The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: misterhaan on September 02, 2003, 06:08:01 pm
-
yes, this is a 'go to my site' post, and i'm not sure if you'd call them a web comic, though you can get there through the internet and they are comics. i drew these in high school in a notebook or two:
the nazi teacher party (http://www.track7.org/av/nazi.php) (4 comics)
the many deaths of mr. linzmeyer (http://www.track7.org/av/linz.php) (3 comics)
don't worry, i don't plan on making any more of these. feel free to tell me what you think though, not that i need to say that . . .
-
funny and icecold
-
thanks, hope you enjoyed them.
i would like to point out that while the guy with the hat / long hair is supposed to be me, i no longer have the long hair, and haven't worn hats much since my high school outlawed them before my junior year. also, no teachers or students were harmed in the production of these comics.
-
Your school outlawed hats? That's really saddening. Some people need hats to live.
-
When hats are outlawed, only outlaws can wear hats.
I went to HS about 20 years ago. We weren't even allowed to wear shorts. I look at HS now and I can't believe they would ban anything anymore.
I'm a curmudegeonly old man now.
-
Yeah, we weren't allowed to wear hats in school either. Shorts were okay, but they had to be (I swear) within a certain number of inches above the knee or less.
And this was in *public* school. I went to Catholic school from first through sixth grade and they would call your parents to come take you home if your HAIR TOUCHED YOUR COLLAR (boys only).
And we had to wear a uniform, and that uniform had to be purchased at a certain place (the school got kickback money, of course).
And when the teacher said to be quiet you were QUIET or the nun twisted your ear.
My second grade teacher, Sister Rosita (a lovely saintly woman in her 80s when I was in school) had one hell of a wrist-lock which she applied with surprising strength when you had some contraband that she wanted to confiscate (and you refused to hand to her).
And in MY DAY, if a kid ever mouthed off to an adult, that kid would get fuck*ng BEAT DOWN by that adult. And if you complained to your parents, they'd hit you again for mouthing off to the neighbour.
I guess what I'm saying is that violence is *nostalgia* for me. But that wasn't my original point.
-
When hats are outlawed, only outlaws can wear hats.
And if marriage were outlawed, only outlaws would have in-laws.
-
Jough, my mother had many stories to tell about Violent Nun Exploits from her elementary school days, so I'm pretty glad my school is secular, and not particularly given to violence.
As for hats, most teachers allow 'em, anthem nonwithstanding, although I try to avoid that business altogether.
-
well actually i can tell more of the story with no hats if you guys are interested . . .
these comics are from my sophomore year, at which time we were allowed to wear hats and coats inside the buildings if we so desired, unless the teacher said 'not in my class.' i think they had to do it this way because at the time the two buildings were separate and we had to walk outside between classes. anyway the leader of the nazi teacher party had us in a non-standard desk arrangement (which is nice) and would let us wear hats and chew gum and whatever freedoms we could have that were within his power to take away. the class was called 'western cultures' and eventually we got to our world war ii unit. shortly after we started that, he went all dictator on us and put the desks back in rows and wouldn't let us wear hats and basically took away all our freedoms short of having to wear armbands with our student id numbers.
the school had also started construction on 'the link' which was a hallway with a (small) cafeteria and a few classrooms that would connect the two buildings. this allowed them to take away freedoms wholesale, making it illegal for students to go outside, wear hats / coats in the building, go home for lunch, and other such things. i lived a few blocks from the school so i walked home and ate lunch my first 2 years, but my third year i wasn't allowed to. they actually had a guy whose job it was to patrol the halls / parking lot to make sure that nobody was there during classes or outside between classes without a pass.
a memorable altercation i had with said lackey during my senior year:
lackey: (comes up to me, leaning against a wall during class time) "where are you supposed to be?"
me: (looks down at feet) "oh, i'm sorry . . ." (takes step to the side) ". . . i was supposed to be over here."
lackey: (completely confused, continues his patrol of the hall)
-
Jough, my mother had many stories to tell [that were like yours]
Thank you, 'lucia. You've made me officially OLD today.
I'll blame you when the gray hairs start coming in in FORCE.
-
Jough, jough, jough. Scary catholic schools have been around since the beginning of time. Some of my good friends attend one right now. Says nothing about your age, chum.
-
The sad part is that I'm probably closer to your mother's age. Mentally, anyway. I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon that mumbles to himself about not knowing these kids' music today.
I mean, my music is considered retro and kitch these days. I was surprised, though, how many people were singing along with "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" when I played it on the jukebox in this dive bar on Friday.
-
Heh. Me too, jough. My number one fave activity is to complain about the kids these days and their terrible clothing/music. Seriously, I'm surprised no-one at my school has ever taken the initiative to beat me up.
And I might add that I was listening to "There is A Light that Never Goes Out" this morning.
-
Yes, but when I sang it, I *meant* it.
I just embrace my feminine side and sing Morrissey with utter delight. Even the trite stuff, like "Vicar in a Tutu" brings me so much happiness I just want to hug someone and walk around with gladiolas hanging out of my hip pocket.
I could never get into the Cure, though. I like Boys Don't Cry, and Jumping Someone Else's Train, but I could just never get into Robert Smith - I think he's too whine-y, rather than mope-y.
-
What about 'Killing an Arab'?
Existentialism + 80s pop? One would need be mad to resist!
-
Yes, Killing An Arab is actually my FAVOURITE Cure song. I can't believe I forgot that one.
Anything that references Camus automatically gets my vote, but that they do so with such a great early-Joy-Division-esque vibe is all the better.
-
I haven't heard Killing An Arab, but IMHO, any song based on Camus has to be excellent. (Tangentially, has there been a band called "The Myth of Sisyphus" yet? Because that would be a wonderful band name, to the point that I sort of want to make a band just to claim it.)
Guilty confession: even though I know what a stupid mistake it is, my brain keeps inexplicably confusing the Cure with Rush. I may need a lobotomy.
-
I don't know if there's a band named "The Myth of Sisyphus," but I wrote a short story about Mrs. Sisyphus who was making bread while waiting for her husband to come home.
-
Rock on, Jough. Just totally rock on.
Does her bread keep spontaneously collapsing in the oven just as it's about to be done baking?
-
Well, she has to keep kneading it, of course.
-
i moved my comics to a different section on my site, so i updated the links above. also i changed how they get displayed--now you only see one at a time. also (and i can't remember if it was this way before or not) you can now post comments! right now the comments aren't specific to which exact one you are looking at, but they are separate for the nazi comics and the linz comics. take a look again if you like, otherwise feel free to ignore me . . .
also, most of my site is up on my new host, but there are a couple things i'm still working on
-
This is the first I noticed of this, and I'm going to stick with "if you can't say anything nice" for the most part - except for mr linzmeyer comic 3 panel 1, I could have done without "nigger spray" probably. There is something nice about comic 1 panel 4, though.
-
Dude, the writing is so small and scribbly that I can't read it.
Nice effort, though.
-
yeah i need to get better scans of them--i actually replaced the handwritten text with a font on one or two of them i think, but really i think better scans will help the most--or maybe i need to get bigger scans :)
-
I was never allowed to wear a hat in school, but I think coats were ok. and a few years after graduating, the high school adopted a stricter dress code, regulating length of skirts/shorts, and I even think something about if a girl is wearing a tank top, she either has to wear a matching color bra or no bra at all. I'm not 100% sure on the exact outlines of it, or if the guidelines are even still in place, but it was kind of odd to have such stipulations
-
My high school had a "no hats" policy, but being Jewish I'm technically under commandment to keep my head covered at all times except in private. So I wore a beret and "forgot" to wear a yarmulke underneath so that it would be a violation of the commandment for me to take off the beret, and eventually they just gave up trying to get me to take it off. By my senior year they'd amended the rule to "no hats with brims during class"; I don't know if I had anything to do with that but it's nice to think that I did.
-
Yeah, we weren't allowed to wear hats in school either.
A friend of mine took to wearing flip-flops in school, and they kept calling his mother to bring him shoes to wear, because they said the flip-flops were a safety hazzard.
The next year the school rule book specifically said that you could not wear flip-flops. Awesome.
-
At my school (where I teach, not attend), no hats, flip-flops, skirts/shorts that are too short, and, most recently, no pink. One of the "gangs" (actually just the jr. high kids that the real gangs use to sell their drugs) started wearing pink. Of all the colors for a bunch of thugs-in-training: pink?
Don't need I throwback/I look clean in my white tee.
-
Weird, I haven't suffered under a no-hats rule since elementary school. I rarely even get forced to remove the fedora that I count among my occasional affectations during the anthem.
-
Despite the older teachers protests my school went with "no hats in the classroom" and a lot of guys really did wear their hats just for the 6 minutes they spent in the hall.