compactness of a pen or a thumb, but much more storage space than either.   

 My new analog effect pedal modulates sound frequencies. It looks and sounds like this. (http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F14%5FModulation%2F04%5FSmall%5FStone) You don't even need to visit. Just imagine eternity interpereted into sound. Electro Harmonix: give the gift of infinity.

 I hope this helped.

 Bo - college, man.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: robot_roll_call on December 27, 2005, 04:54:46 am
Well...let's see here...

I got the Complete Calvin and Hobbes from my girlfriend, and I really could have stopped right there and been happy.

My parents got me a 50 dollar gift certificate to the Cheesecake Factory for my girlfriend and I, socks (I had no idea people actually got socks for christmas, but I will grudgingly admit I need them), some new shirts, and an iPod.

Oh, and for reasons unknown to me, this Erector set (http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/brio_corporation/erector_hummer_h2_radio_controlled.cfm?display=more). I never had an erector set as a kid, but I am a fan of toys you put together, the more pieces the better. I spent 4 hours yesterday and today putting it together, and my fingers hurt from all the tiny screws and such. But now I can drive it around like an RC car! Whee!

None of these things were on my list. But I think it's even better when people get you things that weren't on your list that turn out to be great. It's nice to be surprised.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 27, 2005, 05:46:29 am
My parents got me a 50 dollar gift certificate to the Cheesecake Factory for my girlfriend and I, socks (I had no idea people actually got socks for christmas, but I will grudgingly admit I need them), some new shirts, and an iPod.

My mother gets me socks every year. To some degree this is a reference to necessity (I lose socks like nobody's business), and to some degree it's just a tradition. At this point, it isn't really Christmas without socks.

Have pity on me.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: acoxcae on December 27, 2005, 07:53:48 am
I actually mark my official passage into adulthood by the time when socks went from being the worst Christmas gift ever to tops on my list.  At some point, I was just like, "Damnit, I DO need socks, and I sure as hell won't buy them."

Of course, now that I want them, no one gets them for me.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: misterqueue on December 27, 2005, 01:16:30 pm
My mother buys me boxers, every single year.  I'm not sure what the Freudian meaning is for "Hey remember to cover up your junk son..." but there you have it.

This is why I never take my girlfriends over to her place at Xmas time...
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2005, 04:38:04 pm
The best present I received was one o' those single-cup pod-based coffee makers (http://www.homecafe.com/index.shtml).  It now sits in my office, solving the problem of completely suckful office coffee.

As with many here, I enjoyed giving more than receiving.  Lizzie del Vaca really got Christmas for the first time, and it was great to see her reactions; the big things like the doll house and the box of dress-up clothes were really entertaining.  But she made even small things, like a new hat and gloves, immensely fun.

(http://www.bigfool.com/elizabeth/bighands.jpg)
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: jough on December 27, 2005, 05:15:12 pm
That is an immensely cute photo.  Also, does she have cartoon hands?  Do those gloves really only have three fingers and a thumb?

Also:  "Blog del Vaca" needs another vowel, maybe "Bloga del Vaca."  It's all about the symmetry, man!
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: CortJstr on December 27, 2005, 05:31:15 pm
I got food poisoning this year. I was still able to go to both my parents and the SO's but I couldn't really eat anything.

Other than that I got Civ 4, a couple of shirts, The Art of Discworld, some CDs that I never got around to buying, and some cash to switch to a non-ridiculous cell phone/plan (it took me 4 years to use 1,000 minutes on my last phone, I don't need no 500 minutes a month).

And of course socks and underwear. I don't want to have to buy that crap for myself. It's not manly
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 27, 2005, 05:57:26 pm
That is an immensely cute photo.  Also, does she have cartoon hands?  Do those gloves really only have three fingers and a thumb?

They're way-too-big gloves that she probably has no business wearing for at least two years.  But she wanted to put them on anyway.  I like the look and may adopt it myself.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 27, 2005, 11:55:03 pm
I got food poisoning this year.

Wow! Best gift ever!

(Sorry, dude. I couldn't help it.)
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Lister on December 28, 2005, 03:55:35 am
I got the Complete Calvin and Hobbes this year, too.  I had an unreasonable desire for it, and my siblings got it for me!  Yay!  I also got a pretty good digital camera with a friggin' huge memory card, a gig of RAM, my first real cookin' knife (it has scallops and everything), and the Cowboy Bebop session 2 that's apparently been reprinted finally.  Why, yes, I am a giant geek.

My two nieces both got iPod nanos.  When I asked my nephew (http://www.intemporality.com/images/croquet03.jpg) what he got from Santa, he said "not an iPod."  Poor kid.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: theinevitable on December 28, 2005, 04:13:59 am
oh man.
Bozack: I feel you. I'm hoping mine comes the 15th of January, but, who am I kidding... And if I don't get in there, I have to wait until the 31st, and if I don't get in there... forever. It's something like the 1st of april?

Also: Person who is going to Santiago... Santiago is awesome. My mom was born there, my grandparents still live there, and it's gorgeous.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Choop on December 28, 2005, 05:45:32 am
Also: Person who is going to Santiago... Santiago is awesome. My mom was born there, my grandparents still live there, and it's gorgeous.
Well, we're still planning things to do, so if you can think of anything I might be missing, let me know. Where is there to eat on a Sunday?
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: side_show on December 28, 2005, 07:25:43 am
Did you ever get one of those gifts that just humbled you?  Every year my SO's family showers us with and embarrassment of riches.  None of his family is well off, but many of the gifts are made, or collected over the previous year, and all have a great deal of thought put into them - there are no throw away gifts.  More importantly, they shower use with so much love that it aches and it never fails that I get that twinkly feeling in my nose that tells me I can either break out in the ugly cry-to-joy or distract myself to avoid a scene. 

So we got all these lovely gifts, and just when we're all buried under gifts and wrapping paper, taking in all the wonderful things we've been given, my SO's dad tells us they have another gift for us, but since it couldn't be wrapped we have to come into the kitchen to choose.  There in the kitchen are these two tables in the room.  Turns out the SO's dad went out, collected old oak wood from the bush, and hewed it down into legs, and bottom shelf and base, then ordered in large ceramic tiles for the tops.  He wanted us to choose the top we wanted, since he had made a pair of each.  The grain is so beautiful.  Looking at them you can just instantly tell that they will last for ever.  The fact that he turned old dead trees (the SO's grandmother tells us the wood was laying where he found it for at least 10 years) into something so sturdy, solid and beautiful, and that he presented them to us so humbly and unassumingly, was just one of those moments.  He has the skill, the craftsmanship, to make something that could sell in stores for hundreds of dollars, but he presented them as "just" something he'd made.  It was so sweet and heartbreaking.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: CortJstr on December 28, 2005, 02:08:35 pm
Cowboy Bebop session 2 that's apparently been reprinted finally.
Wait, what? Is this just disc 2 of the series or is there some whole other Cowboy Bebop thing that I'm unaware of? I had to completely stop visiting anime sites like 2 years ago to stop hemorrhaging money so I've been kind of out of it, news-wise.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Hobot on December 28, 2005, 07:38:14 pm
I received hella books, including Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss; Queen of the Turtle Derby and Other Southern Phenomena by Julia Reed; An Exaltation of Larks (possibly the most stupendous book ever written) by James Lipton; A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906 by my favourite author, Simon Winchester; and no fewer than three Russian dictionaries.

My mom found the poster pictured below on eBay.  It's a reproduction 1930 Russian propaganda poster that reads "Religion is Poison."  The grandmother is trying to drag the young girl to church, but the girl, a true daughter of the Revolution, is desperately reaching for the modern building, which says "School."

(http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9106/poster5ud.jpg)

My wonderful SO got me the "HUUUGS" shirt, which I am modeling below.  I bought him two LPs: Radiohead's "OK Computer" and Boards of Canada's "Twoism."

(http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/3402/huuugssmilecopy7wk.jpg)
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: wombat on December 28, 2005, 08:16:45 pm
Hobot and that shirt are cute.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 28, 2005, 08:21:04 pm
Wow, yeah, the shirt's cuter than what I expected.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 28, 2005, 08:22:22 pm
So's Hobot.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Golfhaus on December 28, 2005, 09:52:20 pm
I also got the HUUUGS shirt for a girl for Christmas... my girlfriend was very understanding about the fact that it didn't arrive until today - mainly because she got me Achewood stuff that didn't arrive either. I got two Lyle pint glasses, and a signed Liquor Taste Test with frame.

The two most significant gifts came from parents. My mom got me a year's worth of insurance on my condo. Sara's parents got me a spiffy leather jacket.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: theinevitable on December 28, 2005, 11:44:13 pm
wow, so.
if there were a person who posted their picture on this board, I might tell them that they were quite attractive. But, that would be creepy of me, so I won't.

Choopernickel-- the last time I went I was in 7th grade, so, I have essentially no idea.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Hobot on December 29, 2005, 01:28:25 am
I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: jough on December 29, 2005, 07:02:55 am
It had to be for the photo.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2005, 07:08:07 am
I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?

Umm, which would you prefer to be flattered for?
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: misterqueue on December 29, 2005, 11:13:35 am
I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?

Look at it this way, is it better to have a tiny can of Dr. Pepper or a bunch of lecherous comments posted?

I mean, me, I pick the latter; but I understand most would prefer the former.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 29, 2005, 07:41:27 pm
I have to wonder, did someone bestow a tiny can of Dr. Pepper upon me for my picture, or for my unrelenting and incisive wit?

Picture. of course.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: theinevitable on December 29, 2005, 08:36:10 pm
so, I need to ask this.
Hobot, like many on this board, refers to her "SO". What is this? I realize it's "significant other", but why not "boyfriend" or "girlfriend"? Is that too old fashioned? Am I missing something?

Or, maybe it's one of those things. Like this episode of Seinfeld I watched yesterday, where a Elaine sees her boss eating a Snickers with a fork and knife, so she starts doing it, and someone sees her... and by the end, everyone is eating candy with utensils.

All I can think of is it being a politeness thing. Like, to be nonspecific in gender and orientation? but then, why the gender-specific pronouns? When i first saw it, I thought "oh, this person is homosexual, and doesn't want awkward "omg but you're a dude!" comments." But, in fact, I have seen this for all varieties of SO.


Or is it just shorter to say? And easier, with the confusing relationships of modern human society?
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: jough on December 29, 2005, 09:16:55 pm
It's because people are assholes, and are trying to make everything gender neutral so as not to offend some imaginary person who supposedly would be offended by the use of a gender-specific term.

Also, people, especially in the U.S., seem to think that the Constitution provides a Right to Not Be Offended.  But it does not.

I remember referring to the woman who brought me a tiny can of Dr Pepper on an airplane to be a "stewardess" and was told that the "correct" phrase was "flight attendent" because the man who also holds the job probably wouldn't want to be called a stewardess.  I politely reminded the smarmy fuck that his title is "steward."

Also, I believe it is legal in the state of Pennsylvania to slap someone who refers to those round metal plates in the street as "personholecovers."

This also reminds me: when we were kids my friend's mom wouldn't permit him to say "helicopter" because it had the term "hell" in it - so he had to say "heckacopter" and sound like a douchebag.

Also: he was not allowed to play outside when the street lights went on, which probably was fine when they were on a timer, but when they switched them over to a photosensor, he had to stop playing football in the street at like, 4:30PM.  I can't remember if he was allowed out when it was cloudy or not.

Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: jough on December 29, 2005, 09:17:59 pm
Oh, and to answer the original question I think "significant other" implies a more serious relationship than "girl/boy-friend" does.  It's in-between gbfriend and fiancee.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: CortJstr on December 29, 2005, 09:36:23 pm
I use SO because it's only two letter for me to type. Also I can never remember which letter gets an accent in fiancee. Sometime I even use it when speaking just because it seems weird to say "boyfriend" when the people involved are like 30.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 29, 2005, 09:40:26 pm
Oh, and to answer the original question I think "significant other" implies a more serious relationship than "girl/boy-friend" does.  It's in-between gbfriend and fiancee.

Yeah, that's why I use it. I have been known to use "boyfriend" as well, but "boyfriend" to me does not connote "adult with whom I am in a long-term relationship" particularly well, and most of the alternatives are sketchy- or stupid-sounding. ("Lover" implies that we're meeting for restless nights in one-night cheap hotels, "paramour" indicates that we are apparently Merchant-Ivory characters... and from there it's turtles all the way down.) Ergo, I use SO as shorthand for "person with whom I am romantically involved in a way more long-term and binding than 'boyfriend' would connote but which has not yet reached 'fiance' level."

(Also, I'm with Cort on the accenting issue: while I luckily only have one e to remember, 'fiance' without the accent looks wrong, and with the accent it takes extra effort and looks a little pretentious, so... y'know, SO.)
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Hobot on December 29, 2005, 10:03:59 pm
Oh, and to answer the original question I think "significant other" implies a more serious relationship than "girl/boy-friend" does.  It's in-between gbfriend and fiancee.

Ditto.  Also, I dig both ladies and fellows, so SO conveniently covers both situations.  Huzzah for my perpetuating a Smithie stereotype!

And the accent in fiancé(e) is always on the first "e."  The second "e" is used to denote femininity.  It's a French "thang."
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2005, 12:01:14 am
it seems weird to say "boyfriend" when the people involved are like 30.

Yes.  This seems to me like a sufficient reason to use an alternative.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 30, 2005, 01:15:46 am
Can we get back to how cute Hobot looks in that t-shirt please?
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: theinevitable on December 30, 2005, 02:22:03 am
alohadawg.
I think, from now on, we can assume that any post by certain members includes that, as a subtext. They are simply refraining from saying it in every single post, to be polite. Also, because once something becomes an essential part of how you look at the world, you eventually stop mentioning it.

You can assume, from now on, that I am mplying that she looks nice in the t-shirt in every post I make. This is a promise.

If, for instance, I say "Jesus Shootin' Heroin is my favorite song of the week, because I have only recently discovered the merits of early Flaming Lips"
you could assume that I meant to say:
"Jesus Shootin' Heroin is my favorite song of the week, because I have only recently discovered the merits of early Flaming Lips. The thud of the bass on the verses reminds me how seeing that picture hit me. deep in my soul."


Hobot-- I am no longer really talking about you in the shirt. I am mostly just making a joke. I could care less what you look like in any shirt. I mean, I care enough to not be rude. Don't think I don't care. What I'm saying is, if you asked me "how do I look in this shirt?", I would answer, but, in this case, the comments were more about the idea of a picture of a girl in a shirt, rather than you specifically.

Also, I will now begin calling my "SO" my lover, and licking my lips suggestively when I say it. Not because it applies, but because that makes me laugh.

I think we can all agree that Achewood is a good comic for people who enjoy language too much.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 30, 2005, 03:51:38 am
It's because people are assholes, and are trying to make everything gender neutral so as not to offend some imaginary person who supposedly would be offended by the use of a gender-specific term.

I think it's less about being politically correct than it is about being ambiguous.  In here at least.

~Paul

Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 30, 2005, 03:56:37 am
Oh and i'd like to add that I don't care for the term.  I feel it diminishes the person being referred to.  It almost smacks of shame to me.  One should refer to their loved ones with pride.

~Paul
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 30, 2005, 04:21:00 am
Oh and i'd like to add that I don't care for the term.  I feel it diminishes the person being referred to.  It almost smacks of shame to me.  One should refer to their loved ones with pride.

~Paul

Okay, then which term would you use?
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: jough on December 30, 2005, 04:46:08 am
Ditto.  Also, I dig both ladies and fellows, so SO conveniently covers both situations.

You had me at "I dig both ladies and fellows."
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 30, 2005, 04:49:32 am
Okay, then which term would you use?

You could just call them by their name.

~Paul
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AugustWest on December 30, 2005, 06:20:38 am
You never even called me by my name...
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 30, 2005, 06:21:03 am
You could just call them by their name.

~Paul

There are two problems with this:
1) You get the ever-charming "launching into a monologue about someone identified by name whom nobody else knows" routine, which inevitably results in a twee little footnote or a clarifying second post; and
2) My beloved/paramour/gentleman caller prefers that his real name not be used on the Internet, and his Web alias is... well, a smidge juvenile. (It sounds like something a bright 14-year-old would have made up to call himself on a YA-sci-fi-novel MB, and it may well have been.) I am thus hesitant to use it somewhere where he isn't known for himself, because it will sound like I'm seeing a terminal doof. (Which I might be, but bear with me.)

I realize 2 is a little specific, but so be it. I don't speak for anyone else.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AugustWest on December 30, 2005, 07:06:18 am
like I'm seeing a terminal doof. (Which I might be, but bear with me.)

True love is truly and deeply accepting his terminal doofness.  True wisdom is realizing that we are all terminal doofs.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: theinevitable on December 30, 2005, 07:48:36 am
I would like to say, thank you for ignoring my post where I tried hard to be funny, but ended up sounding like I was just... trying really hard.
also, a very lame guy.

Thank you for this. this is what the internet should always be like.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2005, 12:58:35 pm
I think we can all agree that Achewood is a good comic for people who enjoy language too much.

Yes.  And Hobot looks cute in that shirt.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: CortJstr on December 30, 2005, 01:54:15 pm
2) My beloved/paramour/gentleman caller prefers that his real name not be used on the Internet, and his Web alias is... well, a smidge juvenile. (It sounds like something a bright 14-year-old would have made up to call himself on a YA-sci-fi-novel MB, and it may well have been.) I am thus hesitant to use it somewhere where he isn't known for himself, because it will sound like I'm seeing a terminal doof. (Which I might be, but bear with me.)

You're dating Raistlin316?

Raistlin 3:16 says: I just ate your soul with a magic stone shaped not unlike an eggplant
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: side_show on December 30, 2005, 05:15:39 pm
In regard to the "SO" thing, I like the title.  A little under a year ago my SO and I became common law partners, not by any choice of ours, but because the Manitoba government changed the laws (during the whole legalization of gay marriages process here in Canada) so that any couple having lived romantically together for two or more years are now considered each other's spouses.  While I still consider him my boyfriend (there was no ring or ceremony, hello!) the government considers him my husband.  So in all documentation his is, very significantly my other... As tax payers, on the census, etc. we are married.  Also, after four years together, I suppose our relationship is more significant than just... dating... I mean, we own a house together, and if there was ( god forbid) a separation, there would be a very serious custody battle over the cats.  I used to use the term "partner" but since I actually do have business partners, if I refer to him as my partner, at least in coversation, some people get confused and think I'm referring to a co-worker.  On top of all that I work with a lot of people who have same sex partners, who they all referr to as "partners" also, and the lingo, at least in my workplace seems to be applied to same sex couplings only.  I like the term "significant other" a lot.  It makes it clear that I am in a romantic partnership with someone, without making it juvenile - aka "boyfriend" or clinical of vague - aka "partner."  It works.  Also, when it comes to my many queer colleagues, when I say I have a "significant other," I can tell that it sets them at ease - this lingo let's them know that I am open to, accepting of, and in deed a part of a non-traditional partnering.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: V-Adore on December 30, 2005, 07:33:27 pm
Quote from: CortJstr
You're dating Raistlin316?

Yes. Yes, I am.

To be fair to him, it's actually about the perfect intermediate step between Raistlin316 and... you know, something an adult would use to designate themselves on the Internet. It doesn't have any numbers involved.

True love is truly and deeply accepting his terminal doofness.  True wisdom is realizing that we are all terminal doofs.

Very true. Honestly, I don't have room to talk; I, too, am a terminal doof. Hell, I'm talking about this on a message board dedicated to a webcomic about talking cats -- how cool can I possibly be?

Just kidding. You guys rule the schools; I cannot stress this enough.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Bozack on December 31, 2005, 03:10:15 am
I use SO or "ladyfriend" because I am horrified of commitment and hope that, by not using "girlfriend," I can somehow distance myself from causing this person the emotional trauma attendant with the inevitable painful break-up.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Golfhaus on December 31, 2005, 01:04:01 pm
In the real world, I'm a particular fan of "my better half," but I'm sure that's because of some deep-rooted self-esteem issue or something. I also toss "SO," "girlfriend," and "fiancee" around in equal portions, "SO" being mainly online for typing ease.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 02, 2006, 04:51:20 am
I use "significant other" when referring to others en masse.  Such as "Barbecue at my house Saturday, c'mon over, bring your significant others," because that's easier than saying "Bring your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend, date, lover, gay or straight, whatever you got."

Talking about my own relationship, I say "The missus."
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 06, 2006, 05:06:10 am
Disclaimer:  This is a little bit dated.  As i've stated a few times lately my recent work related adventures have put me off my game picture wise, but the arrival of Alex's girlfriend Dawn and her awesome icecream eating pictures (http://pics.livejournal.com/sepia_tonedlove/gallery/0001et01) have prompted me to get it together and post some pictures.  So that is why I am posting in the 'What did Santa get you (for Christmas)?' thread on the late date of February 5.

So anyway...

I got lots of goodies (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Christmas/DSCN10595-E-S-1024.jpg).  Actually I bought all of that for myself (except for the shoes), but I did make my Mother wrap the laptop (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Christmas/DSCN10359-E-1024.jpg) (yes those are tomatoes) and tell me it was from Santa (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Christmas/DSCN10413-E-1024.jpg).  I also got a care package from Hawaii (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Christmas/DSCN10640-E-1024.jpg). Thanks AD.  Along with the Hawaii goodies was this guy (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Christmas/DSCN10929-E-1024.jpg).  I had him all of one day when I dropped him and broke his pinkie off.  He's still ultra cool in my book.  Thanks again Dawg.  Last night I finally got around to preparing the pancake mix with cocoanut syrup and macadamia nuts (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/Christmas/DSCN10981-E-1024.jpg).  The verdict, "mighty tasty."

I also got socks and drawers and some other stuff.

~Paul


Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: AugustWest on February 06, 2006, 05:22:05 am
Nice haircut.
Title: Re: What did Santa get you?
Post by: sunnystar on February 06, 2006, 01:41:07 pm
Paul, even though I know its been said before, your mustache is fabulous!

Also, I am so happy I have been the reason you posted pictures. Hooray!

And I went up in the St. Louis Arch this weekend and will soon be posting pictures here (http://pics.livejournal.com/sepia_tonedlove), because why not? :) Plus, I really like some of them!