The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: AugustWest on January 01, 2006, 04:55:49 am
-
I hope that 2006 is a better year than 2005 for each and every one of you, whether 2005 was great or lousy.
-
this year: I will graduate from high school. I will go to college. I will get out of Charlotte, North Carolina, whether I remain in NC, or go all the way to Upstate New York.
I will get to the part of my life where I do fun things, and new things, and the part where I don't sleep in my parent's house every night.
Happy f'in new year, everyone.
-
Happy new year, all.
Good luck with that, theinevitable. I'm at the stage four years down where, unless something explodes, I will graduate from college this year (WOOOO CLASS OF '06) and go onto graduate school. Let's hope I get an acceptance letter and that it doesn't blow.
-
I have named the year 2006.
The year 2006 shall heretofore be known as: The Year of the Fortuitous Coincidence.
Worry not, yon traveller. Fortuitous Coincidence shall aid thee in times of need.
-
Happy New Year.
That's right, they're Firecracker hats (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/NYE_KENNYWOULD_05/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10503-E-1024.jpg)
~Paul
-
I hope 2006 is the year in which Paul continues to show us fire shooting out of ever bigger and/or better things.
-
Here's a picture of me and the missus having fun last night:
(http://tinypic.com/jiesyg.jpg) (http://tinypic.com/jiesyg.jpg)
And another (I'm Geordie LaForge-in' it with her tiara):
(http://tinypic.com/jieus4.jpg) (http://tinypic.com/jieus4.jpg)
-
Good gravy my head hurts so fuck*ng bad I can't even tell you.
anyway happy new year everyone. I hope it goes better than my head goes.. and that doesn't even make sense.
-
I spent last night reading The Brothers Karamazov in an acquaintance's kitchen while he and a horde of people got drunk and high in his garage. But at least my SO and my good friend were playing excellent music for a while. And at least a particular friend of mine didn't throw up all over the place, requiring me to wipe her face off and hold back her hair while she tried to make out with me before passing out on the toilet, like last New Year's Eve.
2005 was applying Early Decision and getting accepted to Smith, getting dumped after an almost three-year relationship, starting another relationship that just passed the one-year mark, doing better academically in my senior year of high school than in any year previously, making new friends and losing some old ones, the death of loved ones, moving to the Great White North, surviving my first semester of college, and lots of good, old-fashioned personal growth.
Happy New Year, "y'all." Good luck in the coming year.
-
I didn't realize how badly 2005 sucked till last night when we toasted the new year. A big break-up, the suicide of three friends, illness, shitty world events and a lousy Mariners season. That I didn't realize how shitty it was can only be attributed to one thing: alcohol.
-
Here's a picture of me and the missus having fun last night:
(http://tinypic.com/jiesyg.jpg) (http://tinypic.com/jiesyg.jpg)
And another (I'm Geordie LaForge-in' it with her tiara):
(http://tinypic.com/jieus4.jpg) (http://tinypic.com/jieus4.jpg)
It appears that i'm not the only one here with a happening moustache.
The multiple wine glasses tell the story here. One hint for the future, always put the lady in the forefront of the picture.
Happy New Year...
~Paul
-
I didn't realize how badly 2005 sucked till last night when we toasted the new year. A big break-up, the suicide of three friends, illness, shitty world events and a lousy Mariners season. That I didn't realize how shitty it was can only be attributed to one thing: alcohol.
Here's to 2006 not sucking nearly so bad for you. For me, '05 was totally sucky from a work standpoint as I've mentioned before. (http://www.paulmcrae.com/images/Miscellany/Misc/DSCN0542-E2-400.jpg), but it took a major turn for the better at the end. Other than work though '05 was pretty good for me. I've had a lot of fun, i've experienced a lot of personal growth and have accomplished some goals. More and better to come in '06.
~Paul
-
I spent last night reading The Brothers Karamazov in an acquaintance's kitchen while he and a horde of people got drunk and high in his garage. But at least my SO and my good friend were playing excellent music for a while. And at least a particular friend of mine didn't throw up all over the place, requiring me to wipe her face off and hold back her hair while she tried to make out with me before passing out on the toilet, like last New Year's Eve.
You can't really tell from the picture, but among other things, I climbed to the top of an abandonded Silo (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/NYE_KENNYWOULD_05/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10579-E-1024.jpg) with this girl (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/NYE_KENNYWOULD_05/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10581-E-1024.jpg). Here she is on the ladder (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/NYE_KENNYWOULD_05/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10582-E-1024.jpg) which sorta proves we were messing about on a condemed decaying structure. She's not a "SO", but somehow this picture (http://www.paulmcrae.com/FEATURES/NYE_KENNYWOULD_05/IMAGES/1024/DSCN10584-E2-1024.jpg) seems pertinent to the discussion.
~Paul
-
Is her last name "Simmons"?
-
I spent last night reading The Brothers Karamazov in an acquaintance's kitchen while he and a horde of people got drunk and high in his garage.
Yeah, I've been to parties like that. The best one was the one in high school where my least clueful friend decided we all needed to drink non-alcoholic margaritas, which resulted in us standing in the supermarket at 10:30 PM on New Year's Eve, the only customers in the place, attempting to buy margarita salt, without a legal drinker among us. I'm amazed they actually sold it to us.
(Also, as I learned later that night, non-alcoholic margaritas are terrible.)
2005 was applying Early Decision and getting accepted to Smith, getting dumped after an almost three-year relationship, starting another relationship that just passed the one-year mark, doing better academically in my senior year of high school than in any year previously, making new friends and losing some old ones, the death of loved ones, moving to the Great White North, surviving my first semester of college, and lots of good, old-fashioned personal growth.
Out of curiosity, how's Smith/the Five-Colleges area working out for you? I just applied to UMass for graduate school, but I'm curious how the actual Amherst/Northampton lifestyle works in practice.
-
Out of curiosity, how's Smith/the Five-Colleges area working out for you? I just applied to UMass for graduate school, but I'm curious how the actual Amherst/Northampton lifestyle works in practice.
As soon as I finished grad school and moved away, all sorts of restaurants started opening up in Amherst. It's practically civilization now, at least last I looked. Don't try to live there without a car though, like I did because I am an idiot.
-
Out of curiosity, how's Smith/the Five-Colleges area working out for you? I just applied to UMass for graduate school, but I'm curious how the actual Amherst/Northampton lifestyle works in practice.
Well, if you didn't pick up on it from my previous post about reading Dostoevsky by myself on New Year's Eve instead of partying, I should warn you that I'm not what you'd call a social butterfly -- this means that I cannot satisfactorily judge what a town's nightlife is like. I can, however, tell you that Northampton is very gay-friendly, has the kind of eclectic and fun shops usually seen in a much larger city, is home to tons of restaurants serving a wide variety of cuisine, is a haven for hipsters (good and bad) and therefore attracts fantastic indie musicians, and is in a lovely part of Massachusetts to boot. Downsides of living in Northampton include the nigh impossible parking situation and very vigilant traffic cops, the surprisingly large number of homeless people, and the fact that Smith is such a huge part of Northampton that it might be hard to live in the town without any connection to the school.
I've only been to Amherst once, but I got the impression that it is like a larger, less diverse version of Northampton.
-
I baked a delicious cake and was in bed by 12:20, despite the bass blasting from the apartment above me. Subwoofers and apartment buildings do not a good time make. I had to work today, but I probably wouldn't have stayed out much later anyways.
Yeah, 2005 sucked a lot, but sucked slightly less than 2004 and 2003. I just heard a gun shot outside my window, so I can see the New Year is off to an auspicious beginning.
I did get a card yesterday telling me to call Columbia for an interview, which I think might be a good sign, as there wasn't anything about a "mandatory interview" in the stuff I read. They...like me? Maybe?
-
It appears that i'm not the only one here with a happening moustache.
The multiple wine glasses tell the story here. One hint for the future, always put the lady in the forefront of the picture.
Happy New Year...
~Paul
And a DrP to you, sir! I'm going for the full Van Dyke, in honor of my granddad, who had one most of his life.
The missus positions herself behind me in nearly every picture. Couldn't say why.
-
At work on Friday, whenever anyone asked what I was doing for New Years, I said "Sitting on the couch, watching the ball drop, going to bed at 12:15." That was pretty close to what actually happened. There was a Monty Python marathon on BBC America involved, however, that was not previously part of the plan.
New Years used to be one of my favorite holidays. Now, not so much. I'm a bit nostalgic for those days. But it's a trade-off.
2005 was a suckhole year for the country and pretty much the world, but for me personally it was pretty damn good. I told Catie del Vaca (http://www.bigfool.com/catherine/pinkbunny.jpg) when I put her to bed Saturday night, "2005 will always be your year." awwwwwwwwwww.
-
Every year, I feel so much pressure to go out and party on New Years. This year, the SO and I just stayed in, and it rocked. We drank wine with dinner, then moved on to our drinks of choice. By the time the clock struck, we were both pleasantly hammered, and without any discussion, ended up discarding our clothes...
My New Year's miracle was that I woke up without a hangover. Then my parents showed up, and I briefly felt like I had a hang over, but then they left, and the feeling went away.
For me, 2005 rocked pretty hard - we got our new house, I directed a play I'm super proud of, and the play I wrote got accepted to that big theatre in TO. Basically, 2006 will only rock as hard as 2005 if I have actual genie-in-a-lamp-style wishes come true.
Hugs to all - may 2006 be a year full of meaningful moments!
-
For my first New Year's Eve on the West Coast, I watched the ball drop at an odd 9 PM, then dinked around on the internet and went to bed at 12:30. It wasn't awesome, but it also wasn't my worst New Year's ever.
That distinction will always go to New Year's Eve 2001, which I spent in my 90-year old grandmother's house watching Lawrence Welk with absolutely nothing to talk about and going to bed on the sofa in the study at 10 PM. It's nice knowing that I got that one out of the way relatively early.
-
My New Year's miracle was that I woke up without a hangover. Then my parents showed up, and I briefly felt like I had a hang over, but then they left, and the feeling went away.
That's awesome... "Mom, your visits feel like the morning after."
-
Last year the SO and I had to go to my parents house to cat-sit and grandma-sit. We ordered in indian food and went to bed just after midnight. We couldn't even get it on because we were in my parents bed with the kitten.
This year we just went to Clyde's. It was fun but the DJ was craptacular. He played a dance remix of Stayin' Alive. Last time I checked that is already a song that people want to dance to. A dance remix is completely unnecessary.
-
It was fun but the DJ was craptacular. He played a dance remix of Stayin' Alive. Last time I checked that is already a song that people want to dance to. A dance remix is completely unnecessary.
Is that the one Puff Daddy was responsible for? If it is, it's the same thing the DJ played at the New Years Eve event I went to. Fuck that shit.
-
Fuck that shit. Man I love saying that.
~Paul
-
mannn! stayin' alive? fuck that shit!
that's when you whip out a walkman, and listen to the original version, and give derisive looks to everyone around you while dancing. being a music snob about horrible pop songs is be most fun.